Author Topic: Anything related to automobiles  (Read 102274 times)

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Anything related to automobiles
« Reply #875 on: July 16, 2020, 06:15:00 AM »
The Focus was really hit or miss IMO. The ST and RS trim's were pretty nice for what they were just overpriced. My buddy has a ST and it's a lot of fun to drive but the interior is ridiculously cheap. There is a decent following for the RS trim even with paper-mache head gaskets.

I'll say this for Ford, their dealerships are some of the most delusional people around. When I was considering a mustang a few years ago the markups they had on their cars was laughable. There was a GT350 that sat in the showroom for close to 3 years at 100k. When I was bored I'd go cruise around the dealers and whenever I'd get to ford there was that gt350 sitting in the corner.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #876 on: July 31, 2020, 02:19:44 PM »
I'm in love with this thing.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #877 on: August 02, 2020, 07:48:39 PM »
WANT
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #878 on: October 21, 2020, 06:00:38 AM »
Anyone watch the new Hummer reveal yesterday?

https://www.gmc.com/electric-truck/hummer-ev

Engineering explained did a deeper dive here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkM0L4_W_pM

I think it's a cool looking truck, $112k is a lot of money but Hummers were never cheap and I think this can be viewed as a halo truck for them.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #879 on: October 21, 2020, 06:15:32 AM »
Anyone watch the new Hummer reveal yesterday?

https://www.gmc.com/electric-truck/hummer-ev

Engineering explained did a deeper dive here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkM0L4_W_pM

I think it's a cool looking truck, $112k is a lot of money but Hummers were never cheap and I think this can be viewed as a halo truck for them.

Is this the one that's being built as a limited run?

I thing the Hummer will see a resurgence once EVs are the norm. It's the perfect platform for brute force.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #880 on: November 17, 2020, 01:35:23 PM »
Well, the Model Y timeline has been accelerated a little bit...

Back on Oct. 22 we left on a trip to Massachusetts, the first really nice road trip for my Model 3. Didn't even get halfway through NJ (leaving from Eastern PA) when a guy lost control (he said he sneezed), went over the left shoulder into the left rail, and then bounced back across that shoulder and two more lanes to plow into us in the right lane, driving us into the right rail.

Got the news on Oct. 28 that the car was totaled. Finished off my Model Y order that same night, and today I received my VIN, and so should hopefully soon be hearing from Tesla about scheduling delivery.

Managed to keep my wits about me on the two major financial decisions with the car.
-Went with Long Range AWD as opposed to performance. (8k saved)
-Stayed with basic autopilot and didn't get full-self driving. (8k saved)

That being said, I will likely cut into that 16k I didn't spend with a couple of things.
-Got midnight silver metallic paint for 1k
-Got factory tow hitch for 1k
-Will almost certainly get the acceleration boost for 2k (cuts 0-60 from 4.8 to 4.2 seconds)
-Assuming it is offered to me at some point, will likely get enhanced auto pilot for 5k

Now I'm just anxiously awaiting the call to schedule delivery, but am VERY much looking forward to getting back into a car I love.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #881 on: November 21, 2020, 07:33:48 AM »
That's awesome news Nick. Make sure to post pics once you get it.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #882 on: November 21, 2020, 04:47:31 PM »
That's awesome news Nick. Make sure to post pics once you get it.

Will certainly do. Officially my delivery date is Dec. 2 now.

Talked to the service center and we're hopeful I'll actually get in on Nov. 28 or 30.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #883 on: April 06, 2021, 09:17:40 AM »
bump to post this:

https://driving.bmwusa.com/?token=eExclusive&bid=210276498&nspid=5d7b9adcbe1c629ec722529dd12e5129&mi_u=d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e&mi_ecmp=101021040511011

If anyone is interesting in driving some cars around with 0 hassle of buying one sign up. I'm doing the Raleigh event with my wife. BMW does event's like these throughout the year and doing the M car one a couple years ago is what got me to buy my current car.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #884 on: April 06, 2021, 09:36:54 AM »
I just sent that link to my stepson (his current car is a '93 M3 that is SWEEEET).   We can go to Mass or NY, fairly easily. 

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #885 on: April 06, 2021, 09:38:22 AM »
It's a lot of fun. After getting rid of my e46 m3 I swore I'd never get another BMW again but after driving one at one of these events I picked up a new m340 last July :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #886 on: April 06, 2021, 11:27:06 AM »
My mechanics often get recruited as driving coaches for these things, so I should probably sign up for one some day. However, it's kind of likely I'm traveling when they have the Dallas event.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #887 on: May 21, 2021, 07:34:00 AM »
0-60mph in 1.1 seconds  :hat :eek

It’s now official. The next-generation Tesla Roadster, when fitted with its SpaceX Package, would be capable of sprinting from 0-60 mph in 1.1 seconds. This insane piece of information was confirmed recently by CEO Elon Musk on Twitter.

Visitors of the next-generation Tesla Roadster exhibit at the Petersen Auto Museum observed something interesting in the vehicle’s information panel. According to the museum’s plaque for the all-electric supercar, the next-generation Roadster, when fitted with cold gas thrusters, would be able to accelerate from a standstill to 60 mph in just 1.1 seconds.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-roadster-1-sec-0-60-mph-confirmed-elon-musk/

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #888 on: May 21, 2021, 08:27:04 AM »
Time to invest in Michelin. Thousand dollar proprietary tires are going to selling like crack.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #889 on: May 21, 2021, 08:39:38 AM »
I saw that this morning and I'll be more impressed if Tesla can get their quality control in order or workout their self-driving option that was charged but has yet to be implemented.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #890 on: June 19, 2021, 02:08:13 PM »
Was Top Gear right about the Toyota Hilux being indestructible, well this redneck is putting it to the test.  :lol He's seems kinda douchy but some of the tests are hilarious and interesting.

Toyota Hilux Durability Test #1
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #891 on: June 21, 2021, 06:51:53 AM »
Was Top Gear right about the Toyota Hilux being indestructible, well this redneck is putting it to the test.  :lol He's seems kinda douchy but some of the tests are hilarious and interesting.

Toyota Hilux Durability Test #1

I'm definitely watching that later! Thanks for posting

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #892 on: June 21, 2021, 06:56:41 AM »
This thing is an engineering work of art. This is the new powerplant of that Tesla Model S Plaid edition. Single speed with 1020 horsepower, and it will get you to 60 in two seconds. I'm wondering what the future of drag racing is going to look like. Would love to see four of these mounted in a top fuel machine to see what they could do.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #893 on: June 25, 2021, 11:46:59 PM »
Wouldn't be surprised if it becomes it's own category like Formula E since I don't think electric and gas can ever co-exist.
I'm wondering if the gforces and the human body becomes the limiting factor in e-sport eventually?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #894 on: July 17, 2021, 02:53:24 PM »
Koenigsegg Jesko in action. Sry for the lack of english text but I thought you might enjoy just seeing it or rather hearing it, the sound is just amazing. It's also cool as a swede to have a car like this spawn from my little country. Btw that's actor Mikael Persbrandt sitting in the passenger seat. Driving starts at 7:40.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #895 on: July 17, 2021, 08:10:44 PM »
Awesome video, I love all things Koenigsegg since first seeing the CCX on Top Gear. One of the highlights was seeing one at the miami car show years ago. There is some brilliant engineering happening in the Koenigsegg vehicles.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #896 on: July 18, 2021, 01:33:57 AM »
Yea totally agree, if i'm not mistaken everything in the car from screws to engine is made by themselfs and not bought.
That way the have the option to tweak and improve things however they want.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #897 on: July 28, 2021, 10:53:07 AM »
I pulled the trigger on a used 2017 BMW 330i with the M package. Had 32k miles on it. We'll see how it goes with repairs and trouble but so far the car drives like heaven. I'm enjoying it a lot. Used to drive a 2014 VW Jetta 1.8T but it started burning oil like crazy. Had 132k miles on it. I was pouring 2qts of oil every 3k miles, which is absolutely nuts. I figured by the cost it would take to fix that, plus the next major service (transmission fluid), throttle valve replacement, and the current used value (which was a bit higher than last year), I would be better off getting something newer (hence the upgrade lol).

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #898 on: July 28, 2021, 11:35:47 AM »
I pulled the trigger on a used 2017 BMW 330i with the M package. Had 32k miles on it. We'll see how it goes with repairs and trouble but so far the car drives like heaven. I'm enjoying it a lot. Used to drive a 2014 VW Jetta 1.8T but it started burning oil like crazy. Had 132k miles on it. I was pouring 2qts of oil every 3k miles, which is absolutely nuts. I figured by the cost it would take to fix that, plus the next major service (transmission fluid), throttle valve replacement, and the current used value (which was a bit higher than last year), I would be better off getting something newer (hence the upgrade lol).
The BMW won't start burning oil for another 300k. The motor is bulletproof so long as you never let it overheat¹. The rest of the car will fail long before then. Honestly, my BMWs have been the cheapest cars to operate I've owned, and the youngest I've bought was 70k. I drove my first two up to 230k. My current one has 140k and is doing fine. That said, I think I'm probably done with them. At the very least the e90 will be the end of the road for me. From my perspective they seem to have lost their way of late.

Enjoy your car. 3-series handling is one of the great pleasures in life, if you ask me.

¹even if you do overheat it you'll just blow the head gasket, but that's one of the few repairs that will typically exceed the value of the rest of the car. Probably the number one killer of BMWs.
E.F. Benson

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: July 28, 2021, 11:43:14 AM »

As a fellow BMW owner congrats! I love the 330i especially that generation!

The BMW won't start burning oil for another 300k. The motor is bulletproof so long as you never let it overheat¹. The rest of the car will fail long before then. Honestly, my BMWs have been the cheapest cars to operate I've owned, and the youngest I've bought was 70k. I drove my first two up to 230k. My current one has 140k and is doing fine. That said, I think I'm probably done with them. At the very least the e90 will be the end of the road for me. From my perspective they seem to have lost their way of late.

Enjoy your car. 3-series handling is one of the great pleasures in life, if you ask me.

¹even if you do overheat it you'll just blow the head gasket, but that's one of the few repairs that will typically exceed the value of the rest of the car. Probably the number one killer of BMWs.

Barto is right, the engine is bullet-proof but the electrical gremlins I had were a nightmare with my old BMW.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #900 on: July 28, 2021, 11:50:27 AM »

Barto is right, the engine is bullet-proof but the electrical gremlins I had were a nightmare with my old BMW.
Trying to think of any electrical gremlins I've had, and aside from the taillights (which were a recall item), I don't recall any. Voltage regulator failed and took out a couple of batteries, but that's really an all cars issue. If you go back as far as I do, you probably recall the dashboard battery that would leak acid over the instruments in the e30. (I'm sure Stadler does) Really, though, electrical problems haven't bugged me.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #901 on: July 28, 2021, 12:51:59 PM »
HAHA.  I do remember; I didn't have that specific problem, but I remember it.

Electrical gremlins are a problem for many cars, though.   My Volvo S60 that I drove for a decade... the one problem was electrical bullcrap.  I went through taillight bulbs like Tootsie Rolls at a Memorial Day Parade.  Or picks at a Yngwie concert.

I have an X3 that has zero electrical (though I had to replace the grounding straps) issues, and a 2013 535 that is fine except when you plug a phone into the center console USB port (but that's a known issue).  Both those cars drive like angels.  The 5 is probably the best driving car I've ever owned, frankly.  It's right at the cusp of where it gets un-fun, though, because it's just too complicated for it's own good.  Even that car is so far beyond gas/air/spark --> gears --> rubber --> road that it's not funny - not FUN - anymore.  I don't know if that's what El Barto means by lost way, but that's what it means to me. (Though I got an X1 as a loaner about two years ago and it was a piece of crap).

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #902 on: July 28, 2021, 01:13:44 PM »

Electrical gremlins are a problem for many cars, though.   My Volvo S60 that I drove for a decade... the one problem was electrical bullcrap.  I went through taillight bulbs like Tootsie Rolls at a Memorial Day Parade.  Or picks at a Yngwie concert.

I have an X3 that has zero electrical (though I had to replace the grounding straps) issues, and a 2013 535 that is fine except when you plug a phone into the center console USB port (but that's a known issue).  Both those cars drive like angels.  The 5 is probably the best driving car I've ever owned, frankly.  It's right at the cusp of where it gets un-fun, though, because it's just too complicated for it's own good.  Even that car is so far beyond gas/air/spark --> gears --> rubber --> road that it's not funny - not FUN - anymore.  I don't know if that's what El Barto means by lost way, but that's what it means to me. (Though I got an X1 as a loaner about two years ago and it was a piece of crap).
I've gotten a couple of entry-level 3's as loaners and they were total garbage. I actually had the wind blow one of the doors out of my hand, and that really offended me.  :lol

And yeah, that's basically where I'm coming from. BMW used to make cars for drivers. Now they make cars for college kids. I've owned an e30, e36, and an e46. I've driven a loaner e90 M3, and a few various F series (seriously, F? Now they're Fords?). The trend towards removing the driver from the car has been stark. That e90 M3 is the only reason I'm not drawing the line at the E46 (it really was a hoot, though not an ideal daily driver).
E.F. Benson

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #903 on: July 28, 2021, 02:09:30 PM »

Trying to think of any electrical gremlins I've had, and aside from the taillights (which were a recall item), I don't recall any. Voltage regulator failed and took out a couple of batteries, but that's really an all cars issue. If you go back as far as I do, you probably recall the dashboard battery that would leak acid over the instruments in the e30. (I'm sure Stadler does) Really, though, electrical problems haven't bugged me.

I had a bunch of electrical issues, one big one was that the wiring in the trunk connecting to the cd player had a faulty connection which caused all may gauges on my dash to flip out, like it they all pegged at the max rpm/speed/gas/temp. My biggest issue though was a constant oil filter gasket leaks, I replaced that gasket 3 times in my entire ownership of the car.

I've gotten a couple of entry-level 3's as loaners and they were total garbage. I actually had the wind blow one of the doors out of my hand, and that really offended me.  :lol

And yeah, that's basically where I'm coming from. BMW used to make cars for drivers. Now they make cars for college kids. I've owned an e30, e36, and an e46. I've driven a loaner e90 M3, and a few various F series (seriously, F? Now they're Fords?). The trend towards removing the driver from the car has been stark. That e90 M3 is the only reason I'm not drawing the line at the E46 (it really was a hoot, though not an ideal daily driver).

I agree with you but I think the G series is a return to for. I'm biased because I have a new m340 but they really are fantastic cars and having driven the new M3 a few weeks back I'm convinced that is going to be my next car (unless I get a big promotion where I can finally hop into a 911).

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #904 on: July 28, 2021, 02:39:00 PM »
I had a bunch of electrical issues, one big one was that the wiring in the trunk connecting to the cd player had a faulty connection which caused all may gauges on my dash to flip out, like it they all pegged at the max rpm/speed/gas/temp. My biggest issue though was a constant oil filter gasket leaks, I replaced that gasket 3 times in my entire ownership of the car.
I had to replace one in my e36. It was annoying but not nightmarish. I'm guessing it's probably a lot harder to do nowadays. My saving grace is that I'd replaced the alternator a couple of weeks earlier, so I had that thing off in five minutes to tackle the gasket.

I agree with you but I think the G series is a return to for. I'm biased because I have a new m340 but they really are fantastic cars and having driven the new M3 a few weeks back I'm convinced that is going to be my next car (unless I get a big promotion where I can finally hop into a 911).
After 15+ years of driving a BMW I'm pretty sure I'd total a 911 inside of a month. BMWs are easy to drive. They reward skill and forgive all but the most egregious mistakes. Rear engine Porsches demand skill and punish failure. 
E.F. Benson

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #905 on: July 28, 2021, 02:59:07 PM »
No argument from me there, the traction control in the new BMW's is truly something else, they let you get away with enough to let you believe that you are a great driver when it's the car doing the heavy lifting.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #906 on: August 19, 2021, 08:42:59 AM »
I'm certainly biased as I owned one myself, but I think pretty much everybody can agree that when it comes to really stylish cars the first Z cars are high up in the pantheon. Truly iconic design. Always damn good looking cars. I'm not sure what exactly Nissan was going for with the newest iteration, but this damn sure isn't stylish. It's about as generic as it gets. You see a 240 (60 or 80) and you know exactly what it is. You see this and you just think "typical Japanese sports car." This certainly doesn't make me think Z car. Honestly, this whole modern-retro thing has been played out.

E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #907 on: August 19, 2021, 08:46:38 AM »
That bottom pic gives me a bo...  is very exciting, let's leave it at that.   Mine was a '78 280Z, 2+2 (it had the backseat; which anyone over the age of 12 couldn't get in or out of) but it was that exact same color, with a black interior.  I LOVED that car.  I've been looking, but they are almost exclusively a) wildly overpriced and b) butchered with small block Detroit engines, a wholly unnecessary modification. 

EDIT:  Not at all interested in the new one.   They basically lost me for good when they made the 280ZX into a quasi-sedan in a coupe body.   :tdwn

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #908 on: August 19, 2021, 08:47:16 AM »
I've been reading some of the release info on the new Z over the past couple of days and I'm intrigued. Nissan has really been floundering the past few years so I'd really like to see them hit this car out of the park

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #909 on: August 19, 2021, 08:54:56 AM »
It'll probably be a fine car. I appreciate that they're offering it in a stick. That might be the best callback to the original they can add. It just seems gimmicky to me to simply add a couple of artificial throwback references and call it a Z car.
E.F. Benson