Author Topic: Elite's Top 50 Albums v. 'Elitism'; The first arrives.  (Read 36879 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: Elite's Top 50 Albums v. 'Elitism'; The sun sets forever over DTF
« Reply #210 on: May 02, 2012, 08:00:13 PM »
Don't worry about Nick.  We trained him to hate awesome music, as a joke.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #211 on: May 02, 2012, 11:46:02 PM »
Woohoo, Blackwater Park is my favorite Opeth album as well  :metal

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #212 on: May 03, 2012, 02:50:16 AM »
Don't worry about Nick.  We trained him to hate awesome music, as a joke.

:lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: May 03, 2012, 04:16:20 AM »
Well, Blackwater park is completely different from Heritage. Not only are there growls on it, they are monstrously huge and I guess there's about as much growling as there is 'normal' singing, maybe slightly less. I would just recommend you try it out though. I used to really dislike growls prior to hearing this album and this album made me appreciate them, though I still won't listen to everything with growls.

I gave it a try yesterday. I thought that if the music was good enough I could handle the growls like it happens with Devy, but it seems Opeth is not for me.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #214 on: May 03, 2012, 09:03:45 AM »
>Insinuating Opeth isn't good music.

No, I get it that some music just isn't for anyone, which is good, because it gives us different tastes :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's Top 50 Albums v. 'Elitism'; Does anybody feel this way?
« Reply #215 on: May 03, 2012, 05:21:23 PM »
And due to insanely popular demand, I bring to you now, the number 3.

3. dredg – El Cielo (2002)

Well, here we have it. The third and final dredg album to make my list. El Cielo, from front to back is one of the most coherent records I’ve ever heard, even though it might not seem like that at first listen. Every single song is awesome, apart from maybe the opening track, which is basically just some noise and a fitting introduction. From the moment the album starts though, with the great driving bass of Same Ol’ Road, you’re taken on a journey that won’t end until you hear the fantastic angelic choirs at the end of The Canyon Behind Her. The latter is the perfect closer to this album and to me, at the moment, the best and my favourite song ever written. Utter and complete perfection, with a beautiful musical journey through various genres and style on you road towards the end. dredg is my favourite non-prog/metal band and this album is the main reason why. A short write-up, but I have not a whole lot more to say. This album is gold and pure art. The only way you can experience it the same way is to just listen to it and to allow yourself to be amazed by the beautiful music this album has to offer.

Favourite song: The Canyon Behind Her
Other songs worth checking out: The rest, but particularly Triangle, Of The Room and Same ol’ Road
Squ

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #216 on: May 03, 2012, 05:22:19 PM »
I have seen this in at least 3 peoples' top 5's. I should probably listen. I really like CWA  :metal

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #217 on: May 03, 2012, 05:31:49 PM »
El Cielo is magnificent.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #218 on: May 03, 2012, 05:37:52 PM »
Not Only my 3rd favorite Dredg album, but still fantastic!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: May 03, 2012, 06:00:57 PM »
Ahh, this is one of those bands that a lot of people here like but I haven't listened to yet.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #220 on: May 03, 2012, 06:33:50 PM »
Ahh, this is one of those bands that a lot of people here like but I haven't listened to yet.

Same.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #221 on: May 04, 2012, 03:23:24 AM »
I recommend to start with Catch Without Arms, because that's more easily accessible. Please note that it's also very different from El Cielo and the other album I have mentioned in this top 50, 'The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion'. Needless to say, I think all three of those are very good, so I definitely recommend them to anyone.
Squ

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #222 on: May 04, 2012, 05:01:18 AM »
Great album!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: May 04, 2012, 05:03:22 AM »
I really like Catch Without Arms, I will check out El Cielo.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #224 on: May 04, 2012, 04:47:17 PM »
Bloody hell Elite, this ranking has been epically good recently. So great to see Visions so high, it's an amazing album, and Nick basically proved that it's Haken's best by expressing a preference for Aquarius. So much failure, that boy.

Although I'm going to do something similar and express my disinterest in El Cielo. I love Dredg, but I've heard that album a few times and while I like it, I just think it's not that great. Probably my least favourite of their albums.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's Top 50 Albums v. 'Elitism'; I left a dying world behind.
« Reply #225 on: May 04, 2012, 04:56:18 PM »
Thanks!

Time to screw some things up then! I can already feel the distaste for the next album, but then again.. I don't really care, for this next one is one of my favourites ever and there's no album in the world I can see sitting at the #2 spot right now.

Let's hear it for:

2. Shadow Gallery – Legacy (2001)

This album goes back to my childhood again. I think I must have been around 12 the first time I casually heard this album from my mother’s stereo system or in her car. Considering the hate Shadow Gallery apparently gets, I must be mad to place an album of theirs so high, shouldn’t I? The correct answer is obviously ‘no’ to anyone who has heard this magnificent piece of music and could appreciate it as much as I did. I could never understand why anybody who likes progressive metal would dismiss Shadow Gallery easily, because to me, they are one of the better progressive metal bands around, hence their ultra-high placement in this top 50. Legacy is their crowning achievement for me, from the awesome beginning of Cliffhanger 2 to the glorious ending of the epic First Light. This album, consisting of only 6 songs rocks from front to end. Having seen Shadow Gallery live twice and having talked to the guys made me appreciate the stuff even more. Shadow Gallery is a very good progressive metal band, with a close focus on strong songs and great vocal harmonies. The band is mainly a studio band, as their abstinence from touring has proved. Consisting of a duo of guitarists, a keyboard player, bassist, drummer and singer, the band has a wide array of sounds and shares vocal duties, as is audible in their harmonies. They even have a flute playing in Destination Unknown, my favourite track off the album, by bassist Carl-Cadden James. The song Colors is a great ballad and Society of the Mind is another cool track, but probably the weakest on an album full of strong tracks. The title track Legacy is the most ‘metal’ it gets on this album, with the heavy down tuned guitar sounds (only to D though, for the musicians) into a very good modern sounding progressive rock song. First Light is the epic of Shadow Gallery songs, the longest they have done (running at 23 minutes, followed by a couple of minutes of silence, before the return to a finale) and a great closer to a great album. I really can’t put to words why I like this album so much that I put it in the #2 spot on my top favourite albums ever. The only thing I can suggest is you listen to it, see for yourself and appreciate the craft, the musicianship and the overall completeness that is this album. While this isn’t as flashy as some stuff on here, while it isn’t as technically daunting or heavy, to me, this is one of the best albums ever created.

Thank you, Shadow Gallery, for giving me, and us, your awesome music and rest in peace, Mike Baker.

Favourite song: Destination Unknown
Other songs worth checking out: The rest
Squ

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #226 on: May 04, 2012, 05:01:45 PM »
Nice dude!  I never see this album talked about around here.  This is actually the only Shadow Gallery album I own and the only one I've ever even heard.  I bought it on a whim years ago because they were compared to Dream Theater (whom I was obsessed with at the time) and I've always really enjoyed it. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #227 on: May 04, 2012, 05:47:22 PM »
Very good album, not a HUGE Shadow Gallery fan, but that's probably my favourite from them. Very solid album!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: May 04, 2012, 06:36:32 PM »
Nice write up. Nick is the biggest SG fanboi around, wih The Doc and I following closely behind. Love everything Gary touches. Great band. great album. first Lght is an epic masterpiece.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #229 on: May 05, 2012, 06:01:11 AM »
Bloody hell Elite, this ranking has been epically good recently. So great to see Visions so high, it's an amazing album, and Nick basically proved that it's Haken's best by expressing a preference for Aquarius. So much failure, that boy.

Thanks! :lol Visions is awesome indeed, can't wait to see the guys live again. I love Haken :)

@Ryzee: That's probably because people on DTF don't really like Shadow Gallery for some reason. Like I tried to express in that write-up, I don't get where the dislike comes from at all. I think they're a brilliant band and especially Legacy is an awesome album in my eyes.

Nice write up. Nick is the biggest SG fanboi around, wih The Doc and I following closely behind. Love everything Gary touches. Great band. great album. first Lght is an epic masterpiece.

Alright then, can I join your ranks? :P Gary Wehrkamp is an amazing musician, and versatile as hell. When I saw them live he handled the keyboards and guitars and vocal duties and even played the drums on one song. Glad there's more people who like Legacy. First Light is indeed an amazing song. I'll take it over quite a lot of prog epics every day.
Squ

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: May 05, 2012, 08:24:29 AM »
I <3 El Cielo!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #231 on: May 05, 2012, 12:51:59 PM »
Nick is the biggest SG fanboi around, wih The Doc and I following closely behind.

Fuck dat.  I claim this crown.  Just because Nick lives near them doesn't make him the biggest fan.  I've been a fan twice as long as him - since 1998, and went to great lengths to see their only live show in the United States.

Legacy is a great album, but I like Tyranny and Room V just a bit more.  I'm not going to complain about any SG album here though.  Fuck the haters.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: May 05, 2012, 01:08:11 PM »
Aaallllll riight ... quit gettin your panties in a bunch. But you can only claim top fanboi once. You want Pauly, or SG?  Quit hogging.  :D

Can't wait for your #1 pick.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #233 on: May 05, 2012, 01:20:37 PM »
I want to be the biggest SG fanboy too :lol Given my age, it's probably quite a feat I've 'known' them, however much unconsciously, for a good part of my life. Tyranny and Room V are both very awesome as well, but I feel Room V drags a bit with the sort tracks in the middle. And Tyranny has New World Order, which is great. I really hope the guys will take to the stage once more, because I would very much like to see them again. Also considering they're an American band, I found it very weird they only did one show there and a whole tour in Europe.. Also:

Fuck the haters.

And the number 1 is a bit slow at the moment and couldn't make the forums tonight, so y'all have to wait a little..
Any thoughts on what it could be?
Squ

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #234 on: May 06, 2012, 04:13:16 AM »
El Cielo is awesome. What makes it even greater is that even the interludes (brushstrokes) are amazing and not just filler transition songs. Elephant on the Delta Waves and Walk in the Park are some of my favorite tracks on the record.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #235 on: May 06, 2012, 05:21:37 AM »
my guess:
1st: Faith No More - Angel Dust
I love beautiful things.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #236 on: May 06, 2012, 05:26:15 AM »
Shadow Gallery..it is now safe for me to re-enter the thread.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: May 06, 2012, 07:42:03 AM »
Where's number 1?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #238 on: May 06, 2012, 11:13:15 AM »
In my CD-rack, chilling with my other CDs. It will come down to the computer shortly.
Squ

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #239 on: May 06, 2012, 12:06:36 PM »
Nick is the biggest SG fanboi around, wih The Doc and I following closely behind.

Fuck dat.  I claim this crown.  Just because Nick lives near them doesn't make him the biggest fan.  I've been a fan twice as long as him - since 1998, and went to great lengths to see their only live show in the United States.

Legacy is a great album, but I like Tyranny and Room V just a bit more.  I'm not going to complain about any SG album here though.  Fuck the haters.

Your claim is rejected, sorry. :p

Your failure to see that Room V is the best them just shows that your fandom is not in proper order.

And while there are several albums I'd put over this one, it's quite fantastic and I'm very happy to see SG on any list.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #240 on: May 07, 2012, 12:43:30 PM »
tell us the 1st!!!!
I love beautiful things.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #242 on: May 07, 2012, 01:47:13 PM »
^ lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #243 on: May 07, 2012, 04:00:49 PM »
It's coming very, very soon. I'm just shaping up the final write-up.
Squ

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #244 on: May 07, 2012, 04:05:32 PM »
I've found out what #1 is...