Author Topic: Anything related to automobiles  (Read 100701 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Anything related to automobiles
« Reply #525 on: June 01, 2018, 01:22:29 PM »
I just bought about $600 in suspension parts, and I will probably tackle it this weekend.  Front and rear struts, mounts, boots and bumpers, and front sway bar end links which.  I'm actually looking forward to this job, which is surprising considering the control arm replacement i did about 2 years ago when I hated the world afterward.

I also bought some cheapo impact drivers and sockets from harbor freight to try making my day a bit easier.  They seemed way underpowerd compared to their ratings, and I just bought a used ingersoll rand driver on ebay and will return the HF ones.  Also, as with any time I do car repairs, I start going crazy reading about tools and trying to fill out my socket sets, etc.  I have lots of hand-me-down craftsman tools, but reading around makes me not want to augment with the new craftsman stuff.  However, being a bit of a dweeb about it, I also want matching sets.  Oddly enough, last time I bought a few sockets I didn't have, they were actually made in USA.  Maybe individual sockets are procured differently from sets??  Maybe I could get lucky again.
Suspension work is one thing I just won't do with my cars. None of it makes any damn sense to me.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #526 on: June 01, 2018, 01:25:01 PM »
I just bought about $600 in suspension parts, and I will probably tackle it this weekend.  Front and rear struts, mounts, boots and bumpers, and front sway bar end links which.  I'm actually looking forward to this job, which is surprising considering the control arm replacement i did about 2 years ago when I hated the world afterward.

I also bought some cheapo impact drivers and sockets from harbor freight to try making my day a bit easier.  They seemed way underpowerd compared to their ratings, and I just bought a used ingersoll rand driver on ebay and will return the HF ones.  Also, as with any time I do car repairs, I start going crazy reading about tools and trying to fill out my socket sets, etc.  I have lots of hand-me-down craftsman tools, but reading around makes me not want to augment with the new craftsman stuff.  However, being a bit of a dweeb about it, I also want matching sets.  Oddly enough, last time I bought a few sockets I didn't have, they were actually made in USA.  Maybe individual sockets are procured differently from sets??  Maybe I could get lucky again.
Suspension work is one thing I just won't do with my cars. None of it makes any damn sense to me.
peripheral stuff like that is the only thing i feel comfortable working on.  I am very hesitant to do anything engine or transmission related, mostly because I've never done that type of work before (i.e. timing belt.  I don't trust myself not to fuck something up).

Also, I know you are a BMW guy.  I know some models (the M models?) use milti link suspension instead of McPherson.  Is this the case with yours?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #527 on: June 01, 2018, 05:20:28 PM »

peripheral stuff like that is the only thing i feel comfortable working on.  I am very hesitant to do anything engine or transmission related, mostly because I've never done that type of work before (i.e. timing belt.  I don't trust myself not to fuck something up).

Also, I know you are a BMW guy.  I know some models (the M models?) use milti link suspension instead of McPherson.  Is this the case with yours?
Pretty sure mine's McPherson. With the proper tools I could probably take those on. It's figuring out what needs to be replaced and what its role in the grand scheme of things is that gets me. Moreover, most of the bushings, rods, and ends of my car can be replaced in an hour or so. I'd just as soon pay somebody $90 so I don't have to do it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #528 on: June 03, 2018, 11:24:43 AM »
I spent a week driving over 2k miles around florida in a 2017 Mustang:

It was a base model, but still soooo much fun to drive especially while driving around Homestead Florida (which might as well been Alabama) as no one was around on the long straight flat roads.  Makes me really want to get one now, but my GF is very much against it as she thinks (and kind of knows) I will get in trouble.  Driving my 2010 Civic now makes me sad.

This is why I’m getting mustang. They are so fun. I’m going for the v8 gt premium with all the goodies and I can’t wait!!!

I didn’t know you were in homestead. There is a good winery down there as well as an amazing fruit stand.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #529 on: June 04, 2018, 11:40:43 AM »
I flew past a winery so that might have been it

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #530 on: June 06, 2018, 01:50:37 PM »
I'm kind of not sure what to do today. I put my Mini on Craigslist last night and said what the problem with it was. I put a price on it of $1000 and said the buyer was responsible for transporting it. Since posting it at 10:15 last night, I've had 14 people ask me if they could come look at the car.

Truth be told, I really don't want to be bothered. I figured it'd take weeks for me to find the one interested buyer.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #531 on: June 06, 2018, 02:03:57 PM »
I'm kind of not sure what to do today. I put my Mini on Craigslist last night and said what the problem with it was. I put a price on it of $1000 and said the buyer was responsible for transporting it. Since posting it at 10:15 last night, I've had 14 people ask me if they could come look at the car.

Truth be told, I really don't want to be bothered. I figured it'd take weeks for me to find the one interested buyer.
Most likely people are wanting to part it out, and depending on the mileage a grand might be a steal. If you just want rid of it give it to the first guy with ten bills. If you want money for it, put it on eBay for a week and let those 14 people fight it out.

It's also possible that they thing the problem has been misdiagnosed, which is a possibility. Doesn't really matter, though.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #532 on: June 06, 2018, 02:12:49 PM »

Most likely people are wanting to part it out, and depending on the mileage a grand might be a steal. If you just want rid of it give it to the first guy with ten bills. If you want money for it, put it on eBay for a week and let those 14 people fight it out.

It's also possible that they thing the problem has been misdiagnosed, which is a possibility. Doesn't really matter, though.

I think either one is reasonably likely.  I know a guy that buys Toyota Tacos for cash, just because.  He's got about seven or eight of them in his yard in varying degrees of disassembly, and every couple weeks he puts a running, operating truck up for about three to five times what he paid for the parts trucks.   My stepson is in the latter group.  "I can fix THAT!", though not with Mini's; he's a VW/BMW guy.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #533 on: June 07, 2018, 06:10:16 AM »
21 people have now reached out asking to come see it.

I've never had to fill out a bill of sale for a car before. Who is able to declare a car totaled? I was quoted $11K to fix the Mini, and the car was only worth $5Kish. In my mind that's a total loss. Can I say the car is for salvage on the bill of sale?

Offline jasc15

« Reply #534 on: June 07, 2018, 07:06:55 AM »
That much interest tells me you under priced it, but how could you know that ahead of time?  Maybe tell them each (or maybe a few that seem most serious) that you have a lot of interest and to give their best offer.  Go back around with the best offer and see if anyone cares to beat it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #535 on: June 07, 2018, 07:50:51 AM »

I've never had to fill out a bill of sale for a car before. Who is able to declare a car totaled? I was quoted $11K to fix the Mini, and the car was only worth $5Kish. In my mind that's a total loss. Can I say the car is for salvage on the bill of sale?

What are you thinking?   I don't know that it makes a difference either way, and regardless of what you put on the bill of sale, the buyer is going to pay taxes on the book value, not the sale value.     I don't see what benefit you have writing "salvage" on the bill of sale.  If you give the buyer a receipt, certainly write "AS IS - No warranty or returns" on it, but other than that...  were you clear in the Craigslist ad that it did not run for you?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #536 on: June 07, 2018, 07:58:50 AM »

What are you thinking?   I don't know that it makes a difference either way, and regardless of what you put on the bill of sale, the buyer is going to pay taxes on the book value, not the sale value.     I don't see what benefit you have writing "salvage" on the bill of sale.  If you give the buyer a receipt, certainly write "AS IS - No warranty or returns" on it, but other than that...  were you clear in the Craigslist ad that it did not run for you?

This is my listing.
https://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/d/mini-cooper-needs-motor-work/6609204021.html

As far as what to put on the BOS, I new to the process and am rather clueless when it comes to what kind of liability I might have given what I put down.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #537 on: June 07, 2018, 07:59:45 AM »
That much interest tells me you under priced it, but how could you know that ahead of time?  Maybe tell them each (or maybe a few that seem most serious) that you have a lot of interest and to give their best offer.  Go back around with the best offer and see if anyone cares to beat it.

I've sent a few people screenshots of my flooded inbox and asked if they're willing to go higher than $1000. I think a lot of the responses are bots that just scour craiglist for any car below a certain price.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #538 on: June 07, 2018, 09:03:49 AM »
Hello

I am interest in you " Mini Cooper - Needs motor work - $1000 ". Please send address so I can arrange for courier to pick up the  "Mini Cooper - Needs motor work - $1000" and bring you cashier check.

Thank you,

*Generic name*
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #539 on: June 07, 2018, 09:05:20 AM »
That's actually not too far off  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #540 on: June 07, 2018, 09:09:16 AM »
You have a fair number of junkyards/used parts lots near you, Chino.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if that was the case, especially with your car, not being hit or anything.   Maybe not to you, but in terms of a yard, that car is a valuable item.

You might want to call someone like Tom's over in Waterbury and ask what they'd pay for your car, for shits and giggles. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #541 on: June 07, 2018, 09:17:20 AM »
I called a number of junkyards. The most I was offered was $750. It's worth plenty in parts if you're willing to sell it over time.

I needed a new driver door and a new quarter panel (scraped a column in my parking garage) and it was $700 for the two out of a junkyard.

On the mini I'm dumping, you could sell;
- Both doors
- Rear boot lid
- Heated seats
- Airbags
- Roof Rack
- Radio
- Hood
- Bumpers
- Side mirrors
- Upgraded climate control system
- Wheels
- Both Headlights
- Both Tail lights

You could sell the doors for $1000 alone. I just don't have anywhere to keep it, nor do I want to be bothered with parting it out.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #542 on: June 07, 2018, 09:45:00 AM »
If I were chino I would’ve asked a lot more. While there a lot of bots and scammers on Craigslist you could probably ask for more money andnifnanything lower the price if you haggle. I’m not sure with the laws in your state but you just write the BOS for the amount you sold it, chances are the new buyer will have to pay taxes based on the bluebook value of the car. This is to prevent people from attempting to skirt paying sales tax on a car because the seller wrote them a BOS for $10.

Also make sure you write as is on the BOS. As far as salvaging the title that is not something you can do, your insurance would file that depending on the s age done on the car, once the car has a salavage title it will not be able to be registered until it gets a rebuilt title which usually involves your states dmv inspecting the vehicle for the appropriate repairs.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #543 on: June 07, 2018, 10:34:42 AM »
I called a number of junkyards. The most I was offered was $750. It's worth plenty in parts if you're willing to sell it over time.

I needed a new driver door and a new quarter panel (scraped a column in my parking garage) and it was $700 for the two out of a junkyard.

- Both doors
- Rear boot lid
- Heated seats
- Airbags
- Roof Rack
- Radio
- Hood
- Bumpers
- Side mirrors
- Wheels
- Both Headlights
- Both Tail lights

You could sell the doors for $1000 alone. I just don't have anywhere to keep it, nor do I want to be bothered with parting it out.

There's a joke involving a traffic cone in there somewhere.... :)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #544 on: June 07, 2018, 10:52:26 AM »

- Both doors
- Rear boot lid
- Heated seats
- Airbags
- Roof Rack
- Radio
- Hood
- Bumpers
- Side mirrors
- Wheels
- Both Headlights
- Both Tail lights

Everything save for the engine core is sellable on your car. Each window switch in that car is worth 10-15 bones. I've bought a used turn signal stalk off of eBay. Somewhere out there is a guy whose cup holder is broken that'll shell out $25 for another. There are a whole lot of trim pieces on cars nowadays. The transmission, depending on the mileage, could be the big ticket item. Somewhere out there is a guy whose cup holder is broken that'll shell out $25 for another. And while the engine is most likely toast, there are a ton of parts on that engine that people would be interested in. Manifolds, for example. Shops that reman cylinder heads would probably like that one as a core. It's just a matter of somebody having the time and room to part it out piecemeal.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #545 on: June 07, 2018, 12:52:09 PM »
And that's why Chino only got a $750 offer; because the average dude is NOT going to put in that effort, stock those parts, advertise those parts and deal with the "customer" side of things.   The junkyard is, and they're giving you a price sight unseen, as-is. 

Offline jasc15

« Reply #546 on: June 08, 2018, 09:24:07 AM »
I started the suspension job this morning.  Rear shocks were a breeze, and my $27 ebay impact driver has already demonstrated its value.  The large bolt holding the bottom of the shock to the suspension arm would have taken me all damn morning with hand tools.  Once i broke the torque, it still needed power to back it all the way out.  my 3 gallon compressor barely keeps up and has to recharge before i get the 5 lugs off the wheels, but its totally adequate for what im doing.  On to the front end.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: June 08, 2018, 02:03:26 PM »
What kind of suspension setup do you have on the front?

Offline jasc15

« Reply #548 on: June 09, 2018, 02:07:53 PM »
MacPherson.

This car owned my ass yesterday.

I knew there was a leaky CV boot on the left side and I figured I would seal it up while i was under there.  However, all the maneuvering of the steering knuckle to remove the strut pulled on the boot enough to open the crack further, which caused a crap load of grease to leak out*.  Further, the nut holding the sway bar end link to the sway bar would not budge.  It's a crimped nut which grips the stud pretty hard, and it faces inboard so i couldnt give it a blast with the impact driver, which i was able to do with the upper nut.

Getting the strut out required a tool like this:

but I made this from an 8mm hex key:

(Only this picture is mine.)

so I could do this:

Opening that clamp, plus removing the 3 bolts holding the upper mount to the frame allowed me to remove the whole strut assembly.  I disassembled the strut to get the spring off and onto the new strut and bearing/mount assembly.  This went without a hitch, surprisingly, since I had my impact driver to tighten the threaded spring compressor tool i rented:

With a ratchet, it would have taken me at least a half hour and killed my arms.  I put the new assembly in, but not without murdering the CV boot and draining more grease out.  Each flex of the boot ingested air, and the reverse motion squeezed out more grease*.  Eventually the strut was in place.  Of the 3 screws on top, i cross threaded one  :loser: and snapped the head off another when my torque wrench either didn't click, or i didn't notice  :facepalm: :loser: :facepalm:.

It was at this point I decided I should stop before i dug myself deeper.  I called the volvo mechanic I visited last month and told him about the CV joint and asked if it was safe to drive so I could drop it off at his shop.  He said it should be ok as long as the joint bearings are in place properly.  I will have him check out and repair the CV joint monday, install the right strut and end links.

After that, I called a bunch of auto supply shops, hardware stores and a volvo dealer to try locating the top mount bolts that I ruined.  One hardware store had the correct size and strength (M8X1.25 10.9), but wrong length.  The volvo dealer said the nearest one was in Westport, CT, which is about an hour drive from me.  I couldnt believe I was about to drive an hour for 2 bolts, but that's what i planned to do.  Later that night, i just figured I could buy the hardware store bolt until i ordered the right one.  I would have to visit CT another time.  Since there are plenty of threads past the nut on the strut mount, and the new bolt is the required strength, I could just leave them on there.  However they are black oxide and I'm not sure of their rust resistance.

As for the snapped one (the rest of the bolt was still in the mount), since the mount had a tapped through hole, the tip of the bolt stuck through under the wheel well.  I got a tiny needle nose in there somehow (I thought i would have to take the whole strut assembly out) and about 5 degrees at a time, was able to thread the remainder of the bolt out.  I installed the 2 new bolts (the last 2 in the store) and was done with it.  Part of me still wants to replace the right strut myself, but I don't want to dig another hole and I will just let a pro do it.  At least I can limp it there.

*CV joint grease is pretty thick stuff.  When I used words like "dripping" and "spilling", the mechanic seemed puzzled.  I searched a bit about these CV joints, and happened to come across a rebuild where someone mentioned water mixing with the grease, making it the consistency of thick motor oil.  The boot must have ingested a bunch of water which thinned it out to the point where it could drip.  I hope I don't have to replace the whole thing.  They are almost $600 each for OEM, however I see some random brand on rock auto for like $45.  Makes no sense.

TL;DR- Replaced left front strut, but cross threaded and snapped 2 bolts and had to get new ones.  Tore open inner CV boot and lost lots of grease.  Decided to cut my losses and have a pro finish right strut and fix CV joint.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 02:18:43 PM by jasc15 »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #549 on: June 09, 2018, 02:15:55 PM »
Your story reminds me of my experience doing the front struts on my bmw. I was wise enough to just buy new strut assembly (McPherson struts as well) because I know if I tried to do it piecemeal I'd lose my sanity.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #550 on: June 09, 2018, 02:22:35 PM »
I couldn't find pre built kits for my car, unfortunately.  I expected that to be the hard part, but it turned out to be no problem anyway.  All these other unpredictable problems popped up.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #551 on: June 11, 2018, 07:00:33 AM »
Update:  Spent Saturday feeling dejected, and mulled over the situation repeatedly.  I decided to finish the job myself, and after little more than an hour Sunday I replaced the right front strut with no issues at all.  The CV boot issue remains, so I sealed the crack with a bunch of bathroom caulk and duct tape, and dropped the car off at a Volvo shop Sunday night.  I feel much better completing what i planned on.  Now I'm waiting for a call this morning from the mechanic.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 07:11:53 AM by jasc15 »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #552 on: June 11, 2018, 07:03:15 PM »
Keep us posted jasc.

New car news for me, unless something comes up this week I"m going to submit my order for my new car this Saturday. This will be the first new car I've ever bought I'm and super fucking excited.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: June 12, 2018, 08:39:44 AM »
Keep us posted jasc.

New car news for me, unless something comes up this week I"m going to submit my order for my new car this Saturday. This will be the first new car I've ever bought I'm and super fucking excited.

Mustang?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: June 12, 2018, 08:48:46 AM »
Yup. I’m going to go to a few other delears and take a few more cars for a spin but I’m pretty set on the mustang. I’m doing the gt premium with performance package one and all options.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #555 on: June 12, 2018, 08:55:55 AM »
Yup. I’m going to go to a few other delears and take a few more cars for a spin but I’m pretty set on the mustang. I’m doing the gt premium with performance package one and all options.

Fuck that.

Go Shelby.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #556 on: June 12, 2018, 08:59:14 AM »
My buddies are trying to convince to do the roush package but it’s another $6k and I would’ve have my car for even longer.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #557 on: June 12, 2018, 09:15:11 AM »
I honestly don't get the point of the Roush besides just being able to say you have it. The Mustang isn't designed for anywhere near that power. Trying to use the engine to its full potential is handicapped by basically everything else in the car. It actually becomes a chore to drive.

The mustangs are really fun cars. But if you're really looking to put that kind of power down, I think you'll be disappointed.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 09:45:25 AM by Chino »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #558 on: June 12, 2018, 09:39:02 AM »
Well that’s what I was thinking. There was a brief moment I was considering leasing a hellcat challenger as it’s monthly price is the same as my finance cost of the mustang. I just don’t like the looks as much and 700hp is a bit overkill. The gt is even overkill but I love he sound of the v8

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #559 on: June 12, 2018, 09:39:24 AM »
Update:  Spent Saturday feeling dejected, and mulled over the situation repeatedly.  I decided to finish the job myself, and after little more than an hour Sunday I replaced the right front strut with no issues at all.  The CV boot issue remains, so I sealed the crack with a bunch of bathroom caulk and duct tape, and dropped the car off at a Volvo shop Sunday night.  I feel much better completing what i planned on.  Now I'm waiting for a call this morning from the mechanic.

My appreciation and admiration for you knows no bounds at this point.   That's my kind of guy, right there.  Get the job done, hook or by crook.