Author Topic: Anything related to automobiles  (Read 100463 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Anything related to automobiles
« on: April 04, 2012, 12:23:04 PM »
Seeing as we don't have a thread like this, I figured I'd start one. In this thread we can discuss anything that is going on in the car world.

I'd like to start with the newly unveiled Dodge Viper.

I think it looks amazing, almost like a Viper, Corvetter, Ferrari hybrid, but I have never really been a fan of the Viper in the past. I'd love to drive one in a straight line as fast as I could, but that's about it. I couldn't find a price, but I'd think it would be in the $90k range. There are many other car's I'd prefer to have that are less expensive.

https://money.cnn.com/2012/04/04/autos/viper-srt-new-york-auto-show/index.htm

The Dodge Viper has been out of production since 2010 but Chrysler Group unveiled a new version, powered by a huge 8.4 liter V10 engine, at the New York Auto Show Wednesday.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Anything related to automobiles
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 01:07:54 PM »
That's a sweet looking car.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 01:08:50 PM »
Wow I thought the Viper was completely discontinued.  Pretty sweet.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 02:24:12 PM »
It looks like it's got that goofy looking Corvette ass end.  Not a fan.

And in this day and age, I always have to wonder how many distinct steps have to be taken to reel off a fast 0-60 time. 

It's interesting.  I occasionally wonder what kind of car I'd buy if I had unlimited funds, and even if I could afford a new Lamborghini, I think I'd still probably wind up buying a '98 or so M3.  It kind of seems to me like the late '90s are where you reached a pinnacle of having modern, safe and luxurious cars, that were still full blown sports cars at heart.  Everything nowadays is too high-tech for it's own good. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 04:12:58 PM »
I went to the DMV today and renewed my tabs. Then they told me I was due for new plates. After that I bought a new frame for my new plates

For some odd reason, I love renewing the tabs

And in regards to El Barto, if I had unlimited funds, I'd buy the new Ford Explorer. Sharp looking vehicle although I like the older models too
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 09:59:12 AM »
Not a bad looking viper, I was able to drive an RT10 a few years back (hrmm more like 7 years ago I think) and while it's a beast, it's a bitch to drive so day to day would be a hassle.

I drove a countach that a neighbor had also a few years ago and that thing was impossible to drive, it looked fantastic tho.

Unlimited funds I'd probably do a brand new M3, I've been debating picking up a used M3 something from the V8 era or a 335i of the same year but I just haven't had the time to drive them. Those are some gorgeous cars tho.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 11:38:18 AM »
Seeing as we don't have a thread like this, I figured I'd start one. In this thread we can discuss anything that is going on in the car world.

I'd like to start with the newly unveiled Dodge Viper.

I think it looks amazing, almost like a Viper, Corvetter, Ferrari hybrid, but I have never really been a fan of the Viper in the past. I'd love to drive one in a straight line as fast as I could, but that's about it. I couldn't find a price, but I'd think it would be in the $90k range. There are many other car's I'd prefer to have that are less expensive.

https://money.cnn.com/2012/04/04/autos/viper-srt-new-york-auto-show/index.htm

The Dodge Viper has been out of production since 2010 but Chrysler Group unveiled a new version, powered by a huge 8.4 liter V10 engine, at the New York Auto Show Wednesday.

I once had sexual relations with a brunette chick named Cherry in her Dodge Viper (this was long before I met my wife). She was stunning. Met her at a conference. A group of us went out afterward with some locals and drove to a sports bar and got hammered. She asked me if I could drive back to the hotel. I was much less hammered than she, and against better judgement, drove her Viper anyway back to my hotel. In the garage, the engine had barley been shut off, when she said to me "My boyfriend doesn't give me what I need", and pulled her dress off, then climbed into my lap. I would have never guessed you could have sex in the drivers seat of a Viper, but we did.  :biggrin: She was really drunk, so what I wound up thinking of mostly about half way through was "Man...this is really an awesome car!" and shortly thereafter "Once she's finished I'm gonna take her into my room and do this the right way."  :biggrin: Ahhh...good times.

Back to cars...I want the new Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4

https://www.aventador.com/
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 01:42:21 PM »
Not a bad looking viper, I was able to drive an RT10 a few years back (hrmm more like 7 years ago I think) and while it's a beast, it's a bitch to drive so day to day would be a hassle.

I drove a countach that a neighbor had also a few years ago and that thing was impossible to drive, it looked fantastic tho.

What made the Countach and Viper difficult to drive? I imagine the clutch would be stiff as a brick on both of those.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 01:49:06 PM »
I doubt there's a clutch at all on those.  My guess regarding difficulty is that they're overpowered.  I used to drive a friends IROC Z, and without any traction control you'd wind up spitting gravel all over the car behind you without going anywhere.  I didn't driver hers enough to master it, but I suppose you would, and that's where the fun is; learning to keep it at the threshold. 

The other thing is handling.  Most of us are used to FF or FR cars, and once you move all the weight to the back, the handling becomes something completely different than what you expect.  Awesome when you learn to work with it, dangerous as hell for a novice.  As my mechanic is fond of saying, the most dangerous thing you can ever do in a 911 is use the brakes.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Fuzzboy

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 01:58:46 PM »
the countach and viper have always been manuals actually. I didn't consider massive amounts of wheelspin though
women cops are a joke

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 05:15:39 PM »

What made the Countach and Viper difficult to drive? I imagine the clutch would be stiff as a brick on both of those.

The Viper was hard simply because I just wasn't used to that much power, it was also a little damp from rain so the tires would spin at every opportunity (had slicks on with two small grooves, don't know how those tires were legal). I was 18 at the time and it just overwhelmed the shit out of me. 

The main issue with the countach was shifting gears, it was some serious work and it really caught me off guard how hard the clutch, moving the shifter felt like pushing a block with your hand. No creature comforts which is fine until I realized that the windows were actually little square holes, and this was in Florida during the summer and the countach was black.

If I owned an RT10 I could get used to and use that thing a few times a week. As for the countach, well you'd really have to love that car to be able to drive it day to day IMO.

By comparison driving a 911 was a piece of cake.

Offline Fuzzboy

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 08:10:00 AM »
I know Jay Leno had a Countach as a daily driver for a long ass time. don't know how the guy did it.
women cops are a joke

Offline Cable

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 09:41:50 AM »
I do not like this new Viper.

I loved the original 1st generation from 1992 or whatever, then the slight redesign and making it more street drivable (power windows/steering etc.)
I also loved the redesign to 3rd and 4th generation that tamed some of the angles so to speak, but brought back the door exhaust and keeping the near exotic look. I think the C6 Vette highly borrowed design ques from this generation.

This 5th generation looks like the C6 Vette that ripped from the 3rd gen Viper.
Further, if I could buy one, I would NEVER get a hardtop, performance be damned. This car has always looked better as a droptop IMO.

How can a handful of people on this forum actually have driven/owned Vipers, or even driven cars more expensive? Do people here have that much $$$? Owning one of these cars was a pipe dream I gave many many years ago. And to me, owning a drag car is never worth it in the US because of all of the laws and remoteness of strips.

If I get extra money, I will do the off-roading thing...cheaper and more unpredictable, but that is just me I suppose.  :biggrin:
---

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 09:47:53 AM »
I didn't own one. At the time I worked as an accountant for a real estate office as a side job while I went to school. The owner's husband owned one and he knew I loved cars so he just let me drive it.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 10:30:31 AM »
What are all of your thoughts on the new VW Beetle? Personally, I love it. I don't know why. It's not like it's all different than the previous gen. I guess I think it just looks a little more manly. The interior got a seriously sweet overhaul. No more flower vase  :tup

Offline Omega

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 10:38:17 AM »
I hate Beetles. Girly.
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 07:47:27 PM »
I think it looks good, soon it'll be one with the 911 again lol

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 06:51:28 PM »
Any thoughts on the 2005 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe?  I'm going for a test drive in an hour.  28k miles, automatic ( :censored) and it's gorgeous. Blue exterior, black interior with blue highlights, leather seats. Asking $16k.

Any serious problems I should be aware of?  I'm not walking away with the car tonight, just wanted to drive it for the heck of it, but with my 99 Mustang V6 at 183k miles, I'm looking for a replacement.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 07:01:36 PM »
Any serious problems I should be aware of?
You mean aside from it being a Ford?

I rented a Mustang around 05 or so, and thought it was a pretty lousy car.  Not comfortable and not fast.  I recall thinking the transmission sucked, as well.  I'm sure the GT will be a better car, but still not my bag.  I rented a vert around 08 or so and thought it was a much better car.  Still nothing great, but I certainly didn't hate it like the first one.
E.F. Benson

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 07:14:09 PM »
Yeah, I've read reports that the V6 transmission had some issues. Coming from my current car, I think it would be a huge step up.  Any suggestions for similar cars that might get me better bang for my buck?  I wouldn't mind dropping below a 4.0L to save on insurance either.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2012, 07:49:59 PM »
Unlimited funds I'd probably do a brand new M3, I've been debating picking up a used M3 something from the V8 era or a 335i of the same year but I just haven't had the time to drive them. Those are some gorgeous cars tho.

I'm looking at getting an E46 right now. My insurance for it is going to be slightly ludicrous...

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2012, 11:17:00 PM »
Yeah, I've read reports that the V6 transmission had some issues. Coming from my current car, I think it would be a huge step up.  Any suggestions for similar cars that might get me better bang for my buck?  I wouldn't mind dropping below a 4.0L to save on insurance either.
I wouldn't put too much stock in my experience with the car.  Keep in mind it was a low end Mustang I got from Dollar Rent a Car.  Mostly I'm just ragging on it because it's a Ford.  If you're a Mustang kinda guy, don't let me dissuade you. 

There actually do seem to be a lot of people posting about problems with the Mustang tranny, but honestly, you'll see that with any automatic transmission. 
E.F. Benson

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2012, 11:26:07 PM »
My gfs dad just bought an 05 mustang GT and he loves it.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 12:20:22 AM »
Well, I test drove it.

I hate it.  The guy modded it with everything you can think of, cosmetically.  New bumpers, completely redesigned interior.  It looks great actually.  But it drives poorly.  It appeared to be lowered a bit, because the suspension felt stiff and bumpy.  It also confirmed that with any kind of car with decent power, a manual transmission is required.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2012, 05:21:34 PM »
My 99 Mustang just bit the bullet.  I had just put a tune on it from American Muscle/BAMA and shortly after loading it (20 miles tops) head gasket blew.  Engine is toast, and they want $3500 to replace it.  Not gonna happen, considering that's how much I paid for the car several years ago. 

I got my motorcycle, so I'm not in a rush to get a new car, but I'll either be buying a used car in cash ($5k tops) or a newer used car from a dealership on a loan.

Any suggestions?  I'd like to have a 4 door since the Mustang had horrible seating room in the back.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2012, 05:22:46 PM »
Call me old fashioned/hick/back country, but I just want a nice truck. A Ford F-150, but not the fucking feminine ones they're making now.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2012, 11:17:35 AM »
I'm considering a 2012 Mazda 3 i Touring with their new Skyactiv engine.  Looks really sweet, and despite it being a compact car, it's got more room (and two more doors) than my Mustang.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2012, 08:53:34 AM »
I have a 2004 Mazda 3 hatchback. Other than a well known $1550.00 defect that I had to eat,  I love the car. I just passed 132,000 miles a few days ago and it's still running pretty good.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2012, 01:47:36 PM »
My 99 Mustang just bit the bullet.  I had just put a tune on it from American Muscle/BAMA and shortly after loading it (20 miles tops) head gasket blew.  Engine is toast, and they want $3500 to replace it.  Not gonna happen, considering that's how much I paid for the car several years ago. 

I got my motorcycle, so I'm not in a rush to get a new car, but I'll either be buying a used car in cash ($5k tops) or a newer used car from a dealership on a loan.

Any suggestions?  I'd like to have a 4 door since the Mustang had horrible seating room in the back.
That sounds like dealership prices.  You shouldn't have to pay nearly that much for a head gasket on that car.  Hell, if nothing else you can just buy an engine to put in there.  Those cars are ubiquitous, and every day some stupid kid rolls his 22 times and coughs up a perfectly good engine into the great material continuum. 

If you want a different car, obviously I'm going to recommend a BMW.  $5k can buy you a perfectly nice ride out there. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2012, 01:51:34 PM »

Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4
700bhp, 690lb-ft of torque
Top speed of 217mph
0-62mph in 2.9 seconds
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2012, 04:58:32 PM »
I don't have any interest in cars but I like watching Top Gear. BBC one only.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2012, 10:57:57 PM »

That sounds like dealership prices.  You shouldn't have to pay nearly that much for a head gasket on that car.  Hell, if nothing else you can just buy an engine to put in there.  Those cars are ubiquitous, and every day some stupid kid rolls his 22 times and coughs up a perfectly good engine into the great material continuum. 

If you want a different car, obviously I'm going to recommend a BMW.  $5k can buy you a perfectly nice ride out there.

That quote was for parts and labor for a new engine install, not just a head gasket.  While I'm sure I could have gotten by for a bit with an engine flush and a new gasket, the car already had 182k miles and had numerous problems.  12V outlets shorting out, dome light perpetually on (removed bulb as a fix), both headers cracked, etc.  Rather than throw down a bunch of money to put off the inevitable, I figured I'd put the same amount into a new car with a factory warranty. 

I finalized the price for my Mazda 3 this evening as well.  Got it exactly how I want it in color and options.  Negotiated them to $1400 under dealer invoice as well.  They're picking it up from the port and detailing it tomorrow, so it'll be as brand new as it can be.  I'm really excited!  :caffeine:

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2012, 10:34:26 PM »
I drive an 02 Mitsubishi Gallant

How good or bad a car would you people say it is?

Also, I have a question for anyone able to answer:

Why did some of the Japanese companies stop regularly making sports cars like the Supra, Celica, RX-7, GT-3000, MR-2, S-2000, ect? 

It seem like Mitsubishi and Subaru are the only ones that even play up their 'sporty' image anymore, as far as I know. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 10:40:18 PM by MasterShakezula »

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2012, 11:36:52 PM »
Shake... Look up the RX-8
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2012, 12:16:38 AM »
I know of the RX-8.

Going to its wiki page, I found out it died out in 2011.

I'm surprised it lasted that long; I thought it had been discontinued years ago.

Wonderful car, I must say.