Author Topic: Anything related to automobiles  (Read 100646 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Anything related to automobiles
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2012, 02:02:23 AM »
Well shit.. I wonder if they are going to continue the Rotary Engine.

also on an unrelated note... apparently Ford discontinued the Ranger...

I died a little when I read that.   
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2012, 02:10:12 AM »
Wait, fuel continues to be expensive and they discontine their smallest truck?

Sounds like they've gotten things backwards.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2012, 02:54:54 AM »
Well.. the market is apparently gone...  in 2011 they sold 55k in the US... compared to the 300k  a year sold in the mid nineties.  Look at Toyota and Nissan... the Tacoma and Frontier have grown from small to mid sized, and the GM compact pickups (s-10 and Sonoma) have been replaced with larger models.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2012, 03:15:36 AM »
So it's a case of people in general wanting bigger small trucks?

One would think that consumers would be seeking out small, more fuel-efficient autos, even in the trucks and land-yacht markets.   

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2012, 06:22:45 AM »
I drive an 02 Mitsubishi Gallant

How good or bad a car would you people say it is?

Also, I have a question for anyone able to answer:

Why did some of the Japanese companies stop regularly making sports cars like the Supra, Celica, RX-7, GT-3000, MR-2, S-2000, ect? 

It seem like Mitsubishi and Subaru are the only ones that even play up their 'sporty' image anymore, as far as I know. 

I had a 3000GT for a summer when I was younger and it was both awesome and terrible. Mitsubishi are notorious for valve issues, at least that's what my dad would tell me (he ran three shops and worked on mitsus regularly)

Some Japanese companies still do make sports cars that never make it to the States. As for Mitsubishi I believe they said a while back that they wanted almost their whole lineup to be fuel efficient hybrid cars. I'm upset they killed off the EVO :(

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2012, 06:49:19 AM »
Killing off the EVO?

That's a shame, right there!

I mean, I understand the value of cheap, small, fuel-efficient autos, but I see no reason why true sports cars shouldn't be offered when people want them.

I mean, for all the criticisms that can be made about sports cars, they're hella more harmless than SUVs.  And all those huge-ass cars of the late 60s and early 70s, there's no way a Lancer or Supra or something like that could be anywhere as awful at M's per G as those dinosaurs!   :P

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2012, 07:35:58 AM »
Yup EVO is gone :sadpanda:

I remember I sold my CBR600 to this that wanted to learn how to ride. She came over in an EVO 11 blonde, just beautiful, I figured it was her boyfriends car.

So she calls me and tells me she'll buy it but she can't ride so she asked if I could ride it to her house which I did. When I got there I talked to her, she was a single 28 year old biomedical engineer who was a bit of a gear head. She owned the EVO as well as an RX-7, and she turned a neon into a beater track car (roll cage, gutted interior). She took me back in the EVO and holy hell what an amazing ride that car was.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2012, 08:42:38 AM »
Well shit.. I wonder if they are going to continue the Rotary Engine.
It'll always exist as a niche market item.  They're still well suited for racing where people can wind them up to 10k.  I suspect a properly tuned racing Wankel would probably still have some power up there.  The commercial versions certainly didn't.  My experience was that the RX7 was a cool car with a needlessly weird engine.  Given the wear and tear on the apex seals, and the need to redline them on a regular basis to burn off carbon deposits, they're just not well suited to Joe Blow.

Mazda will continue to produce them just because the RX8/RENESIS platform is reasonably stable and people like it.  I suspect that if they were to suddenly put a standard piston engine in there, it'd lose it's uniqueness and be the end of the model. 

So it's a case of people in general wanting bigger small trucks?

One would think that consumers would be seeking out small, more fuel-efficient autos, even in the trucks and land-yacht markets.   
Not sure about the rest of the US, but I can tell you that down here in Superficialville, the shitty mileage is the whole point.  The wealthy tree huggers drive Priuses because that's what treehuggers do, and the wealthy conservatives drive H2's and Escallades to show everybody that they don't need to worry about gas prices.  Driving something smaller would suggest that you can't afford a bigger ride.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2012, 12:34:24 PM »
Drove an IKA Torino a little while back. what an amazing vehicle.

women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2012, 06:33:52 PM »
Has anybody ever owned or had any experience with Toyota Corollas?

There's a 2001 Toyota Corolla with 90,000 miles on it which I'm thinking about buying, but I feel kind of weary about the 90,000 miles.

From what I hear, these cars can go to well over 200,000 miles so I was just curious what you guys thought. They are asking $4900 for it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2012, 07:14:53 PM »
Most of the time it's the previous owners that are more important than the mileage.  A Toyota is pretty much expected to pass 200k by a long shot.  However, that doesn't mean that it'd be trouble free for those miles.  If it's been very well maintained then you should have no concerns about it.  If you don't get the feeling that it's owners have taken good care of it you should pass. 

I don't know what the market is for those things, but $4500 will buy a lot of cars, and I suspect you could do better than a corolla for that much. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2012, 07:21:49 PM »
I've had 2 Corolla's that lasted over 200,000 miles.  The only problem I had in the past is body rot.  My 2008 Corolla doesn't have that problem.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Fuzzboy

« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2012, 07:46:01 PM »
Has anybody ever owned or had any experience with Toyota Corollas?

There's a 2001 Toyota Corolla with 90,000 miles on it which I'm thinking about buying, but I feel kind of weary about the 90,000 miles.

From what I hear, these cars can go to well over 200,000 miles so I was just curious what you guys thought. They are asking $4900 for it.

basically what Barto said. If it's been maintained well, and you plan to do the same, expect it to last that long.
women cops are a joke

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2012, 07:55:41 PM »
Thanks guys.

I think I may just take some extra time and shop around a bit more. See it any else pops up.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2012, 07:52:38 PM »
Anyone has had some experiences with Honda/Acura Integra? There's this guy who's selling a '95 Integra for a reasonable price here. Looks good on the outside but I don't know about the aging of the car. In 3 years it will have 20!

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2012, 08:06:44 PM »
What kind of windshield wipers do you guys use on your car? I have Bosch Icon blades on in conjunction with some Rain-X Rain Repellent which actually works well
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2012, 09:28:44 PM »
What kind of windshield wipers do you guys use on your car? I have Bosch Icon blades on in conjunction with some Rain-X Rain Repellent which actually works well
Cheapest ones possible.  New blades work great no matter what the brand is, and 12 month old blades suck no matter what the brand is.  Better off buying three pairs of the Autozone wipers for less than a pair of Bosch. 

Rain X is great, if I can ever remember to apply it BEFORE IT RAINS.

Anyone has had some experiences with Honda/Acura Integra? There's this guy who's selling a '95 Integra for a reasonable price here. Looks good on the outside but I don't know about the aging of the car. In 3 years it will have 20!
Same answer as Phoenix's Corolla.  Depends on the previous owners.  I will say that 20's getting on up there for a car.  However, if it's a good car it's still fine.  I think my E30 was 22 when I retired it, but it really was about a corpse at that point.  What you have to keep in mind when dealing with old cars is that motors can last decades.  Any modern engine that's reasonably well maintained should get 2-300k pretty easily.  The rest of the car really starts to decline before then, though.  I'd probably still be driving that E30 except for a ton of little things started to catch up to it.  Seats were shot.  Paint was shot.  Half the dashboard didn't work.  Exhaust system was pretty much gone.  Rather than being undrivable it was just unpleasant and, more annoyingly uninspectable. 
E.F. Benson

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2012, 12:12:28 AM »
Might be picking up a 93 Stang next week for $2k.  Woot woot

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2012, 07:25:45 AM »
Just got an E46 M3. She's a beast. 
:xbones

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2012, 09:08:05 AM »
Does it have a clutch that you operate?
E.F. Benson

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2012, 09:13:20 AM »
Most definitely!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2012, 09:27:50 AM »
WTG.  True manuals are becoming scarce in American BMW's. 
E.F. Benson

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2012, 10:56:45 AM »

PICS!

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2012, 02:21:07 PM »
Thanks! Yeah, it's kind of sad. Mostly in the name of emissions, too, right?

I'll probably take more pics the next time I give it a good wash:

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2012, 02:36:32 PM »
I don't think emissions are a factor.  Americans just aren't interested in spirited driving anymore.  BMW's in particular have adapted to that.  Recall that 25 years ago they wouldn't even put cup holders in their cars because people should be driving and not drinking coffee.  Now they're mostly importing luxury cars and pseudo-sports cars for poseurs. 
E.F. Benson

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2012, 06:26:27 PM »
I came

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2012, 07:39:56 PM »
 :lol

You should see the inside. Put it in sport mode and every time I press down on the pedal...

Offline Fuzzboy

« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2012, 09:04:16 PM »
What does sport mode do in a manual car? Tighten up throttle response?
women cops are a joke

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2012, 09:19:21 PM »
It tinkers with the traction control, which has several modes, and it also adjusts the throttle mapping.  Rather than being a direct 1 to 1 ratio between pedal travel and engine acceleration, like older cars,  the pedal is mapped with an acceleration curve.  This is to make it easier to drive about town without peeling out at every light.  Sport mode undoes that mapping and gives you a (logically) more direct link to the accelerator.  Pedal equals go!

Graphs be here: https://forum.roadfly.com/threads/5972501-M3-sport-normal-throttle-mapping-pics-inside!

BTW, I had to research this too, as I asked the exact same question.
E.F. Benson

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2012, 07:50:00 AM »
Neat, thanks for that! It makes a lot more sense now.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2012, 09:51:39 AM »
E.F. Benson

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2012, 11:51:49 PM »
My car is dead, it won't make it past its next MOT, so I need a new one. Got no cash though so got my eye on a £800 little Nissan Micra, 40k miles on the clock and immaculate condition as it was owned by an old lady who died, in the meantime my friend is lending me his Mazda TS2 (how amazing is he?!) as I really DO need a car (I'm a pizza delivery person for one job, and the other requires either a 20 mile commute or £7 a day public transport).
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2012, 01:54:37 PM »
When buying a car from a dealer (a used car in this case) how much can they typically wiggle on the price? 

The sticker price on the car is $5700 and I would like to talk him down to like $5400. Is $300 off too much to ask for?

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2012, 02:36:38 PM »
When buying a car from a dealer (a used car in this case) how much can they typically wiggle on the price? 

The sticker price on the car is $5700 and I would like to talk him down to like $5400. Is $300 off too much to ask for?

No that's perfectly reasonable. Don't be afraid to walk away, when buying my golf I shot $1200 below sticker (it was a used price). Walked out, got a call 3 hours later and he sold it.

My car is dead, it won't make it past its next MOT, so I need a new one. Got no cash though so got my eye on a £800 little Nissan Micra, 40k miles on the clock and immaculate condition as it was owned by an old lady who died, in the meantime my friend is lending me his Mazda TS2 (how amazing is he?!) as I really DO need a car (I'm a pizza delivery person for one job, and the other requires either a 20 mile commute or £7 a day public transport).

Every time I visit the UK (going again in July w00t!) I'm blown away at how cheap good cars are. We need MOT over in Florida.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2012, 08:21:31 AM »

No that's perfectly reasonable. Don't be afraid to walk away, when buying my golf I shot $1200 below sticker (it was a used price). Walked out, got a call 3 hours later and he sold it.
Yeah, walking away from a salesman scares the bejeezus out of them.  Their powers from from always being the person in control.  If they think they're in charge and you suddenly get up and start walking out, it's a real shot to the kidneys. 

Anytime this comes up I post this:  https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/confessions-of-a-car-salesman.html
It was a series from Edmunds, where one of their writers went undercover working at two different car lots over a six month period.  He tells you all the tricks, and it's an amazingly useful read.  I think the four-square is a thing of the past, with that fair credit law and all, but it's still great intel.
E.F. Benson