Author Topic: Anything related to automobiles  (Read 103113 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Anything related to automobiles
« Reply #980 on: January 22, 2024, 07:03:52 AM »
Blockage is the first thing I thought, if an oil change "seemed" to solve the problem.  That explains why it gave you grief at stops (when oil pressure is lowest, thus hardest to overcome any impedances).  Add that to what Bart said, about the valves.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #981 on: January 22, 2024, 06:38:01 PM »
Been a couple days and everything appears okay, hopefully it was just something as simple as a blockage.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #982 on: February 01, 2024, 06:07:19 AM »
I've found myself looking for a new vehicle lately. There's nothing really wrong with mine, but I'm about to hit 140K on the odometer, and with my commute, that continues to climb at a good pace. I paid it off last June and have really liked not having a car payment, even though I've just been putting the equivalent in cash (and then some) in my safe every month.

I'm leaning toward buying a new CX-50 with the intention of keeping it for a decade, with no car payment for last four years. However, the dealer has a couple of loaners and demo models for sale. One in particular is really catching my eye. It's only got 7K miles on it. It's turbo'd and is pretty loaded. Out the door it's the same price as a new base model with heated seats and the 12 speaker Bose system. It also comes with 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, a two year warranty on everything else, and free roadside assistance for the first 72 months.   

Thoughts?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #983 on: February 01, 2024, 06:14:01 AM »
I like it. My neighbor and my buddy have CX-50 and have had nothing but positive things to say about and neither have had any issues. C&D has also continuously rated Mazda's interiors as some of the best for the class and after being in my buddies car I tend to agree. The interior fit and finish was better than my Porsche (when I had it).

Have you cross shopped anything else?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #984 on: February 01, 2024, 06:15:50 AM »
I'm not what you'd call a fan of crossovers, but that's a good looking car. I've never owned a Mazda, but I know a few people who swear by them. So, I think you'd do well with buying it.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #985 on: February 01, 2024, 06:34:33 AM »
I'm not what you'd call a fan of crossovers, but that's a good looking car. I've never owned a Mazda, but I know a few people who swear by them. So, I think you'd do well with buying it.

I like it. My neighbor and my buddy have CX-50 and have had nothing but positive things to say about and neither have had any issues. C&D has also continuously rated Mazda's interiors as some of the best for the class and after being in my buddies car I tend to agree. The interior fit and finish was better than my Porsche (when I had it).

Have you cross shopped anything else?

I haven't shopped around, honestly. I really like the Mazda brand, as well as the local dealership and their services, and I would like to stick with them. I put 110K miles on my Mazda3 5dr when I had it, and that was still running like a champ before I was nailed while stopped at the end of an exit ramp. And my current car, a 2014 Mazda CX-9, has only cost me $900 in non-maintenance related work in the 100K miles I've put on it. I'd love a CX-90, but a new one costs more than I'm willing to spend, and the used market is pretty sparse. I'm also sick of having shit gas mileage while needing to drive 300+ miles a week.

The used cx-50 I'm looking at is the Meridian Edition. It's pretty rad looking, imo. The one on the lot looks just like this, but it doesn't include that flat rack on top. It only has the rails.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #986 on: February 01, 2024, 06:37:44 AM »
Damn, that looks awesome! I haven't seen that trim around.

Having a good dealer is rare these days, or at least it feels like that in my neck of the woods. Are you going to miss the space of the CX-50?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #987 on: February 01, 2024, 06:52:21 AM »
Damn, that looks awesome! I haven't seen that trim around.

Having a good dealer is rare these days, or at least it feels like that in my neck of the woods. Are you going to miss the space of the CX-50?

The CX-9 you mean?

There will definitely be times, yeah. I probably wont be able to fit my smoker in the back of the CX-50, and 2X4s become a bit of an issue, but I should be able to strap those on the roof should I need to. However, my dad is actually in the market for an SUV beater for winter and spring gardening stuff. He's expressed interest in buying my CX-9. I really hope he decides to, because I'll still have access to it should I ever need a bigger vehicle for the day  :lol

I was really looking forward to the CX-70 unveil two days ago, thinking we'd get a sweet new vehicle smack dab in the middle of the 50 and 90, both in size and in price.   

Nope.   

The CX-70 is literally just the CX-90 with the third row deleted and the chrome trim painted black. They didn't announce the price, but I can't imagine it being any more than just $2000-$2500 cheaper. The base CX-70 is going to include some new tech that's not standard on the CX-90, so it's entirely possible they cost exactly the same once it releases. It seems like a dumb move.   

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #988 on: February 01, 2024, 06:55:15 AM »
Yup, sorry I meant CX-9.

Have you ever thought about getting a flatbed trailer? My stepdad got one years ago and he loves it.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #989 on: February 01, 2024, 07:05:23 AM »
Yup, sorry I meant CX-9.

Have you ever thought about getting a flatbed trailer? My stepdad got one years ago and he loves it.

I wouldn't be opposed to one, but that'd have to wait until I move. My current house/property couldn't accommodate one. 

I wouldn't mind something like this thing for my smokers though. Even on the CX-9, it'd be a hell of a lot easier than getting it in and out of the vehicle.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #990 on: February 01, 2024, 07:11:08 AM »
I bought a Subaru Outback Premium trim last month and I've been very pleased with it. They have a Wilderness trim which has some additional features like an 18" wheel base and water resistant seats I think? Now I don't do any camping or off road driving but I did see that it's very popular model for those activites. It also helped that the dealer I was working with were very good and helpful and suggested a car that fit my budget.

Mazda cars are nice too, I was thinking of the CX-9 as a possibility, I just never got round to it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #991 on: February 01, 2024, 08:06:41 AM »
Yup, sorry I meant CX-9.

I wouldn't be opposed to one, but that'd have to wait until I move. My current house/property couldn't accommodate one. 

I wouldn't mind something like this thing for my smokers though. Even on the CX-9, it'd be a hell of a lot easier than getting it in and out of the vehicle.

Oh that's nice! I always get nervous behind those :lol

I bought a Subaru Outback Premium trim last month and I've been very pleased with it. They have a Wilderness trim which has some additional features like an 18" wheel base and water resistant seats I think? Now I don't do any camping or off road driving but I did see that it's very popular model for those activites. It also helped that the dealer I was working with were very good and helpful and suggested a car that fit my budget.

Mazda cars are nice too, I was thinking of the CX-9 as a possibility, I just never got round to it.

That Subbie is a nice car, I see one in black from time to time and I always notice it.

I just saw that the M4 refreshe is coming 2025, I had an allocation for an 2024 but passed. Maybe a bad car decision is in my future :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #992 on: February 01, 2024, 12:20:59 PM »
Yup, sorry I meant CX-9.

I have one too; one of the best purchases I ever made ($500, cash, on Facebook Marketplace).

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #993 on: February 01, 2024, 01:59:00 PM »
Oh that's nice! I always get nervous behind those :lol

No kidding! Have to trust that the drive secured everything properly lol

And if they improve the battery range, my next vehicle will probably be the Subaru Solterra. Such a nice looking car
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #994 on: February 02, 2024, 10:26:06 AM »
Interesting thing going on right now with used cars. The focus is entirely on reliability at this point. You simply can't give away older BMWs right now, where traditionally they've been highly sought after because of their durability. My E46 with just under 100k five years ago was a bargain at 6500. Now I'm seeing newer models with similar mileage not selling for 3500. In the meantime, a ten year old Camry with 200k will fetch $8-9k if it's in good condition. A Tacoma can fetch that with 300-400k.

The problem is, and I've probably written about this before, when cars became super-expensive after the plague mechanics ran amok. They knew that nobody could afford to replace their cars, so they had a captive market and began exploiting the hell out of it. They're marking up aftermarket parts to dealer OEM prices. They're jacking up their labour rates (the only thing that seems warranted, really), and basing labour on either book time or practical time based on which is higher. No more applying diagnostics and estimates to the work done, which was common practice for years. You'll pay a couple of hundred to find out what the repair is going to cost now.

Sadly, I got caught up in all of this and I'm scrambling for one of those 10 year old Camrys. They're sought after for a reason. In the meantime my BMW is destined for the scrapyard simply because things that were repairable a few years ago are now massively cost prohibitive. I guess, uh, Fuck Yeah, Capitalism!!
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #995 on: February 02, 2024, 10:52:30 AM »
I was looking at 4-Runners after I paid off my car last year. Even models with 100K on the odometer are still commanding close to $30K. I couldn't believe it.

My mom, who's 69 and about to become a grandmother (not mine!), just bought a 2020 Z4 M40i. She told me she was going to the dealership to look at some cars, and I figured she'd be looking at X5s or something. She traded in her 2012 Z4 hardtop and the dealership gave her $12K for it. They listed it on their lot at $16,000, and after a month, they dropped it to $14,500. It's been a few weeks since that and it's still sitting there. Granted, we're in the middle of winter here, but still. She got rid of it for the reasons you said. It got to an age where any failure was a ridiculous repair bill. The motor that controlled the hardtop's retraction was starting to go, and something got a bit warped as a result. She was quoted something like $8000 to fix it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #996 on: February 02, 2024, 02:01:14 PM »
As a current owner of two BMWs (and a third in the yard that my stepson owns) it's all true, and sad, really, since those cars are eminently work-on-able.   

My car has heated seats; there is a short in the driver's side heater.  Three years ago, it was a $200 fix; pull off the leather seat cover, replace the pad, and you're done.  Now, through the dealer, they don't sell the pad standalone; you have to buy the entire seat structure, to the tune of $2,100.   I could go to a junk yard and get the pad - and I may still do that - but while I'll do anything mechanically on my cars there are some things I don't want to f- with and reupholstering the leather seats is one of them.  Rather a pro do that than me and have the seat covers flap and move forevermore (into the night).

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #997 on: February 02, 2024, 02:41:47 PM »
is a dodge viper a good car? i'm in the market and want to buy one
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #998 on: February 02, 2024, 02:46:11 PM »
As a general rule, no. However, each model year got a little more refined. The problem is that they're essentially track cars with headlights. There was zero refinement in the originals. No windows. No power steering. No AC. Nada. I actually just saw a video a few days ago about how awful the first models were.

Oh, and the hot gas from that cool looking side exhaust will burn the shit out of your legs when you get out.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #999 on: February 02, 2024, 03:03:36 PM »
As a current owner of two BMWs (and a third in the yard that my stepson owns) it's all true, and sad, really, since those cars are eminently work-on-able.   
Some things are certainly a snap to work on. Others can be a PITA. Every time I look under the hood of somebody else's car I'm amazed by how much room there is in there compared to mine. BMW engine bays are really cramped. I've changed plenty of water pumps out, but decided a few years ago to never do it again because it just sucks. Looking at the Accord I'm driving now I could replace damn near anything in there in less time that it takes just to get past the alternator in my E46.

At the same time, experience, a gnarly set of tools, and most importantly a lift makes it all so much easier, so shops don't really have that excuse. I could probably replace the water pump in mine in 3 hours if I really tried. Four tops. Four is what shops charge for it, though, and I guarantee they do it in 2. It bums me out because the plight of my E46 is really not the car's fault. It's just greedy-ass mechanics. Two years ago I'd be fixing the current problems. Hell, I had one shop quote me over a thousand to replace the expansion tank (before angrily deciding he didn't want to do business with me).  :lol

The heated seat thing is interesting. While I'm railing on mechanics I should probably bitch about BMW, too. They're doing everything they can to make their cars a "service" now. A few years back they decided they were going to make heated seats a "feature." Something like $25/mo and they'd be activated remotely. That's probably why they wouldn't sell you the heating element. BMW really just wants people to lease their cars now, and the only ones they're still making for drivers are the M cars.
E.F. Benson

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #1000 on: February 03, 2024, 07:59:17 AM »
Been mulling over getting an electric car. The whole eco-friendly vibe, not having to pay for gas, and trying out some cool tech sounds pretty sweet. Plus in my experience they are way nicer to drive. But, every time I hop online to check things out, it feels like most places are still all about gas cars. What gives?

Is it just about more choices, better prices, or maybe worries about where you'd charge an electric car that's keeping everyone stuck on gas? I'm genuinely curious why there's still such a strong lean towards the old-school gas guzzlers when electric seems like the future.

Keen to hear the thoughts here. What's holding you back from going electric, or if you've already made the switch, what sold you?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1001 on: February 03, 2024, 08:33:59 AM »
Sadly, I got caught up in all of this and I'm scrambling for one of those 10 year old Camrys. They're sought after for a reason. In the meantime my BMW is destined for the scrapyard simply because things that were repairable a few years ago are now massively cost prohibitive. I guess, uh, Fuck Yeah, Capitalism!!

I'm sad to hear that. I miss my e46, I've been keeping an eye on the used market and they typically fall into two categories; showroom BaT condition, or hasn't been serviced in 10 years. Ultimately any time I seriously consider buying one I remember the weekends I spent tearing into the engine bay of my old m3.

I was looking at 4-Runners after I paid off my car last year. Even models with 100K on the odometer are still commanding close to $30K. I couldn't believe it.

The 4Runner, Tacoma, and Subaru WRX market is absolutely wild. I mean I guess it makes sense with the 4Runner, it's the same car for 20+ years :lol

My mom, who's 69 and about to become a grandmother (not mine!), just bought a 2020 Z4 M40i

Nice! the B58 is an amazing engine (my m340i had the same engine).

It's a great car but couldn't be a daily driver (for me, one of the directors at my work dailies an ACR). My buddy had one and while it was fun to ride around in but after an hour in the car it felt like I spent an hour on my motorcycle. It's hot, loud, uncomfortable, and has no drivers aids. The plus is that the viper was always a parts bin special replacement parts can be easily had.

Keen to hear the thoughts here. What's holding you back from going electric, or if you've already made the switch, what sold you?

I'd love to have an ev as a daily but I don't have the space for another car, it just doesn't make sense as my primary car given how much I drive. While I do think that ev is most likely the future I think hybrid is probably the better option for now while the infrastructure for ev expands. I had a rental hybrid a few times and it was great, gas engine for long trips and scooting around on the electric motor in the city.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 08:39:03 AM by ReaperKK »

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #1002 on: February 03, 2024, 09:19:08 AM »
Ah, you know, I hadn't really thought about the differences between here in Northern Europe and the States until you mentioned the distances. We've got charging stations pretty much everywhere, which makes running an EV as your go-to a lot smoother. Plus, we're not usually hitting those long distances you guys deal with in the U.S. Makes me realize most resources I've been reading are probably written from a different position than I'll experience over here.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1003 on: February 04, 2024, 04:39:52 AM »
Welp, I'm getting a "new" car tomorrow. I was hoping to take it home yesterday, but there are too many moving pieces and third parties to deal with on a Saturday.

I ended up buying the CX-50 Meridian Edition with 7,000 miles on it, the one that was used for demos and loans. Negotiation on the car itself was basically non-existent, a first in the five cars I've purchased in my lifetime. The dealer had the original window sheet from when it was new, and the price on it was $44,600. They had it on the lot for $34,500K, and it was established very early on, before they even looked at my trade-in, that that price wasn't going to budge a dollar. It was a completely fair price (what I would have tried to get had it been priced higher), and after some hemin' and hawin', did manage to get an extra $1200 on my trade.

Because it's a certified pre-owned, the bumper-to-bumper warranty is extended out to 4Y/48K miles, and the powertrain warranty is good for 7Y/100K miles. That's more than I originally thought, so I'm happy there.

The only thing I'm a bit bummed about is it's got the base 8 speaker sound system instead of the 12 speaker Bose. I hope in the future I don't find myself wanting. Turns out it did come with the platform on top. The initial pics on the website showed it without it.

The thing drives like hell, too. I'm going to be tinting the front windows and blacking out all the badges on the back immediately.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 07:44:33 AM by Chino »

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1004 on: February 04, 2024, 07:25:36 AM »
Really nice looking vehicle!  I look at car porn a lot, but the prices are a lot higher since we bought my wife’s mini van in 2013.  The van has 128k miles  on it and my 2007 Honda Ridgeline has 107k miles.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1005 on: February 04, 2024, 07:27:15 AM »
That look great! Congrats! I paid that much for my Outback new, and I too kinda regret not getting the higher end speaker system. Subaru's have Harman Kardon and I'm sure it would sound a lot better than the basic setup I have now. It sounds like ass when connected via Android Auto. Slightly better when I connect direct via bluetooth. I do have to try how it will sound with direct analog as it has an aux input.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1006 on: February 04, 2024, 08:04:43 AM »
Congrats Chino! :tup that is a fantastic looking car.

As for the sound if you really want I'm sure you can upgrade to some aftermarket speakers. You can always bring back the trend of putting 2x12 subs in the back :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1007 on: February 05, 2024, 06:10:25 AM »
Thanks all!

As for the sound if you really want I'm sure you can upgrade to some aftermarket speakers. You can always bring back the trend of putting 2x12 subs in the back :lol

:rollin My mom and dad were doing some cleaning at their house two weeks ago, and my dad called me asking if I wanted my old system. I completely forgot it it was in their attic. It's two Alpine Type-Rs with an 800W amp mounted to the box. I used to have that in my Passat and it took up half the trunk  :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1008 on: February 05, 2024, 06:51:29 AM »

Bring back? Please visit NY and tell me that ever left  :lol

Congrats Chino, that is a sexy looking car  :metal How much are you allow to tint your windows before is considered too much? I wanted to tint mine and decided to leave it alone.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1009 on: February 05, 2024, 07:10:07 AM »

Bring back? Please visit NY and tell me that ever left  :lol

Congrats Chino, that is a sexy looking car  :metal How much are you allow to tint your windows before is considered too much? I wanted to tint mine and decided to leave it alone.

That varies by state. Where I live, you're not supposed to go lower than 35%. I've put 20% on every car I've had tinted, and it's never been an issue, both during pullovers and at spot checks. The place that I go to just requires you to pay in cash if you're going below the legal limit.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1010 on: February 05, 2024, 08:53:27 AM »
Nice, I should probably look into it at some point.

I always find it interesting where car makers put the cup holders in the center console. I find then to be in an uncomfortable spot in my Crosstrek. I guess my one complaint about my car would be cupholder placement, and lack of automatic lift gate.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1011 on: February 05, 2024, 09:53:27 AM »
Nice, I should probably look into it at some point.

I always find it interesting where car makers put the cup holders in the center console. I find then to be in an uncomfortable spot in my Crosstrek. I guess my one complaint about my car would be cupholder placement, and lack of automatic lift gate.

That's a worry of mine in the car I just bought. The holders are in front of the shifter rather than behind. When in park, it might be a pain in the ass to get a bottle in and out.

I can't complain too much either way, though. These were the cup holders in my VW Passat (B5 gen)  :lol They couldn't hold much, and if you needed to plug something into the cigarette outlet, you couldn't have them out because the tray door would need to be open.

Somebody once told me that Europeans don't typically (this was 20 years ago) drink things while driving. They don't bring a 20oz coffee on the road with them on the way to work. So many cars were designed without cup holders as a priority, and they'd come up with things like what's pictured above for the US market.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1012 on: February 05, 2024, 10:16:05 AM »
My wife's BMW has one that comes out of the dash on the passenger side.  Which means if you leave it out, and someone climbs into the passenger seat and either doesn't look or doesn't know it's there, your cup holder is a pile of twisted plastic on the floor of the passenger side of the car. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1013 on: February 05, 2024, 10:20:25 AM »
My wife's BMW has one that comes out of the dash on the passenger side.  Which means if you leave it out, and someone climbs into the passenger seat and either doesn't look or doesn't know it's there, your cup holder is a pile of twisted plastic on the floor of the passenger side of the car.

"That'll be $460 for a new one" - BMW probably  :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: February 05, 2024, 11:18:31 AM »
My last car had the worst cup holders of any car I've ever been in. May I present the porsche 718 cupholders (not my pic but interior was the same):