Author Topic: Anything related to automobiles  (Read 100649 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Anything related to automobiles
« Reply #805 on: November 23, 2019, 06:00:48 PM »
That looks better than the Tesla SUV.

You're referring to this?

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #806 on: November 23, 2019, 06:59:38 PM »

Dope  :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #807 on: November 23, 2019, 07:19:35 PM »
Ok, now that I can get behind  :lol

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #808 on: November 23, 2019, 09:00:34 PM »
That looks better than the Tesla SUV.

You're referring to this?

Truck sorry lol, I wasn't fully awake

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #809 on: November 27, 2019, 03:30:25 AM »
After seeing a lot of info trickle out over the last few days, I'm 100% on board with Cybertruck.   

Musk confirmed black

Fan photoshops show potential for other colors (wraps) as well.

It's almost identical in dimensions to the F-150. This photo makes me question rear headroom though.

Even more storage in the already huge bed.

Look how deep that thing is. The lighting rails along the inside are sweet too.

I think the below is pretty sharp. It's wrap someone on Twitter made.

I bet Musk sells a ton of these things.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #810 on: December 02, 2019, 11:13:04 AM »
If the promises are met and the price stays fairly low as advertised, I can see people buying these up. So many preorders already but I do wonder how many of those are serious and will buy them in the end.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #811 on: December 02, 2019, 11:35:49 AM »
Have they explained WHY it looks so butt ugly? That bed rules, but I'd rather take a shot in the pills than be caught riding in that ugly mug.

I want to know just how much of a pain in the ass working on those things will be, how much it'll cost, what kind of insurance rates you'd be looking at, and how expensive parts will be...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #812 on: December 02, 2019, 12:03:59 PM »
People here probably know better than me but I believe that its because of steel they are working with and how there are limitations to how it can be molded.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #813 on: December 03, 2019, 03:15:40 PM »

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #814 on: December 03, 2019, 04:09:52 PM »
Definitely going to need more charging stations in the future

https://www.thedrive.com/news/31274/more-teslas-on-the-road-meant-hours-long-supercharger-lines-over-thanksgiving

It's going to be interesting to see how they tackle that. It doesn't make sense to build out the station to large scales for 1 or 2 busy days a year. I could totally see Elon creating some kind of mobile chargers (80,000lb batteries hauled by Tesla semis) and bringing them to facilities like this for peak weekends or something.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #815 on: December 04, 2019, 06:57:33 AM »
I got bored last night and started making a thing.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #816 on: December 04, 2019, 07:20:30 AM »
For those curious about the taycan Doug Demuro did a review:

https://youtu.be/0vq6KEOIiMg

Offline frogprog

« Reply #817 on: December 11, 2019, 02:12:03 PM »
I'm currently driving  a 2016 F150 4wd  Lariat. This is my 6th F150. Elon Musk is going to work a hell of a lot harder than this to ever convince me to change. That thing looks ridiculous. A moon buggy maybe but a legitimate work truck? I don't think so.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #818 on: December 11, 2019, 09:21:10 PM »
I was driving my 2011 Hyundai Sonata with 103k miles, and the engine seized.  WTF.  It happened to be a Hyundai recall, and they replaced the engine (long block).  So I had a 103k mile sonata with new engine, starter, all belts (serpentine too), 1 yr old brakes (calipers/rotor/pads), 1.5 yr old A/C compressor, and was in fantastic exterior condition.  As we are paying 100k (total) for two girls private high school starting next year, I was perfectly happy with a very sound, and PAID OFF car.

.....until last Thursday night.

I was bringing my 10 yr old to Travel Softball practice, and I get hit by someone running a red light.  Both me and my daughter get whiplash and concussions, and burns from the airbag...in a lot of pain for a while but basically we are ok with what looks to be no permanent damage (fingers crossed).  But my 2011 Sonata is totaled.

.....so I have to get a new car.  FUCK ME I didn't want to shop for a new car.  I didn't know what was out there really, and sure didn't want to have a car payment.
But in the end, after a lot of research, and a few test drives, I am very happy with the new car I got.

2019 Jetta

I am not concerned so much with style, as I am much more concerned with value and substance.  This car is very conservatively styled, which is fine as it wont likely look silly or outdated in a few years.  It is the base model in the dark grey with some flake.  It has the black cloth interior with some carbon and leather trim, and has the alloy wheels.  What impressed me was the butt load of features on the base model...especially after driving a 2011 with no features.  It has large touch screen with apple play and lots of other shit, back up camera, lane change warning/assist, and front end warning/braking.  Got the window tinting thrown in, and an extra set of rubber floor mats.  30/40 mpg with an eco setting to do even better.  Large trunk with split back seat fold down.  1.4L 4-cylinder with turbo.  All LED lights as well.  AND a 6 year, 72,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty!!!!!!!!
All in all a very nice car to suit my needs, and all the tech and safety I could ever hope for.

The best part is I negotiated the price of the car down to $15,486!  (Sticker was $21,125)   I paid $5600 less for this 2019 Jetta with all those features than I did for the 2011 Sonata!
So far the car has exceeded my expectations, from performance, ergonomics, and tech.....and the low price makes it even better....takes the sting out of a car payment when the mileage reimbursement I get from work every month basically pays my car payment.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 09:36:23 PM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #819 on: December 12, 2019, 05:18:22 AM »
Sucks about the accident, glad you and your daughter are okay. But that’s a great deal for the car! Next time I’m buying a new car, I’m bring you with me to help negotiate the price because I am the worse negotiator  :P
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #820 on: December 17, 2019, 03:22:27 PM »
Sounds like a good deal and glad to hear your accident wasn't anymore serious although that sounds pretty bad.  Glad you all are OK and happy with the new car.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #821 on: December 27, 2019, 08:08:23 AM »
Tesla Model Ys are starting to pop up in the wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWuSkpk0xXU&feature=youtu.be

I have to say, I was a little underwhelmed by this model at first, but it's looking sexier every time a closer-to-production model gets spotted. I think the the Y will end up being Tesla's best seller.

I really like it in red. The white above is hot too.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #822 on: January 08, 2020, 08:54:11 AM »
Chino,

I'm sure you would appreciate the concept car from Mercedes Benz inspired by Avatar

This and Honda were probably the coolest, though Honda's looks like a hot tub on wheels.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #823 on: January 08, 2020, 03:52:46 PM »
Neither the before nor after pics will look very good as it's winter in the Northeast, but I dropped my car off this morning for something I never thought I'd ever consider doing 5 or even 1 year ago.

Getting a chrome delete and windows tinted. Handles already have a sticker on them, but they'll be removed and wrapped properly. All the other trim around the window and mirror will be satin black, and I'll be keeping the carbon fiber caps on my side indicators/camera and won't be touching my emblems, which will be the only chrome left on the car. Windows are 35% on everything but the front.

After pic coming Friday late afternoon if I've got enough light left, or Saturday.

Before:
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #824 on: January 09, 2020, 08:54:37 AM »
We currently have two vehicles with close to 85k miles. One is a 2011 and one is a 2014. Both are paid off. I'm considering trading in the 2011 for a 2019 Hybrid with 12K miles. Financially I can afford the payment and want to avoid having to replace both at the the same time.

My long term plan is to replace the 2014 with an electric in 3-5 years and give the proposed 2019 I'm considering to my daughter when she turns 16 in 9 years and upgrade then.

Thoughts on my plan?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #825 on: January 09, 2020, 10:12:32 AM »
A fine plan depending on the hybrid. Just because something is a hybrid doesn't mean it's good tech or the right choice. My Crosstrek hybrid was a nice enough vehicle but Subaru's hybrid tech was atrocious and not worth having. And depending on you needs a small car might be a smarter choice than something large that is a hybrid.

I'm super picky when it comes to vehicles, but as of a year or two ago I'd say top general choices would be the Accord Hybrid (amaaaaaazing value for the money), Prius, or Rav4.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #826 on: January 09, 2020, 10:51:58 AM »
I'd go with a Toyota Hybrid solely based on the fact that they have more experience with the tech than just about anyone else in the industry.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #827 on: January 09, 2020, 11:08:39 AM »
A fine plan depending on the hybrid. Just because something is a hybrid doesn't mean it's good tech or the right choice. My Crosstrek hybrid was a nice enough vehicle but Subaru's hybrid tech was atrocious and not worth having. And depending on you needs a small car might be a smarter choice than something large that is a hybrid.

I'm super picky when it comes to vehicles, but as of a year or two ago I'd say top general choices would be the Accord Hybrid (amaaaaaazing value for the money), Prius, or Rav4.

That is good to know. I was planning to buy a Crosstrek within the next few months, but since I don't have an immediate need for a car I decided to wait another year or two and buy an all electric car. I like the Crosstrek, it's very comfortable and good size (for my taste) but I never tried the Hybrid model.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #828 on: January 09, 2020, 01:03:41 PM »
Thanks for the feedback! I'm looking at a 2019 Ford Fusion Hybrid (I'm a Ford guy) and they appear to have pretty good reviews.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #829 on: January 09, 2020, 04:14:21 PM »
Thanks for the feedback! I'm looking at a 2019 Ford Fusion Hybrid (I'm a Ford guy) and they appear to have pretty good reviews.

Ah, my last car was a Fusion, but it was the Energi plug-in Hybrid and not the straight hybrid. I honestly loved that car for what it was, hybrid tech was good enough. Will be a bit pricier than the similarly stocked Accord, and get a few less MPG, but I just liked it more which is why I ended up going with it. I will say that you either want the Titanium Trim or if they still offer it as an upgrade on the base trim the upgraded audio package. The nicer Sony system they put in that car matched with some good noise cancellation is pretty great.

That is good to know. I was planning to buy a Crosstrek within the next few months, but since I don't have an immediate need for a car I decided to wait another year or two and buy an all electric car. I like the Crosstrek, it's very comfortable and good size (for my taste) but I never tried the Hybrid model.

They have since discontinued that version of the Crosstrek. After a year off they've returned with a plug-in hybrid version of the Crosstrek with tech leased from Toyota I believe. No first hand experience with that version, but the price is quite high and reviews not overly positive. I'd definitely skip and wait for an electric car instead. Model Y should be available at that point as a hatchback alternative, and if you're one of the lucky states with access to the Niro or Kona EV you already have some options.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #830 on: January 11, 2020, 01:04:17 PM »
And here is the before and after, love the look!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #831 on: January 11, 2020, 02:02:04 PM »
Looks way better.

How do you handle the charging? Do you have to run a cord from inside the house?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #832 on: January 11, 2020, 02:21:40 PM »
I'll have to see if I can dig up some pictures, but this was NOT an easy project.

Power in my house comes from dead center, and I have no basement and connected houses on either side. Then there is a yard. Then there is a sidewalk.

Had to run 16' or so next to duct work to get to a closet, then ran in conduit along the top of the closet and down the external wall, drilled through near the bottom of the wall. Then from there another down turn underground. Had to dig a 18" ditch about 25' and put a pole in right by the sidewalk and brought power up there. Then I have a large outdoor mat on the sidewalk that I pull over the cord when I'm plugged in and have the charging cord over the sidewalk.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #833 on: January 11, 2020, 02:53:36 PM »
What you're looking at here is me looking in from the hole in the closet to the vent area. Because I only had limited space in the drop ceiling in the small bathroom next to the circuit breaker I had to put up a 7' piece of 1x1, push it most of the way in, tape it to another piece of 1x1, push it all the way in, and then because I was out of 1x1 I then attached a hockey stick to get it the rest of the way in. Then attached the wire and deconstructed it on the way back out.

Closet area.

The post,

Some of the trench.

And the safety mat.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #834 on: January 11, 2020, 05:44:10 PM »
WOW,

Much respect that you were able to make that happen. I was looking into getting an Electric Motorcycle, but basically have the same problem. And I'm in a 3rd floor condo so I don't think its happening right now  :lol

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #835 on: April 14, 2020, 12:19:27 PM »
So after swearing I would never, ever have another bmw after my last m3 that I got rid of last year I just put my deposit down for a m340i being delivered who knows when due to Covid. I'm going to the performance car delivery in South Carolina when it does arrive which should be exciting. After a few weeks of emailing back and forth across a ton of dealers I got a great price and I'm really pumped. This is the first brand luxury car that I'm getting. The car will look like this except a different interior color:

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #836 on: April 14, 2020, 12:35:43 PM »
So after swearing I would never, ever have another bmw after my last m3 that I got rid of last year I just put my deposit down for a m340i being delivered who knows when due to Covid. I'm going to the performance car delivery in South Carolina when it does arrive which should be exciting. After a few weeks of emailing back and forth across a ton of dealers I got a great price and I'm really pumped. This is the first brand luxury car that I'm getting. The car will look like this except a different interior color:

That looks gorgeous.

I'm looking into getting a 3 series (probably a 330i; all 2016's 328i seems to be SULEVs) but I keep getting put off by the SULEV comments/reviews and maintenance repair prices (apparently SULEV models have more expensive and complicated parts than non-SULEV BMW 3 series). So not sure where to go from there. Anyone have an insight on this? Looking in particular 2014-2017 models, 3 series (328i, 330i...maybe 320i but I really don't want a 320).

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #837 on: April 14, 2020, 12:58:39 PM »
So I don't any particular comments on that year range of BMW's but I will say this as a former BMW owner. Get an extended bumper to bumper warranty or get comfortable doing maintenance and repairs yourself. The cars are great and I did love my BMW but eventually as it got older it just became a bitch to constantly repair. I'm leasing this BMW mainly because it's cheaper than financing and I promised myself that I would never own a daily driver outside of warranty again.

Look around on BMW forums, there are many great resources out there. Also Pelican Parts has great repair guides.

I love working on cars but if I have to work on my car out of necessity then it no longer becomes fun.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #838 on: April 14, 2020, 02:11:53 PM »

So is it just a 340I with an M package, or have they changed their nomenclature [again]?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #839 on: April 14, 2020, 02:17:49 PM »
I'm looking into getting a 3 series (probably a 330i; all 2016's 328i seems to be SULEVs) but I keep getting put off by the SULEV comments/reviews and maintenance repair prices (apparently SULEV models have more expensive and complicated parts than non-SULEV BMW 3 series). So not sure where to go from there. Anyone have an insight on this? Looking in particular 2014-2017 models, 3 series (328i, 330i...maybe 320i but I really don't want a 320).
Echoing what Reap said. And if you buy a BMW, which is a fine thing to do, buy the one that does what you want. Somebody on FB a week or so ago said that BMW made poorly engineered cars. That's an absurd statement. They make wonderfully engineered cars, but they're not engineered for durability. That's a secondary concern. They're engineered for performance and/or luxury. My recommendation for somebody thinking of buying one is to know what you're getting into. Buy one because you want a true driver's car that's luxurious and fun to drive at the expense of being cheap to maintain. If that's what you want you'll love it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson