Author Topic: Anything related to automobiles  (Read 100752 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Anything related to automobiles
« Reply #350 on: July 14, 2017, 09:41:40 AM »
Mini Coopers- The gift that keeps on giving.

I have yet to hear a positive story from anyone who has owned a Mini.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #351 on: July 14, 2017, 09:49:53 AM »
Mini Coopers- The gift that keeps on giving.

I have yet to hear a positive story from anyone who has owned a Mini.

So far it's cost me less than either my Passat or Mazda3 Hatchback did, and I had it for more than 50k miles longer than either of those. I've had a couple bugs with it here and there, but to be fair, I've beaten the absolute living shit out of it for 105K miles now and it still running great. I'm actually blown away by how good it's been given my driving style and the fact that it's been through five CT winters now.

It should be noted that I have the non-turbo version. The boosted ones do tend to have some issues with the engines.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #352 on: July 14, 2017, 09:54:48 AM »
My Girlfriend was looking at getting a used Mini a year or so ago. Everyone whom I spoke with who had a Mini told me to run far away. Good to know that they aren't all bad.

If I started making semi decent money, I'd totally invest in one.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #353 on: July 14, 2017, 11:47:48 AM »
The sport versions are supposed to be an absolute panic to drive. My stepfather bought one just to do The Italian Job all over Dallas. But yeah, surprisingly poor build quality.

@Chino: Didn't you have to have carbon deposits scraped out of that thing like 3 different times? Fouling the plugs and whatnot? That's the sort of thing that should never pop up in a modern, well-designed car. In any case, it seems to suit you well. Glad it's worked out. My first BMW was the cheapest car I ever owned by a long shot, despite driving it every day for 10 years like Beauford T. Justice was chasing me. Sometimes cars with a bad reputation for being costly to own really aren't.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #354 on: July 14, 2017, 11:58:31 AM »
@Chino: Didn't you have to have carbon deposits scraped out of that thing like 3 different times? Fouling the plugs and whatnot? That's the sort of thing that should never pop up in a modern, well-designed car. In any case, it seems to suit you well. Glad it's worked out. My first BMW was the cheapest car I ever owned by a long shot, despite driving it every day for 10 years like Beauford T. Justice was chasing me. Sometimes cars with a bad reputation for being costly to own really aren't.

I've never had to do that. I had to replace the ignition module (or whatever that thing is that controls spark timing) but that was it. I ran a bottle of that sea foam stuff through it and nothing more.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #355 on: July 14, 2017, 12:41:43 PM »
A quick search for "carbon" in this thread suggests that you seafoamed it twice and still had to take it to the dealer when a cylinder crapped out because of carbon buildup on all four spark plugs. Oh, and you also ran though two water pumps in a short period of time.

Not trying to rag on your car here. Like I said, it's a great fit for you and other than those two problems it seems to have worked out quite well. And the water pump thing is all on BMW. They use shitty plastic impellers, for some reason. I'm just thinking that all of that carbon doesn't reflect well on the brand when we're discussing Mini's questionable reliability. There are always exceptions, both good and bad. My boss drove a brand new El Dorado off the lot and had a cylinder crap out in the first 2 months. You just hear horror stories from a lot of mini owners.

I've never had to do that. I had to replace the ignition module (or whatever that thing is that controls spark timing) but that was it. I ran a bottle of that sea foam stuff through it and nothing more.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: July 14, 2017, 12:43:54 PM »
My co-worker bought a mini last year.  Already had to take it back to the dealer for minor issues twice, the last being the window not going back up.  He's also had bad luck with it where two separate people crashed into him from behind  :lol  Not the cars fault.  He's good and knowledgable with cars (way moreso than me) and said before buying it he expected issues.  He also bought it new since a used one is almost guaranteed to be a headache.  It was really the car his wife wanted, not him, but otherwise he really likes it.  Personally, I'd never buy one because I put reliability as a top criteria for a car.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #357 on: July 14, 2017, 12:51:43 PM »
A quick search for "carbon" in this thread suggests that you seafoamed it twice and still had to take it to the dealer when a cylinder crapped out because of carbon buildup on all four spark plugs. Oh, and you also ran though two water pumps in a short period of time.

Not trying to rag on your car here. Like I said, it's a great fit for you and other than those two problems it seems to have worked out quite well. And the water pump thing is all on BMW. They use shitty plastic impellers, for some reason. I'm just thinking that all of that carbon doesn't reflect well on the brand when we're discussing Mini's questionable reliability. There are always exceptions, both good and bad. My boss drove a brand new El Dorado off the lot and had a cylinder crap out in the first 2 months. You just hear horror stories from a lot of mini owners.

Yeah, I remember thinking it was carbon build up messing up the plugs, but it ended up being the module. I forgot that I had seafoamed it prior to that second time. I never had a cylinder down for the count. I might have thought that was what was wrong, but it ultimately wasn't once mechanics got under the hood. The water pumps were an early issue, yes. The first one shit the bed really early, and I'm convinced the second one wasn't installed correctly as it went in less than 2k miles if I remember correctly. I had plastic impeller issues on my Passat as well. Out of all the hardware and technology on a car, it seems like that part would not cost all that much if manufactured in metal rather than plastic. They must make a lot of money off of waterpump changes.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #358 on: July 14, 2017, 12:54:10 PM »
My co-worker bought a mini last year.  Already had to take it back to the dealer for minor issues twice, the last being the window not going back up.  He's also had bad luck with it where two separate people crashed into him from behind  :lol  Not the cars fault.  He's good and knowledgable with cars (way moreso than me) and said before buying it he expected issues.  He also bought it new since a used one is almost guaranteed to be a headache.  It was really the car his wife wanted, not him, but otherwise he really likes it.  Personally, I'd never buy one because I put reliability as a top criteria for a car.

Do you know what model he had? My dad bought a Paceman and had a similar issue with the driver window. There's a pressure switch in the window that can detect if there's something in the windows way when it's rolling up (like a child's face) and it will reverse it if that sensor detect resistance. It was faulty from the factory and the dealer didn't charge him for his first month of having the car.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: July 14, 2017, 12:58:40 PM »
I don't know off my head, I'd have to ask.   But I think that window issue was known in BMWs and whatnot so very common in these cars, according to him when we last talked about it.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #360 on: July 14, 2017, 01:00:59 PM »
I don't know off my head, I'd have to ask.   But I think that window issue was known in BMWs and whatnot so very common in these cars, according to him when we last talked about it.

It seems like the bulk of the issues Mini has is because of the BMW parts they put on them  :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #361 on: July 14, 2017, 01:36:03 PM »

It seems like the bulk of the issues Mini has is because of the BMW parts they put on them  :lol
Not entirely untrue. BMW also likes to use plastic window regulators. In almost any car there are a list of known problems that crop up. The water pumps and the windows have been two of BMW's problems for ages. Tail lights are another biggie. That said, you won't find a better built drivetrain. BMW motors never fail. When a BMW finally gives it up due to age it's usually because the head gasket failed and the rest of the car isn't worth the cost of repairing. Internally the engine will still be aces. Hell, I put pert near 50k on my E36 after the head gasket failed. Every 9 months or so I'd have the cooling system flushed due to the oxidation. Other than that no problems at all. Didn't let it go until water was pretty much pouring out of the side of the engine block.
E.F. Benson

Offline T-ski

« Reply #362 on: July 14, 2017, 01:49:31 PM »
my Dad is a retired autobody man and is looking to unload his '62 T-bird.  I'll be more than happy to send anyone more info if they so choose....

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: July 15, 2017, 06:47:22 AM »
Since I've gotten a house with a garage I'm actually enjoying working on my car. I have an e46 BMW and there is work to be done (due to my negligence) but it's not bad to work on with one exception which is taking the engine fan off.

Chino you have a mini, which is essentially a BMW. Do yourself a favor and buy this: https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Diagnostic-Scanner-Adapter-Smartphone/dp/B00QRE0OOA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1500122749&sr=8-2&keywords=elm327+wifi

And then buy the engine link app on the app store. You can pull and clear your own codes, which you'll get a lot in the mini, take from a fellow bmw owner.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #364 on: July 17, 2017, 07:02:19 AM »
I'm with el Barto on the BMW thing.  I've had four or six depending on how you count, and with only one exception (the catalytic converter on a 5-Series I had in '01) I've never encountered the so-called "EXPENSIVE REPAIR!" (I mean by that the repair that cost so much you debate why you even have the car).   You have to take care of them, and you have to find someone non-dealer you trust, but they are manageable. 

Even the X3 I have - not a sports car - is one of the funnest cars I've driven in a while (and don't get me started on my sons 330xi; I've already told him I have first refusal rights if he decides to sell).   

I joke with him (he's a mechanic at a Volvo/Saab dealer) that if there is something you don't understand why they do that (on a BMW), you can pretty much guarantee it's you being dumb, not the Germans.  They thought of something you didn't and you haven't figured it out yet.   :)   (There are exceptions to that rule; the water pump is one of them). 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #365 on: July 17, 2017, 08:57:35 AM »
I thought you'd already bought the 330X.

And while BMW does have reasons for everything they do, some of them don't work out very well. Placing the battery where the 50lbs is most needed for balance makes great sense. Placing it under the rear seat so that it takes 2 hours to replace does not.
E.F. Benson

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #366 on: July 17, 2017, 09:12:55 AM »
My parent's have two BMWs. My mom has a 2013 Z4 and my dad has a 2014 535. I took my mom's Z4 for a spin while visiting yesterday, and it died on me at a red light. I had to get it into park and refire it. Apparently that happened twice last week too. She brought it to the dealer and they said it was her battery. They charged her $400 to replace it and it obviously didn't solve the issue. My father was livid that she authorized that work to begin with, and now he's even more pissed that it wasn't needed at all.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: July 17, 2017, 10:09:18 AM »

And while BMW does have reasons for everything they do, some of them don't work out very well. Placing the battery where the 50lbs is most needed for balance makes great sense. Placing it under the rear seat so that it takes 2 hours to replace does not.

No, he decided he wanted to keep it and he sold one of his other cars.  I bought a '98 Toyota Tacoma as a second car instead. 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: July 17, 2017, 06:36:59 PM »

I couldn't agree more. I had to replace my fuel filter last year. It was the easiest thing ever, popped the back seat out, flat head screw drive and out she came. Took less than 45 minutes.

I have to replace the oil filter gasket because I have a very oil leak. You would think this is easy because the oil filter sits on top of the engine (smart move by BMW). Well I have to remove the fan, the serpentine belt, the alternator, disconnect the power steering pump for a gasket that cost me $5.

That said I love my BMW, it's got it's quirks but it has never left me stranded and while some of the electrical bits act up it's been the most reliable car I own. The i6 is a beast of an engine and as old as it is I still get compliments from time to time and it's fairly well loaded.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #369 on: July 17, 2017, 08:07:28 PM »
I couldn't agree more. I had to replace my fuel filter last year. It was the easiest thing ever, popped the back seat out, flat head screw drive and out she came. Took less than 45 minutes.
Filter or pump? All of my BMWs had the filters inline underneath the rear, driver's side door. Sounds like you were getting into the tank, as one would to replace a fuel pump. You drive an E46 M, right?

I replaced the oil filter housing gasket on one of my cars, but don't remember which one. Once they start to leak they really leak. I recall that it was annoying but I didn't have to remove the fan. I think the alternator was the only thing I had to remove.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #370 on: July 17, 2017, 08:09:22 PM »
EB, I never pictures you as a BMW guy.

Perceptions man, perceptions.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #371 on: July 17, 2017, 08:35:24 PM »
EB, I never pictures you as a BMW guy.

Perceptions man, perceptions.
That's just what I drive when my 83 Chevette is in the shop.

Seriously, BMWs are the perfect blend of performance and comfort, not to mention thoughtfully designed. My kind of cars. They're also durable as hell, which is very important if you're like me and can't afford a car less than 10 years old. If you've got to buy a car built during the Clinton administration, BMW is the only way to go.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: July 17, 2017, 09:21:23 PM »
Filter or pump? All of my BMWs had the filters inline underneath the rear, driver's side door. Sounds like you were getting into the tank, as one would to replace a fuel pump. You drive an E46 M, right?

I replaced the oil filter housing gasket on one of my cars, but don't remember which one. Once they start to leak they really leak. I recall that it was annoying but I didn't have to remove the fan. I think the alternator was the only thing I had to remove.

Pump my apologies I hade on too many beers.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #373 on: July 18, 2017, 07:24:05 AM »
You guys are really selling me on BMW.  I've never considered them except when I was in college and coveted the E39 M5.  They apparently can be had rather inexpensively these days.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: July 18, 2017, 07:40:29 AM »
They are nice cars Jasc. I really want to get an e92 M3, those were some of the best looking M cars

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: July 18, 2017, 07:53:51 AM »
You guys are really selling me on BMW.  I've never considered them except when I was in college and coveted the E39 M5.  They apparently can be had rather inexpensively these days.

The E39 can be had relatively inexpensively, but - at least around where I am (the Northeast) - the M version is a little more pricey and a little less common.   That's my son's holy grail car at this point. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #376 on: July 18, 2017, 08:29:45 AM »
I've generally steered clear of M cars simply because it throws my math off. While I can keep a 10 year old BMW on the road very affordably all that changes when you double the cost for parts and everything becomes more fine-tuned. I suppose if I had the money to buy an E90 M in the first place I wouldn't be so concerned about it, but the cost of admission plus the cost of upkeep is prohibitive to me.

Besides, I'd go with an M-Coupe. That's where BMWs return to being "fun."
E.F. Benson

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #377 on: July 18, 2017, 09:09:41 AM »
Can anyone think of a reason why this listing is $10k-$15K cheaper than anything comparable? Trucks with 50K more miles than this one are selling for $10k more.

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/1FTSW21568EA71764/2008-ford-super-duty-f-250/

2008 Ford Super Duty F-250 4WD Crew Cab 172" XLT
for Sale in Ansonia, CT
23,214 miles

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: July 18, 2017, 09:32:03 AM »
My first reaction is it was hit and repaired.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: July 18, 2017, 11:15:57 AM »
I would think the same thing Stadler

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: July 18, 2017, 11:44:01 AM »
CARFAX says no, though.  It did have a catalytic converter problem, but that's it.    It was a commercial vehicle for a while, but still...

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #381 on: July 18, 2017, 11:50:31 AM »
CARFAX says no, though.  It did have a catalytic converter problem, but that's it.    It was a commercial vehicle for a while, but still...

I'm more curious about why it's been serviced 13 times with that little mileage, unless the first owner did their due diligence and brought it in for a checkup every year. It doesn't look like it was beat on. It doesn't have the mounts up front, so whatever it was doing commercially didn't involve a plow. The rear bumper and tow hitch look new and there's next to no wear in the bed.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #382 on: July 18, 2017, 03:14:32 PM »
So not only is there /r/BMW, and /r/5series, and /r/E39, but there is an /r/E39M5.  Also www.m5board.com.

Just a bit of daydreaming thanks to this thread.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #383 on: July 18, 2017, 05:10:10 PM »
So not only is there /r/BMW, and /r/5series, and /r/E39, but there is an /r/E39M5.  Also www.m5board.com.

When I bought my first one, circa 98, the online community was a big selling point for me. There's no question that hasn't been answered a dozen times. Every repair has numerous DYIs with pictures and videos. I'm partial to bimmerforums.com, myself, and any problem I've encountered has numerous threads discussing likely causes and remedies. It's really a wonderful resource.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: July 19, 2017, 05:20:29 AM »

I'll leave this for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_rjhiIIcX0