Author Topic: DT and "That Metal Show"...  (Read 11876 times)

Offline vulcandj

• There's too many notes.
DT and "That Metal Show"...
« on: April 03, 2012, 02:24:03 PM »
I watched the Season opener of "That Metal Show" over the weekend, and MP was playing drums between segments. And it got me thinking.....Does anyone think that Eddie Trunk would ever another member of DT on there? I know that he and MP are close, and because of that he might not even consider it. Just wondered what others thought about this.
So I say to the horse, "why the long face?"....

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: DT and "That Metal Show"...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 02:27:16 PM »
I want a one on one with MP and JP

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 02:29:55 PM »
Does anyone think that Eddie Trunk would ever another member of DT on there?

Maybe.  But only if it was accidentally.  And definitely not the whole thing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Torn2Shreds

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 03:08:25 PM »
I watched the Season opener of "That Metal Show" over the weekend, and MP was playing drums between segments. And it got me thinking.....Does anyone think that Eddie Trunk would ever another member of DT on there? I know that he and MP are close, and because of that he might not even consider it. Just wondered what others thought about this.

Yeah I watched the show too... Anyone else notice that MP played the intro to "6:00" during one of his segments???  Hmmm....

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 03:11:01 PM »
Yeah I watched the show too... Anyone else notice that MP played the intro to "6:00" during one of his segments???  Hmmm....

???  Why would that be surprising?  It is one of his signature drum lines.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Torn2Shreds

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 03:12:35 PM »

???  Why would that be surprising?  It is one of his signature drum lines.

No, I just thought it was cool that he would do that... 

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 03:14:06 PM »
Eddie Trunk is seemingly indifferent to the whole progressive scene. For example, he admitted to not liking Opeth, and found the Adrenaline Mob EP more interesting than ADTOE. The reason he has Mike on (other than their close friendship) is the fact that Mike is more of a metal guy than the other members of Dream Theater. I couldn't see him ever bringing on another member of DT on.

I think Eddie is actually rather irresponsible in that he rarely covers metal bands outside of trash metal and 80s cock rock. If I was in his shoes, I would do my best to cover a wide variety of metal bands, including ones I don't like.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 03:34:52 PM »
Eddie Trunk is seemingly indifferent to the whole progressive scene. For example, he admitted to not liking Opeth, and found the Adrenaline Mob EP more interesting than ADTOE. The reason he has Mike on (other than their close friendship) is the fact that Mike is more of a metal guy than the other members of Dream Theater. I couldn't see him ever bringing on another member of DT on.

I think Eddie is actually rather irresponsible in that he rarely covers metal bands outside of trash metal and 80s cock rock. If I was in his shoes, I would do my best to cover a wide variety of metal bands, including ones I don't like.

I agree with this. His personal taste shouldn't inhibit the wide range of metal sub genres that the show should cover. I know he talked DT when MP was in the band and hasn't talked about them since. But, I did see a Prog Metal show on VH1 that showcased DT as one of the forefathers. I don't think that was an Eddie Truck-influenced special though. That special was MP heavy too. Besides MP being out of DT, they were talking about DT's conception and influence on prog metal. That technically is MP's realm as much as any of the rest of DT's past and present. Anyway, the first episode was great! MP's interlude drumming was nice and it's always fun listening to Lars talk. It was funny how amazed he looked by MP's drumming.

I wouldn't be surprised to see JP in the studio at some point.

Offline vulcandj

• There's too many notes.
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 03:51:05 PM »

I caught that, too. I wasn't really paying attention and did the "dog ears" thing when I heard it. And yes, Lars did seem to be impressed with MP's playing, which I thought was cool.

I like the show because Eddie has some cool guests, but I'm still not over the top 5 Sophmore records segment that did, where IaW didn't even make the list.  :huh: :huh: :huh:
So I say to the horse, "why the long face?"....

Offline composure77

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 03:51:46 PM »
Idk, I find myself just not being a big Eddie Trunk fan altogether.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 04:00:43 PM »
Never really a big fan of that show, the 3 of them are pretty biased.  One episode I watched I think they mentioned the band Kix at least 3 times, WTF?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 04:11:41 PM »
That Metal Show is cool in theory, but in actuality it's pretty lame.  Mainly because Eddie Trunk sucks.  The red haired dude was pretty funny when he was on Crank Yankers though. 

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 04:51:07 PM »
Eddie doesn't seem to be a Dream Theater fan. More of an MP fan. Even in his book, in the last section for honorable mentions, he mentions DT and singles out MP and in passing, mentions JP.

For some reason, as much as Eddie seems like he's fun to hang out with, he does in a way seem kind of arrogant
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 04:56:12 PM by SystematicThought »
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 12:52:31 AM »

I agree with this (not the rest of the post though, since you veered off after that).
I always took Eddie Trunk for an MP fan who promoted his stuff, and not a DT fan.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 07:17:51 AM »

Do people STILL confuse thrash with trash?  :facepalm:

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 09:35:56 AM »
Trunk's kinda douchy.  Especially when he gets all butthurt over not knowing a question during Stump the Trunk.  Portnoy knows a lot more rock and metal trivia than Trunk could ever hope to learn.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 09:41:49 AM »

Eh, it's his show; he can cover and talk about whoever he wants.  I agree that he comes off as a bit of a douche, but, again, it is his show.  If you don't like it, don't watch it.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 11:10:38 AM »
I don't mind the show at all.  It is what it is.  Trunk is definitely a DT fan but he's more of an MP fan because MP is the only member of DT he's had on the show.  I don't see him inviting anyone else from DT to the show anytime soon.

P.S. I thought the TMS top 4 was lopsided.  Overkill #1 and Testament #3?  :umno:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 12:51:10 PM »
Trunk is definitely a DT fan. . . .

When Doug Pinnick was on the show (and MP appeared to ask a question), he couldn't answer simple DT questions like "which DT song had guest vocals by Doug Pinnick."  So, I'd say, not much of a fan.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 03:39:32 PM »
I also noticed one kf his drum segments included master lf puppets while lars was there. I thought hjs drum spots were pretty cool and on a previous episode thsy mentioned about possibly doing a guest drummer instead of guitarist. I liked it. I find myself watching the show often now but eddie trunk is definitely the worst part about it.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 03:43:14 PM »
ET worships MP and everything MP is ever involved in.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 03:57:23 PM »
So, does that mean he used to worship DT?   :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 12:19:45 AM »
I think the season opener of TMS this week was really great. I loved that MP played the opening fill of 6:00 on a tiny kit. As far as Eddie having any other members of DT on TMS, I'd say not a chance. He's stated flat out on his twitter that he's not a fan of DT. DT has never gotten any love on TMS, because, as Eddie has said on the show, he doesn't see DT as metal. To him they are just prog rock, and aside from UFO and Rush, Eddie isn't a fan of the genre.

MP was on because he's slated to be a guest later in the season to promote AMOB, a band that Eddie apparently (according to his twitter) really loves.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 08:17:46 AM »
Anyone have a clip of MP playing on the show?

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 08:41:23 AM »

They have full episodes on the website and they are also showing re-runs this week on VH1 Classic.

https://www.vh1.com/shows/that_metal_show/series.jhtml

Offline Stonestef

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 01:53:33 PM »

They have full episodes on the website and they are also showing re-runs this week on VH1 Classic.

https://www.vh1.com/shows/that_metal_show/series.jhtml

It says it's not available in my region. I found a clip on youtube but it's not the full episode: https://youtu.be/xr8i4WbwYo0?t=13m22s

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 04:46:27 PM »
  I found a clip on youtube but it's not the full episode: https://youtu.be/xr8i4WbwYo0?t=13m22s

Good grief, not even two minutes into the clip, and I already want to punch Lars Ulrich in the face through my computer screen.  He truly is the biggest douche in rock or metal. 

Offline FlamTap

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2012, 06:45:15 PM »
I also noticed one kf his drum segments included master lf puppets while lars was there. I thought hjs drum spots were pretty cool and on a previous episode thsy mentioned about possibly doing a guest drummer instead of guitarist. I liked it. I find myself watching the show often now but eddie trunk is definitely the worst part about it.

Actually, he was playing "One", not MoP  ;)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2012, 10:09:57 PM »
I've seen on full episode (the one with the MP interview) and it felt like eating that old squishy Cheeto you found in the crack between your sofa cushions. Kinda a mix of grossness and the memory how awesome it probably was at some point.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2012, 12:46:26 AM »
I don't have a problem with Trunk or the show.  Yeah, they don't cover all the possible genres that could be covered, but it covers metal more than anything else out there on mainstream TV.  Doubt the show will ever focus on DT, though, which is Trunk's choice to make.  Not really surprising since he was more Mike's friend than a tried and true Dream Theater fan.   

BTW - I thought it was pretty cool how Lars was literally in awe every time MP played his little drum outros.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2012, 01:25:42 AM »
I think Eddie Trunk is a fucking twat.

I doubt any of the other DT members would want to be on That Metal Show anyway.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released through my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios
www.starcommandstudios.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2012, 06:16:39 AM »

Actually, he was playing "One", not MoP  ;)

oops, i believe you are correct.

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2012, 01:08:57 PM »
I've seen on full episode (the one with the MP interview) and it felt like eating that old squishy Cheeto you found in the crack between your sofa cushions. Kinda a mix of grossness and the memory how awesome it probably was at some point.

rumborak

:lol  Hilarious!   :rollin   

Yeah, I don't think TMS would have any of the guys on.  JP or JL would seem the most likely candidates because of their upcoming solo stuff.
Signature

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2012, 03:03:02 PM »
I think Eddie Trunk is a fucking twat.

I doubt any of the other DT members would want to be on That Metal Show anyway.

:lol  I like the show but Trunk's whining get's old fast.  I usually don't pay much attention to him.  I don't like DJ that much either but I love it when Don and Jim give Eddie shit during the show.  Florentine cracks me up.  If it wasn't for him, the show might've been cancelled a while ago.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2012, 09:01:24 PM »
I really wish they'd get rid of the stump the trunk segment. It makes no sense to me. Eddie knows maybe 60% of the questions and when he doesn't know, he complains like a baby. Also the prizes sucks. I wish they'd discuss the current metal scene more instead of that segment.