Author Topic: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. I bless the rains down in Africa [#1]  (Read 67910 times)

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. I bless the rains down in Africa [#1]
« Reply #1260 on: August 09, 2019, 09:27:10 AM »
Those extended jams in every Toto concert are really fun.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1261 on: August 09, 2019, 11:32:34 AM »
Glad to follow.  I admit, I tuned out for parts.  But it was still too fun.

I would love to do one of these, but they are hard for me.  On one hand, it drives me nuts to not be definitive and truly have it clear in my mind that, say, #26 is truly better that #27 and will always be better than #27.  In practice, I recognize that a lot of it is arbitrary.  Today, I might prefer #26 to #27.  Next week, #32 might bump both of them.  And sometimes, it might even just be a flip of a coin.  But I have a hard time admitting that to myself.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1262 on: August 09, 2019, 11:33:35 AM »
See bosk that's why I put the disclaimer that outside of the top spots most of the albums are more or less equal. They're the cream of the crop after all   :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1263 on: August 09, 2019, 11:52:12 AM »
Yea, it's truly impossible to say anything past top 10 (in my mind) is locked in for life.  Things change.  Also you might have new albums that might be weighed heavily because of its freshness.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1264 on: August 10, 2019, 02:46:39 PM »
I am pretty much a digital buyer of music only these days.  My old CD collection is very dusty in my basement, however I knew I had a BIlly Idol album (I think Im going to see him tonight) so I went to the dusty collection to find it (apparently I never ripped it to MP3) and I haven't looked at my old CDs in a loooooong time.  Apparently I have GnR's Appetite   :omg:  had no idea I owned this album, maybe it was my Dads?  I don't know but it was mixed in my collection (in alphabetical order, and apparently I had Billy in the I's which confused me) so I obviously put it there.  Weird.  I am ripping both to MP3 now.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1265 on: August 10, 2019, 09:04:48 PM »
Glad to follow.  I admit, I tuned out for parts.  But it was still too fun.

I would love to do one of these, but they are hard for me.  On one hand, it drives me nuts to not be definitive and truly have it clear in my mind that, say, #26 is truly better that #27 and will always be better than #27.  In practice, I recognize that a lot of it is arbitrary.  Today, I might prefer #26 to #27.  Next week, #32 might bump both of them.  And sometimes, it might even just be a flip of a coin.  But I have a hard time admitting that to myself.  :lol

This is the hard thing about making top 50’s. With the last one I did I limited myself to one album per band (made it a little easier) and then I figured out the order of the albums on one day and I didn’t change it. I thought to myself; “well, this is the order the list is in, I’m not going to change it now. It might not be perfect on some days, but I’ll stick with it, because it’s as accurate as it gets.”
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1266 on: August 10, 2019, 09:14:21 PM »
Talked about this with Jingle. I could do a Top 10, maybe a Top 20 but from there everything gets muddled. And I wouldn't know how to distinguish between my favorites now, my favorites 5 years ago, and my favorites from my childhood that I can't imagine listening to and enjoying today.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1267 on: August 11, 2019, 05:02:04 AM »
As someone said earlier ... 50 albums you take to a desert island.  The ranking in the Top 10-20 will probably be pretty static, but the rest might be fluid depending on the day/mood/or period of your life.  I look back at mine now (I think I did it in 2011/12), and probably wouldn't put some of them where I did, and some would invariably drop off.

Bosk/Chris ... Just sack up and make a list.  This isn't your final bar exam or anything.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline 425

« Reply #1268 on: August 11, 2019, 09:57:37 PM »
Hey Katt, I know I've fallen down on keeping up actively with the list lately (I've had some personal issues lately that have reduced my overall forum participation), but I just wanted to say I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your list. It was awesome to follow along with your writeups, which have always been good—thoughtful, interesting, concise. Hoping that your list helps me get into some great power metal, as I start catching up on listening to the albums you've listed here. Thanks for running such an awesome thread.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time