Author Topic: Anything related to automobiles  (Read 100459 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Anything related to automobiles
« Reply #560 on: June 12, 2018, 09:44:15 AM »
Well that’s what I was thinking. There was a brief moment I was considering leasing a hellcat challenger as it’s monthly price is the same as my finance cost of the mustang. I just don’t like the looks as much and 700hp is a bit overkill. The gt is even overkill but I love he sound of the v8

My father-in-law and brother-in-law have Challengers (well, BIL has a Charger) and my stepson is trying to egg one of them on to get a Hellcat.  That's an assload of car right there.   It is overkill, but like my grandma always said, if it's worth doing, it's worth over-doing.

I remember I crashed my 280Z into a tree back in '89 (I yearn for that car today) and had to buy something, and it was down to a '82 320i (First gen E21) or an '85 Mustang with the V8.   On a straight line that Mustang was hot, but if I had to make ANY turns, it was as loose as... you can use your own analogy there.   I might have been gunshy after my crash, but I thought the Mustang would be my last car ever if I bought it so I went with the BMW.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #561 on: June 13, 2018, 07:54:26 AM »
Update:  Spent Saturday feeling dejected, and mulled over the situation repeatedly.  I decided to finish the job myself, and after little more than an hour Sunday I replaced the right front strut with no issues at all.  The CV boot issue remains, so I sealed the crack with a bunch of bathroom caulk and duct tape, and dropped the car off at a Volvo shop Sunday night.  I feel much better completing what i planned on.  Now I'm waiting for a call this morning from the mechanic.

My appreciation and admiration for you knows no bounds at this point.   That's my kind of guy, right there.  Get the job done, hook or by crook. 
Thats really encouraging to hear, since I was questioning my self worth as a human being by the end of the first day, lol.

Maybe I mentioned it in the first post on this subject, but I gave the mechanic a heads-up friday afternoon, so he was actually prepared to work on it Monday morning.  I gave him a list of 4 items:

1) CV boots (I noticed cracking on the right axle boot too), and likely a rebuild.

2) Sway bar end links (I just could not get the nuts to budge, even with the old two-wrench cheater bar.  Its funny watching youtube videos of people taking them off with an 8 inch box wrench and 4 inch allen key.)

3) Wheel alignment

4) Re-seal body seam on drivers side floor.  This is because I have had my carpeting removed for almost 2 months due to a leaky sun roof drain, and my feet have rubbed some of the sealant off.

He was able to complete items 1 2 and 3 on Monday, and told me to just use some RTV silicone on the floor seam, which I did yesterday during lunch at work (fortunately we have a well stocked general shop here).  Both axles were reconditioned and greased with new boots, end links replaced, and alignment completed.  There is really only a toe adjustment for front and rear, however there is enough clearance in the upper strut mount holes to allow some camber adjustment.  The mechanic uses an alignment shop down the block from him, and he spoke very highly of them.  They were able to get camber, caster and toe within spec.  All for $565.  Since an alignment anywhere is about $100, I figure $465 isn't bad for "new" axles.  Buying new non-Volvo axles would have cost about $700 (new Volvo axles are like $600 each..), and that's installing them myself.

All in, this weekend's repair adventures cost just shy of $1200.  And I still have to do the timing belt... :mehlin

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #562 on: June 13, 2018, 11:45:19 AM »
Bleghh. What’s the timing belt service like on the Volvo. I remember doing the belt in my golf years ago and it was was a huge pain in the ass.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #563 on: June 13, 2018, 02:49:23 PM »
I've read about it ad nauseum, and I know exactly what to do.  However, if I fuck something up like i did with the suspension, it wont be as easy to recover from.  I would end up having to have it towed, or something.

The tensioner pulley also looks finicky.  There is an eccentric bolt with some indicators that need to align properly before tightening.  I think this might also be temperature dependent*.  I Figure I could mark the current belt with corresponding teeth on the cam and crank pulleys then transfer those marks to the new belts, but there are prob a dozen ways that could go wrong that i can't even think of.

*Edit:

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: June 13, 2018, 05:50:50 PM »
I marked the belt when I did the change, I used red nail polish and it worked well. I don't envy you Jasc, it was a huge pain

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #565 on: June 14, 2018, 02:25:30 PM »
So work car (04 Prius) took a shit on me a few weeks ago and has been out of commission. Someone from my main office was supposed to pick it up and bring me another car (car runs and drives). He came up and left without the car saying it wouldn't start (Which I call BS on as it started right up the next day).

Finally Tuesday, big boss man was up for meetings, and decided to have me take the car in. I wanted to take it to the Toyota Dealer (as it's an issue with the hybrid system... and I know you don't want people fucking with it unless they know what they're doing).

Nope. An employee suggests an independent shop he goes to. Boss says take it there. ASAP.

ANNNNNNND battery was dead. So yesterday morning, we jumped it, and then had it towed to the next town over to this shop. We had already given them details of the problem over the phone, so a guy (who I just learned is the new owner) took the key and my info, and said he'd call me.

That was 9AM yesterday. Finally at noon today, I called them as I never got a call back. The woman in the office told me that they checked the issue out first thing in the morning (they open at 7:30 AM) and that she could call me back in 10 minutes with a quote. I asked if she could email me the details and the quote, so I can forward it out to my boss word for word. She said sure and  took and verified my email address as well as phone number (my personal number, not the office number, so I know I can deal with this as soon as possible).

It's now 1:30 and no call, no email.

Am I being impatient or is my frustration valid? Literally all they have to do is run the code and tell me what it says.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #566 on: June 14, 2018, 05:15:18 PM »
Little from column A, little from column B. But mostly A. Everything you're describing is pretty normal. If the tech had already diagnosed it and the gal was supposed to email it right away I'd certainly follow up, though. More likely he hadn't pulled the codes and she was bullshitting you. Or, she might have left for the day. That happened to me a couple of months ago.

Two things I'll throw out. One, running the codes doesn't tell you "replace this part and it'll be fine." It tells you what's happening and then you have to figure out why. Some are certainly more informative than others, but they're very seldom conclusive. Think of it as going to the doctor because you feel like death. He takes some blood and some wiz and has it tested. "Oh, looks like your red blood cell count is way too low." OK, what does that mean? "Oh, any number of things, really." And how do we fix it? "Well, that depends on what's causing it, of course." You now know very generally what's wrong, but why and what to do about it still are still question marks.

The second thing is that you might not have had any better experience dealing with the Toyota dealer. Their communication is often times really crappy, and it  takes some time to get to all of the cars they lined up. Then you have to sort out what the actual problem is and all of the other problems that they think they see.

Car repairs always suck.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jasc15

« Reply #567 on: June 15, 2018, 08:32:40 AM »
I wanted to take it to the Toyota Dealer (as it's an issue with the hybrid system... and I know you don't want people fucking with it unless they know what they're doing).

This is whats keeping me from getting a hybrid.  We bought a new car about a year and a half ago and I briefly considered a hybrid then, but decided against it.  A few years ago, my reason was that the technology wasn't mature enough, but I can't use that excuse anymore..  However, that is still partially true when it comes to servicing.  Industry is very slow to change, and auto repair shops other than dealers won't likely have hybrid familiarity for probably a decade or more.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #568 on: June 15, 2018, 08:51:45 AM »
I wanted to take it to the Toyota Dealer (as it's an issue with the hybrid system... and I know you don't want people fucking with it unless they know what they're doing).

This is whats keeping me from getting a hybrid.  We bought a new car about a year and a half ago and I briefly considered a hybrid then, but decided against it.  A few years ago, my reason was that the technology wasn't mature enough, but I can't use that excuse anymore..  However, that is still partially true when it comes to servicing.  Industry is very slow to change, and auto repair shops other than dealers won't likely have hybrid familiarity for probably a decade or more.

I have  it on good account that even the dealers that sell those vehicles don't yet have a good understanding of those machines.   Yeah, we have codes, yeah, cars are more complicated than they ever were, but even so, there is 75 years of experience in terms of what el Barto was saying about "finding the cause".   You can tell by sounds, how it runs, what it smells like, etc. etc. and get to an answer.   The four-stroke engine isn't rocket science.    But with some of these hybrids, you are now in uncharted territory, and the guys with 40 years experience are just as in the dark as the new kid fresh out of tech school.    I know in talking to my son, he hates them because to him it's "not working on a car", it's like working on a refrigerator.  Just another appliance. 

Offline jasc15

« Reply #569 on: June 15, 2018, 09:00:33 AM »
I have  it on good account that even the dealers that sell those vehicles don't yet have a good understanding of those machines.

Yeah, I don't doubt that at all.  Maybe they at least have better access to the mothership where the folks who do understand it reside.  Maybe not.  Perhaps I still have some false impression of dealers that, while they are usually 50-100% more expensive, they are better equipped to deal with make-specific issues.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: June 15, 2018, 09:11:45 AM »
I have  it on good account that even the dealers that sell those vehicles don't yet have a good understanding of those machines.

Yeah, I don't doubt that at all.  Maybe they at least have better access to the mothership where the folks who do understand it reside.  Maybe not.  Perhaps I still have some false impression of dealers that, while they are usually 50-100% more expensive, they are better equipped to deal with make-specific issues.

Oh, I absolutely agree with you on that last point, generally, but I think hybrids specifically are a different breed.   It's new to EVERYBODY to some degree.   My beef with dealers isn't their knowledge, but their motivations.   My son's bosses aren't former mechanics, but business-men.  Your local shop?  The ultimate boss is likely a mechanic first and a reluctant business man second.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #571 on: June 15, 2018, 09:30:51 AM »
A close friend's father managed the service department of a Nissan dealer at a time I was buying an Altima.  Even being a friend, and even being in service rather than sales, he still took their side to some extent when I was trying to negotiate my price.  That's when I realized that service departments are just another arm of sales for a dealer.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #572 on: June 15, 2018, 09:40:53 AM »
A close friend's father managed the service department of a Nissan dealer at a time I was buying an Altima.  Even being a friend, and even being in service rather than sales, he still took their side to some extent when I was trying to negotiate my price.  That's when I realized that service departments are just another arm of sales for a dealer.
Yup. That's not entirely a bad thing, though. My mom took her car to a Nissan dealer 45 miles away and their diagnosis was likely to run up to about $3k. A bent crossbeam had pushed the radiator back damaging the radiator, condenser, and a few other things. Her service salesman (advisor is bullshit) actually worked out a very comprehensive quote using aftermarket parts and cut their labor rate down to that of an independent ($85/hr). She was out about $1700 when it was all said and done, and that included some other work as well. He told her that maintenance, while not exactly a loss-leader, wasn't there to make tons of money. They were there to build loyalty. If they can get rich at the same time that's great, but not at the expense of a potential longterm customer.

Having said that, I don't think there's anyway I talk a dealer into using aftermarket parts. A lot of this was very likely the little old lady factor. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jasc15

« Reply #573 on: June 18, 2018, 08:07:50 AM »
Last week I noticed one of my engine mounts was shot.  Its consistent with a particular rattle sound i hear coming from that side of the engine bay during idle.  I got an OEM part on amazon for $98 and will prob change it out this coming weekend.  In the process, since it is right near the timing belt and actually needs to be removed to replace it, I will do  bit of a dry run and get a good look at tool clearances, etc.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: June 18, 2018, 12:29:36 PM »
Update on my work Prius:

Finally got a response from the shop later that day. They said hybrid battery (as well as the aux battery) needed to be replaced.

Sent my boss the quote... he had a mini heart attack.... 10 minutes later he's calling me telling me that his mechanic will do it for $1k less. So Friday another employee and I picked up the car from the shop, paid the $50 diagnostic fee, and then drove it the 70 miles to this other shop with the check engine light and the massive hybrid system warning light flashing, dropped it off, caught a ride to our main office, and drove back with what looks like an identical Prius (Just a year newer and 10k miles less).

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jasc15

« Reply #575 on: June 18, 2018, 03:28:34 PM »
Yikes. So what's the bill for hybrid battery replacement?

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: June 19, 2018, 09:59:28 AM »
Yikes. So what's the bill for hybrid battery replacement?

So the first shop is charging $2800 total for the hybrid battery and aux battery including labor.

My boss's shop will do it for like $1700.

First shop would be using a refurbed battery. Boss's shop will put in a certified "used" battery.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Nathan Explosion

« Reply #577 on: June 21, 2018, 09:38:04 PM »
This is my current project vehicle, a 1995 Chevy G20 Gladiator with a 350 V8. My late Grandpa bought it new in April, 1996, he passed away in June, 1999, 2 months latter with 31k miles on the clock my Grandma traded it in for a car.

17 years and two different owners latter, in October 2016, with the help of it's vin number which I had found on her dealership paperwork and my states free internal vin check service, I found out it had recently been traded into a used car business which was named in the vin report, (up until then all the report would say was "Private Owner"), and I ended up buying it back from them with 124k miles on the clock. It's got tons of sentimental value and I'm glad to have it back.

It's a little strange yet cool listening on it's radio to Dream Theater or any other music I got into after 1999, because I don't mentally associate the Chevy with those bands or songs, because of my set in stone memories of it as a kid in the late 90s.

I've been doing alot of work fixing it up, just finished replacing the exhaust with new Walker piping and a Flowmaster Super 44, now it's on to replacing the rear drum brakes.

Me, 5, the day Grandpa surprised me with it after school.:

January 2017:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:00:41 PM by Nathan Explosion »

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: June 22, 2018, 05:21:16 AM »
Damn that thing looks like it's in good shape still.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #579 on: June 22, 2018, 06:28:42 AM »
That's so cool. Any pics of the interior/back area?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #580 on: June 22, 2018, 06:52:56 AM »

Sorry, that view is reserved exclusively for the ladies.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: June 22, 2018, 08:35:27 AM »
That's a bad-ass van, and a bad-ass story.  Very cool.

I've been on that kick a little myself.   I need a second car (kids!) and started looking for my favorite car growing up - the Datsun Z-car (260, 280, not the 300 or later) - and it's ridiculous.  First, it seems like it must have been a law requiring owners to shoe-horn small block Detroit engines into those cars.  No thanks.  The original Datsun six cylinder engines were more than adequate, and moved that car pretty good.  It's a heavy car to start with, and ramming that engine in there can't be that big a performance boom.  I think it's testosterone, frankly.  Then I looked for my first car ever, a huge Buick Centurian convertible, with a 455 V8.  Because of the convertible, it too was a heavy car, with the reinforced A-frame.   It was 0-60 in about 7.5 - 8 days, but it would also cruise for 1000 miles at 75 without breaking a sweat.   Hard to find in any kind of decent shape, and forget about trying to get a top in mint condition without tapping the college fund. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: June 22, 2018, 09:44:03 AM »
Gah

One of the first things I'd do if I became wealthy overnight would be to find myself a '80 280 and restore it. Black with red interior.

My first car memories are cruising around in that with my dad when I was little. I used to think it looked like a space ship, and would pretend to be my dad's copilot on a ship fighting the Borg.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Nathan Explosion

« Reply #583 on: June 22, 2018, 09:51:29 AM »
Damn that thing looks like it's in good shape still.
I need to fix some rust, mainly under the bay windows and a few other spots,  but it's held up better than others I've seen.

That's a bad-ass van, and a bad-ass story.  Very cool.

Thanks! There's a new show on Velocity you might like called JDM legends, they worked on an older 240Z. I agree I think the original engine or at least an engine from the same manufacturer is best. Good luck on your search!

It has the L05 throttle body injected 350

[quote
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 09:58:17 AM by Nathan Explosion »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #584 on: June 22, 2018, 10:39:30 AM »
It's still so clean!   

If you don't want to share, that's cool, but do you mind telling us what you bought it back for? Did you tell the dealership your story?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #585 on: June 22, 2018, 10:56:24 AM »
Cool story and cool van.

@Stadler. If memory serves you and I had the exact same car. Silver 2x2 non-turbo with the T-tops. It wouldn't surprise me if the motor jobs were because the originals went up in smoke. That was not an engine that was going to get 300k and they're some old-ass cars. I know mine eventually seized up, and there were some chronic problems with the things. How many injectors did you have to replace?  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline Nathan Explosion

« Reply #586 on: June 22, 2018, 02:34:04 PM »
It's still so clean!   

If you don't want to share, that's cool, but do you mind telling us what you bought it back for? Did you tell the dealership your story?
It was $24,500 when new in 96, I got it for $1,350 out the door. Yeah I did, although it was a buy here pay here type place, it had that typical used car lot feel.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: June 22, 2018, 08:49:30 PM »
Goddamn that's a good deal for something that looks as clean as it does.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #588 on: June 27, 2018, 07:18:44 AM »
Elon Musk has said on Twitter that the Tesla pickup truck will have a 300,000 pound towing capacity... A Dodge Ram 3500 has a 31,000 pound capacity. I thought you couldn't exceed 80,000 pounds on roads?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #589 on: June 27, 2018, 08:30:37 AM »
Elon Musk has said on Twitter that the Tesla pickup truck will have a 300,000 pound towing capacity... A Dodge Ram 3500 has a 31,000 pound capacity. I thought you couldn't exceed 80,000 pounds on roads?
You can't drive over 80 anywhere in America, but cars can routine exceed 130. He's just touting what his vehicles can actually do. Also, it's possible that farmers might be interested in the greater towing capacity.
E.F. Benson

Offline jasc15

« Reply #590 on: June 27, 2018, 02:12:34 PM »
The Model S accelerates to 100kph in 2.3 seconds in Ludicrous mode.  Thats 1.23 g's, or a thrust of 5716 lb (1.23g x 4647 lb).

A 300,000 lb trailer with rolling resistance of 0.02, the required thrust is 6000 lb.

Sounds about right.

In theory, then, any car with a similar weight and acceleration performance could tow a 300,000 lb trailer.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #591 on: June 28, 2018, 03:46:15 PM »
Cool story and cool van.

@Stadler. If memory serves you and I had the exact same car. Silver 2x2 non-turbo with the T-tops. It wouldn't surprise me if the motor jobs were because the originals went up in smoke. That was not an engine that was going to get 300k and they're some old-ass cars. I know mine eventually seized up, and there were some chronic problems with the things. How many injectors did you have to replace?  :lol

Good call with the injectors; I went through them like popcorn. I also went through transmissions; I was on my third when I crashed.  I forget how many miles I had on it...   The only thing I was missing was the t-tops.  I had the regular hard top roof (but the dude before me put in a sunroof). 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #592 on: June 28, 2018, 06:30:42 PM »
Cool story and cool van.

Good call with the injectors; I went through them like popcorn. I also went through transmissions; I was on my third when I crashed.  I forget how many miles I had on it...   The only thing I was missing was the t-tops.  I had the regular hard top roof (but the dude before me put in a sunroof).
T-tops were one of the dumbest ideas ever. You weren't missing much. I recall that my tranny was starting to go bad, but it didn't crap out before the rest of the car. Was your crash stupidity related? It sure seemed to bring out the worst in me. I never crashed mine but that kick-ass front end was mostly responsible for that. Probably saved my life once.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #593 on: June 29, 2018, 01:18:10 PM »
Cool story and cool van.

T-tops were one of the dumbest ideas ever. You weren't missing much. I recall that my tranny was starting to go bad, but it didn't crap out before the rest of the car. Was your crash stupidity related? It sure seemed to bring out the worst in me. I never crashed mine but that kick-ass front end was mostly responsible for that. Probably saved my life once.

Yeah, stupidity with a  dash of dumb (bad) luck.   Too much  speed, not enough road.  Lost control, overcorrected, and left the road (oddly, to the left; physics says I should have gone off the road to the right).  At that point I lost steering and braking and momentum just took me into a tree head on.  I walked away (broken nose, two black eyes, cuts on my legs, and bruises to my ego) and the cop wanted to give me a breath test because I told him I was driving.   He was sure that the driver was in the car and couldn't have survived, but he couldn't with all the blood.   I have pictures of the wreck; I'll try to post them.   

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #594 on: June 30, 2018, 04:35:01 AM »
It's still so clean!   

It was $24,500 when new in 96, I got it for $1,350 out the door. Yeah I did, although it was a buy here pay here type place, it had that typical used car lot feel.

That's a great deal for that van, even without the sentimental value you attached to it. I bet it's nice to have that car back, congrats!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey