Author Topic: Anything related to automobiles  (Read 100479 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Anything related to automobiles
« Reply #770 on: September 18, 2019, 08:53:04 AM »
I JUST now pulled up images of the mid engine Vette...

I like it. It's to extreme looking or anything. It still looks very much like a Corvette. I'd totally stick my penis in it love to check one out one day. Dude at work is obsessed with Vettes and is going to be getting one as soon as possible. I'm sure he'd take me for a spin in it if I asked.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #771 on: September 18, 2019, 09:03:30 AM »
Here's the Odyssey of the Nissan Sentra. Wall of text, sorry.

I graduated high school in 2009; right before graduation, my buddy Kyle wrecked his car, a 2002 Nissan Sentra GXE. 41,900 miles on it. He did a number on it, and it was brought to our body shop, where we rebuilt the entire right side... and then it just sat out back for 6 years until I bought it off my old man. So, it's 2015, a 14 year old car, but only 42k miles on it. Dope. No problems with it, other than my brother forgetting to tighten the lug nuts after doing some work on it. That made for a very shaky ride that night  :lol

Fast forward to a couple months ago, 4 years later. Car had a crank shaft sensor put in because it refused to start one day, okay, cool. Right around the start of July it started dying randomly. No rhyme or reason. It would usually fire right back up if I cranked it, sometimes I'd have to wait a minute. Scanned it, tells me the O2 sensor is the problem. Interesting... A few weeks later I get ready to leave for work and I notice something under the car. The whole exhaust system rusted out and FELL OFF! Had it towed and the exhaust system fixed. Cool.

Move up to 2 weeks ago, a few hours before I had to hit the road for ProgPower: filled my coolant reservoir, pulled it outside the shop and locked it up, ready to go... oh shit, car's overheating. Call my old man and we take a look at it, can't figure it out, suddenly the AC isn't blowing cold air anymore. Charge the AC, realize the thermostat is stuck, so we replace the thermostat after getting coolant all over the damn place. AC's blowing cold air, car isn't overheating, hooray! Get it back home aaaand the AC is blowing hot air, and that hot ass air from the engine is blowing right on me. Swell.

On the way to St. Louis (from which we'd travel with another friend in his big fancy truck), about an hour outside of the city, the RPM gauge drops to 0. Lights don't come on for another 5-10 seconds. Pull over and fire it back up, a fuse blew and I have no dash lights. Have to drive in the dark with my phone lighting the instrumental panel so I can see my speed and make sure I'm still not overheating.

A week later, get in the car and start driving back from St. Louis and the car dies every 5 minutes on the freeway. Does this about 8-9 times in a row, eventually dying only every 20 minutes, then 30, and then eventually it stopped (and still has not died since then). Pretty sure the crank shaft sensor is messing up after talking to the guys who put it in the first time. Only this time I blew more fuses and didn't have any tail lights or brake lights. So I drove home 2 hours in the middle of the night with no lights, didn't encounter a single cop until I got back into my hometown. Pulled over. Thought I threw in my car's insurance card - somehow I grabbed the card from 2017 (wtf!?) and not 2019. GREAT. Cop lets me off with a light warning and tells me to get it fixed ASAP but gave me a ticket for not being able to pull up exact proof of insurance, so I have to go to the courthouse with my insurance card to get it wiped clean. Got off really easy tbh.

And now I'm pretty sure the backing plates for the front wheels are all jacked up because there is a lot of noise coming from that end now and I'm sure it's not the wheel bearings.  :facepalm:  :lol

Oh, and did I mention when the cop pulled me over, my registration was expired? Because I stupidly put off getting the sticker until the Monday I left for ProgPower, except I realized 1) the DMV is closed on Mondays, and 2) Monday was a federal holiday anyway.

Of course I'd have no problems with the damn car until right before a big road trip when money is tight. I'm considering selling this fucker but it's only got 75k miles on it which is nuts, and I don't want another car payment for some time. This thing was a steal and it's been awesome but the last couple months have been a nightmare.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #772 on: September 18, 2019, 01:20:29 PM »
You test the current from the alternator? Also, why would an o2 sensor cause the car to die?

IIRC, yours is a body shop, so I assume y'all would have been all over it if it were the case, but it sounds like the car had been flooded at some point.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #773 on: September 18, 2019, 01:50:03 PM »
An O2 Sensor shouldn't cause a car of that year to die in and of itself (unless there is a wicked short somewhere, but you'd see other problems; a later model car could be, because the O2 sensor is more likely feeding data to a computer that has more control over the car and is more finely tuned, and that could be wrecking havoc).  What's likely happening is that there's something wrong with the fuel supply - pump, blocked injectors, something like that - the spark timing, or a valve problem, and the "bad O2 sensor" is a second symptom of the problem along with the car dying.  You therefore answered your own problem: the bad crankshaft sensor could result in poor/mistimed firing in the cylinder, and causing the O2 sensor to trip as well as the stalling.

I've never changed one myself, so you're on your own with that side of the equation.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #774 on: September 18, 2019, 03:32:09 PM »
An O2 Sensor shouldn't cause a car of that year to die in and of itself (unless there is a wicked short somewhere, but you'd see other problems; a later model car could be, because the O2 sensor is more likely feeding data to a computer that has more control over the car and is more finely tuned, and that could be wrecking havoc).  What's likely happening is that there's something wrong with the fuel supply - pump, blocked injectors, something like that - the spark timing, or a valve problem, and the "bad O2 sensor" is a second symptom of the problem along with the car dying.  You therefore answered your own problem: the bad crankshaft sensor could result in poor/mistimed firing in the cylinder, and causing the O2 sensor to trip as well as the stalling.

I've never changed one myself, so you're on your own with that side of the equation.

Bingo. It's just a matter of finding the time to work on it - or rather, take it to the mechanic shop we do business with to have them fix it instead (we're a bodyshop, so paint and collision repair primarily, we don't really do the under the hood stuff, with several exceptions). It's just that when you scan the computer with the scanning tools, the only error that pops up is O2 sensor, so yeah, you got it. Well, a couple months ago it was actually the mass airflow sensor, too, but I cleaned that and put it back, and all was right again.

Haven't tested the alternator but that shouldn't be the issue. The crank shaft sensor has been wonky for a while even after they put it in; sometimes it starts rough and doesn't smooth out until I get it driving. It was even worse right before the exhaust fell out, when it was loud as shit. There was a big hole in the tailpipe and the exhaust was just coming straight out underneath the car  :lol

I'm just stunned that, of course, all these issues happened right before a big trip. At least I only live a minute or two from work so I can walk if it dies next time. Next year I'm flying.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #775 on: September 18, 2019, 03:40:27 PM »
Your car sounds like a nightmare

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #776 on: September 18, 2019, 03:46:59 PM »
It's a fucking nightmare on four wheels and when I get rid of I want to circle it with a bat a la Office Space and give it the business  :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #777 on: September 18, 2019, 03:55:25 PM »
Haven't tested the alternator but that shouldn't be the issue. The crank shaft sensor has been wonky for a while even after they put it in; sometimes it starts rough and doesn't smooth out until I get it driving. It was even worse right before the exhaust fell out, when it was loud as shit. There was a big hole in the tailpipe and the exhaust was just coming straight out underneath the car  :lol
The crankshaft sensor isn't going to cause you to start popping fuses, though. A short or a wonky alternator sure will, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #778 on: September 18, 2019, 03:58:07 PM »
The crankshaft sensor isn't going to cause you to start popping fuses, though. A short or a wonky alternator sure will, though.

Ohhh that. Yeah, I think you're onto something there, I'll hopefully have time to check it out tomorrow or Friday. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: Tested the alternator this morning just to be sure - it's all good. Old man didn't think there was a problem with it either, just 17 year old fuses that happened to bite the bullet. At least I don't have to worry about an electrical problem!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 09:17:47 AM by Kattelox »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #779 on: September 22, 2019, 06:18:29 AM »
So we went and picked up my wife a new car yesterday. A fully loaded Genesis g70 and holy shit it's nice. I mean it has every feature imaginable, I simply can't believe how nice it is coming from Hyundai.

One thing that wasn't nice was dealing with a Hyundai/Genesis dealer. The first payment they hit us with was $792 a month with $2500 down, that's essentially a BMW M2 lease. After spending six hours there we got it down to $419 a month and zero money down.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #780 on: September 22, 2019, 05:11:12 PM »
Just think how many people say "Mmm... Okay!" to that first offer, and walk out thinking they nailed it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #781 on: September 22, 2019, 05:11:48 PM »
Six hours, though. I think I'd rather get my ass whooped than sit in a dealership for 6 hours haggling over a price. Kudos!  :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #782 on: September 23, 2019, 05:21:25 AM »
It actually wasn't so bad, I for some reason enjoy the drama of it. We did leave the dealer to get some lunch at the start and said we were going to bmw and mercedes to check their cars out. While we ate the dealer kept texting use and came down to $480 just without doing anything :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #783 on: September 23, 2019, 05:30:06 AM »
$792 a month? Damn, that's more than my mortgage  :lol

I couldn't live with myself having a monthly vehicle payment like that. Its good you got it down to a better price though.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #784 on: September 27, 2019, 03:41:17 PM »
Update on my piece of junk car: it started overheating again a couple days ago... and I found out today that it has a blown head gasket. LOVELY!

I'm going to light this  :censored thing on fire.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #785 on: September 27, 2019, 08:51:35 PM »
That's really shitty, are you gonna change the head gasket yourself?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #786 on: October 24, 2019, 07:57:36 AM »
That's really shitty, are you gonna change the head gasket yourself?

Didn't even see this - nah. I know nothing about that sort of work, not even interested in trying. I'm actually getting it back today! They had to send the engine off to the machine shop to mill it down and then wash it, pressurize it etc. all that good stuff, and it's back to running. I spent the last week worrying about the engine head possibly being cracked but it isn't, so I don't have to go car shopping quite yet. Hopefully it doesn't have any problems getting through the winter.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #787 on: November 18, 2019, 08:25:15 AM »
Kudos to Ford for their EV unveil. I think it looks pretty sharp... but I can't for the life of me understand why it's badged as a Mustang..

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #788 on: November 18, 2019, 08:34:33 AM »
I agree, and it looks sharp but why call this a mustang. Also I don't think this would even be considered an SUV as the driver sits about as high as someone in an Audi All trak.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #789 on: November 18, 2019, 10:45:20 AM »
Friggin' adopted a 1990 Jeep Wrangler from my stepson.  More correctly, he bought it and asked to put it in my garage; he was going to fix it up with help from his brother and sister - who live with me - and give it to their grandpa.   Sis got married and moved to North Carolina, Bro is 12 and on the spectrum, so not taking the lead on this, and my stepson is now on active duty in Afghanistan until September 2020 at least.

So I figured I'd get it running and cleaned up for them as a surprise.  Did (or am in the process of doing) basic stuff, plugs, battery, distributor, plugs, fluids, filters (air, fuel).  Replaced the gaskets and some of the vacuum lines on the throttle body.  Flushed the radiator and replaced the upper and lower hoses, as well as the return.  Put the starter back in (it was hanging from the wires). 

Decided, since I had it drained and had the belts removed, that I would do the thermostat and water pump.   I had trouble with the fan (stuck on the bolts), but once I got that off, the pulley and water pump came off like a champ.   Two bolts on the thermostat housing, first came off no problem, second one... snapped off the head.  F***.  So, not having access to a welding kit, I used an EZ out, and... snapped IT off.  Double f***.  I'm really at a standstill now; I don't know what to do, other than try to drill out the EZ out, either with a diamond tipped drill, or my Dremel tool.   But even then, I'm sort of screwed, because that bolt is STUCK.

Any tips? I'm trying not to destroy the theormostat housing, because aftermarket ones seem to have fit problems ('90 parts are not easy to come by, and the three in my local scrap yard either have no motor or are the six cylinder version which isn't the same). 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #790 on: November 22, 2019, 05:57:35 AM »
So, as a Tesla fanboy, I have to express my sincere disappointment in last night's Cybertruck reveal. What a fucking shit show that was.

1) The presentation itself was terrible. Right out of the gate it looked unrehearsed and rushed, and then when the "armor windows" broke on stage and Elon audibly said "Oh my fucking god" into the microphone, I just hung my head. The presentation was only like 25 minutes and didn't touch on any of the truck's true capabilities.

I'm sure the windows still held up better than a traditional car's glass, but still... the optics are terrible.

2) The looks. What in the actual fuck am I looking at? I feel like this is what John DeLorean would have designed if GM asked him to design a modern day El Camino. If I needed the ultimate desert bomber vehicle, or something that can drive on Mars (yes this can do that), this would be at the top of the list. But if I'm just a contractor, or a backyard weekend warrior, I have zero interest in buying this thing. It suffers terribly from Honda Ridgeline syndrome with those bed walls that get progressively taller as you get closer to the cab. You can't load and unload stuff from all angles of the bed, which IMO is the first ask of a pickup truck.

This was a huge and embarrassing swing and a miss from Tesla as far as I'm concerned. I was convinced it was a joke for the first 10 minutes or so. I thought when the guy hit it with a sledgehammer, the steel was going to fall away to reveal the true body. Elon opened the presentation stating that the top three selling vehicles in the country are pickup trucks, and I feel like he has not presented us with something that's going to win over even a small percentage of that crowd.   

I can see the military and police wanting a variant of this thing though, especially if they modify the bed to be a box truck/van type vehicle instead, and I bet it'd be a pretty good plow truck as well with all of its torque.

I'm honestly in aww how bad this whole unveil was.

The Rivian is winning this fight as far as I'm concerned:

I am all for change and breaking the mold, but there's a reason why certain things don't change despite being in use for decades. This is more of what I was expecting:

« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 06:12:48 AM by Chino »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #791 on: November 22, 2019, 05:59:23 AM »
Edit: Duplicate post**

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #792 on: November 22, 2019, 06:54:07 AM »
Was Elon looking to make a new meme?  This truck is absolutely ridiculous looking and its hilarious  :rollin

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #793 on: November 22, 2019, 07:10:46 AM »
That design is complete trash. He's out of his mind.

I can't help but think about that early 90's game Hard Drivin

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #794 on: November 22, 2019, 07:14:59 AM »
lmao Phoenix beat me to it, I was going to say the design came out of a 90's video game.

Looks pretty bad, I am sure they will probably get back on the drawing board and redesign it.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #795 on: November 22, 2019, 07:57:00 AM »
Plus, anyone who has ever owned a pickup truck that got ANY use at all as a pickup knows that those sharp angles are going to take a beating over time.  I think Chino alluded to this, but it needs to be said.   You want a truck that's going to continue to look badass as long as you can; that straight line down the side will be rippled with pockmark dents after the second trip into the woods. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #796 on: November 22, 2019, 08:05:08 AM »
Yup. 

I actually don't think I hate the look. The kid in me deep down loves it. I just don't think it's practical as a pickup truck. Off roaders will love this thing. The cab can be pressurized, and Musk apparently was telling people last night that it could drive underwater. That also means, and I totally expect him to do this, that is can be driven on Mars.   

I think he should seriously contemplate building a box/van variant of this. UPS, Amazon, and FedEx would be ordering them by the thousands.   

I would drive it.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #797 on: November 22, 2019, 08:07:40 AM »
Am i the only one that thinks that Cybertruck is the coolest f*cking thing ever! :lol

That looks like straight out of Blade Runner, Akira or Cyberpunk 2077! I can't believe that Musk and rest of Tesla had the balls to make something as outrageous as this. :omg: Also i don't think Elon cares at all about the controversy, and just basks in it..

That presentation though was a fail. And i have to believe, that they are going to have to install some wingmirrors or wingmirror cameras into that thing. I can't believe that Europe is going to let a production car into the roads without wingmirrors.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #798 on: November 22, 2019, 08:13:40 AM »
Am i the only one that thinks that Cybertruck is the coolest f*cking thing ever! :lol

That looks like straight out of Blade Runner, Akira or Cyberpunk 2077! I can't believe that Musk and rest of Tesla had the balls to make something as outrageous as this. :omg: Also i don't think Elon cares at all about the controversy, and just basks in it..

That presentation though was a fail. And i have to believe, that they are going to have to install some wingmirrors or wingmirror cameras into that thing. I can't believe that Europe is going to let a production car into the roads without wingmirrors.

I think it's sick. I just think they totally missed the mark. Musk said this would be a pickup truck capable of stealing market share from the F-150/1500 market, and this vehicle will not do that.

It will have mirrors for sure. It's not uncommon in these kind of press events to not have them on.

Night of the Semi unveil:

Actual semi:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #799 on: November 22, 2019, 10:40:53 AM »
I can't believe that Musk and rest of Tesla had the balls to make something as outrageous as this. :omg: Also i don't think Elon cares at all about the controversy, and just basks in it..

I'm neutral on Musk; I'm not a fanboy, nor do I hate him.  I know all the nonsense around him (and his mental state) and I neither embrace or reject it.   But as someone who is a devout capitalist, and an experienced environmentalist (I was Environmental Health and Safety Counsel for a $4B business for a period, and I spent my early career managing environmental remediation projects) I like one key aspect of his idea(s):  he's showing that that "powerplant" is not the deciding factor when assessment price/performance curves. 

Even if Tesla isn't a raging success, it will open the door to fast followers and eventually the big car companies will be called on to move beyond the roller skates they are producing now under huge government subsidies.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #800 on: November 22, 2019, 10:42:26 AM »
That Cybertruck is one of the ugliest fucking automobiles I have ever seen, good lord.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #801 on: November 22, 2019, 04:53:38 PM »
I forgot about the event, and then googled photos later in the evening. I legit thought it was another fake rendering until I started seeing videos pour in on Youtube.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #802 on: November 22, 2019, 07:17:08 PM »
That Cybertruck is one of the ugliest fucking automobiles I have ever seen, good lord.

My buddy sent me the video of it and I thought it was a joke until I watched it. It is easily the worst looking vehicle I have ever seen.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #803 on: November 23, 2019, 06:01:28 AM »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #804 on: November 23, 2019, 06:09:08 AM »
That looks better than the Tesla SUV.