Author Topic: Anything related to automobiles  (Read 100689 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Anything related to automobiles
« Reply #385 on: January 28, 2018, 06:52:12 AM »
So what are everyone's thoughts on the new Hyundai Veloster N https://jalopnik.com/the-275-horsepower-2019-hyundai-veloster-n-is-ready-to-1822084985?

I'm in the market for a new car as the repair costs for my car are getting higher and higher and I'm tired of spending weekends working on my car. It's hard to get past the 3 door look of the car but it might be a contender. I really wish Hyundai just brought over the i30N. I'm also looking at Focus ST's.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #386 on: January 28, 2018, 08:45:03 AM »
Just get a Fit.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #387 on: January 28, 2018, 09:52:32 AM »
So what are everyone's thoughts on the new Hyundai Veloster N https://jalopnik.com/the-275-horsepower-2019-hyundai-veloster-n-is-ready-to-1822084985?

I'm in the market for a new car as the repair costs for my car are getting higher and higher and I'm tired of spending weekends working on my car. It's hard to get past the 3 door look of the car but it might be a contender. I really wish Hyundai just brought over the i30N. I'm also looking at Focus ST's.
Aren't you a BMW guy? I thought you had like an M3 or something, which would explain the high repair costs, but not your interest in a Hyundai.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #388 on: January 28, 2018, 01:01:09 PM »
I am and I do have an m3 and im over it. The list of things I have repaired in the past year and the things I have to do this year, I just want to let it go.

I originally had a golf and I’ve always liked hatches. I was interested in the st but it looks a bit dated, I like all the features that come with Hyundai and the cost.

I did go look at the bmw line up late last year and I wasn’t really impressed. I want to go look Audi still and check out the A3

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #389 on: January 28, 2018, 01:09:25 PM »
I am and I do have an m3 and im over it. The list of things I have repaired in the past year and the things I have to do this year, I just want to let it go.

I originally had a golf and I’ve always liked hatches. I was interested in the st but it looks a bit dated, I like all the features that come with Hyundai and the cost.

I did go look at the bmw line up late last year and I wasn’t really impressed. I want to go look Audi still and check out the A3
My experience with Audi was hellish. It'll have the same sorts of problems as your M3, but it was built by assholes. Working on them sucks ass.

I have no experience with any Hyundais, but I've yet to find an Asian car that felt as solid as my BMWs. I agree that the new lineups generally suck, which is why my E46 is probably the end of the line for me, but they still feel somewhat substantial. That's why I was surprised that you were looking that direction.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: January 28, 2018, 02:58:20 PM »
Don't get me wrong, my e46 has served me a long time but currently I need to:

- Do a suspension refresh
- Fix the drivers door lock (it doesn't unlock with the key or fob, it will lock)
- O2 sensors
- Oil filter gasket replacement (I have a small oil leak, this is a 6 hour job and $3 gasket, thank you Germany)
- Find out why it takes forever to cold start, I've replaced the fuel pump and filter however the pump needs 10 seconds to prime to start, if I just put the key in it'll turn over until the pump builds enough pressure in the fuel bladder

I also want some new creature comforts, my gf has a new sonata for example and the stuff it came standard with is really impressive. I don't think I'd get rid of the m3 (not yet at least) because the trade in value is shit and it'd be a bitch to sell (florida title and registered, I now live in NC).

As for the BMW line-up they feel bloated. I took a test drive in the new 230i for a spin and it was nice but felt lifeless

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: January 28, 2018, 02:59:35 PM »
Forgot to ask, what Audi did you have?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #392 on: January 28, 2018, 03:58:02 PM »
I drove a '06 A5 for about a year before passing it along to my mom. Very comfy and pleasant to drive, though boring AF. It just makes even simple repairs a PITA, and it doesn't want to talk to anybody without a VAGCOM, so finding out what's wrong with it usually requires going to an authorized service center.

One of the things that really turned me off of Audi was a problem with the ignition interlock. The sensor that reads the RFID chip in the key is prone to going bad. The sensor is embedded in the steering column and there's no way to replace it other than replace the entire column. Two grand+, and Audi never took any responsibility for it. A whole lot of people got burned on that one. BMW might not have issued a recall, but they'd certainly have put out a TSA and repaired it for free when people's cars turned up dead one morning for no reason. Audi just said "eh, not our problem."

My experience with the oil filter gasket was that it was a snap. Granted, it was an E36, but they certainly look the same. I was a total newb and I think I did it in <2 hours. In my case you yank the alterantor and everything is right there, nice and exposed with plenty of room to work.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: January 28, 2018, 04:26:08 PM »
Damnit barto stop telling me things are easy lol, I want a new car.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #394 on: January 28, 2018, 07:55:37 PM »
I bought one of these this week:

I was tired of using an open pan and trying to keep it level while pouring into another container.  This seemed like a great idea until i pulled the oil plug and the flow totally overwhelmed the shallow tray molded into the side of this container, covering my garage floor in oil.  I later poured what oil actually made it into the container into the jug i just emptied into the engine, which i will prob continue doing in the future.  The whole outside of this container is covered in oil and now sits on a pile of kitty litter on my garage floor.

I also did my first DIY tire rotation afterwards.  I thought i could get away with just pump jack and a stand, but i needed to use both stands to keep the front off the ground the whole time.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #395 on: January 28, 2018, 10:47:03 PM »

I was tired of using an open pan and trying to keep it level while pouring into another container.  This seemed like a great idea until i pulled the oil plug and the flow totally overwhelmed the shallow tray molded into the side of this container, covering my garage floor in oil.  I later poured what oil actually made it into the container into the jug i just emptied into the engine, which i will prob continue doing in the future.  The whole outside of this container is covered in oil and now sits on a pile of kitty litter on my garage floor.

I also did my first DIY tire rotation afterwards.  I thought i could get away with just pump jack and a stand, but i needed to use both stands to keep the front off the ground the whole time.
Was the vent clogged or something? Only time I've had oil even think of backing up on one of those was when I forgot to open the vent. If it can breathe the top should drain drown a helluva lot faster than the your car.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #396 on: January 29, 2018, 04:57:11 AM »

Was the vent clogged or something? Only time I've had oil even think of backing up on one of those was when I forgot to open the vent. If it can breathe the top should drain drown a helluva lot faster than the your car.

My brother has the exact same oil pan and he had the exact same issue. In his case he forgot to open the vent.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #397 on: January 29, 2018, 07:16:41 AM »
Vent was open.  It's only about a 1/16 inch hole.  I did have the oil fill cap and filter off which I usually do, so that may be why.  It's a Subaru, and the filter sits on top like this:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #398 on: January 29, 2018, 09:21:08 AM »
Call me a part of the cult, but I'm still all in on Munich.   I think the BMW problem is one they've encountered several times over the years; they only lose the plot when they try to be too many things to too many people.   Stick with the 3, the 5, and the 7, maybe make a limited run coupe now and again (historically, the 6) and a sport utility vehicle.   They bit it bad back a number of years ago  when they tried to have the "entry level" sedan, the X1 is the worst of all possibilities (not sporty enough for the sedan crowd, not hip enough for the sportster crowd and not useful enough for the SUV crowd), and so they spread themselves too thin on service and whatnot, and things suffer. 

I still drive my '06 E83, and I got a deal on an E90 ('08) for my daughter.   Despite being fucked over a little by the guy that sold it to me, I got a good car, and my stepson works (well, worked; he just took a supervisor job at a Volvo dealership) for BMW, so I had a couple of the issues above taken care of for cost (door lock, oil gasket* and O2 sensor).   That car drives like a dream, and mine is, well... you know that saying about a woman?   Lady on the streets, whore between the sheets?   That's kind of my X3.  It'll move on the highway (I don't, but I can easily cruise at 90 and the car is solid as a rock) but is a diligent soldier in snow and uncertain terrain.  It's not a monster truck or anything like that, but it does what I need it to do, and reliably. 

* Oil gasket:  not a ten minute job, but not six hours either.   I have no doubt I could do it for the two hours that el Barto said.   Not everything on that engine is like that, but that one isn't too bad. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #399 on: January 29, 2018, 09:26:44 AM »
I know I've driven a couple of the newer 3 series when they were offered as loaners and I thought they really sucked. I get the idea that the non-M 3s are chick cars. They're cute and get great mileage. There's just no fun in driving them. Like Stadler said, they're trying to be all things to all people, and in doing so they're building each model for a specific niche. Sadly, I don't seem to be in one of hose niches. I can't afford an M and the 3s I've gotten used to are no longer geared toward folk like us.
E.F. Benson

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #400 on: January 29, 2018, 10:20:03 AM »
Obama helped introduce the US to the disposable car. They aren't made like they used to be! Increase new car sales, increase tax revenue, stimulate the new car economy with cash for clunkers. Many stout vehicles made it to an early grave and here we have a lot of poor quality vehicles being built and ending up being recycled very quickly. The fact that they are building in so many distractions and autonomy at the same time is confusing to say the least. The automobile industry is going through some challenges adapting as quickly as they need to so right now is a bizarre time to buy a new car.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #401 on: January 29, 2018, 10:30:09 AM »
Obama helped introduce the US to the disposable car. They aren't made like they used to be! Increase new car sales, increase tax revenue, stimulate the new car economy with cash for clunkers. Many stout vehicles made it to an early grave and here we have a lot of poor quality vehicles being built and ending up being recycled very quickly. The fact that they are building in so many distractions and autonomy at the same time is confusing to say the least. The automobile industry is going through some challenges adapting as quickly as they need to so right now is a bizarre time to buy a new car.
I'd attribute it more to the shift away from ownership to leasing. Also, Americans don't want to drive old-ass cars anymore. "No bluetooth!!! Fuck that."
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: January 29, 2018, 10:37:38 AM »
I'd attribute it more to the shift away from ownership to leasing. Also, Americans don't want to drive old-ass cars anymore. "No bluetooth!!! Fuck that."

To that point:  my '06 was cutting edge at the time.  I have a Sirius radio module in the car (but no pause, rewind or ff functionality) and my Bluetooth is ONLY for phone operation.  Thus I can't play music from my phone and (as of yet*) I can't play my iPod in the car.   I have two cables from the backseat to charge my iPhone (personal cell) and Samsung (work phone).  My stepson brought home a new Volvo for my wife (his mom) to test drive, and it automatically hooks to your phone, prioritizes your contact list and music files, and has a built-in contact charger in the armrest for Samsung phones.    I'm pretty sure the car will automatically flood the cabin with patchouli if the Dead, Phish, DMB or Widespread Panic is played, though I haven't tested that yet.   

* el Barto:  Do you know anyone that knows how to program the radio unit (in mine, it's a Blaupunkt Business CD); I should be able to plug an aux cord AND the Sirius into the back, but when I plug in the wires it's not "seeing" the aux input.   I have talked with a guy at the dealership - I know more than he does about the system, sad to say - and a guy from the forums - I go to Bimmerfest - who was kind enough to actually get on the phone with me and walk me through the pin placement, and yet it doesn't work.  We could only conclude that the radio itself might require reprogramming to accept the aux in signal.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #403 on: January 29, 2018, 10:40:18 AM »
I'm pretty sure the car will automatically flood the cabin with patchouli if the Dead, Phish, DMB or Widespread Panic is played, though I haven't tested that yet.   

:rollin
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #404 on: January 29, 2018, 11:55:17 AM »

To that point:  my '06 was cutting edge at the time.  I have a Sirius radio module in the car (but no pause, rewind or ff functionality) and my Bluetooth is ONLY for phone operation.  Thus I can't play music from my phone and (as of yet*) I can't play my iPod in the car.   I have two cables from the backseat to charge my iPhone (personal cell) and Samsung (work phone).  My stepson brought home a new Volvo for my wife (his mom) to test drive, and it automatically hooks to your phone, prioritizes your contact list and music files, and has a built-in contact charger in the armrest for Samsung phones.    I'm pretty sure the car will automatically flood the cabin with patchouli if the Dead, Phish, DMB or Widespread Panic is played, though I haven't tested that yet.   

* el Barto:  Do you know anyone that knows how to program the radio unit (in mine, it's a Blaupunkt Business CD); I should be able to plug an aux cord AND the Sirius into the back, but when I plug in the wires it's not "seeing" the aux input.   I have talked with a guy at the dealership - I know more than he does about the system, sad to say - and a guy from the forums - I go to Bimmerfest - who was kind enough to actually get on the phone with me and walk me through the pin placement, and yet it doesn't work.  We could only conclude that the radio itself might require reprogramming to accept the aux in signal.
Mine was a straight plug-n-play. Like you the dealership merely said "can't be done," so I did my research and came back the next day with a part number for him to order. Got the cable, plugged it in, had AUX. There was no programming. It just scrolls through the sources tuner-CD-AUX.

I'm guessing you have the same head unit I do:

I know there are two 10-pin sockets back there. One is for the CD changer and the other is "sound system." If I had to take a guess what's up with yours, it'd be that Sirius uses the sound system plug, which leaves the CD changer plug for you and the two are pinned very differently.

E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: January 29, 2018, 12:09:48 PM »
Exactly the same head. 

I had the wiring diagram.  Bluetooth uses the "Sound System" jack, and the Sirius goes into the "CD-Changer" jack.   That leaves the Aux out in the cold.  I should be able to pull the wires from the Aux plug and insert them into the plug for the Sirius (they are not the same slots) but it doesn't seem to work.   Official word from the dealer is "can't have both", but that doesn't jive for some of the people that seem to know more about the systems.  Problem is, it DOES register the "Aux" input on the radio when I have those wires plugged in, which it shouldn't do, it just doesn't play any sound. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #406 on: January 29, 2018, 12:16:33 PM »
Were it me I'd try to piggyback it on the BT side since that's where the AUX input normally resides, rather than the CD Changer side. In any case, have you tried yanking the BT cable and seeing if the AUX dongle works by itself, not piggybacked? 
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: January 29, 2018, 12:19:44 PM »
Were it me I'd try to piggyback it on the BT side since that's where the AUX input normally resides, rather than the CD Changer side. In any case, have you tried yanking the BT cable and seeing if the AUX dongle works by itself, not piggybacked?

Yes, and it does.  I go back and forth on that, and I'm actually thinking about bailing on the Bluetooth, because honestly, I rarely use it.  I kept it because my daughter sometimes drives that car, and I don't want her fucking with her phone while driving.  I'd rather her use the handsfree calling.   

EDIT: I might have had it backwards; I might have plugged in the wires to the BT side.  It was over the summer, so I don't remember, but I think you might be right. 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: January 29, 2018, 09:32:32 PM »

Mine was a straight plug-n-play. Like you the dealership merely said "can't be done," so I did my research and came back the next day with a part number for him to order. Got the cable, plugged it in, had AUX. There was no programming. It just scrolls through the sources tuner-CD-AUX.

I'm guessing you have the same head unit I do:

I know there are two 10-pin sockets back there. One is for the CD changer and the other is "sound system." If I had to take a guess what's up with yours, it'd be that Sirius uses the sound system plug, which leaves the CD changer plug for you and the two are pinned very differently.

I have pretty good iphone integration with my car. I bought, and I can't remember the name of it but I'll look tomorrow morning, a unit that plugs into the cd changer in the trunk. I ran the wire through the rear seats and into the center console and it'll play anything off my iphone 7 or ipod. Steering wheel controls work, and the stock headunit can sort through folders, albums, whatever and display the song - artist - album.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: January 29, 2018, 09:34:36 PM »
As a note the last really fun BMW I drove was the 135i. My buddy worked as a sales guy at a BMW dealership a few years ago and I'd come in to test drive some cars for fun. We took the 135 out and it was a blast. It was a a convertible so top down, in florida, with a beautiful exhaust note was some of the most fun I've had in any BMW. It was nimble and had a ton of horsepower. When they were new I never gave them a second glance but now I wish I could've gone back in time and gotten it.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #410 on: January 30, 2018, 05:27:52 PM »
Also, Americans don't want to drive old-ass cars anymore. "No bluetooth!!! Fuck that."

I love driving my old school old-ass rides more than anything! They all have the amenities too, touch screen, bluetooth, navigation, backup camera, kick ass interior and sound. Babes love em too

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #411 on: January 31, 2018, 09:03:13 AM »
Also, Americans don't want to drive old-ass cars anymore. "No bluetooth!!! Fuck that."

I love driving my old school old-ass rides more than anything! They all have the amenities too, touch screen, bluetooth, navigation, backup camera, kick ass interior and sound. Babes love em too

I'd love to drive older cars around, but I'm too nervous in them from a reliability standpoint. I drive 500-600 miles a week. I need something that I can have confidence in and trust that it's not going to constantly die on me.

Also, CT can be a bitch on old cars. Winter does them no good. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #412 on: January 31, 2018, 10:30:13 AM »
My boss has a fondness for old T-birds. He showed up driving a ~62 or so one morning that he'd just bought. That fondness lasted about 1 month. And this from a guy who's daily commute is 6 miles round trip. Jumped right back into a leased El Dorado.
E.F. Benson

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #413 on: January 31, 2018, 10:37:30 AM »
Coworker of mine left the business a couple weeks ago after being here 12 years (body shop). Got sick of working on modern cars and all the new technology (we just bought an aluminum welding station because stupid manufacturers are going to stupid aluminum now, and we just bought a plastic welder, and...). More and more sensors keep getting thrown in there, especially in bumpers. Unplug one thing to change a light, sets off 10 error codes.

He has his own operation at home of course, so that's what he's doing now. Working on and restoring old cars (I'm talking OLD, back to the 30s), is now taking in jobs from all over the country. Then he flips 'em when he's finished. Dude goes through cars more often than I go through socks, literally! I don't really care about cars but I totally understand why he enjoys the old stuff so much. Modern cars suck. I've been sanding parts here for 10 years and yesterday I spent 4 hours scuffing a bumper cover with the hardest primer I've EVER dealt with. Wet sand, scuff with abrasive gel, DA... fucker looked like I had barely scuffed it after an hour. Plastic sucks :)

Story: We've restored a couple old cars in the past but never again, way too much of a headache (and we're not even a restoration shop, anyway). Did a 76 Trans Am once, and a 1959 Chevy Biscayne. Had the Biscayne in the shop for 4 years because the guy was stingy and didn't want to fork over the money we had put into finding all the rare parts and restoring the whole damn thing... so one day he finally gives in and he picks it up and less than 40 minutes later forgot to put it in park all the way and it rolled into a fence. Haha.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #414 on: January 31, 2018, 10:40:42 AM »
In March 2017 I leased a Ford Fusion Energi, which is a plug-in Hybrid and I absolutely love it. For financial reasons I'll likely finance it at the end of the lease, but a year or two into payments I'd like to switch over to something all electric. So far the Bolt, Leaf (which will be getting a big range increase in 2019), and eventually the Model 3 will all be great options, but I have reservations about all of them. Will be following this general segment of things closely over the next few years.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: January 31, 2018, 03:07:08 PM »

That's got some power to it.  I can only say I've rented Velosters in the past on business trips and I thought they were terrible, but they were also the cheap low powered ones.  I'm sure this one is much more fun.  Granted, I also am not a hatchback fan nor am I a car guy, so my opinion shouldn't mean much.

I think 2018 is the year I get a new car.  My 2010 Civic runs well still with 135k miles, but cosmetically, it is starting to fall apart to the point that I am not really wanting to throw money into it.   I would really like something with a little more power to it, but also keep that low key image.  I only once got pulled over in this car (for something that was a trap and very obvious and standing out of me) and I think the low keyness of a civic really helps when I am flying on the highway amongst the sporty cars.  I could see myself going with a V6 Accord coupe for the next round.  But I am not totally sure if I'd want to sell my Civic or keep it as a spare car since the guts are still solid and I don't expect to get much for it since it doesn't look like it's in good shape.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: February 01, 2018, 04:49:05 AM »
In March 2017 I leased a Ford Fusion Energi, which is a plug-in Hybrid and I absolutely love it. For financial reasons I'll likely finance it at the end of the lease, but a year or two into payments I'd like to switch over to something all electric. So far the Bolt, Leaf (which will be getting a big range increase in 2019), and eventually the Model 3 will all be great options, but I have reservations about all of them. Will be following this general segment of things closely over the next few years.

Even though I don't think it's a great looking car I'm a big fan of the Bolt. If you haven't, check out Doug Demuro's video on the Bolt on Youtube.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #417 on: February 01, 2018, 07:09:11 AM »

Even though I don't think it's a great looking car I'm a big fan of the Bolt. If you haven't, check out Doug Demuro's video on the Bolt on Youtube.

Will do. In that same vein, I think the new Honda Clarity Plug-In seems to be an Accord like vehicle (which I love, even though I've never owned), but I think the styling on the back end will kill it for some people.

And FWIW, my two current big strikes against the Bolt are lack of power seats (with memory settings), and lack of Adaptive Cruise Control.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 07:21:21 AM by Nick »
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #418 on: February 01, 2018, 08:37:49 AM »
Of course after the Bolt video from Doug the Model 3 video was recommended, and... WAAAAAAANNNNNNTTTT.

I currently drive over 20,000 miles a year and have no doubt I'd get used to the screen setup in the Model 3, especially as the controls will be refined by the time I'd ever be driving one, so it really comes down to price with that car.

Yeah, it's a $35k base, but tack on 1k for color option, 5k to get the options package, 5k for the enhanced autopilot, and 1k for destination and realistically, before even factoring in a desire for long range or AWD, you're looking at 47k for the car. Then the kick in the nuts is the tax credit will be gone at that point. So it'll be 47k for the Model 3 or likely under 35k after credits for the fully loaded Bolt or Leaf. That's a big gap.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #419 on: February 01, 2018, 09:20:38 AM »
I thought autopilot came standard on the base model 3?