Author Topic: Anything related to automobiles  (Read 100674 times)

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Anything related to automobiles
« Reply #175 on: November 18, 2013, 06:29:48 PM »
I've been driving a Civic EX for about 14 years now.  Seriously thinking about a new 2014 Camaro SS.  Tired of rice burners, although I'm also considering a 2014 Nissan 370Z.  However, not as many options as the Camaro.  We shall see.

For what a Camaro SS costs, I'd prefer to get the Mini Cooper John Cooper Works hardtop. I'm assuming you wouldn't be using the back seats anyway.

I've been driving a Civic EX for about 14 years now.  Seriously thinking about a new 2014 Camaro SS.  Tired of rice burners, although I'm also considering a 2014 Nissan 370Z.  However, not as many options as the Camaro.  We shall see.

Have you driven a 370z compared to a 350z? I'm curious because in high school I drove around in my dads 350 a few months while he was overseas. It was an awesome car but now that I'm 9 years older (good lord) the 350 and 370 didn't age well for me.

For what a Camaro SS costs, I'd prefer to get the Mini Cooper John Cooper Works hardtop. I'm assuming you wouldn't be using the back seats anyway.

My buddy has a full loaded john works clubman, it's pretty nice :tup Lots of neat features.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #176 on: February 06, 2014, 08:16:36 PM »
Just began the prime of her life today:

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #177 on: February 06, 2014, 10:17:58 PM »
Both of my 3's made it to about 220k before they became cost prohibitive to keep on the road.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #178 on: February 09, 2014, 10:49:07 AM »
Street legal New Beetle w/ a jet engine.

https://www.ronpatrickstuff.com/

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #179 on: February 10, 2014, 04:33:18 AM »
Both of my 3's made it to about 220k before they became cost prohibitive to keep on the road.

Damn I'm jealous. My Mini is getting on a flatbed for the second time tomorrow. Piece of shit. I'm dumping that car the day my warranty is up and I don't see myself sticking with the brand.

(taken from my post at a mini forum)

The vehicle is a 2013 Justa with 29,300 miles on it. I've had its oil changed on schedule, and the water pump died and was replaced under warranty at 22,000 miles.

Mini Noise - YouTube

Any insight would be much appreciated :)

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: February 10, 2014, 06:43:22 AM »

Damn I'm jealous. My Mini is getting on a flatbed for the second time tomorrow. Piece of shit. I'm dumping that car the day my warranty is up and I don't see myself sticking with the brand.

(taken from my post at a mini forum)

The vehicle is a 2013 Justa with 29,300 miles on it. I've had its oil changed on schedule, and the water pump died and was replaced under warranty at 22,000 miles.

Mini Noise - YouTube

Any insight would be much appreciated :)

My buddy owns a 2014 countryman (which was rated by one automotive group as one of the most unreliable cars out there) and it has been back to the dealership 3 times already. It doesn't even have 10k. Tis a shame because the car is nice overall.

In other news I discovered my bmw has a small oil leak from the bolt, no biggie but it left a little mess underneath the car.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: February 10, 2014, 07:12:23 AM »
Can't help you Chino, but Mini's are the least reliable cars accoorrding to Consumer Reports. Next on the list is Lincoln - I drove one of those for awhile, but it became way to much to maintain around 80k, as it needed frequent costly repairs, and given the parts and level of maintenance skill needed to repair the Lincoln, even cheapo repairs could wind up being expensive. I'd imagine BMW is kind of the same.

The difference is, driving Lincoln and BMW is a lot of fun usually, while driving a Mini is... I dunno, you tell me?

I'm much happier in a Honda Civic these days. Accelerating isn't as fun as it used to be, but I'm saving almost half of my payment in what I used to pay for gas. I also expect it to hold up better overall.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #182 on: February 10, 2014, 01:28:51 PM »
The Minis used to be halfway reliable. I know there are plenty of owners that love theirs. I think the unreliability thing is a more recent phenomenon. Shame, because the S models are supposed to be a hoot to drive. Sadly, BMW isn't really focusing much on fun anymore. Each new generation seems to become more sterile than the last.

Can't help you Chino, but Mini's are the least reliable cars accoorrding to Consumer Reports. Next on the list is Lincoln - I drove one of those for awhile, but it became way to much to maintain around 80k, as it needed frequent costly repairs, and given the parts and level of maintenance skill needed to repair the Lincoln, even cheapo repairs could wind up being expensive. I'd imagine BMW is kind of the same.
BMW's can be expensive to repair, but they're built incredibly well so the repairs are infrequent.

Reaper: don't you own some hot-ass M3 or something? I'd find out where exactly that leak is coming from. If  it's a headbolt, you've got problems. If it's the valve cover or rear seal it's likely cheap enough to be better off fixed. No point in dealing with the hassle, especially given what oil costs nowadays.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #183 on: February 10, 2014, 01:44:35 PM »
The Mini is hands down one of the most fun vehicles I've ever driven. Even though it lacks the horsepower, you can rip through town and back roads in ways that no other cars can. I love driving a Mini, I hate owning it. I agree with EB. The BMW lines are becoming more about the luxury than the the driving experience. However, my mom has an 2013 3 series coupe that is terrifying to drive. It begs for more throttle no matter how fast you're going around a turn.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #184 on: February 10, 2014, 02:13:59 PM »
It begs for more throttle no matter how fast you're going around a turn.
That's been a hallmark of the 3 series since they invented the thing. It's what sold me on my for 325IS back in the 90's. Guy that sold it to me took me for a drive that pretty much hooked me. The terrifying aspect is a different story. While they continue to get faster, they also remove a lot of the funness of them by taking away control. You can't find sticks anymore, and while I understand the benefit of a modern SMG, without a clutch it's just not the same. Furthermore, traction and stability control also make it harder to scare people.

And what's wrong with your Mini, BTW? Didn't you just buy that thing, and shouldn't it still have a factory warrant?
E.F. Benson

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #185 on: February 10, 2014, 02:18:51 PM »
The Mini is just being a pain in the ass. It's water pump failed at 23k miles and was replaced under warranty. Now it sounds like someone is jamming an empty soda can into a spinning bike wheel. It's horrible sounding. Factory warranty is good until 50k miles. I'm going to start looking to dump it come 45k miles. It also already rattles a bunch in the cabin.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #186 on: February 10, 2014, 03:10:54 PM »
Water pumps fail. I don't read too much into those. BMW used pumps with plastic impellers for years. The first thing any responsible owner did was to replace the thing with an aftermarket pump with steel impellers that's good forever. Wouldn't surprise me if Mini did the same thing. As for the noise, when does it happen and where does it come from? Not trying to dissuade you from unloading the thing, just bored on Amtrak and playing the troubleshooting game.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #187 on: February 10, 2014, 06:09:53 PM »
Water pumps fail. I don't read too much into those. BMW used pumps with plastic impellers for years. The first thing any responsible owner did was to replace the thing with an aftermarket pump with steel impellers that's good forever. Wouldn't surprise me if Mini did the same thing. As for the noise, when does it happen and where does it come from? Not trying to dissuade you from unloading the thing, just bored on Amtrak and playing the troubleshooting game.  :lol

I get that water pumps fail. The Passat and Mazda3 that I had prior to this both had one fail. However, both of those were after 100k miles. I'm a responsible owner, not a car mechanic, I couldn't swap out a water pump on a Mini without fucking a dozen other things up.

As for the rattles inside, wherever plastic meets plastic is a source of noise. The entire dash, the radio, the door moldings, etc... they all rattle unless I'm applying pressure with my arm or fist. Sorry for the late reply and leaving you hanging on the train haha.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 06:22:58 PM by Chino »

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: February 10, 2014, 06:18:51 PM »
I know a guy who has a Mini that's been nothing but trouble. I don't know exactly what he has had to have done but he said something like after he hit 20k miles it was just one thing after another.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: February 10, 2014, 07:17:07 PM »

I get that water pumps fail. The Passat and Mazda3 that I had prior to this both had one fail. However, both of those were after 100k miles. I'm a responsible owner, not a car mechanic, I couldn't swap out a water pump on a Mini without fucking a dozen other things up.

As for the rattles inside, wherever plastic meets plastic is a source of noise. The entire dash, the radio, the door moldings, etc... they all rattle unless I'm applying pressure with my arm or fist. Sorry for the late reply and leaving you hanging on the train haha.

Yeah, water pump should NOT be failing that quickly.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #190 on: February 11, 2014, 12:44:42 AM »
Yeah, water pump should NOT be failing that quickly.
No. One shouldn't. But they can and do fail early sometimes. I just wouldn't take that as necessarily a knock against a car. However, it sounds like there's more than enough evidence from all sorts of people that the cars a pieces of shit.

Chino: I thought you were saying that there was a horrible noise, and the car rattled. I also wasn't suggesting that responsible car owners change their own water pumps. There are other repairs (timing belt, accessory belts, engine fan, etc.) that get done that involve getting down into it, and it's usually done then. Any mechanic who has to get within 30 minutes of a water pump will usually suggest you go ahead and replace it preventively. In the older BMWs, the rule was to replace the timing belt and the water pump whenever either one needed it.  Adds 15 minutes of labor and restarts the clock.
E.F. Benson

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: February 11, 2014, 06:30:41 AM »
Reaper: don't you own some hot-ass M3 or something? I'd find out where exactly that leak is coming from. If  it's a headbolt, you've got problems. If it's the valve cover or rear seal it's likely cheap enough to be better off fixed. No point in dealing with the hassle, especially given what oil costs nowadays.

I tracked it down last night, it's an oil filter gasket leak, and no, no m3 for me :(. I am looking to replace my 330 with an e92 m3 this summer. My issue is I took the s1000rr (motorcycle) for a ride a few months ago and I feel like I can live with my 330 and get another motorcycle.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #192 on: February 11, 2014, 09:10:31 AM »

I tracked it down last night, it's an oil filter gasket leak, and no, no m3 for me :(. I am looking to replace my 330 with an e92 m3 this summer. My issue is I took the s1000rr (motorcycle) for a ride a few months ago and I feel like I can live with my 330 and get another motorcycle.
Be careful getting that fixed. A local mechanic quoted me a shit-ton of labor on the filter housing gasket, since a lot of stuff would have to come off to get at it. Did it myself at a friends house in 2 hours, and most of that was learning curve time. Honestly, my new mechanic could have done it in 30 minutes. Also, the belts will have to come off, so if they're even slightly worn now is the time to replace them.

The thing that concerned me about the E92 M3 is the so-called "launch mode." Getting that thing to take off requires nearly as many steps as starting a B29 bomber. That's what I was saying about taking the fun out of driving. You shouldn't need a checklist to blow somebody off of a line. Also, I believe the car keeps track of how many times it's been done, and after a handful of "launches" BMW will void the warrant on your clutch packs.
E.F. Benson

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: February 11, 2014, 04:30:23 PM »

Be careful getting that fixed. A local mechanic quoted me a shit-ton of labor on the filter housing gasket, since a lot of stuff would have to come off to get at it. Did it myself at a friends house in 2 hours, and most of that was learning curve time. Honestly, my new mechanic could have done it in 30 minutes. Also, the belts will have to come off, so if they're even slightly worn now is the time to replace them.

The thing that concerned me about the E92 M3 is the so-called "launch mode." Getting that thing to take off requires nearly as many steps as starting a B29 bomber. That's what I was saying about taking the fun out of driving. You shouldn't need a checklist to blow somebody off of a line. Also, I believe the car keeps track of how many times it's been done, and after a handful of "launches" BMW will void the warrant on your clutch packs.

I plan to do the work myself, there is very little that I won't work on in my cars.

Yea I remember that huge scandal when the launch control came out. I believe the the first gen GTR would also void it after a certain number of launched starts.

My buddy took me in a ride in his 2014 rs5 and did a launch start, it may have a 14 point check list but when it launches it feels like being kicked in the throat.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #194 on: February 11, 2014, 04:38:48 PM »
Just began the prime of her life today:

I'd like to ask a paramedic how many times he's come across a car wrapped around a telephone pole with the clock at exactly 100,000. Guarantee it happens.
E.F. Benson

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #195 on: February 11, 2014, 05:55:04 PM »
I'll have to ask my dad.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #197 on: February 12, 2014, 02:42:56 PM »
That blows.

Well I got a call from the Mini dealer today. My water pump pulley assembly fell apart and my water pump was damaged in the process. So that all got replaced. So I've had two new water pumps installed in the last 7k miles.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 02:49:33 PM by Chino »

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #198 on: February 12, 2014, 03:23:54 PM »
Nah, keep burning rice (or better still kraut). Japanese sports cars are reasonably fast, reasonably agile and reasonably dependable. American muscle cars move up to stupidly fast at the expense of handling and reliability. Great for showing off at stoplights, but not much good for anything else (unless you're a dealership).

For the record, I wont discount the classic and now retro styling. Some of the throwback cars look really cool, and the new Camaros aren't bad. Americans muscle cars are just antithetical to everything I want in a car.

Well, it all comes down to trade offs really.  Practical cars are usually low maintenance.  High performance usually means higher maintenance depending on how you drive it.  My Civic has paid for itself many times over but I've done practical long enough.  For me, it's a question of what I want now and what I can fit into.  I'm tall and I gave up some leg room in the Honda.  Not many cars I can fit into comfortably.  American muscle cars are more like toys than anything else.  As far as handling goes, depends on the kind of package you get.  A regular Camaro SS is just a nice looking and fast cruiser.  If you want great handling, gotta get the 1LE performance upgrade.  I like the Dodge Challenger body style too except for the tail lights.  But the Camaro is just an all around great looking car.

Have you driven a 370z compared to a 350z? I'm curious because in high school I drove around in my dads 350 a few months while he was overseas. It was an awesome car but now that I'm 9 years older (good lord) the 350 and 370 didn't age well for me.

I haven't driven either to be honest.  Considering test driving a 370, but from what I've heard, they produce a lot of road noise and I'm not sure about the leg room either.  Only one way to find out for sure.

"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #199 on: February 12, 2014, 05:44:08 PM »
Nah, keep burning rice (or better still kraut). Japanese sports cars are reasonably fast, reasonably agile and reasonably dependable. American muscle cars move up to stupidly fast at the expense of handling and reliability. Great for showing off at stoplights, but not much good for anything else (unless you're a dealership).

For the record, I wont discount the classic and now retro styling. Some of the throwback cars look really cool, and the new Camaros aren't bad. Americans muscle cars are just antithetical to everything I want in a car.

Well, it all comes down to trade offs really.  Practical cars are usually low maintenance.  High performance usually means higher maintenance depending on how you drive it.  My Civic has paid for itself many times over but I've done practical long enough.  For me, it's a question of what I want now and what I can fit into.  I'm tall and I gave up some leg room in the Honda.  Not many cars I can fit into comfortably.  American muscle cars are more like toys than anything else.  As far as handling goes, depends on the kind of package you get.  A regular Camaro SS is just a nice looking and fast cruiser.  If you want great handling, gotta get the 1LE performance upgrade.  I like the Dodge Challenger body style too except for the tail lights.  But the Camaro is just an all around great looking car.
Just read up on the 1LE package and it looks like a damn fine value. If you were planning on keeping the car indefinitely, just the tranny cooler alone might be worth $4k. Better brakes, struts and sway bars will certainly improve the handling (although I don't know how much that's saying), and the better gearing will damn sure make it more fun to drive. Still not a fan of overpowered 2 ton behemoths, but for those who are into that sort of thing this looks like a fun ride.

And you should check out the Z. No experience with them myself since the 80's, buy my 280 was a great ride. Pretty good sized car and extraordinary handling (saved my life once).
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #200 on: February 13, 2014, 08:14:42 AM »
Yeah, my dad had a 79' 280Z 2+2.  Pretty cool car.  Lot's of leg room and very fast.  Got to drive it a couple times.   :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: February 13, 2014, 08:37:59 AM »
That blows.

Well I got a call from the Mini dealer today. My water pump pulley assembly fell apart and my water pump was damaged in the process. So that all got replaced. So I've had two new water pumps installed in the last 7k miles.

Did they assembly fall apart last time, too? I could see how you'd lose two so quickly with a bigger problem like that going unnoticed the first time.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #202 on: February 13, 2014, 10:51:54 AM »

That's cute.

That blows.

Did they assembly fall apart last time, too? I could see how you'd lose two so quickly with a bigger problem like that going unnoticed the first time.

As far as I know, no. My guess it that when everything was put back together the first time, something was done incorrectly.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #203 on: February 13, 2014, 11:18:25 AM »
The VW would be awesome if the engine stayed retracted until you need it. Sort of like the Subaru in Cannonball Run.
E.F. Benson

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #204 on: March 04, 2014, 02:13:35 PM »
I think this new release is pretty cool.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1090641_2015-jeep-renegade-is-the-new-baby-jeep-2014-geneva-motor-show

"Jeep is charting new waters with its 2015 Renegade, which takes the SUV brand into subcompact territory. The vehicle will also be built in Italy and imported to the U.S., which is another first for Jeep, but the good news is that the Renegade should live up to Jeep’s reputation for toughness and off-road prowess."

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #205 on: March 05, 2014, 01:01:08 PM »
So pothole season has taken its toll on my toyota matrix.  My girlfriend is the primary driver, and told me she hit a particularly nasty pothole a few weeks ago.  The next time she drove it, she noticed a loud periodic rumbling sound.  I then drove it and noticed there was a pretty serious shake to go along with it.  It wan't an alignment or wheel balance issue because it didn't always shake, and applying the brakes made it worse.  So i brought it to Pep Boys where they do free brake inspections.  They confirmed what I thought, and the brake calipers were "siezed", as they said.  They quoted me ~$700 for the repair, I bought the parts myself, tipped the guy who looked at it for free, and left.  The problem is that I live in an apartment, and need to bring it to a friend's house 35 miles and 2 bridge crossings away to do the repair.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #206 on: March 05, 2014, 01:12:30 PM »
The problem is that I live in an apartment, and need to bring it to a friend's house 35 miles and 2 bridge crossings away to do the repair.

I know it sucks, but I'd set an alarm for 3AM and hit the road at its emptiest. I've had to do that before.

Similar story. Two winters ago, I hit a pothole and blew one of my rims to pieces. After struggling for a half our to get the wheel off, I got the spare on and continued home. Three miles later, I hit another pothole and destroyed the spare I had just put on.  :tdwn
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 01:08:54 PM by Chino »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #207 on: March 05, 2014, 02:38:05 PM »
So pothole season has taken its toll on my toyota matrix.  My girlfriend is the primary driver, and told me she hit a particularly nasty pothole a few weeks ago.  The next time she drove it, she noticed a loud periodic rumbling sound.  I then drove it and noticed there was a pretty serious shake to go along with it.  It wan't an alignment or wheel balance issue because it didn't always shake, and applying the brakes made it worse.  So i brought it to Pep Boys where they do free brake inspections.  They confirmed what I thought, and the brake calipers were "siezed", as they said.  They quoted me ~$700 for the repair, I bought the parts myself, tipped the guy who looked at it for free, and left.  The problem is that I live in an apartment, and need to bring it to a friend's house 35 miles and 2 bridge crossings away to do the repair.
Did you actually confirm the brake caliper issue yourself? Not sure why a pothole would cause one to seize, or how a seizure would cause what you're describing. I could conjure up a few guesses, but seized caliper would be somewhat low on the list. Top of the list would be one of the many bushings that are in a car's front end.

For what it's worth, replacing brakes stuff is one of the few car repair jobs I enjoy. Just make sure you have the appropriate tools, including the stuff you don't think of. Some kind of mallet is crucial. Couple of cheater bars, as well. Caliper parts tend to work themselves in ridiculously tight.
E.F. Benson

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #208 on: March 06, 2014, 01:05:51 PM »
The mechanic said the wheel wouldn't rotate freely. Also, the night before I had it inspected, while at a stop light, the car wouldn't move under idle power and it sounded as if I was partially applying the brakes (the slipping sound you hear when there is just barely enough pressure on the pads to keep the car stopped).  I needed to apply power to get rolling.  It felt like I was dragging a sled, and my gas mileage was significantly lower during that time, too.

My observations combined with the mechanic telling me the wheels didn't turn freely confirmed for me that it's the brakes.  If it is an issue with bushings, then I will take that path once I make this repair.  For $200 in parts (calipers, rotors and pads), I wont be too bent out of shape if this isn't the complete answer.  She said she was on the brakes when she hit the pothole, so it seems reasonable that the impact could have transmitted to the brakes.

I don't mind doing brake jobs either, but the last time I replaced rotors, I had a real bitch of a time removing the caliper bracket bolts on one wheel, and couldn't change that rotor.  I used the longest breaker bar I could fit in the wheel well, and then an impact wrench.  I didn't have a torch available, which may have solved that problem.  Moot point, as that car got flooded a few months later during hurricane Sandy.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #209 on: March 06, 2014, 01:33:23 PM »
You're certainly describing a seized brake caliper. The problem I see is that a bump won't cause it to seize. Time certainly will and that's an easy enough fix (grease up the glide bolt, problem solved). If she hit the pothole hard enough to actually damage the caliper then you're going to find other trauma once you're down there. Since you've done caliper jobs before you know what they're built like. Imagine how much force it's going to take to bend one.  :lol

Helpful hint from Barto: Since your're driving to a friend's place to do the work, consider stopping off at a Pep Boys or NTW near your friends and have them loosen the caliper bolts (which are always a real bitch). They've got the tools to do it and they can hand tighten it enough to get you the final mile or two to your buddy's. They'll either charge you a few bucks, or nothing at all, in which case you throw the helpful grease monkey a fiver and consider yourself a fortunate lad. I've resorted to that after breaking some Craftsman tools on those seized up bastards.
E.F. Benson