Author Topic: Anything related to automobiles  (Read 100487 times)

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Anything related to automobiles
« Reply #595 on: July 01, 2018, 06:47:32 PM »
I am so stupid, so fucking stupid. Warning semi-long story ahead:

So not sure if anyone remembers but a few months back I ended up changing my water pump and oil filter gasket in my bmw. I had a small oil leak which is why I did the oil filter gasket. Well I finished and my car started leaking even more oil. I pretty much said fuck it, I getting rid of my car soon and I'm tired working on it. Today I'm doing an oil change and I go to reach for oil plug crush washer and realize it's different from the one I found on the garage floor a few months back. It then clicked! I opened my hood and saw one of the wiring harnesses was wearing away underneath the VANOS feed line. Turns out there are two crush washers on the VANOS nut, I only had one. I remember moving my car and seeing it on the floor, I just thought it was from an oil change I did previously and never saw it before.

I finished my oil change and put a clean paper towel under the nut and started my car, sure enough that's where the oil was coming from. Put a new washer on and hopefully no more leaks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #596 on: August 14, 2018, 03:44:16 PM »
Car died today. The engine is shot. Made it 110,000 miles so I'm not crazy surprised, but I wanted to ask:

Anyone ever salvage a car? Its shot so I don't want to mess around with trying to sell it. I just want it to go away. Do I just call a junkyard and sign the title over.

I was also thinking about just donating it to purple heart.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #597 on: August 14, 2018, 04:45:49 PM »
You got it, call the junkyard and get it towed and sign over the title.

What car was it?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #598 on: August 14, 2018, 05:39:50 PM »
Car died today. The engine is shot. Made it 110,000 miles so I'm not crazy surprised, but I wanted to ask:

Anyone ever salvage a car? Its shot so I don't want to mess around with trying to sell it. I just want it to go away. Do I just call a junkyard and sign the title over.

If the tax write-off is greater than what the junkyard will give you then do that. I'd call a few junkyards, though. They won't tell you anything concrete, but you should get a sense of what they're willing to pay. If it still has the original cats it'll make a huge difference in what they offer.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #599 on: August 15, 2018, 06:57:04 AM »

I donated a 2004 Chevy Cavalier to Cars (Kars) for Kids 5 years ago.  The car ran fine, but the side was all smashed in from an accident. They parted it out and I got a letter a few months later confirming a $1,200 tax write off. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #600 on: August 15, 2018, 07:02:43 AM »
I put my Mini with a blown engine on Craiglist.

I said "Mini cooper. Blown engine. $1000. Buyer is responsible for moving it"

I had 28 people reach out to me in 48 hours. I actually ended up selling it for $1300. First time I ever sold something for more than I listed it for on Craigslist. I wish I had listed it for $2000. I bet I could have gotten $1500+.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #601 on: August 15, 2018, 08:10:50 AM »
Good call, Chino.  I'm trying to do the same thing with my '98 Tacoma with a cracked frame.   

The salvage market here isn't that hot.  I had a 2002 Volvo S40 and best I could get was $200 if I brought it in, $150 if they picked it up.    Depends on the car, of course, but not that much. 

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #602 on: August 15, 2018, 08:27:08 AM »
Cruising through the local ford dealership sites like I do every other morning to see if any cars with my spec have shown up so I can cancel my order and grab the new car on the lot instead of waiting for my build.

I saw a used 2018 model that is exactly how I ordered my 2019 (except it's silver) with 2k miles. I'm thinking of checking it out Monday when I get back and if they take 36k I'll take it. I'd be saving 13K off my order and the only think I'd lose is taht it's not new, not the color I want and a 2018. It may be worth it for $13k savings.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #603 on: August 15, 2018, 08:28:35 AM »
Thanks for all the advice guys.

You got it, call the junkyard and get it towed and sign over the title.

What car was it?

It was a 98 Toyota corolla.  It served me very well. Made it to 110,000 miles.

From what I was able to put together is the Check oil light was faulty and the engine was leaking oil. At some point, it went almost totally empty and I was driving it like that and it destroyed the engine. So in the future, I am gonna just pull the dipstick every few weeks or so just for peace of mind on the next car.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #604 on: August 15, 2018, 08:48:30 AM »
Cruising through the local ford dealership sites like I do every other morning to see if any cars with my spec have shown up so I can cancel my order and grab the new car on the lot instead of waiting for my build.

I saw a used 2018 model that is exactly how I ordered my 2019 (except it's silver) with 2k miles. I'm thinking of checking it out Monday when I get back and if they take 36k I'll take it. I'd be saving 13K off my order and the only think I'd lose is taht it's not new, not the color I want and a 2018. It may be worth it for $13k savings.

You might get charged some sort of processing/increased inventory fee for cancelling an order on a car that was already started. When I bought my Mini new, you'd typically have to wait 10-16 weeks for your car to be built/shipped. I took over an abandoned order and only had to wait 3 weeks. I remember the salesman telling me the owners that bailed on the order were charged a fee to do so.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 08:58:42 AM by Chino »

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #605 on: August 15, 2018, 08:57:19 AM »
So the worst case is I lose my $1000 deposit, but since this dealer is within the delearship network I might try to talk my way out of it. I’m still undecided, I fucking hate silver as a car color.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #606 on: August 15, 2018, 09:51:47 AM »
I’m still undecided, I fucking hate silver as a car color.

I feel like "car people" really don't like silver cars  :lol Both cars I've bought have been silver and I always get crap for it from my friends who I consider to be "car people" which I am definitely not.  I just fine silver to be the easiest color for looking clean and not attracting attention on the roads.   I'm not sure the next car I get will be silver again though.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #607 on: August 15, 2018, 09:56:07 AM »
I’ve seen some silver cars that look ok but I definitely don’t like it. Out of all the mustang colors I think silver looks the worst.

I will agree with you that silver is one of the easiest ways to keep clean.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #608 on: August 15, 2018, 09:57:52 AM »
Yea, I wouldnt get a silver mustang. What color did you go with for your build?  I like the black or blue on Mustangs personally.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #609 on: August 15, 2018, 10:05:32 AM »
It was tough but I went with black. There is a color that they make for 350r’s called Lead Foot Gray:

I wish I could’ve gotten that color, no stripes.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #610 on: August 15, 2018, 10:07:59 AM »
Nice, the black goes well IMO

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #611 on: August 15, 2018, 10:10:39 AM »
Yea there were a few other colors I liked. They had a charcoal gray, white, blue. I liked burgundy but when I saw it in person it didn’t look good. It’s sort of why I’ll try the silver mustang out, who knows maybe it’ll look good in person.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #612 on: August 15, 2018, 10:52:17 PM »
The past week, I feel like my truck has been falling apart. In reality, nothing bad has been happening and it's only two things, but I'm so particular and careful with it, that it feels like one thing after another.

1) Driving into work Saturday morning, a giant rock hit my windshield. It was a loud cracking noise, but I didn't see any damage to the windshield. I shrugged it off and considered it another victory and considered myself lucky. I go to work and carry on with my day. I leave work, get in the car and notice on the passenger side, there are three cracks starting at the bottom below the windshield wipers  passenger side and going up to the middle of the windshield. Check for any other damage, only cracked the top layer of glass. Call insurance and repair company, they're coming to my work next Monday to replace the windshield.

2) Get home from work on Monday. Type in my garage code and wait for the door to go up. I look over at my truck and see a giant screw stuck in the middle of the tread on the driver's side tire. It's a 30 mile drive back to work the next day to go to the mechanic across from my store to do the repair. I know I could take it to a tire place and they do it for free, but I trust these guys.

Minor things, but I have a reputation at work for being meticulous with my truck and really do try to take care of everything so to have all of this stuff happen in a span of three days felt like the whole thing was falling apart  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #613 on: August 17, 2018, 10:10:44 AM »

I feel like "car people" really don't like silver cars  :lol Both cars I've bought have been silver and I always get crap for it from my friends who I consider to be "car people" which I am definitely not.  I just fine silver to be the easiest color for looking clean and not attracting attention on the roads.   I'm not sure the next car I get will be silver again though.
There are certain cars that should only ever come in silver, though.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #614 on: August 24, 2018, 06:34:20 AM »
Thank god for carfax

Was going to go look at (and was planning to buy) a car today. 2013 honda civic. Low miles and reasonable price, but there was no available carfax on it, which almost every other car I have looked at online has had, so I ran the report myself.

Not actual mileage...
Salvage...

No thanks.  That just saved me thousands of dollars and a 45 min trip

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #615 on: August 25, 2018, 06:50:20 AM »
So update on my mustang drama. I went and checked the silver on out and I actually loved it. In person it's a great color and the car was flawless. I was going to buy it but it got sold out from me the morning of the day I was going to buy it. Turns out the Sales Manager (who I was working with) had a buyer already, called the buyer and he ran down and bought it, neither me or my sales guy knew about it. I knew it was fishy when I offered the sales manager a deposit to hold the car and he wouldn't take it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #616 on: August 29, 2018, 05:26:39 AM »
That's annoying that they wouldn't be upfront with you on that

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #617 on: August 29, 2018, 07:37:44 AM »
Talking to my buddy who worked at ford he told me this was common. If somebody was working on a sale and another sales guy has a potential buyer they’ll try to sabotage that sale and push their sale.

My sales guy had no idea his sales manager had anybody interested.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #618 on: August 29, 2018, 07:42:46 AM »

There are certain cars that should only ever come in silver, though.

I don't know how I missed that the first time, but I would commit multiple felonies for that car.    I LOVE those cars (unfortunately, Datsun - yes, that's who made it - put them out in pine green, piss yellow, pumpkin orange, and a shit brown.   They had the worst original colors. https://zcarguide.com/datsun-280z-stock-paint-interior-colors-us-canada/

FYI, mine was "red" (what I called "pumpkin orange"). 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #619 on: August 29, 2018, 07:44:08 AM »
I don't know why, but this gets under my skin in a big way:  https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/this-man-was-so-fed-up-trying-to-get-his-tesla-fixed-that-he-ended-up-doing-it-himself/ar-BBMy7GB?ocid=ientp

WTF did he expect?   And oh, by the way, I've been doing that - without the whining, crying and complaining - since I was 19 and figured out how to turn a socket wrench.    I call him a p****.   

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #620 on: October 14, 2018, 05:48:04 AM »
Anyone here browse Bring a Trailer. I love checking the site from time to time and seeing some really interesting cars:

https://bringatrailer.com/

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #621 on: October 14, 2018, 12:29:03 PM »
There are some awesome cars there. Pretty cool site.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #622 on: October 15, 2018, 11:23:51 AM »
Here's one for the dumb luck crowd:

Car's been taking just a beat longer to start each time for about a month or so.   Other day, I go to get my stepson at school and it takes three, four seconds longer crank to start.  I think nothing of it.   I go to pick him up, we walk back to the car, and it's dead as a door nail.  I got power, but not so much as a click of the solenoid under the hood. 

I can't tap the starter beause it's packed under the manifold and air intake assembly, but above the block.   I do a little research, and on that car (a '06 BMW X3) it's one of a couple things:

- battery (Nope; 11.6 V at the battery, low but ought to at least throw over the starter)
- solenoid (Haven't ruled it out)
- starter (Not likely; not even getting a click on the solenoid)
- fuses (Nope; checked each one)
- ground strap (Nope, visually checked it; it's off the exhaust to the frame.  It's green-ish, not a great sign, but looks intact.)
- Ignition switch (haven't ruled it out)
- EWS, a security system on these cars (Ruled out the key side by using the spare key, nothing.  That means it still could be the EWS module)
- the ECU (haven't ruled it out)

So I'm down to:
Solenoid; a $85 part, but I have to take the manifold and air intake off the engine, as well as relocate the engine compartment electronics.  For a pro, about 2 hours work, for me, likely 3 at least, and that's if I can get the two special tools from my stepson.

Ignition switch; a $75 part, but I have to take apart the steering column, not the biggest deal, maybe an hour's job for me, but need a special tool.

EWS module: a $125 part (though less refurbished), but I need a dealer because it needs to be coded to the ECU and coded to the keys or it is useless. This means it's about $600 at least.

ECU module: over a $1250 part (though I can get them for about $750 refurbished), and I need a dealer because it needs to be coded by the dealer or it is useless. This means it's about $1500 at least.

So I get the car towed to my house, and I'm fucking around on Bimmerworld forums, and I see something about "ground straps", plural.  I know what they are, and checked the one I knew about, but I didn't realize there are two of them on my car, the one off the exhaust to the frame, that I can see, and one off the engine to the frame, under the heat shield under the car.  I also found out that a visual is not enough; if it's green, enough of the threads could be broken inside to make it effectively useless.  So I figure, what do I have to lose and I go out, in the rain, shimmy my fat ass under the back, check the rear ground strap, and sure enough, tight as a drum.  It ain't it.   Go to the front, jack up the car, look at it, see where it connects to the frame and it's silver and looks intact.  I can't reach it to pull it, but I am able to reach in the wheel well and touch it... and it falls to dust in my hand.   Twenty minutes, a $16 cable from NAPA and a couple washers from Home Depot (the ends were different) and it fired up first try.  I ordered legit ones from an aftermarket/OEM site (with the correct ends) and I'll replace the rear one just to not take the chance, but I'm glad I didn't have to involve the dealer (FYI, the $16 cable was $59 and change from the dealer.)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #623 on: October 15, 2018, 12:00:10 PM »
11.6 is way low, and I'm actually surprised it would try and start at that point. I see 11.6 and I'm assuming that is the culprit. Sounds like you fixed the immediate problem, but I'd check that battery a couple of times now that it's properly grounded and see if it stays low.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #624 on: October 15, 2018, 12:28:09 PM »
I'm actually starting to have some transmission issues.  Seems like my car is slipping specifically with going from first to second gear and specifically early while driving.  My coworker is very good with cars so I told him and drive him around to see, he thinks and checked that my transmission fluid is a bit low which would explain why the slipping stops happening once the car warms up.  I got some Honda fluid that should be here today and will put some in to fill it up, but if this is the culprit, I guess the question then comes, where did the fluid go? Do I have some leak?  He said that's a self contained system so you shouldn't typically run low on it.  This also seemed to start happening after I drove through some flooded roads.  Wondering if something happened during that.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #625 on: October 15, 2018, 05:53:06 PM »
He is right, it's a closed system and shouldn't leak. I'd take a flashlight, jack the car up and look for fluid. Check the honda forums for typical leak locations. Also check your garage floor for leaks.

So in other news my mustang still hasn't started to be built yet. I'm starting to worry that I won't get it until January now. In the meantime I've started work on restoring my current car (bmw). The weather is nice and I'm finding myself bored on the weekends so I'm slowly redoing everything. This weekends agenda: find out why my rear defroster stopped working all of a sudden, sadly it's not the fuse :(

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #626 on: October 15, 2018, 07:12:37 PM »
11.6 is way low, and I'm actually surprised it would try and start at that point. I see 11.6 and I'm assuming that is the culprit. Sounds like you fixed the immediate problem, but I'd check that battery a couple of times now that it's properly grounded and see if it stays low.

It's funny you say that, because I thought 11.6 would at least give me a click, or even a whirr, even if it wasn't enough to actually turn over.   At the VERY least, the dash lights would dim.  Nothing like that.   BUT, my stepson said that some of the BMWs have a relay that won't let the system fire under a certain amperage so that the non-mechanical circuits - like the ECU and EWS - don't get fried.  (I know, I know, volts/amps, but Ohm's Law.).  So yeah, I ruled it out and I shouldn't have.  I haven't checked it since I did the work, but I'll throw a meter on it quick tomorrow.

But I did start the post with "dumb luck", so there's that. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #627 on: October 16, 2018, 07:50:08 AM »
He is right, it's a closed system and shouldn't leak. I'd take a flashlight, jack the car up and look for fluid. Check the honda forums for typical leak locations. Also check your garage floor for leaks.

So in other news my mustang still hasn't started to be built yet. I'm starting to worry that I won't get it until January now. In the meantime I've started work on restoring my current car (bmw). The weather is nice and I'm finding myself bored on the weekends so I'm slowly redoing everything. This weekends agenda: find out why my rear defroster stopped working all of a sudden, sadly it's not the fuse :(

I haven't noticed and leakage from my car parked in the work lot when i leave at night or my drive way in the morning.  I put some in this morning after letting the car run for awhile so it was hot, apparently I was told the enjoy should be warmed up before putting some in.  Car drove the best it has this morning but then again, it was already warmed up which seems to be the case anyway so I can't seem to really say if there is an improvement just yet.  I'm supposed to make the 4 hour drive to PA this weekend with my friend for the Metallica concert so it would be nice if this worked to just ease my mind.  I don't think my car would have an issue with the drive, but I'd feel more comfortable about it not failing in the middle of no where.

And whats up with the delay in the mustang, do they give you a reason why its taking so long?

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #628 on: October 16, 2018, 06:55:10 PM »
You hear any clunking or is it just slipping?

Truth be told they aren’t too late with the car. They said it’d be around October when it starts getting built. Reading the forums and a whole lot goes into when and how they pick up your order. Dealer allocation is one thing and also they build packages together.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #629 on: October 16, 2018, 09:05:47 PM »
I'm actually starting to have some transmission issues.  Seems like my car is slipping specifically with going from first to second gear and specifically early while driving.  My coworker is very good with cars so I told him and drive him around to see, he thinks and checked that my transmission fluid is a bit low which would explain why the slipping stops happening once the car warms up.  I got some Honda fluid that should be here today and will put some in to fill it up, but if this is the culprit, I guess the question then comes, where did the fluid go? Do I have some leak?  He said that's a self contained system so you shouldn't typically run low on it.  This also seemed to start happening after I drove through some flooded roads.  Wondering if something happened during that.
Your car is a '10, which means it very likely has some sort of manual shift mode. Maybe, move the PRNDL left and then +/-, up or down, or something like that (pretty sure that's how mine works). Excellent for diagnosing possible tranny problems. If it starts slipping again when it's cold, use that to make controlled shifts between 1st and 2nd and see if it's repeatable. Likewise, see if it happens going from 2nd to 3rd and so forth. Hell, start in 5th from a complete stop and see what happens.

There are dozens of things that will cause a tranny to slip when it's cold, and a fluid leak is the only one that isn't a catastrophe.  At the same time, there are plenty of other things that feel like a transmission problem that aren't. Every time I've ever thought I was having transmission issues it turned out to be something different.
E.F. Benson