Author Topic: Anything related to automobiles  (Read 100642 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Anything related to automobiles
« Reply #420 on: February 01, 2018, 12:10:54 PM »
I thought autopilot came standard on the base model 3?

Yes and no, it does have all the sensors and some minor capabilities, but to really be anything worthwhile you're looking to get enhanced autopilot.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #421 on: March 04, 2018, 05:57:37 AM »
Yesterday my gf and I went out to lunch and we were discussing what I was going to get as a next car. There was a ford dealership down the rode from where we were eating so I said lets stop by. I ended up taking the new 2018 Mustang GT for a spin.

Holy shit the thing is fast and a lot of fun. I know I said I wanted the Veloster N, and I will still look at it when the time comes but I think I may pick one of these up at the end of the years. It's a bit more than I wanted to pay but not by much. I never really cared for mustangs but after the redesign in 2014 I thought they looked pretty good, we ended up having one as a rental a few years back and it was a ton of fun (it was the ecoboost) but this thing is a different beast, it looks sharper and drives incredibly well.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #422 on: March 13, 2018, 01:56:55 PM »
I hear good things about the newer mustangs and the price point per power is pretty solid.  I'll have a rental when I road trip through Florida in a couple months, I'm sure it'll be the ecoboost though, but at least I'll get a good amount of experience with it. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #423 on: March 28, 2018, 12:29:45 PM »
So I checked all over my state's DMV page for this, but its still ambitious.

Anybody know the process if I were to buy a vehicle from a private seller in a state that I don't reside? My thought is the seller signs the title over to me and I take the vehicle back with me. Then I go to my state's dmv and figure out the rest of the paperwork there.

I'm basically just trying to confirm what I am doing after I agree to buy.  I know that if I did it from a dealer, they would just issue temp tags, but the private selling is definitely not doing that.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #424 on: March 30, 2018, 07:33:28 AM »

Anybody know the process if I were to buy a vehicle from a private seller in a state that I don't reside? My thought is the seller signs the title over to me and I take the vehicle back with me. Then I go to my state's dmv and figure out the rest of the paperwork there.

I'm basically just trying to confirm what I am doing after I agree to buy.  I know that if I did it from a dealer, they would just issue temp tags, but the private selling is definitely not doing that.

Not sure about inter-state travel, but when I was a kid and my dad was buying used cars fairly often (he'd buy a convertible and work on it, then sell it and buy another to tinker with), he'd just take the license plates off of one of our other cars and put them on the used car for the ride home so he wasn't driving a vehicle without plates.  Once he got the car home, then he'd handle getting new license plates for it. 

If he were ever stopped, he'd have the paperwork with him showing that he just bought it from a private seller and was only trying to get it home.  Though it was certainly a shorter ride from suburb to suburb than crossing state lines.

You could always rent a truck/trailer or tow it to transport it as well.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: March 30, 2018, 11:28:21 AM »
I’d recommend against swapping plates on your car for any distance. If a cop runs your plate and you have a different car and he decides to be a dick you can pay some serious fines for driving an uninsured unregistered car.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #426 on: March 30, 2018, 12:00:42 PM »
Well yes.  For a 15 minute jaunt from suburb to suburb, it was probably an acceptable risk for him.  For traveling a considerable distance between states, the risk is exponentially greater.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #427 on: March 30, 2018, 02:33:58 PM »

Not sure about inter-state travel, but when I was a kid and my dad was buying used cars fairly often (he'd buy a convertible and work on it, then sell it and buy another to tinker with), he'd just take the license plates off of one of our other cars and put them on the used car for the ride home so he wasn't driving a vehicle without plates.  Once he got the car home, then he'd handle getting new license plates for it. 

If he were ever stopped, he'd have the paperwork with him showing that he just bought it from a private seller and was only trying to get it home.  Though it was certainly a shorter ride from suburb to suburb than crossing state lines.

I can tell you from experience that if you live in Connecticut (like my son and I do) and buy a car in Massachusetts (like my son did) and drive it back and get pulled over (like my son did) you get a ticket with a good size fine to it.  I'm pretty sure you have to get a form from the DMV in that case (I don't remember; but it's on the CT DMV site, I know that).   

Might be worth a trip to the DMV info desk.  I wouldn't fuck around with that stuff, personally.    It's not that you'll see jail time, but it's all big pain in the ass if it goes sideways.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 07:17:36 PM by Stadler »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #428 on: March 30, 2018, 05:39:48 PM »
That is good thinking.

The good news is its actually a motorcycle I'm buying and my step dad wants to just put in the back of his truck, so we should be good.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #429 on: March 31, 2018, 12:33:14 PM »

I can tell you from experience that if you live in Connecticut (like my son and I do) and buy a car in Massachusetts (like my son did) and drive it back and get pulled over (like my son did) you get a ticket with a good size fine to it.  I'm pretty sure you have to get a form from the DMV in that case (I don't remember; but it's on the CT DMV site, I know that).   

Might be worth a trip to the DMV info desk.  I wouldn't fuck around with that stuff, personally.    It's not that you'll see jail time, but it's all big pain in the ass if it goes sideways.
A ticket for what? What part of driving a care you just purchased before handling TTL is illegal? As a rule you have something like 14 days to get all of that taken care of.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #430 on: March 31, 2018, 03:14:51 PM »
Ok, I found a bike in my own state, and its easy peasy in PA.  We just go to the auto tag place, they handle everything. I just sign on the dotted line and everything is transferred.

But on to the next question. Private seller. When do I exchange the cash? After the title transfer right?

Also, I am bringing someone with me, so I won't be alone

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: March 31, 2018, 04:00:52 PM »

A ticket for what? What part of driving a care you just purchased before handling TTL is illegal? As a rule you have something like 14 days to get all of that taken care of.

I'll ask my son when he gets here in about an hour; it was something like driving without a valid reg; it's something unique to Mass; you're right, in CT you have a grace period, where they don't bust your stones (but they really do when you push the grace period).  This was odd, and between you and me, I'm not ruling out a "mouthy" 22 year old, or a cop looking to lay down some law. 

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #432 on: April 05, 2018, 09:14:06 AM »
I think it's time to replace the front struts on my 2007 Volvo V50.  There is quite a bit of rattling coming from the front end, however it's hard to determine if its the struts/mounts, or something else.  Last time I was in there replacing the control arms, I checked the steering linkage and sway bars, and everything seemed tight.  Dealer says they are shot, too (of course).

I was under the hood yesterday after changing the oil and noticed one of the struts was making a squishing noise when I bounced the car up and down. It didn't continue to bounce like a car with bad struts would, it just returned to the original height reasonably smoothly.  Even if they aren't totally shot, the car has 108,000 miles so they might as well be replaced anyway.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #433 on: April 05, 2018, 12:31:26 PM »
I think it's time to replace the front struts on my 2007 Volvo V50.  There is quite a bit of rattling coming from the front end, however it's hard to determine if its the struts/mounts, or something else.  Last time I was in there replacing the control arms, I checked the steering linkage and sway bars, and everything seemed tight.  Dealer says they are shot, too (of course).

I was under the hood yesterday after changing the oil and noticed one of the struts was making a squishing noise when I bounced the car up and down. It didn't continue to bounce like a car with bad struts would, it just returned to the original height reasonably smoothly.  Even if they aren't totally shot, the car has 108,000 miles so they might as well be replaced anyway.
Suspension components are one thing I never bother trying to figure out on my own. It's all just too convoluted. Never trust a dealer to shoot straight with you about anything. They want to turn any used car into a new one. Any competent mechanic can get the car off the ground, spend 3 minutes with a flashlight and tell you exactly where your front end stands, and more importantly, point out to you what components are failing and how. Hearing that I need new bushing for the Heizenburg compensater doesn't tell me anything. Showing me a warn through rubber bushing that connects this to that tells me a great deal.   

When I bought my first BMW I took it to a dealer because it was running a little bit rough. Like very minor. They kept it for two days, did a service II, and handed me a list of repairs that included the head gasket, the power steering rack, and the radiator. Easily $5k+. I tightened the temp sensor in the side of the radiator which leaked a little under pressure. Then I drove it like the Bandit for 10 years and 150k miles without a single problem from the head gasket, the power steering rack, or the radiator. Not a damn thing wrong with any of them.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #434 on: April 05, 2018, 12:44:16 PM »
I hit 120,000 miles on my Mini this morning. I'm torn on what to do with the thing and I still owe $4800 on it  ::).

It still bangs like a champ, but it's a pain in the ass owning a home and having that as my primary vehicle. I want a crew cab pickup truck. I want something that I can just throw crap in the back of without having to worry about destroying the inside of an SUV. However, I'm still going to have to commute 80+ miles a day. Part of me wants to dump the Mini and buy a Toyota Tacoma with 50k-60k miles on it, but then the other part of me wants to keep the Mini and buy a Toyota Tundra with 150Kish miles and just use it when needed.

The only two big ticket items on the Mini that might cost me a good chunk of change in the future are the clutch and the timing chain. Anything else that would normally go in the next 20K miles or so was replaced a few months ago. The Mini also needs new struts in the rear, and a brake job and new tires will probably be needed in the next three months.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: April 05, 2018, 01:02:33 PM »
Suspension components are one thing I never bother trying to figure out on my own. It's all just too convoluted.

I LITERALLY had that same conversation with my step son - who is a licensed mechanic - on Saturday.   EXACTLY. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: April 05, 2018, 01:06:52 PM »
I hit 120,000 miles on my Mini this morning. I'm torn on what to do with the thing and I still owe $4800 on it  ::).

It still bangs like a champ, but it's a pain in the ass owning a home and having that as my primary vehicle. I want a crew cab pickup truck. I want something that I can just throw crap in the back of without having to worry about destroying the inside of an SUV. However, I'm still going to have to commute 80+ miles a day. Part of me wants to dump the Mini and buy a Toyota Tacoma with 50k-60k miles on it, but then the other part of me wants to keep the Mini and buy a Toyota Tundra with 150Kish miles and just use it when needed.

The only two big ticket items on the Mini that might cost me a good chunk of change in the future are the clutch and the timing chain. Anything else that would normally go in the next 20K miles or so was replaced a few months ago. The Mini also needs new struts in the rear, and a brake job and new tires will probably be needed in the next three months.

Dude, same boat.  I have kids, too, though, which is a wrinkle.  I had a 2006 BMW X3, 115,000, and decided to keep it and bought a '98 Taco with 175k on it for $1500 cash.    It's a work truck, has some rash around the rear wheel wells, and I'm still trying to fix the emergency break, but it's all I need at this point.   

I will say, though, Tacos are tough; if they're cheap, they almost certainly have frame rot; that was a chronic problem, and in fact, they recalled (and scrapped) a ton of them.  They are still quality trucks - my brother and I have had four of them now, and every one cleared 200k (one broke 300, and I'm counting my current one, even though I'm still at 180 now; I should get there).   Despite the frame issue, they hold value; my truck books at $4K. 

Offline jasc15

« Reply #437 on: April 05, 2018, 01:55:30 PM »
Any competent mechanic can get the car off the ground, spend 3 minutes with a flashlight and tell you exactly where your front end stands, and more importantly, point out to you what components are failing and how.
I've hesitated to bring it to a garage without intending to give them the work.  I suppose any decent place should be totally cool with me throwing them a few bucks for their time, though.

When I bought my first BMW I took it to a dealer because it was running a little bit rough. Like very minor. They kept it for two days, did a service II, and handed me a list of repairs that included the head gasket, the power steering rack, and the radiator. Easily $5k+. I tightened the temp sensor in the side of the radiator which leaked a little under pressure. Then I drove it like the Bandit for 10 years and 150k miles without a single problem from the head gasket, the power steering rack, or the radiator. Not a damn thing wrong with any of them.
Yeah, this was one item on their $5k list of recommended repairs when i brought it in, which included suspension arms, struts, ac compressor, and regular 75k mile service (whatever that was).  I brought it in so they could check the computer codes (proprietary, not the OBD) because the engine was momentarily losing power after starting in hot weather.  They had nothing to say about the engine, but they tallied up $5k in other stuff pretty quickly.

Engine power thing is out of sight out of mind since the end of the summer, but it will be back soon.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #438 on: April 05, 2018, 01:56:01 PM »

Dude, same boat.  I have kids, too, though, which is a wrinkle.  I had a 2006 BMW X3, 115,000, and decided to keep it and bought a '98 Taco with 175k on it for $1500 cash.    It's a work truck, has some rash around the rear wheel wells, and I'm still trying to fix the emergency break, but it's all I need at this point.   

I will say, though, Tacos are tough; if they're cheap, they almost certainly have frame rot; that was a chronic problem, and in fact, they recalled (and scrapped) a ton of them.  They are still quality trucks - my brother and I have had four of them now, and every one cleared 200k (one broke 300, and I'm counting my current one, even though I'm still at 180 now; I should get there).   Despite the frame issue, they hold value; my truck books at $4K.

It amazes me how well the Tacomas hold their value. They're actually more expensive than a Tundra in a lot of instances when looking for a used on. My guess is that there aren't a whole lot of options in the used mid-sized pickup market. Many of the other truck makers did away with the mid-sized trucks for a few years. Whereas in the full-sized market, the Tundra has to compete with the F150, F250, and F350, the Chevy 1500, 2500, and 3500, the Dodge Ram 1500, 2500, and 3500, and the Nissan Titan.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #439 on: April 05, 2018, 03:23:26 PM »
Any competent mechanic can get the car off the ground, spend 3 minutes with a flashlight and tell you exactly where your front end stands, and more importantly, point out to you what components are failing and how.
I've hesitated to bring it to a garage without intending to give them the work.  I suppose any decent place should be totally cool with me throwing them a few bucks for their time, though.

Yeah, this was one item on their $5k list of recommended repairs when i brought it in, which included suspension arms, struts, ac compressor, and regular 75k mile service (whatever that was).  I brought it in so they could check the computer codes (proprietary, not the OBD) because the engine was momentarily losing power after starting in hot weather.  They had nothing to say about the engine, but they tallied up $5k in other stuff pretty quickly.

Engine power thing is out of sight out of mind since the end of the summer, but it will be back soon.
Independent Volvo mechanics aren't all that uncommon, assuming you don't live in rural Idaho. They'll have the gear to talk to the car. The "proprietaryness" of the thing is honestly just the numbers they assign to the trouble-codes. A decent shop will tie into the CANBUS, the car will throw some nubmers at them, and they'll cross reference them to Volvo's.

There are plenty of shops around here that are going to charge you an hour labor just to check it out, and more if they have to talk to the CANBUS. My regular guys and another shop I've used off and on are happy to put it on a lift and see what's up for nothing. From my experience it seems to come down to how nice and fancy their shop is. If they're just leasing space in some warehouse district they're interested in being nice to customers. If they're state of the art in some expensive property they're going to nickel and dime everybody they can.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: April 05, 2018, 08:10:57 PM »
Nothing beats having a truck around Chino. I had a '16 Silverado and it was amazing. Bigger cab than my car, better gas milage, and far more useful. I wish I never got rid of it in the sale of the hotel.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: April 06, 2018, 07:39:47 AM »
My civic needs some tie wraps to keep the bumper on at this point.  This has kind of been what I've been waiting for before I start getting serious about getting a new car.   Going to go to the Honda dealership on Saturday to just get some initial info and speak to a sales person.  Last time my car flat out stopped running so getting a new car was kind of an emergency and was needed quickly, even with the tie wraps, my current civic is runs well enough that I can survive for a bit, but I'd rather just get something that's not going to look like a disaster and I've been wanting to upgrade for awhile.  I'm really only interested in the Civic or Accord from Honda, I want to see if they have any older models laying around too, see if there's any price mark downs.  Also maybe come back there at the end of the month to see if prices went down.  But bottom line for what I am looking for, something with more power, I want more of the bells and whistles (moon roof, blu tooth, nice sound).  I'd rather a small car, maybe a coupe, but a smaller sedan works too.  Needs to be reliable (which is why I love my current civic, never had any issues with it) and I am not looking to spend over 30k (although some of my build your car models on their website have turned out to be slightly over, that's MSRP, I want to see how much lower I can possibly get such a car). 

Anyway, since my cars guts seem fine, it's just asthetics that's my issue.  I am also considering the idea of holding onto it and maybe just getting a used car or even leasing a car, if it makes sense with the dollars.  Just want to start exploring my options with actual sales people and not just within my head.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #442 on: April 06, 2018, 07:42:59 AM »
So, it'll be months likely before proper reviews roll in, and end of year till even California dealers see it, but this new Hyundai Kona electric already excites me more than the Bolt and Leaf. And since, like those two, it will still be eligible for the full tax credit when I'd potentially buy in 2020 it is looking like a strong competitor to the Model 3 for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ4opp_3ivk
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #443 on: April 06, 2018, 08:59:51 AM »
So, it'll be months likely before proper reviews roll in, and end of year till even California dealers see it, but this new Hyundai Kona electric already excites me more than the Bolt and Leaf. And since, like those two, it will still be eligible for the full tax credit when I'd potentially buy in 2020 it is looking like a strong competitor to the Model 3 for me.

Wow, that looks cool. I was checking out the gas version of the Kona for my next lease, I didn't even know they were working on an electric version.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #444 on: April 06, 2018, 10:26:30 AM »

Wow, that looks cool. I was checking out the gas version of the Kona for my next lease, I didn't even know they were working on an electric version.

Yeah, the normal version out this year definitely looks cool as well. Did you happen to test the ultimate edition? It has the upgraded audio and that's one of those things that I won't trust any review on until I'm in the vehicle. One of the things I love about my Fusion is that the cabin is super quiet and the sound is really good.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #445 on: April 06, 2018, 10:45:27 AM »
Yeah, the normal version out this year definitely looks cool as well. Did you happen to test the ultimate edition? It has the upgraded audio and that's one of those things that I won't trust any review on until I'm in the vehicle. One of the things I love about my Fusion is that the cabin is super quiet and the sound is really good.

I haven't been down to the dealer to test drive anything yet, my lease isn't up till the end of the year. So far I've just done research online and I like what I see from the Kona from the comfort of my desk chair. The dealer near me has like 30 in stock now, so maybe I'll check one out next time I'm down that way.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #446 on: April 06, 2018, 02:10:29 PM »
Cool beans, let me know your thoughts.

In related news, because I can't help researching these things, I've come up with a magic number of $6,416. So what is that? It's the amount that the electric version (net rebates) can exceed the gas version and still be a draw after tax savings for the first 100,000 miles. Computed that as I do over 20,000 miles a year, so that's a 5 year span for me max, and used $3.00/gallon as my average on gas and $0.14 per KWh as my average on electricity. Still waiting for pricing of course, and other factors go into cost to own, but I don't foresee that number being hit. It would require a base price of about 34,000, which is less than both the Bolt and Model 3, so unlikely.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: April 06, 2018, 06:07:17 PM »
Hyundai has really stepped up there game with this new geneartion of cars coming out. My gf has a 2017 sonata and it's a fantastic car, I think she wants the santa fe as her next car.

I'm still stuck on the mustang which is most likely going to be my birthday present to myself unless I get a spectacular deal and get it a bit sooner.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: April 07, 2018, 03:50:12 PM »
Went to the Honda dealership this afternoon, wanted to check out and compare the Civics and Accords.  Turns out I kind of really liked the Civic Hatchback.  Gave it a test drive and liked it, felt similar to my current Civic but with a tad bit more umph with 40 more horse power and the turbo.  MSRP was 29k for the touring model (which is the trim I want), guy said he could do 26k and give 4k for the trade in (my 2010 Civic LX with 140k miles).  I was pretty impressed with that offer but told him I am shopping it around.  Very happy with how my first day of shopping went and that may be my next vehicle, but I still want to check out a few other dealers.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #449 on: April 07, 2018, 04:55:56 PM »
Went to the Honda dealership this afternoon, wanted to check out and compare the Civics and Accords.  Turns out I kind of really liked the Civic Hatchback.  Gave it a test drive and liked it, felt similar to my current Civic but with a tad bit more umph with 40 more horse power and the turbo.  MSRP was 29k for the touring model (which is the trim I want), guy said he could do 26k and give 4k for the trade in (my 2010 Civic LX with 140k miles).  I was pretty impressed with that offer but told him I am shopping it around.  Very happy with how my first day of shopping went and that may be my next vehicle, but I still want to check out a few other dealers.

I would love to suggest checking out the Clarity (plug-in Hybrid), as it falls between the Civic and Accord, but I saw one in person for the first time the other day and can confirm what online looks led me to believe, which is that the back end is hideous.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: April 07, 2018, 05:19:21 PM »
Nice cram :tup, glad to hear your first trip out to the dealer went well, I like how the civic hatchback looks however I'm not a fan of the new type-r, there is way too much going on in the back.

Today I feel down the trap of reading build threads for the Factory Five cobra replicas. If I had the money and time I would love to do a project like that.                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline jasc15

« Reply #451 on: April 13, 2018, 07:35:34 AM »
Independent Volvo mechanics aren't all that uncommon, assuming you don't live in rural Idaho. They'll have the gear to talk to the car. The "proprietaryness" of the thing is honestly just the numbers they assign to the trouble-codes. A decent shop will tie into the CANBUS, the car will throw some nubmers at them, and they'll cross reference them to Volvo's.

There are plenty of shops around here that are going to charge you an hour labor just to check it out, and more if they have to talk to the CANBUS. My regular guys and another shop I've used off and on are happy to put it on a lift and see what's up for nothing. From my experience it seems to come down to how nice and fancy their shop is. If they're just leasing space in some warehouse district they're interested in being nice to customers. If they're state of the art in some expensive property they're going to nickel and dime everybody they can.
Yeah, I'm trying to find a reputable volvo shop where I live.  I know they exist, and I've been searching volvo forums for specific mentions or recommendations.  There is this "VIDA DICE" thing, which I believe is an integrated code reader and repair manual that runs on a pc.  I have an OBDII code reader, but not all dash messages throw an OBD code.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #452 on: April 18, 2018, 12:39:51 PM »
About a month ago, i noticed the carpet in the rear driver's side was wet.  I thought a water bottle spilled, so i took out the mat and hung it to dry in front of a dehumidifier, and later had the dehumidifier inside the car running for about 2 days.  That seemed to clear it up.  Earlier this week I noticed there was still moisture in the carpet, and the front was also wet.  I soon realized my sun roof was not draining properly.  Sun roofs are not water tight and allow some water past the seal and into a gutter, eventually draining down a small hose along the A pillar and out in front of the firewall.  After Monday's nasty rain storm here in NJ, i was expecting severe moisture in the morning.  It was certainly wet, but not as terrible as I thought.  Last night I picked up some new plastic tubing to replace the old drain, and pulled up the carpet under the driver seat and foot well.  Parts of it were still dripping wet, and the metal frame still had a few small puddles of water.  Fortunately that piece of carpet is a separate piece, and I didn't have to pull up the rest of the floor.  I will probably pull up the rear carpet tonight and hang it alongside the front with the dehumidifier blowing on it overnight.  My wife had mentioned the car "smelled like feet" a few months ago, so this moisture must have been present for quite a long time.  Fortunately there is no visible rust or mold.

tl;dr- leaky sunroof, pulled up carpet to dry and will replace sunroof drain hoses.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: April 18, 2018, 01:48:29 PM »
Some of those hoses, though, are a pain in the ass.   

Where are you that you're looking for a Volvo tech (you can PM me if you want).

Offline jasc15

« Reply #454 on: April 18, 2018, 02:47:57 PM »
Im going from this

to this:

The tube ends at this goofy feed through onto the other side of the firewall, which I will keep in place: