Author Topic: Elite's Top 50 Albums v. 'Elitism'; The first arrives.  (Read 36857 times)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Elite's Top 50 Albums EVER! v. 'Elitism'; A colo(u)rful update
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2012, 02:13:52 PM »
Last two updates have been awesome. WHBWH, Colors, Bath, TPTPTD and MAYH...  :hefdaddy

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2012, 02:36:07 PM »
Wow, you got great taste! Colors, Aquarius, Bath, Red, and Argus are all 5/5 albums for me. :tup Bath being top 5 all time for me probably.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2012, 03:10:55 PM »
Thanks! Now let's hope I won't disappoint everybody with the rest of the list  :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2012, 03:14:09 PM »
The Anathema and Haken albums are great.  :tup
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2012, 03:32:51 PM »
I have no qualms with your last four albums.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2012, 03:49:42 PM »
The Anathema, Haken, and Dredg are fantastic, but I've never really understood the love for Red.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #111 on: April 22, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »
Absolutely amazing update. You already know what I think about those bands.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: April 22, 2012, 04:25:48 PM »
but I've never really understood the love for Red.

:tdwn

Missed that in the list. Another fantastic album that probably makes my top 10.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: April 22, 2012, 05:30:39 PM »
Colors...  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
Also, WHBWH...  :tup :tup
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's Top 50 Albums EVER! v. 'Elitism'; Mis(s)leading 'THE' DTF
« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2012, 04:09:42 PM »
First of all I want to thank you for all your posts and reactions, awesome! Let's see if we can keep this enthusiasm up with the last 14 albums in my list and let's hope I won't disappoint people with some of my choices, though there WILL be controversy, I can say as much as that. Anyway, I just came home from a very tiring day (it's past midnight over here) so without a lot more to say, I'll just copypaste the next two albums here, to maintain the steady ratio of 1 update a day. Tomorrow I will post two more and then it's one a day for the top 10.

Here are number #14 & #13!

14. The Dear Hunter – Act II: The Meaning Of, And All Things Regarding Ms. Leading (2007)

A little ‘fun fact’; this is the last album I’m doing the write-up for. All the other albums have been done at the time of typing this, including all other albums above this. Not that that was really interesting, but I kind of thought it was funny that it’s the album at the 14th spot that got finished the last, and not at the 1st or something. Anyway; The Dear Hunter are one of the more interesting band I fairly recently discovered, mostly due the enormous hype this band has gotten on these forums. They do a blend of indie rock, with a couple of progressive elements and are quite experimental in the sense that they use some pretty wild and unconventional instrumentation for the style of music, like trumpets, a harp, banjos, violin or cellos. The music however is predominantly focused on the basic rock band setup, with Casey Crescenzo, the group’s leader and primary songwriter taking on both vocal and guitar duties. This album is long, certainly for a band that’s labeled as indie rock. Clocking in at almost 80 minutes, the music is split into 15 tracks. 15 tracks, that all have their own feeling and texture. You’ve got to give this band credit for making an album on which the tracks don’t sound the same at all, but nevertheless form something that flows magically and feels like a complete album. For those unfamiliar with the Dear Hunter, I greatly recommend you start with the song Red Hands, a wonderful and accessible song. It was the first song I ever heard from this band and it prompted me to buy the album immediately. Just give it a go, it’s a lot better than I can explain here. Let me just say this is a fantastic record and that you are a horrible human being should you dislike this.

Favourite song: The Bitter Suite 1 & 2: Meeting Ms. Leading & Through The Dime
Other songs worth checking out: Red Hands, The Lake and the River, Dear Ms. Leading

And actually the rest of the album as well.

13. Ayreon – The Human Equation (2004)

This is one of only 5 albums on this entire list that I don’t actually own a physical copy of and considering the high placement, I suppose I should get one soon. I also think this is the longest album on my list and the one with the highest number of different artists playing on it. Well, what is it then? This is Arjen Lucassen’s masterpiece, the brain behind Ayreon. Here he literally took everything and some of the best people the progressive metal scene has to offer and threw it all together in a huge melting pot to create this wonderful album. The music is, obviously, really good and can easily be identified as being ‘Ayreon’, due to the multiple layers and [that] way Arjen records stuff. With some music, you can just hear it instantly. Lucassen took out all his big guns and decided to write one monstrous epic album that revolves around a mysterious incident of a man who gets into a coma by crashing his car in broad daylight. Throughout the album we hear his emotions In his head, portrayed by different singers. Well, on this album we have, amongst others, Dream Theater singer James LaBrie for lead vocals, portraying the comatose man, Opeth singer/grunter Mikael Åkerfeldt as ‘Fear’, ex-Shadow Gallery singer Mike Baker (RIP) as ‘Father’ and Devin Townsend as ‘Rage’. With this rich collage of artists (and yes, there are many more) Arjen Lucassen manages to create an album that is extremely coherent (even visible in the names he gave the tracks) with a compelling story and some very good music. If you have little under 2 hours to spare, this is one of my recommendations.

Favourite song: Day Three: Pain
Other songs worth checking out: Day Fourteen: Pride, Day Eleven: Love, Day Sixteen: Loser, Day Twelve: Trauma
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2012, 04:27:55 PM »
THE is amazing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2012, 04:30:35 PM »
THE <3

Act II is my least favorite TDH record, but still lots of great track.

THE <3
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2012, 05:39:49 PM »
Great picks!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2012, 07:00:56 PM »
Two picks I can get behind. Good choices.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2012, 12:01:01 AM »
Act II is my least favorite TDH record

This must be a joke.

THE <3

This, on the other hand, I can completely relate to.
Squ

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #120 on: April 24, 2012, 12:10:36 AM »
THE is great. Pain is my favourite track also.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #121 on: April 24, 2012, 12:26:51 AM »
Act II is my least favorite TDH record

This must be a joke.
Act I ftw.

Act II is just too damn long.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2012, 03:58:25 AM »
Yesyesyes The Human Equation  :heart

Kosmo

« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2012, 05:45:41 AM »
Act II is the best of the acts, but III is very very close behind.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2012, 06:28:30 AM »
The Human Equation is very much overrated but I guess it's understandable since this is a DT forum and JLB participates in it. Act II on the other hand is a very good album.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
So, here we are. Thanks again for all the reactions and I hope you'll like or recognise the rest. We're almost there, with the last two albums before we reach the magical top 10. For some reason that top fifth of the list has something extra, something that makes it more special. It might be because we use a decimal system and it might also be because those last 10 are really special to me in one way or another. However, before we get there, there's two more awesome album I want to outline here first. Two albums, coincidentally, from 1973, and two albums I could never have excluded from my list. Though this isn't the top 10, this stuff is absolutely amazing and to me, they both belong here.

-------------------

12. Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band – The Wild, The Innocent & The E-Street Shuffle (1973)

I probably will never forget the first time I listened to New York City Serenade, my favourite track from Bruce Springsteen’s second album. It happened one afternoon during the time when I was moving to college. My mother bought this CD in a shop, because she recognized it from her youth, I suppose. One afternoon she walked into my bedroom and put the CD in my CD player and put New York City Serenade on. I had no clue what to expect, put she told me it was very good, so I thought I’d have a go. For the next almost 10 minutes I was staring blindly out my window and listened in awe to the absolute brilliance of this song, never saying a word to break the sound. I was mind blown and one of the first things I did when I moved to my student home where I live now was go down to a CD shop and buy the CD myself. The rest of the album, which I hadn’t heard so far certainly didn’t disappoint at all, the music is absolutely fantastic. While I never really cared for Bruce Springsteen’s generic-ish rock, this album is totally different from what you’d expect from his music. There’s no Born to Run or Dancing in the Dark on here, just 7 very, very good tracks. The music swings on all sides, with some beautiful guitar and saxophone work on the album. Kitty’s Back and Rosalita (Come out Tonight) are two very good examples of this. You could even call this progressive at some points, with an average track length of almost 7 minutes, though the album opener, the shortest track is very well done as well. From start to finish, Springsteen and his band throw their heartland rock at you and they never disappoint, on the entire album. The Wild, The Innocent & The E-Street Shuffle – and specifically New York City Serenade – holds a special place in my heart and that is the reason it has been included in my list.

Favourite song: New York City Serenade
Other songs worth checking out: Rosalita (Come Out Tonight), Kitty’s Back, The E-Street Shuffle

11. Pink Floyd – Dark Side of the Moon (1973)

This might be the most overrated album in all of rock history, but that doesn’t really stop me from loving it. It might just have been overrated because it is that good. Again, I guess not a lot of explanation is needed, since this is one of those albums everybody has heard and can appreciate. The same goes for me. I even chose part of the lyrics from this album for the part I submitted for my yearbook. I thought it summed up my high-school career pretty well. I never listen to the songs on this album separately, only the whole thing in full, as it undoubtedly had been intended by the lords of Pink Floyd, and I always get goose bumps when this albums ends in its wonderful climax. This thing is one of the best ever created, hence its high placement in my ranking of albums.

“And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon”

Favourite song: The whole thing
Songs worth checking out in particular: The whole thing, as it was intended

----------------------------

So, any guesses on the remaining ten?
The first one coming tomorrow..
Squ

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
DSOTM is a classic. Haven't listened to much Springsteen.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Well, to be honest, neither have I really. I know most of his 'classics' and don't really care for them, but TWTI&TES really is that amazing.
Squ

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
This might be the most overrated album in all of rock history
No. The Wall is waaaay more overrated.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Well, to be honest, neither have I really. I know most of his 'classics' and don't really care for them, but TWTI&TES really is that amazing.

I don't know about TWTI&TES, but I do know TITTIES are that amazing  :lol

• DTF.org Member
This might be the most overrated album in all of rock history
No. The Wall is waaaay more overrated.
This.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
My God, two of my favourite albums ever. Nice to see some E Street Shuffle recognition :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
My God, two of my favourite albums ever. Nice to see some E Street Shuffle recognition :tup

Awesome, someone who knows it :)
Squ

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Not personally into either pick, but I definitely feel that they are respectable.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
No guesses for the top 10 at all?

#10 coming up in a couple of hours.
Squ

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
Adrenaline Mob will be #1-10.

Unfortunately I don't know you quite well enough to make any good top 10 guesses.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
No, I figured that no-one would :lol, ah well. I'll just go ahead in a bit.
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's Top 50 Albums v. 'Elitism'; THE TOP 10; 60 minutes.
« Reply #137 on: April 25, 2012, 02:50:24 PM »
A note on the top 10:
Really, this top 10 was killing me. While the albums on the 10th, 9th and 8th spot stayed there consistently, and while I sort-of knew what had to be at the #1 spot, everything shifted around. To me, the next ten albums are all almost equally awesome and I encourage anyone who hasn’t heard any one of the following albums to listen to them now. To me, this is the best of the best.

10. Pain of Salvation – One Hour By The Concrete Lake (1998)

The first of probably a couple controversial picks in my top 10. Yes, ‘One Hour By The Concrete Lake’ is my favourite Pain of Salvation album. Why? I couldn’t tell you, I just like it more than all of their other stuff. Actually, the first PoS album I ever listened to was ‘Scarsick’ and I really didn’t like that. It was years after until I checked out their other stuff when a friend posted me a live video of Handful of Nothing. It has remained my favourite Pain of Salvation song ever since, followed closely by the brilliant Iter Impius from “BE”, elsewhere in my top 50. This album, front to back, feels complete, feels correct and sounds great. It remains a great listen, even after so many times that I’ve heard it. Simply every song on this album is awesome in its own right and together they form a beautiful example of what a progressive metal album should sound like. It has awesome music, a story to tell through the lyrics (about a man who's tired of working his life as part of a 'machine' in a weapon factory. He soon realises that his work brings terror to the world and eventually he dies standing at the edge of Lake Karachay, the most polluted spot on earth. Apparently, standing there for one hour will kill you due to the excess of nuclear waste radiation, hence the album title). Literally every single track on this record is amazing and consists of Daniel Gildenlöw's finest work he's done with Pain of Salvation. The only thing you could hold against this album is the relatively poor production. I will give you that, but all arguments regarding the music to me, are invalid. With a little better production and sound, this album could have been even higher. This write-up really doesn't do the thing justice, but to me, this is Pain of Salvation's best album and my 10th favourite album overall.

Favourite song: Handful of Nothing
Other songs worth checking out: The rest
Squ

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #138 on: April 25, 2012, 03:00:59 PM »

There are at least like... 5 PoS albums that top this one.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #139 on: April 25, 2012, 03:02:09 PM »
Not for me there isn't, but I knew this pick would invoke rage  :lol
Squ