Author Topic: Elite's Top 50 Albums v. 'Elitism'; The first arrives.  (Read 36598 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Elite's Top 50 Albums v. 'Elitism'; THE TOP 10; 60 minutes.
« Reply #140 on: April 25, 2012, 04:32:05 PM »
I love One Hour.  It's not my fav cd from them, but I seriously never understood the dislike for the album, I think it's amazing, good pick.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #141 on: April 25, 2012, 05:40:14 PM »
One Hour is pretty underrated, awesome album. It's not in my personal top5 PoS-albums, but it does get way more shit then it deserves, and it has several killer songs. So nice pick.  :tup

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: April 25, 2012, 05:42:00 PM »
I put One Hour easily above the debut and both RS albums.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #143 on: April 25, 2012, 05:52:29 PM »
Well Entropia is one of my three favorite albums by PoS (tied with TPE and BE), but I'd take One Hour over Scarsick and Road Salt One at least.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #144 on: April 26, 2012, 12:15:26 AM »
I really enjoy all of their albums but Scarsick. So, Nick, I can never understand why you put that above The Perfect Element in you top 50. Glad there's more people that actually like OHBTCL, though I'm definitely in the majority in regarding it as their best.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's Top 50 Albums v. 'Elitism'; THE TOP 10; DTF is not sleeping.
« Reply #145 on: April 26, 2012, 01:26:42 PM »
9. Dream Theater – Awake (1994)

Welcome to the Dream Theater Forums, where many people rejoice about once having loved Dream Theater, but now don't really care for the band anymore, until they release something new. In the meantime, talk goes about other stuff, other music and random bullshit. So here we are, 42 places into my own top 50 albums ever and the first Dream Theater album makes an appearance. Simply put, Awake is awesome. Back when I was discovering Dream Theater, after having listened to Images & Words and Metropolis, I looked through my mother's CD drawer for more Dream Theater stuff and got this one out, because of the cover. 6:00 blew my mind and the rest of the album following it. Amazing stuff, SO ENERGY, SO POWAH. No wonder those Japanese fans dig this stuff. This album contains some of my favourite Dream Theater songs, with Space-Dye Vest, the best closer Dream Theater has done to any album (yes, come at me, all you LTL-lovers) as the ending of the best triple punch Dream Theater has done, this album doesn't go wrong anywhere. It has helped me through (tough) times (even cycling from home to school) and remains amazing years after having heard it for the first time. Dubbed one of the most diverse Dream Theater albums by me, it is yet very recognisable for its sound. Also, John Petrucci's guitar tone never got as good as the one recorded on Awake. To end this silly write-up; seriously, if you haven't heard this and you're browsing these forums; get off. This stuff is awesome.

Favourite song: The whole thing
Songs worth checking out in particular: Scarred, Space-Dye Vest, Voices, Innocence Faded
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #146 on: April 26, 2012, 02:20:44 PM »
I'm surprised there is no Muse (yet?)  I honestly see them as the Pink Floyd of our time.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: April 26, 2012, 02:21:28 PM »
Not in my top 10 but a great album nonetheless. I like your list dude  :tup
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #148 on: April 26, 2012, 02:26:48 PM »
Your mom sounds hawt.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #149 on: April 26, 2012, 03:10:33 PM »
Far and away DT's best album.  :tup

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: April 26, 2012, 05:18:49 PM »
I can't believe your mom had Awake in her CD drawer. That's awesome.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #151 on: April 27, 2012, 12:04:58 AM »
Great album but there are a few others I prefer from DT first.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #152 on: April 27, 2012, 05:43:58 AM »
I'm with you on the SDV love. Scarred is my #3 DT song and SDV is my #5.

To me, the album doesn't really kick off until Erotomania.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #153 on: April 27, 2012, 06:08:06 AM »
I'm surprised there is no Muse (yet?)  I honestly see them as the Pink Floyd of our time.

I don't know what would make you think I put Muse in here, but sorry to spoil you; there's no Muse on my list. I do like them though, in a way, but not enough for me to include them here.

Not in my top 10 but a great album nonetheless. I like your list dude  :tup

thanks for following! :biggrin:

Your mom sounds hawt.

Based solely on her CDdrawer? :lol

Far and away DT's best album.  :tup

no comment

I can't believe your mom had Awake in her CD drawer. That's awesome.

Yes, yes it is.

Great album but there are a few others I prefer from DT first.

again, no comment ;)

I'm with you on the SDV love. Scarred is my #3 DT song and SDV is my #5.

To me, the album doesn't really kick off until Erotomania.

Awesome, the last three songs are just so good to me, though I really love all of it, the first 3 tracks as well.
Squ

Offline Mladen

« Reply #154 on: April 27, 2012, 07:46:38 AM »
Wow, it's been three weeks since the last time I checked out this thread. Here are the albums that you listed since then and that I think are at least awesome:

Animals (one of my all time favorites)
Abbey road
Close to the edge
Red
Dark side of the moon
Awake

I hope I won't forget about this thread, the top 10 is gonna be fun.  :tup

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #155 on: April 27, 2012, 11:51:25 AM »
picks 10 and 9 =  :metal  :hefdaddy
it's probably too hard for me to pick a favorite POS album, but i might be able to go on record as saying one hour has the best flow of any POS album. i'll have to think about it further before i lock in that answer.

really?! i mean, i like both bands, but i dont see it (the comparison, not the MIA from the list).

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #156 on: April 27, 2012, 01:40:15 PM »
I don't even care if it's a band I like, but the next pick better be a band's better effort, because the last two have been weaker efforts from great bands.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #157 on: April 27, 2012, 01:41:42 PM »
Awake is a weaker effort from DT??  Trippin.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #158 on: April 27, 2012, 01:47:43 PM »
It's a great album, but DT has at least a half dozen better ones.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Ryzee

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #160 on: April 27, 2012, 01:53:15 PM »

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #161 on: April 27, 2012, 01:58:51 PM »
Fair enough.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
:lol Nick, I think I'll have to disappoint you with the next pick, judging by your own top 50, but I'll go with it anyway. I must say, the next one probably was the most difficult out of my entire list and the write-up I did for it kind of shows a bit why. Also, I'm sorry you don't like One Hour or Awake, you're missing out on two great albums!  :biggrin:

Anyway, number 8;

8. Haken – Visions (2011)

This might be the part where I lose all my credibility (unless that was somewhere before when I didn't really notice). If you’ve been following this, you might not have thought this album would be included after the praise I gave to ‘Aquarius’. To include an album only released a couple of months ago above a Dream Theater album I just praised so much and have known for so long might come off as kind of weird. Also putting it above Haken's debut album 'Aquarius', which is still getting much praise might be shocking to those Haken fans out there. Let me put it this way; Haken could not have hoped for a better second album. Visions does all that Aquarius did well (including the order and types of songs, which they got away with), made it better, matured it and ridded it of its minor annoying anomalies. Simply put; this album is good, very good, and this band really is going to get somewhere, I can definitely feel that. The music has matured, though the lyrics are still somewhat weird and the band is getting into more actual progressive songwriting. Though the 'fun'-bits have lost out a bit on this album (we still get an awesome 8-bit thing in the wonderful Insomnia though), I think this only goes to improve the music. On Aquarius, nice as they were, some of the 'circus' or 'fun' metal parts distracted your attention and hindered the flow of the music. Though the band hasn't recaptured the magic of the song Celestial Elixir, the total product is more consistent in flow and quality. Even with two instrumentals on the album, the flow is fantastic. Although it consists of 8 separate tracks, repeatedly have I made the notion that in fact it can be viewed as 5. Premotion flows flawlessly into Nocturnal Conspiracy and Portals is seamlessly connected to The Mind’s Eye before it and Shapeshifter after it, acting as some sort of instrumental bridge between the songs. Shapeshifter even reprises one of the more important theme from The Mind’s Eye. Oh, and Deathless is one of the most beautiful songs ever written, and doubtlessly my favourite of 2011. The album closer and title-track Visions wraps up the whole album in a fantastic reprise of some important themes and the finale is absolutely beautiful, those bells get me every time. This is top-notch stuff. Listen to it, you will not be disappointed. Haken is a band to look out for in the future and this album, as well as ‘Aquarius’, are the reasons why. Do yourself a favour and listen to this awesome stuff.

Favourite song: Deathless
Other songs worth checking out: Visions, Nocturnal Conspiracy, Insomnia
Squ

Kosmo

I can't really decide which Haken album I prefer. I've had more time with Aquarius so I'm really used to the songs but Visions is, as you said everything the debut had but more.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
asd,.gal;dkgjdzlfgjkzclgnmaldftj

Good as it is, Aquarius is definitely the better album!!! :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
They are both very good and very close to each other in my rankings.
I love them both, but Visions just edges Aquarius in overall quality for me.

I love how tastes differ :)
Squ

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
:clap:

I used to prefer Aquarius but in time Visions grew a lot better. Regardless of the discussion about which one is the better album, both of them are masterpieces.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's Top 50 Albums v. 'Elitism'; THE TOP 10; Elements, all 4 of them.
« Reply #167 on: April 28, 2012, 04:01:54 PM »
7. Thrice – The Alchemy Index (2007/2008)

I know. I know. These are two albums and those who don’t actually own the CDs might even think it’s 4 separate EPs. Although both parts were released in two separate years, the thing is, very much a whole. This album contains one of the most interesting concepts I’ve ever heard brought to music. What Thrice did on this is they took the four principal elements (Fire, Water, Air and Earth, in that order) and made 6 songs based both lyrically and musically on that specific element. To wrap it all up, the last song on each separate disc (yeah, the CDs are printed with a CD for each element) has the lyrics written in a Shakespearian sonnet, specifically about the particular element, of which the last two lines of each sonnet share the exact same melody, albeit in different keys. Of course, if you’re planning to make a concept such as this work, you must make sure the music is vastly different and it is. Fire is very frantic, heavy and jumpy, exactly as one would experience fire. Water is lush, with lots of keyboards and ambient, even ‘watery’ sounds. Air is very thin, with basic songs with the occasional outburst and Earth is very stripped-down to the basics, with almost all acoustic songs. Every single disc of this massive project truly delivers and it is wonderful how such a concept can be vocalized and turned to music. Certainly, Thrice have done a perfect job creating one of the most unique sounding and diverse albums I have ever heard.

Favourite song: Daedalus (off of Air)
Other songs worth checking out: on Fire: Firebreather, The Flame Deluge; on Water: Open Water, Night Diving; on Air: Song for Milly Michaelson, Silver Wings; on Earth: Digging My Own Grave, Come All You Weary

But really, just all of it.
Squ

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #168 on: April 28, 2012, 05:06:37 PM »
Great pick!!

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #169 on: April 28, 2012, 08:16:30 PM »
9. Dream Theater – Awake (1994)

Welcome to the Dream Theater Forums, where many people rejoice about once having loved Dream Theater, but now don't really care for the band anymore, until they release something new. In the meantime, talk goes about other stuff, other music and random bullshit. So here we are, 42 places into my own top 50 albums ever and the first Dream Theater album makes an appearance. Simply put, Awake is awesome. Back when I was discovering Dream Theater, after having listened to Images & Words and Metropolis, I looked through my mother's CD drawer for more Dream Theater stuff and got this one out, because of the cover. 6:00 blew my mind and the rest of the album following it. Amazing stuff, SO ENERGY, SO POWAH. No wonder those Japanese fans dig this stuff. This album contains some of my favourite Dream Theater songs, with Space-Dye Vest, the best closer Dream Theater has done to any album (yes, come at me, all you LTL-lovers) as the ending of the best triple punch Dream Theater has done, this album doesn't go wrong anywhere. It has helped me through (tough) times (even cycling from home to school) and remains amazing years after having heard it for the first time. Dubbed one of the most diverse Dream Theater albums by me, it is yet very recognisable for its sound. Also, John Petrucci's guitar tone never got as good as the one recorded on Awake. To end this silly write-up; seriously, if you haven't heard this and you're browsing these forums; get off. This stuff is awesome.

Favourite song: The whole thing
Songs worth checking out in particular: Scarred, Space-Dye Vest, Voices, Innocence Faded

Such an awesome album.. it's been a while since I've listened to it... just cued it up and yesssss  :hat

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #170 on: April 28, 2012, 09:07:04 PM »
All of the past albums are absolutely exceptional. Listening to Visions as we speak!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #171 on: April 28, 2012, 10:03:46 PM »
Funny, I actually almost bought that Thrice album today. I was in FYE and found it and another album I was kinda interested in used, and needed a third for an extra 30% off. Then my girlfriend came and collected me and I decided it was a sign to stop browsing and save the money.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #172 on: April 29, 2012, 06:11:52 AM »
A shame, for they are great albums. Did you get anything else in the end?
Squ

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #173 on: April 29, 2012, 01:24:53 PM »
Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen, and Nitrogen would like to have a long discussion with you.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #174 on: April 29, 2012, 04:20:35 PM »
Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen, and Nitrogen would like to have a long discussion with you.
:lol