Author Topic: Anything related to automobiles  (Read 100641 times)

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Anything related to automobiles
« Reply #105 on: September 25, 2012, 01:54:02 PM »
I work right across the freeway from where they're building those cars.  My company also supplies PV Inverters to SolarCity (though our inverters probably won't be used for this project). 

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #106 on: September 25, 2012, 08:04:35 PM »
Check engine light just came on, guy at the auto store said the code is for a bad crankshaft sensor. The car seems to run fine at the moment. Will I be okay driving it a week or so until I can get it replaced?
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #107 on: September 25, 2012, 08:06:31 PM »
Check engine light just came on, guy at the auto store said the code is for a bad crankshaft sensor. The car seems to run fine at the moment. Will I be okay driving it a week or so until I can get it replaced?

If all it is is a sensor, you'll be fine.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #108 on: September 25, 2012, 08:11:16 PM »

What's the likelihood of that, considering nothing sounds 'funny' or 'out of place?' Good?

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #109 on: September 25, 2012, 08:16:32 PM »

What's the likelihood of that, considering nothing sounds 'funny' or 'out of place?' Good?
Search your make and model plus your problem.  You'll probably find car forums with a board dedicated to it, you're not going to get a good answer here on the likelihood of a meaningless check engine light.  My car has a common problem with a faulty check engine light that goes with one other faulty light turning on, all I need to do is reset the computer module and it goes away.  It pops up every year or two, but if you don't read about common problems of your car you can spend lots of money chasing phantoms like that.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2012, 08:27:37 PM »

The crankshaft position sensor tells the computer that runs your engine how fast the motor's turning and what the position of the valves is.  With a faulty sensor the ECU gets bad info, and the engine doesn't run as well as it should.  If it's bad, and I have no reason to doubt the guy who pulled the code, then your car probably got a slight misfire, and might be hesitating under acceleration.  Both of which you might not notice if you're not looking for them.  Oh, and you'll probably notice a decrease in your mileage.  Regardless, get it fixed when you can, but don't panic over it.  Just don't turn out in front of somebody expecting to floor it and accelerate out of their way. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2012, 08:28:57 PM »
The sensor's 30 bucks. What's the labor cost on that kind of thing? If it makes a difference, the engine is the GM 3800 Series II in a 98 Park Avenue.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2012, 08:35:45 PM »
Not sure.  My guess is that in replacing that, they're going to expose a couple of other things that people like to replace at common intervals.  In my car, you don't replace the timing belt without also replacing the water pump (and vice versa) for example.  My guess is that the CPS is in the same area, so they might want to replace the water pump (cheap), and if your car has a timing belt, that as well.  My guess is two hours labor, but that really is just a guess. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tunnel Vision

« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2012, 09:18:41 PM »
My father is the president of a mustang/ford club in central PA. (He owns the Grabber Orange mustang in the 2nd and 3rd pics.)
Here are some pics from cruises recently:

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2012, 08:27:55 AM »
Here goes....

2003 Ford Windstar   115,000  miles

When I start the car it turns over fine, but when I shift into reverse it sounds like I have a big diesel engine. The noise continues after shifting into drive , but once the car gets moving 20 mph or more,  sound stops . I have noticed a loss of acceleration when going uphill or trying to pass on the highway. Every car forums seems to point at the transmission as going (and this particular model has a history of transmission failure at about 120,000 miles. I don't have a rainy day fund for repairs and a transmission job will likely run ($1200-$2000 my guestimate) the car only has a bluebook value listed as $3300 to $3700 according to Kelleys.

Can anyone else (barto) think of something it might be other than the tranny?

Only asking this again as my experience in the past  I've had mechanics actually cease my car (NJ law) if they determine the car is unsafe to drive....so its not as easy as taking it to multiple mechanics for their opinions

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2012, 09:03:12 AM »
Reminds me of the tire salesman telling Homer that he couldn't legally allow him to drive away without 4 new tires.   :lol

I believe we've already covered your transmission.  The noise is just a noise.  Yes, your transmission is probably failing, but there's nothing you can do about it and it still drives.  As for the loss of power, two possibilities.  It could be unrelated to the tranny.  Tons of things will cause a power loss under load.  Other option is that the tranny has gone into limp mode. When the computer detects an issue, it goes into a failsafe mode (limping home).  This usually locks it into 3rd or 4th gear.  Stuck in 4th, you'll have awful acceleration. 

As for finance, my suggestion would be to drive it until it explodes all over the interstate, then buy another car.  If you need a stop-gap option because it fails before you can upgrade, you can always by a junkyard transmission for about $500.  The cost for tranny jobs is almost entirely the insane cost of rebuilding an old unit.  Better to just buy one that didn't fail in the first place.  It's a crapshoot since you have no idea what condition it is, but it'll be guaranteed to work at first.  Usually they'll be fine.  They'll come from a car that was rear-ended, or better still, totaled because of hail damage or something.  They'll also have less than 75k on them.  Likelihood is that you'll get more years out of it than the rest of your car. 
E.F. Benson

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #116 on: December 11, 2012, 04:57:41 PM »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #117 on: December 11, 2012, 05:26:17 PM »
If I had the cash, I would buy that Smokey in the Bandit modded Camaro in a heartbeat.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: December 12, 2012, 05:48:59 AM »
The stingray is pretty nice but the rest is meh.

Damn I wish I made it to the auto show this past weekend :(

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #119 on: December 12, 2012, 06:34:44 AM »
I drive a 98 Park Avenue and the A/C is like a home thermostat. I pick a temperature and it blows hot or cold air until said temperature is reached. Anyone know if I can change this and just choose to blow warm or cold air until I feel like it? I'd rather not set it at 90 and let it go to town.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #120 on: December 12, 2012, 07:04:31 AM »
I drive a 98 Park Avenue and the A/C is like a home thermostat. I pick a temperature and it blows hot or cold air until said temperature is reached. Anyone know if I can change this and just choose to blow warm or cold air until I feel like it? I'd rather not set it at 90 and let it go to town.

Most cars have a button that says 'auto'. If you have that, turn it off.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #121 on: March 06, 2013, 04:02:06 PM »
Shown to the public a few days ago at an auto-show.

MINI John Cooper Works Countryman ALL4 Dakar Winner Edition

I want this NOW. The flat finish is pure sex.

The new John Copper Works Paceman is pretty awesome too.

The John Cooper Works GP edition hardtop is also pretty cool.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2013, 10:50:12 AM »
I have a question about car insurance. And bear with me, because I've always just kind of payed it without really thinking about all the logistics.

I'm 25 and have never had an accident. I drive a 98  4-cylinder Toyota corolla and my monthly insurance bill is $86.

Does that sound about right or is this higher then normal. What do you guys typically pay a month?

« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 12:01:59 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2013, 12:19:30 PM »
I drive a fully insured 2001 VW golf, I'm 26 and I only $67 a month. Fairly cheap insurance, my motorcycle insurance is much more.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2013, 12:25:24 PM »
I drive a fully insured 2001 VW golf, I'm 26 and I only $67 a month. Fairly cheap insurance, my motorcycle insurance is much more.

I'm actually glad you brought that up. How much is the insurance on the R6?

The quote I got for the SV650 was like $14 bucks a month so I was curious how much higher a super sport would be.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2013, 12:27:51 PM »
I'm 24 driving a fully covered 2013 Mini Cooper (non-turbo). I had a reckless driving charge of 122mph when I was 18, and received a failure to obey a sign at 21. I had my first accident last September and my car was totaled. It wasn't my fault though. I was parked at the bottom of an off-ramp and a guy's brakes failed on his pickup truck. I pay $118ish a month with a $1000 deductible.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2013, 12:28:16 PM »
It varies a lot by location. Living in a big city could easily add that $20/month. Off the top of my head, if that $86 is for a good policy with collision and a perk or two, that's about right. If it's just for the minimum required liability, you're getting hosed.

Something I recommend to everybody, find an agent you like, and who likes you. Insurance reps are one of those deals where a lifelong relationship is a damn fine thing. When I was 23, driving a sports car and racking up tickets weekly, most insurance agents would laugh at me. One guy recognized that I had 50 years of driving ahead of me and wanted to earn some loyalty, which he did in spades. I was heartbroken when he finally retired a few years ago. He'd go out of his way to look for discounts for me.
E.F. Benson

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2013, 03:33:35 PM »
I'm 21 and pay like $60/month for I'm pretty sure minimum on a 88 Olds Cutlass Ciera... I have 1 total which came out to no fault (if that's what it's called? They couldn't determine who as at fault)
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: March 20, 2013, 09:56:34 AM »
@ Barto.....I have a clean driving record for 25+ years and still pay $96 a month for the bare minimum state requirement here in NJ ( No Collision/No theft..just liability) Just had to add my 18 year old son and my annual premium jumped to $2800 for just the bare minimum..In NJ he has multiple things against him ( he's male...females are given a cheaper rate as the are deemed not as agressive and his age, he will be considered an at rick drive until he reaches 25 here in NJ)   Just think in another 18 months I get to add another son to my policy.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: March 21, 2013, 06:39:30 AM »

I'm actually glad you brought that up. How much is the insurance on the R6?

The quote I got for the SV650 was like $14 bucks a month so I was curious how much higher a super sport would be.

Full coverage (including $500,000 medical coverage) with $500 deductible on my 08 R6 is $124 a month. Not bad but again I'm 26 years old so I'm past the 25 mark, when I was younger and riding I was paying closer to $170 on my 94 CBR 600

So it's not crazy much but the medical coverage really kicks it up a notch. I don't want to be forever in debt if anything happens tho.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #130 on: March 21, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »
Mitsubishi Evo I got myself for Christmas already has 22,000 miles on it, I'm probably going to get rid of it this month or next. It's a very fun car and is a lot of fun on dirt roads. I still think the Mitsubishi Evo 5 I owned when living in Japan was more fun to drive though. Plus it had the steeringwheel on the proper side. The RIGHT side! :laugh: I think out of all the cars I've ever owned, my favorite is the Porsche 914/6 my uncle gave to me when I was 21. It's been in the family since new back in 1970. I just remember vaguely being about 4-5 years old and my uncle taking me for rides and cornering hard as he would try to brace me from sliding around in the seat with one hand and attempting to steer with the other, then quickly shifting. I'll never sell this thing.

The worst car I've ever owned was an old Rover 100 P4. What was great about it is you had to break about ten minutes in advance if you wanted to stop. Same with steering. If there was a turn coming up in about a half a mile, you had to start crankin the wheel a few dozen revolutions.

Porsche 914/6:

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #131 on: May 03, 2013, 03:04:49 PM »
I got to finally test out my roof rack today  :metal

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #132 on: May 03, 2013, 06:15:45 PM »
I can row a boat, canoe? :P

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: May 03, 2013, 08:19:12 PM »
Sweet! Can it hold only one kayak?

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #134 on: May 04, 2013, 04:37:50 AM »
It will hold two if you get the kayak mounts. They'd sit on their sides and lay bottom-to-bottom.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: May 04, 2013, 10:22:55 AM »
Sweet!

I need to get a paddle board mount for my car, then again I need to fix my car, sell it and get a new one. Now that the busy season is over I'll hopefully have time to do that.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: September 25, 2013, 02:01:03 PM »
okay more issues with my piece of junk

Had a full tune up done in Feb 2013 ( wires/coil pack/plugs etc....) car ran fine until a month ago...car started misfiring and check engine light came on...took it back and the coil pack was faulty...they replaced it since it was still under warranty....in the last 3 weeks they have had to replace the coil pack 2 more times

getting the following error codes p1246....altenator?
                                                     p0302/p0306/p0316  all related to misfires

could the altenator be causing an overload on the coil pack and causing it to continously fail?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #137 on: September 25, 2013, 02:53:53 PM »
This is strictly a guess, but I'm going to say no. The coil packs don't get their juice straight from the alternator. Something buffers it, and more importantly controls the timing. Probably the ECU controls the packs and dictates when they get power.

What I would suggest is that you have the alternator tested (elsewhere) and find out what's going on with it. Coil packs cause misfires. Faulty alternators/VRs cause you to break down on the side of I95. If it's bad, have it rebuilt or replaced. Most garages won't rebuild them, but you can find plenty of people who will do the job and it'll often save a few bucks.

As for the coil packs, if they're under warranty, let the guys who sold/installed them worry about it. They have more of an interest in solving the problem than you do. Maybe they got in a bad lot. If it's one cylinder that keeps failing, that's pretty intriguing and should offer a competent mechanic something to investigate. I'd have them check (or better still replace) the wire.
E.F. Benson

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: September 26, 2013, 10:05:27 AM »
p0302 and p0306 say its the second and sixth cylinder...since the coil pack configures to 2 cylinders 1-5,3-4,2-6  its defineatly occuring in the second and sixth cylinders ...they have already checked both cylinders as throughly as they are competent to do so and found nothing

I got into a heated exchange with the Service manager last time (Pep Boys) and told him, he shouldn't call his employees mechanics but rather techs..since all they seem to be able to do is pull a  code.  Told him REAL mechanics don't exist anymore, before cars became computerized a real mechanic could test drive or hell even listen to a noise and pin-point the problem, these guys seem to be clueless

Offline Octawakeimages

« Reply #139 on: September 26, 2013, 02:18:40 PM »
My father is the president of a mustang/ford club in central PA. (He owns the Grabber Orange mustang in the 2nd and 3rd pics.)
Here are some pics from cruises recently:

Very cool!!  I love cruises,  I have a 2003 Mustang Cobra.  That's a nice Grabber Orange!  Do you have one as well?   ;D  Was blasting DT12 on the way to work this morning!  :metal