Author Topic: Halestorm - New Album: Into the Wild Life (April '15)  (Read 8647 times)

Offline PetFish

Re: Halestorm - Holy Freakin' God
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2015, 11:54:11 PM »
Thanks for posting the new info, I was going to but you beat me to it.

I like The Pretty Reckless, don't get me wrong, but aside from playing the same genre of music they aren't very similar.

I don't want to get into details since everyone will agree and nobody will agree.  It's like Schroedinger's Cat when it comes to comparing artists and I'm sick of it, honestly.

I like both bands but I LOVE Halestorm.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2015, 11:57:37 PM »
Oh come on.  What's the point of a discussion board if there's no discussion??  You're breakin the rulz of the internet, dog....   :angel:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2015, 10:40:01 AM »
I recommend her vocal performance in. Bad Romance

Wait, is this a Lady Gaga cover? Must check out.

Yup, I prefer the live version.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline PetFish

Re: Halestorm - New Album: Into the Wild Life (April '15)
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2015, 03:39:50 AM »
Apocalyptic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkC18ZPfb90

I was gonna wait for the video but I just can't.

This is a really rocking song with some of the raunchiest lyrics I've ever heard:

Give me a red hand print
Right across my ass
I'm leaving scratches up and down your back
Throw me against the wall
Bite me on my neck
Like end of the world, break up sex

Cuz we're dysfunctional physical
Always slamming doors
You're a bitch, throwin' fits
Always waging wars
Me and you, sad but true
We're not us anymore
There's still one thing we're good for

I'll give you one last night so make it twisted
Give you one last shot, go on and hit it
Give you one last time to make me miss it
Baby, love me Apocalyptic

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2015, 12:24:53 PM »
Have fun with that.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2015, 03:25:01 PM »
Video for Apocalyptic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PXkCAiV0Ww&x-yt-ts=1422411861&x-yt-cl=84924572

The song is really cool but the video is just meh.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2015, 05:02:35 PM »
Good song, looking forward to the album!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2015, 06:34:49 PM »
I believe they played this song live
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline PetFish

« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2015, 12:48:55 AM »
They're finally coming to Vancouver, Canada.  Anybody here interested in going?

---

You have been waiting, and here they are! More dates for our Monster Energy Carnival of Madness Presents tour!! Playing on these dates are RIVAL SONS and ROYAL THUNDER!!!

6/5 - Anaheim, CA - The City National Grove of Anaheim
6/6 - San Francisco, CA - The Regency Ballroom
6/8 - Portland, OR - Roseland Theater
6/9 - Seattle, WA - Showbox Sodo
6/10 - Boise, ID - Revolution Concert House & Event Center
6/12 - Missoula, MT - The Wilma Theater
6/13 - Spokane, WA - Knitting Factory [Spokane]
6/14 - Vancouver, BC - The Commodore Ballroom

Tickets go on sale this Friday 2/13 at 10am MT - check back here for ticket links!
Halestorm
You have been waiting, and here they are! More dates for our Monster Energy Carnival of Madness Presents tour!! Playing on these dates are RIVAL SONS and ROYAL THUNDER!!!

6/5 - Anaheim, CA - The City National Grove of Anaheim
6/6 - San Francisco, CA - The Regency Ballroom
6/8 - Portland, OR - Roseland Theater
6/9 - Seattle, WA - Showbox Sodo
6/10 - Boise, ID - Revolution Concert House & Event Center
6/12 - Missoula, MT - The Wilma Theater
6/13 - Spokane, WA - Knitting Factory [Spokane]
6/14 - Vancouver, BC - The Commodore Ballroom

Tickets go on sale this Friday 2/13 at 10am MT - check back here for ticket links!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2015, 07:16:36 AM »
While I'm not that much of a fan of Halestorm, their vocalist does have a nice voice, and god damn it's great to see Royal Thunder get on a tour of this scale.
I remember when I saw them with Pallbearer and Enslaved  :laugh:

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2015, 10:04:35 PM »
Another song is out.  They've been playing it for the last year or so during their shows.  It's called Mayhem.  I think it's a step-up from Apocalyptic.  It's very high-energy to me.  Could have used a better ending though, imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QralTt4Uado

Offline PetFish

« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2015, 12:39:57 PM »
I've given this album a lot of listens and I'm sad to say I think it's just "meh".

It's a solid rock & roll album, but it's very one-dimensional (almost every song is about sex, girl-power, and fuck rules).  There's no story-telling at all (Rock Show, Familiar Taste of Poison, etc).  The songs all "sound" the same with very little uniqueness and no melodies or anthems.  It's all just angst-driven girl-power "do what you want" monotony.

I think what's bugging me is that I see all these reviews saying how it's so diverse and how it pushes boundaries and I just don't see it.

It also sounds like Lzzy isn't taking care of her voice right now.  She was a big advocate of that and always Tweeted her tips to a healthy and long-career voice.

I really want them to be successful and everything seems to be working, I'm just not feeling this one.  I still think their debut is my favourite but it's very close with their second album for sure.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2015, 07:37:18 PM »
I've given this album a lot of listens and I'm sad to say I think it's just "meh".

It's a solid rock & roll album, but it's very one-dimensional (almost every song is about sex, girl-power, and fuck rules).  There's no story-telling at all (Rock Show, Familiar Taste of Poison, etc).  The songs all "sound" the same with very little uniqueness and no melodies or anthems.  It's all just angst-driven girl-power "do what you want" monotony.

I think what's bugging me is that I see all these reviews saying how it's so diverse and how it pushes boundaries and I just don't see it.

It also sounds like Lzzy isn't taking care of her voice right now.  She was a big advocate of that and always Tweeted her tips to a healthy and long-career voice.

I really want them to be successful and everything seems to be working, I'm just not feeling this one.  I still think their debut is my favourite but it's very close with their second album for sure.

I agree , except I don't rate their second album as high as most either.  Their debut stands out for me.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2015, 08:38:27 PM »
I think I get what they were trying to do in this album.  I think they did not want to make another album that goes with the production process that they went through with former producer, Howard Benson, who does not really have such a positive reputation as a producer atm, and wanted to approach this album in a manner that tests themselves.  It may not be something that's never been done before in the music world, but to them, it's something that they want to go for.

Here were my initial thoughts posted in another forum.

Favorites of the album so far. I Am The Fire, Dear Daughter, Mayhem, The Reckoning, and What Sober Couldn't Say. I think the consensus is clear. For people that don't like the band and thinks the lyrics are too cliche, this album won't change their perspective. That said, those that really like the band should be pleased with the result and I applaud them for wanting to take their sound to strange directions (especially the country-like sounding direction).

I always say that I'm always happy and proud of them for pretty much making the most of the opportunities they are given and run away with it with a lot of momentum (especially in a touring sense). This album is no exception. All I can say is keep it up.

Granted, I agree on the thoughts of the debut album.  If I were to do a Top 50 album list, I would put the debut album on it.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2015, 12:09:06 AM »
Surprised by the amount of love for the debut. I mean, it's ok, but I quite it pretty bland overall. Definitely prefer the later two albums, by a long way!

New one is really solid, but not sure I like it quite as much as The Strange Case Of.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2015, 07:40:57 PM »
I'm not a fan of the new album. The songwriting feels very juvenile and rushed this time around. It's a huge step back from Strange Case Of.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline PetFish

« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2015, 01:47:47 AM »
For me the first two albums are VERY close and either one could be my favourite on any day.

If I had to live with one for the rest of my life, though, I think I'd have to go with their debut.  There are just so many great melodies and hooks and diversity.  Tell Me Where It Hurts is probably my all-time favourite song of theirs.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2018, 11:23:28 AM »
Anyone check out the Vicious album? Outside of a few childish songs, which I wish they would grow out of, I think this may be the best Halestorm album to date. Lzzy Hale gives one of the best vocal performances I've ever heard and honestly it's her performance on the album that really makes it shine. Lyrically the band could do with some improvement but could lord the vocal performance is amazing.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2018, 11:44:18 PM »
It kills me to say this but I find my love affair with Halestorm to be all but over.

I fell hard for Love Bites and that album and also the first one.  I rarely listen to the third one and this one does nothing at all for me.  I miss the stories and production of the first two where they didn't write everything in 5 minutes and took their time crafting them.

The last album and this one are:

Hey, look, a song about sex, and here's a cheesy one, and here's a song about rough sex, oh, and here's one about violent sex, here's one about saying "fuck off" to everyone and if they don't like it it's their problem cuz you're just being you, and don't forget the one about more sex.

It feels like they are a parody of themselves and it's really really really just the Lzzy Hale show.  Her Twitter is over-the-top with cringy cheese.

Hulk sad.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2018, 01:29:42 AM »
Vicious is a pretty good album, bar some filler songs on side 2. But yeah, they do need to find something else to write about.
Looking forward to seeing them next month!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2018, 05:32:13 AM »
Just saw them in Seattle, it was a fantastic show!  They have stepped it up considerably with their sound and lighting. I like the fact that there are no screens, just a great in your face rock concert with killer lights.  I highly recommend seeing them on this tour.
 I agree about their cheesy lyrics, but the live show and music is their saving grace.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2018, 09:19:12 AM »
The last album and this one are:

Hey, look, a song about sex, and here's a cheesy one, and here's a song about rough sex, oh, and here's one about violent sex, here's one about saying "fuck off" to everyone and if they don't like it it's their problem cuz you're just being you, and don't forget the one about more sex.

Well, the first album was kinda like:

It's not you = we won't fuk
I get off = I'll let you see but we won't fuk
Bet you wish you had me back = we fuked once and now you're whining about it
Innocence AND I'm not an angel = I'm a bitch, it's better we don't fuk
What were you expecting = that we'd fuk? hahaha
Better sorry than safe = I got tired of fuking you
My dirty mind = Well, I have to fuk with someone after all

:lol

I'm listening to Vicious right now and it's a badass record. Way better than Into the Wild Life. Yeah, the lyrics could have been a bit more diverse but the songs are all enjoyable. Black Vultures is one of the very best, an energetic opener, Buzz has a catchy vibe going on, even Do Not Disturb is very groovy and addictive in his plodding heavy chorus. Killing Ourselves to Live is a great anthem and Heart of Novocaine a wonderful ballad. The title track has probably the best chorus of the album.

@Architeuthis - were Halestorm headliners? if yes, how much did they play? I enjoyed their last show I've seen and I wouldn't mind at all seeing them in a month but I got a bit annoyed that such a young band played only 80 minutes. I don't want a 2 hours show but at least the mandatory hour and a half would be appreciated....
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2018, 11:51:10 AM »
@Architeuthis - were Halestorm headliners? if yes, how much did they play? I enjoyed their last show I've seen and I wouldn't mind at all seeing them in a month but I got a bit annoyed that such a young band played only 80 minutes. I don't want a 2 hours show but at least the mandatory hour and a half would be appreciated....

Here's what they played in Seattle which looks like around 80 minutes and they got In This Moment and New Year's Day as support.

Skulls
Love Bites (So Do I)
Mz. Hyde
I Miss the Misery
Do Not Disturb
Amen
The Silence
Black Vultures
(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman (Carole King cover)
Vicious
Drum Solo
Freak Like Me
I Am the Fire
Uncomfortable

Killing Ourselves to Live
Here's to Us

As for the Vicious album, I did not like the first half of it (except for Black Vultures), but Killing Ourselves to Live onwards, the album picked up nicely and was solid the rest of the way.

That stated, their live show is really what draws people in for Halestorm.  They are a tremendous live band and when I saw them in Anaheim last year, with Starset and New Year's Day as support, and that lasted 90 minutes.  Here was the set.

I Get Off
Apocalyptic
Love Bites (So Do I)
Freak Like Me
Mz. Hyde
Still of the Night (Whitesnake cover)
Amen
The Reckoning
Unapologetic
Fell on Black Days (Soundgarden cover)
I Will Always Love You (Dolly Parton cover and the song that Whitney Houston covered for The Bodyguard movie)
Dear Daughter
I Like It Heavy
Drum Solo
I Am the Fire
It's Not You
Mayhem
I Miss the Misery

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2018, 12:43:00 PM »

Yeah as said above, they played around 80 minutes or so, but it felt like more. They crammed alot of great material and just rocked the house. It was well worth the 30 dollars I spent to get in. In This Moment put on a heavy rockin show too. I missed the first band "New Years Day" because I got there late, but I heard they were awesome.
I highly recommend seeing this show!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2018, 04:14:45 PM »
Thanks, I'll consider going then! I wouldn't mind at all to see them again, I have to check who's with them 'cause I'm not sure In This Moment is coming over Europe as well... for sure they're headliners and that's a big plus.

Also, the other time they played songs from Into the Wild Life when the new album wasn't out yet, this time I could fully take in all the new and old stuff 'cause by now I know them all!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2018, 05:14:33 AM »
So I just picked up their new CD "Vicious" one week after seeing them live. I really liked the new material from this album they played, it actually translates better live than on the album. That's usually the case with any band that is good in a live setting.
 The new album has its strong points, but DANG they really need to find a better lyricist. Tracks 4 and 5 on this album are pretty cringeworthy, I could really care less hearing about explicit sexual content. I was hoping Halestorm would grow out of this and have a little more depth to their songs. They are also starting to sound like a sleezy version of Nickleback with a female singer at times, lol!
I still love Halestorm, their music and live performance is their saving grace. The production on their new album is top notch and there are some gems on this album. I just wish Lzzy Hale had a touch of class and could get off her soapbox about sexual exploration, and write something more meaningful. She is extremely talented and is a powerhouse singer, and her brother Are-Jay is an amazing drummer. They are all really good, they just need help in the lyric department. Way too much cheese here.. 🐭
 On a positive note, the new song "Killing Ourselves to Live"  was the highlight of their concert!  If they could write more songs like this,  they would be unstoppable!  :metal
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 10:03:09 PM by Architeuthis »

Offline PetFish

« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2018, 08:39:47 PM »
Arch nailed it about Lzzy Hale.

It's just too much.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2018, 08:45:08 PM »
I've always thought Lzzy was an amazing vocalist, but Halestorm's music has never really interested me. Kinda wish she'd join another band, or at least get someone else in the band to bring them something unique in the writing. I feel like she could really kill it in a group that had more inventive songwriting.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2018, 09:40:34 PM »
The thing, though, and this is the important thing, Lzzy and Arejay has been in Halestorm for about 20 years from the ground up.  Heck, this line-up has been together for 15 years and they are growing in fanbase album after album.

Would I want them to approach their songwriting in a manner similar to say Alter Bridge or A7X.  Sure.  I think not only would their fanbase eat it up, but a lot more people are willing to take them seriously.  As it stands, they just deliver a f***en great live show and in this industry in this state, that's a huge positive for a band like them to grow because they have that reputation as a live band and, in honestly, I think for a band like them, I'll take that over a more serious and mature album.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #99 on: August 27, 2018, 11:22:39 AM »
Ironically, the two bonus tracks are some of the deepest of the album (and probably of the previous one as well). "Nobody" has the chorus going "Nobody knows I'm a nobody", "I look like a winner, I'm a loser baby, it's all just a trick in your mind" and "Nobody knows I'm a nobody and I'm your hero tonight", and I see it, although I may be completely wrong, as a song saying "I'm just a person like anybody else, but since I go on a stage, I can be whatever you want me to be and be a positive model". "Letters" instead is very dark, looks like a haunting and dark "thank you" to someone that saved the protagonist of the song from some kind of addiction or bad life situation.

They always had some quite decent bonus tracks after all, such as "Private parts" (another song incredibly meaningful while the title could make it look the silliest one) and "Tell Me Where it Hurts".

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2018, 01:18:04 PM »
So is there bonus tracks on the new album?  I must have missed it.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2018, 03:14:02 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicious_(Halestorm_album)

Three different sets of bonus tracks!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: August 12, 2019, 10:30:16 AM »
So never really got into them, I hardly sampled but the few things I heard didn't really make me want to listen more.  This week, Halestorm comes to my neighborhood opening for Alice Cooper and I plan on going.  I really enjoy Alice Cooper live so I'll check out Halestorm live too.  Just listened to the song Love Bites (So Do I) and really enjoyed it.  I'll be giving some more listens and hopefully I enjoy more songs.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2019, 11:02:35 AM »
I have seen Halestorm live several times and they never disappoint. Lzzy's voice is just amazing.

For me, I think Vicious is their best album. Really enjoy the first 2 as well. Into the Wild Life was a bit of a miss for me. Check out their cover EP's as well. They are really good.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2019, 12:19:16 PM »
I feel like Halestorm always puts up a great set.  When I saw them back in 2017, that was one of the most enjoyable concerts I have ever seen.  Even for the songs that I don't like when I heard the albums, it comes off well live.  The self-titled is my favorite.  Vicious is 50/50 to me.  Half I hate and the other half was good.