Author Topic: Anything related to automobiles  (Read 100470 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Anything related to automobiles
« Reply #630 on: October 17, 2018, 07:54:04 AM »
Do you ever use that manual mode?  I mean for real driving purposes. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #631 on: October 17, 2018, 08:02:58 AM »
I could do that with the manual shift and see, and there is no noise. 

And maybe it is something different but the only thing for sure was my transmission fluid was low for sure.  After putting some in yesterday, it really did drive better, but there was still some slipping this morning (there wasn't any yesterday afternoon or evening) but not nearly as bad as it was previously.  I checked my dipstick again and it looks like it's still a bit low so put a little more in.  I guess I'll see if that makes a difference, but I am starting to think that low fluid was just part of maybe a larger problem.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #632 on: October 17, 2018, 08:19:23 AM »
Do you ever use that manual mode?  I mean for real driving purposes.
Rarely. When I was driving an Audi with the shift paddles I used it a fair amount. When I use it now is mostly if a cop shows up behind me I can downshift to control my speed without hitting the brakes.

I could do that with the manual shift and see, and there is no noise. 

And maybe it is something different but the only thing for sure was my transmission fluid was low for sure.  After putting some in yesterday, it really did drive better, but there was still some slipping this morning (there wasn't any yesterday afternoon or evening) but not nearly as bad as it was previously.  I checked my dipstick again and it looks like it's still a bit low so put a little more in.  I guess I'll see if that makes a difference, but I am starting to think that low fluid was just part of maybe a larger problem.
This is generally the case. When ATF heats up it expands, creating more volume and therefore more pressure. So any any internal faults causing problems aren't as bad once there's "more" ATF spinning around in there. When the car cools down the ATF "lessens" and the problems are back.

And I'm sure your buddy told you this, but you have to make sure the car is hot when you check the ATF, for the reason I just gave.

Sometimes just having the tranny serviced (properly serviced) will make problems better. A bad filter will certainly foul things up. Sometimes it'll make the problem worse (older ATF is thicker, so new, thinner fluid wont' be as effective at mitigating the problem). That's really a crapshoot.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #633 on: October 17, 2018, 08:24:50 AM »
Yea, that's what my understanding was (and I added it while hot).  We will see. I don't plan on putting any serious money into this car, if it's just the fluid that's no issue, but if I need to get a mechanic involved, I'll most likely just part ways with it as its not worth the hassle and money to me at this point and I am financially ready to buy another car.  Although, when I get my oil changed again next month I can look into their transmission services and if things are better or still the same, I can try that out.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #634 on: October 17, 2018, 12:03:41 PM »
Getting some work done on my truck today and getting it ready for winter. New tires, new brakes and rotors for the rear brakes, a remote start is getting put on, and an oil change and inspection.

Did a lot of research on tires and looked at what the dealership offered for my truck. Ended up going with Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. When I set up the appointment to get the work done, the salesman tried talking me out of them. Wanted me to go with Goodyear Wrangler Adventures. They were cheaper and that's what he had on his truck. I initially decided to go with his suggestion, but I did more research and the Adventures aren't even rated for snow, which is my biggest concern and need for the All-Terrain tires since we spend a lot of time in snow here in Minnesota. Then I found out that the Adventures are the stock tire on F-150s now, so I didn't really want to get a stock tire to replace the stock tire and the reviews weren't that good for them.

I know maybe it was dumb to go against his suggestion, but I felt more comfortable with the Duratracs. Sure, they are a tad bit more of an aggressive tire, but I just liked what I read. They did well on dry pavement, rain, and are rated for severe snow.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #635 on: October 17, 2018, 12:25:46 PM »
Getting some work done on my truck today and getting it ready for winter. New tires, new brakes and rotors for the rear brakes, a remote start is getting put on, and an oil change and inspection.

Did a lot of research on tires and looked at what the dealership offered for my truck. Ended up going with Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. When I set up the appointment to get the work done, the salesman tried talking me out of them. Wanted me to go with Goodyear Wrangler Adventures. They were cheaper and that's what he had on his truck. I initially decided to go with his suggestion, but I did more research and the Adventures aren't even rated for snow, which is my biggest concern and need for the All-Terrain tires since we spend a lot of time in snow here in Minnesota. Then I found out that the Adventures are the stock tire on F-150s now, so I didn't really want to get a stock tire to replace the stock tire and the reviews weren't that good for them.

I know maybe it was dumb to go against his suggestion, but I felt more comfortable with the Duratracs. Sure, they are a tad bit more of an aggressive tire, but I just liked what I read. They did well on dry pavement, rain, and are rated for severe snow.
Gotta go with the tires you're comfortable with. If you notice a difference it really matters. The previous owner of my car put Pilots on it, like all good BMW owners, and they're great. When it came time to replace them (way too soon because of a tie-rod end) I decided to save a few hundred by going with Continentals (the Extreme Contact DWS line is the stock tire for 3-series). They're the highest rated tire at TireRack.com for my car and everybody loves them. I had them installed on a Friday afternoon, and Saturday morning 11:00 I'm at the store demanding they be taken off my fucking car. Those things were terrible. The sidewalls were so flimsy a canoe would have been more stable. I was afraid to drive on them (and I'm a fairly fearless driver). Tires I was comfortable driving on were worth far more than the ~$200 savings.

On a side note, all of this tire bullshit is Ford's fault. When they scapegoated Firestone for their POS, rollover prone SUVs Firestone had to scale back their line considerably, and a casualty was much of their Firehawk line. Those were awesome tires at an awesome price and they haven't been available since. Repeatedly letting lots of people burn alive rather than fixing their cars is one thing, but ruining my tire selection really pisses me off.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #636 on: October 17, 2018, 12:49:30 PM »
Actually, it's funny that you mention Ford not fixing the cars. Recently, my rear window defrost stopped working on my F150, and I started googling if anyone else had that problem. Turns out, it's the contact for the defrost not working and there have been some stories of people having the contact start a small fire and blow out the back window. Instead of issuing a recall and fixing the problem, Ford has said it's not their problem and will replace them only if the car is under warranty. So, I guess I won't be using the defrost in the back, which is okay because I don't ever really need to use it...I don't think I've ever had the rear window frost up.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #637 on: October 17, 2018, 01:02:02 PM »
On a different note, I had a 2009 VW Beetle, 2.5 L PZEV, 5 speed. Black and in great cosmetic shape for being nine years old (aside from some ripping on the seats). Had a new stereo system and speakers put in (sounded amazing) last summer, etc. I never drove it (only 64k miles, with maybe 500 accumulated over the last year or so), so it ended up sitting in the garage, and we decided to sell it.

KBB priced it out as like $2,300. Dumbfounded. Took it to Carmax - just $3,000. I couldn't believe how far the value dropped on the car in just the last two years. I could have went through the process of selling it privately, but to be honest, most kids (16-24) wouldn't want it, as it was a stick, and would probably take me a long time to sell, and get the 4k I was eyeing for it. So we bit the bullet and just sold it to Carmax.

Had to vent. I was really annoyed. I mean, depreciation and all of that -- I get it. But holy crap. Just a year ago I could have gotten like $5000. I mean, the car would have needed some front end maintenance pretty soon (tie rods and struts had some play), but it was immaculate and ran great. As much as I love the little thing, it was time to let it go. I probably would have only gotten 1500 for it if I waited another year.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #638 on: October 17, 2018, 01:07:02 PM »
Actually, it's funny that you mention Ford not fixing the cars. Recently, my rear window defrost stopped working on my F150, and I started googling if anyone else had that problem. Turns out, it's the contact for the defrost not working and there have been some stories of people having the contact start a small fire and blow out the back window. Instead of issuing a recall and fixing the problem, Ford has said it's not their problem and will replace them only if the car is under warranty. So, I guess I won't be using the defrost in the back, which is okay because I don't ever really need to use it...I don't think I've ever had the rear window frost up.
Nothing is ever Ford's problems, and lawsuits are cheaper than recalls.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #639 on: October 17, 2018, 03:04:04 PM »
Samsara, the car market is all kinds of f'ed up lately around here (Northeast).  I used to buy/sell cars often enough to have an idea of what they're worth and even after I stopped moving them you still have an idea.   I've helped my son now on three sales and three buy/sells of my own, and I don't think I've been in shouting distance of but one of them.   Some cars are inexplicably getting crazy money (Saabs) and some are being firesaled (VW GTI, my Tacoma).   

I blame social media.   :) 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #640 on: October 17, 2018, 03:26:16 PM »
Samsara, the car market is all kinds of f'ed up lately around here (Northeast).  I used to buy/sell cars often enough to have an idea of what they're worth and even after I stopped moving them you still have an idea.   I've helped my son now on three sales and three buy/sells of my own, and I don't think I've been in shouting distance of but one of them.   Some cars are inexplicably getting crazy money (Saabs) and some are being firesaled (VW GTI, my Tacoma).   

I blame social media.   :)

Glad (but not glad) its not just me. I was really shocked how far it dropped in value. Not surprised about Saabs. They have a cult following. I forget when they stopped making them, but when I was in law school in the very early 2000s, I had a guy whose family were die hard Saab owners/fans.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #641 on: October 18, 2018, 08:58:47 AM »
Sooooo

Yesterday going to lunch, no issues with the car.  Played around in the parking lot shifting between gears 1,2,3 (that's all I can play with on my automatic civic) and I didn't see any issues.  I go home last night from work and am happy because in the cold and without warming up I was able to do everything I did during lunch in the parking lot again.  I hit the road, no issues.  It's driving the best it has been, until...  lots and lots of traffic.  Sitting in stop and go for 30 minutes and finally when the traffic is about to break and im just going 7 mph, I hit the gas and nothing.  Revs go shooting up, MPH doesn't move an inch.  I change gears, nothing.  Luckily I am just slowly moving at 7mph still that I was able to move the car to the side (with lots of angry people at me now, and understandable).  I put the car in park, put it back in drive.  No issues.  I drive home cautiously but experience no further issues.  I take the car around my neighborhood doing more tests with changing gears manually and staying in them.  I see no issues.  I don't sleep at all because I'm worried if the car is dead.  I need a car for this weekend and I'm freaking out if this is going to be safe to drive 500 miles round trip to PA.  I take it to work and not a single issue, before leaving I did more tests and messing around in my neighborhood.  I saw some slipping, but nothing bad, nothing like it had been the last two weeks and nothing like where it completely stopped working last night.  To be safe in the massive amounts of traffic this morning, I kept it in gear 3 until the traffic would move above 30 mph and then put it in drive.  Really seemed to work fine.  I'm not sure what to do but I started car searching this morning anyway because maybe I will just do what I've been wanting to do for the last 2 years and upgrade to a new civic.  I found this used one that is exactly like the one I wanted two years ago.  I may have to go take a look today

https://www.openroadhonda.com/used-Edison-2016-Honda-Civic+Sedan-Touring-2HGFC1F9XGH659112

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: October 18, 2018, 06:02:21 PM »
Anything flashing on your dash? Check Engine Light? What about the 'D' Symbol? Transmission Light?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #643 on: October 18, 2018, 08:19:53 PM »
Anything flashing on your dash? Check Engine Light? What about the 'D' Symbol? Transmission Light?

Nothing.

Went to the dealer and bought the civic I linked earlier.  They gave my current car a test drive and said they were scared to drive it  :lol they think my second gear is just destroyed and wondered why I didn't stall out more like I did last night (not like an engine stall, not sure how else to explain it).  They definitely said it was the 2nd gear for sure too.  Needless to say, they didn't really want the car and just offered their minimum (I also have the front bumper hanging on by zip ties, and other minor cosmetic issues).  I feel like this is an upgrade over every aspect of my old car that I would be thrilled to get the life out of similar to my old car.  Also, finally, a sun roof!  :hat

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: October 20, 2018, 06:11:02 AM »
Well it's a bummer your old car is having issues but a new car would be nice too.

I think my bmw has finally died. I went to go pick up my brother from the airport two nights ago when I got the battery light and power steering loss. I've been down this road before, my serpentine belt broke which is strange since I just replaced it a couple months ago. Leave the car at the airport get a lyft home. Come back to the airport with a new belt, my old belt was fine my belt tension broke and took a piece of the oil filter housing with it. Now I'm going to get the car towed home. So basically I can fix it, again but I just have no desire to. I know I said I enjoyed working on it a few posts ago but I enjoyed doing things to better improve the car. This is the third time it's shit the bed with a similar issue.

My big dilemma is I need a car, my mustang hasn't started to be built and if it was summer I'd commute on my bike. Do I buy a cheap car and sell it when my mustang shows up? Do I fix my M3 and then light it on fire when my new car shows up? I'd share my gf's car but she is now working weekends so she needs the car during the week and I hate relying on her.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #645 on: October 20, 2018, 06:22:11 AM »
Im not sure what makes financial sense, but if you knew how to fix and what to do to fix your car, I'd probably think that's cheaper than buying a temp car, but maybe not since I have no idea of the cost of parts and time itll take you.  Sounds annoying though to deal with that timing since you are waiting for a new car.

Absolutely loving my new civic.  I can feel it's got a little extra umph with its turbo compared to my old civic which is great for highway passing (not like this car hits off quick from stop, but feels great  and reactive once at speed).  Having all the extras is really where it's making a difference for me though, the heated leather seats, the 450 watt sound system, android for the car, sunroof, remote start.... these things are what I am really loving the most right now since otherwise it's mostly the same but newer car.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #646 on: October 20, 2018, 12:34:38 PM »
Well it's a bummer your old car is having issues but a new car would be nice too.

I think my bmw has finally died. I went to go pick up my brother from the airport two nights ago when I got the battery light and power steering loss. I've been down this road before, my serpentine belt broke which is strange since I just replaced it a couple months ago. Leave the car at the airport get a lyft home. Come back to the airport with a new belt, my old belt was fine my belt tension broke and took a piece of the oil filter housing with it. Now I'm going to get the car towed home. So basically I can fix it, again but I just have no desire to. I know I said I enjoyed working on it a few posts ago but I enjoyed doing things to better improve the car. This is the third time it's shit the bed with a similar issue.

My big dilemma is I need a car, my mustang hasn't started to be built and if it was summer I'd commute on my bike. Do I buy a cheap car and sell it when my mustang shows up? Do I fix my M3 and then light it on fire when my new car shows up? I'd share my gf's car but she is now working weekends so she needs the car during the week and I hate relying on her.
The problem is a cheap temp-car can have the same sorts of problems. It's also a hassle to buy another car and then have two to sell, as well as insure.

If you're planning to sell the M3 (and of course you are) it'll be better sold repaired. If you're planning on trading it in for the Mustang then it dosen't matter. You could charge it up and drive it onto the lot with no power steering and then it's their problem.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #647 on: October 22, 2018, 08:09:38 PM »
Alright so update:

M3 needs a new oil filter housing unit. That will fix the issue I had with it. I plan on doing this because I also bought a new car (well almost new). I picked up a 2017 Lexus RC350 AWD this week. My plan was not to buy the car, I was shopping for a cheap car I could get rid of when my mustang came. My brother (who is a big Lexus fan) told me stop by the dealership to take a look. I did and I drove the RC. It's an awesome car, it's not the fastest (it's heavy as shit), but it really surprised me and how nice of a package it was. I talked to the soon-to-be misses and I decided I'm going to get the car. My options are now keep the lexus and cancel my order (eat the deposit), sell the car when my mustang gets here, or most likely the misses will take the car when her lease expires early next year. I got a phenomenal deal on the car and it's looks brand new, not single scratch or nic on it. The M3 stays for now because I'm a glutton for punishment and I drive my german shepherd around a lot, I don't really want him in the new car right now.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #648 on: October 31, 2018, 12:33:46 PM »
Maybe I'm just a fanboy, but this thing in white is freaking sexy.

Quite a step up from the first generation
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 12:49:20 PM by Chino »

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #649 on: October 31, 2018, 01:09:55 PM »
First gen was pretty much just a Lotus Elise with an electric drivetrain. ;D

That new looks awesome though! Hopefully it is really as fast as Elon Claims..

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #650 on: October 31, 2018, 01:16:58 PM »
I saw a segment from Jay Leno's show where they gave him a ride in this. He just started yelling when the guy driving stomped on the gas and as it was still accelerating yelled "I'll buy it!". There's no doubt in my mind they'll get it close to that 250mph+ mark. I'm looking forward to seeing if they can actually get the acceleration figures they're talking about. Getting that kind of power down could be a real challenge. I can't imagine what kind of tires you need to get a street car up to 60mph in under 2 seconds.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #651 on: December 12, 2018, 04:55:55 AM »
Anyone watch Regular car reviews?

They did one on the BMW 850i and through in a mention of Dream Theater at the end of the review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_SknARfADQ

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #652 on: December 17, 2018, 12:37:53 PM »
Anyone watch Regular car reviews?

They did one on the BMW 850i and through in a mention of Dream Theater at the end of the review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_SknARfADQ

I actually really enjoyed that review.

I started watching, paused it for a few hours, then came back to it forgetting that I found it here and there was supposed to be a mention of DT. Made me :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #653 on: January 10, 2019, 07:18:31 AM »
Elon Musk mentioned the new Roadster having jets on it to counter roll and whatnot when cornering, or to add additional down force at low speeds for traction.

I guess he wasn't kidding.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #654 on: February 23, 2019, 07:26:55 PM »
I have some deferred maintenance on my Volvo coming up once the weather warms up:

Coolant flush
Bleed brakes
Transmission fluid flush/drain
AC & alternator belts and tensioners
Timing belt

None of these items are actually in my maintenance manual (besides timing belt), but it seems pretty clear that these should be done at least once in 118,000 miles.  Regarding the coolant flush, I saw a video of a guy running his engine (with cabin heat running) with the coolant draining and simultaneously keeping it topped off with distilled water.  This seems like a good idea to make sure all the old coolant is gone, but also seemed a bit nerve wracking to me.

Draining all the trans fluid doesn't seem very easy, and some recommendations suggest just draining whatever comes out of the plug and replacing that with new fluid.  Repeating a few times still leaves some old fluid in, but is that really a big deal?

Brakes are a bit more straightforward, but I've still never done it myself.

I've probably talked about my timing belt a million times, and mentioned it here once or twice.  I know the whole process and exactly what I have to do, but I don't trust myself not to screw something up.  I will likely just have that done at a shop.  Until i started writing this post, i thought Volvo dealers had lifetime warranty on their service, but as I re-read it, timing belts aren't included  :mehlin

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: February 23, 2019, 08:16:24 PM »
I've done a few transmission fluid changes in my day and they are indeed a huge pain in the ass that's what I'd probably thing I'd take my car to the dealer.

I think I finally have an answer as to what I'm going to do with my BMW. I think I might just track it locally, I have all the bits to get it sorted but I'm just waiting for better weather.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #656 on: February 24, 2019, 12:44:19 AM »
I have some deferred maintenance on my Volvo coming up once the weather warms up:

Coolant flush
Bleed brakes
Transmission fluid flush/drain
AC & alternator belts and tensioners
Timing belt

None of these items are actually in my maintenance manual (besides timing belt), but it seems pretty clear that these should be done at least once in 118,000 miles.  Regarding the coolant flush, I saw a video of a guy running his engine (with cabin heat running) with the coolant draining and simultaneously keeping it topped off with distilled water.  This seems like a good idea to make sure all the old coolant is gone, but also seemed a bit nerve wracking to me.

Draining all the trans fluid doesn't seem very easy, and some recommendations suggest just draining whatever comes out of the plug and replacing that with new fluid.  Repeating a few times still leaves some old fluid in, but is that really a big deal?

Brakes are a bit more straightforward, but I've still never done it myself.

I've probably talked about my timing belt a million times, and mentioned it here once or twice.  I know the whole process and exactly what I have to do, but I don't trust myself not to screw something up.  I will likely just have that done at a shop.  Until i started writing this post, i thought Volvo dealers had lifetime warranty on their service, but as I re-read it, timing belts aren't included  :mehlin
One of my BMWs had a blown head gasket, but it only leaked externally. Managed to keep it on the road for 3 years without much hassle. In six months to a year oxidation would turn the coolant pretty nasty so it would need to be flushed. They'd stick a water hose in there and let it run for 5 or 10 minutes while somebody kept it gently revved and monitored the temp. Impurities won't matter for the scant time they're in there before being replaced with something that will actively neutralize the remnants.

Also watched my mechanic change the tranny fluid (and filter, don't forget that). It was messy but not awful. However, mine was an easily serviceable transmission. Nowadays they're sealed and, as I understand it, you have to siphon the old fluid out and pump the good stuff back in. Not sure how you'd even deal with the filter. I know modern (in my case 05) BMWs have completely non-serviceable trannys.

Watch a YT video on how to make a 1 man bleeder apparatus. My guess would be a 16oz coke bottle with holes drilled in the cap. And a 118k if you're going to do it you should probably replace the fluid altogether. That stuff does get old with age. When that happens the boiling point of the fluid drops dramatically. Volvo recommends changing it at 24k, though that's super-duper conservative.

I don't know that the deal with your timing belt is (that's the job I always let the tech do because failure is catastrophic). I do know that the car I had with a belt, rather than a chain, involved getting all the way down to the water pump. It was therefore the case that you never replaced one without the other. No idea if that holds true with yours, but you should look into it, particularly since you'll be draining all the coolant anyway.

edit: just noticed belts and tensioners are your list. Do the water pump either way. You'll have everything off of the front of the motor and it'll be drained.
E.F. Benson

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #657 on: February 24, 2019, 06:18:12 AM »
Water pump will definitely be done with timing belt, and of course it would make sense to do the coolant flush right afterwards.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 06:25:25 AM by jasc15 »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #658 on: March 04, 2019, 11:05:52 PM »
T-Minus 15 hours till my Model 3 test drive. :D
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #659 on: March 05, 2019, 06:35:11 AM »
Which model are you taking for a spin?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #660 on: March 05, 2019, 09:10:37 AM »
Not sure, to be honest, but I doubt they have any of the base models available at showrooms right now anyway, I really just want to get a general feel for the car and especially see if the drive in general is really as great as advertised. Been spending a day or two kinda getting a feel for certain things I want to check out.

The main batch revolves around autopilot and safety features. A HUGE strike against the Model 3 is the lack of a traditional blind spot monitoring system. And given that my current car has both lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control, will the new base autopilot (which is basically just those two features) be a significant upgrade over my car, which is already great, especially in the cruise control department. It's something that Tesla really toots its own horn about so I better feel like it's pretty fucking magical and well refined.

On a similar front the Model 3, as priced, is missing a couple of glaringly obvious items. One is a heated steering wheel. While not used regularly as I either have scheduled leave times for work or start my car ahead of time, I don't always remember or leave at those times and LOVE my heated steering wheel when I get into a cold car. I also believe that the car only has heated seats, and not cooled/ventilated. Finally the lack of support for USB audio or Android Auto is wholly disappointing. Not even from a technological sense but just from the seeming desire to force you into Tesla's ecosystem, a very bad and very Apple like trait I find horrid. What this would essentially mean for me is despite a giant 15" screen I would STILL need to mount my phone somewhere for Waze navigation.

So why even consider a car that is more expensive than my current vehicle and has several glaring downgrades? Well, it'll come down to the ride. The Model is is even more efficient than my already super efficient car, is wholly electric which I want, and has those two Tesla qualities that give it an edge up on everyone else: A vast supercharger network and a sportiness no one else in the segment is even beginning to touch. While I will choose fuel efficiency and practicality any day of the week over horsepower or fun, Tesla is that rare breed that does allow you to have both. If I fall in love with that aspect of things it can overcome the shortcomings.

For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #661 on: March 13, 2019, 08:50:27 PM »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #662 on: March 14, 2019, 06:18:35 AM »
Noice!   

The Model Y gets unveiled today!  :corn :corn

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #663 on: March 14, 2019, 10:12:32 PM »
Pretty vanilla as expected given how much the vehicle is based on the Model 3. MUCH more interested in following the progress of the semi at this point.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #664 on: March 15, 2019, 05:39:40 AM »
Pretty vanilla as expected given how much the vehicle is based on the Model 3. MUCH more interested in following the progress of the semi at this point.

I'm anxious to see what they enter the pickup truck realm with.