Author Topic: Halestorm - New Album: Into the Wild Life (April '15)  (Read 8720 times)

Offline PetFish

Halestorm - New Album: Into the Wild Life (April '15)
« on: April 02, 2012, 02:34:15 AM »
It's 1:30am, wanted to go to bed over an hour ago, thought I'd see who the female singer from Adrenaline Mob's cover of Come Undone is and I discovered this amazing band... and I've been Youtubing them this whole time.  So tired but I can't tear myself away.

I've always been a fan of metal music with female vox but it's been difficult for me to find bands that I can get into as they tend to be more operatic than anything but Lzzy's range is unreal.  She's got the rock chops as well as clean and soaring virtuosity.  She can go from quiet softness to rip-your-nuts-off power in the same breath.  Their cover of Heart's All I Want to Do is Make Love to You is great, check out the live acoustic version.

I'm blown away, Jerry, BLOWN!

PS - I love how they have a 'real' and name and didn't just call it "Lzzy Hale".  For some reason it makes it all about one person even if the entire and writes the songs.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 11:16:36 PM by PetFish »

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: Halestorm - Holy Freakin' God
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 06:33:42 AM »
I used to do festival gigs with Halestorm when they were still teenagers.  Damn.

Offline Ghost

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 03:51:11 PM »
One of the better mainstream rock bands out there right now. I've been following them since their first EP. Yeah Lzzy sounds really good.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 04:02:57 PM »
I don't really enjoy them, their songs to me are cliche modern rock with a female singing instead.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 04:44:10 PM »
I don't really enjoy them, their songs to me are cliche modern rock with a female singing instead.

I sorta agree with this but I do like it.
My main problem with it is that same guita sound that every modern rock band has. There's no personality in it and you can't tell one from another. Lizzy is scary hot.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 10:06:52 PM »
I used to do festival gigs with Halestorm when they were still teenagers.  Damn.

Sweet.

I'll agree that the music isn't anything insane but I can't get enough of Lzzy's vox.  I honestly don't even remember the last time a singer had this kind of affect on me.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 12:09:18 AM »
It's funny you mention the AIWDIMLTY cover because a few days ago I was looking for a live version by Heart and came across the Halestorm cover. I'm gonna check 'em out.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 04:37:49 PM »
Ok, it's been a week or so and I am totally in love with Halestorm.

I went and bought all their stuff on iTunes but had to order the DVD from CD Universe.

They write some damn catchy hooks and melodies, exactly what's perfect for a rock show.  Singalongs, waving arms, it's all there but it's Lzzy that drives this bus and what a driver she is.  Her stage presence and command of the crowd is something I haven't really seen since a Jon Bon Jovi or a Bono.  Sure, you get a moron like the lead singer for Hedley who thinks he's Mick Jagger/David Lee Roth and does jumping jacks all day but nobody cares.  Lzzy 100% owns the audience with her eyes and actions.

Lzzy's voice is... supercalifragifuckitifiknowhowtospelldocious.  I can't see any weak points no matter if she's singing soft, aggressive, false, or blowing it out with the soaring highs.

If I REALLY try and HAD to complain about my diamond shoes being too tight I'd say that I just wish the songs were longer.  There's some great music in there under Lzzy's voice and it would have been great to let the songs breathe a little more but essentially that's me just wanting more!

I also respect them cuz they did it the old-fashioned way.  They played acoustic sets at actual radio stations, put out EP's, wrote 50+ songs for their latest album, and generally worked hard and cuz of that hard work they have the respect they need to really make amazing music.

Sorry for babbling on but I am just in shock about Halestorm.

PS - The sad thing is, as much as I hate the whole MP situation, I do have to thank him and Adrenaline Mob cuz if I didn't hear Come Undone and wonder who the chick was I never would have found out about Halestorm, so I do have to thank MP for that.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 09:19:45 AM »
I stumbled upon them two years ago when they did an in-store acoustic performance/signing as part of an indie shop's Record Store Day promotion. I was blown away by the power of her vocals in the acoustic setting. A few weeks later, I got to see them headline a full electric set to at a relatively empty club. I was equally impressed by the full on electric set. Lzzy Hale has great range and great control. She is definitely one of the best frontwomen out there today.

As for the new record, I am torn. I think they have improved musically and The Strange Case Of... does a much better job of capturing how the band sounds lives compared to the overly polished self-titled major-label debut and the covers EP. However, while the lyrics of the debut were cliched, they are a lot more catchy than the latest release. It is as if the band regressed lyrically. Looking at the writing credits, it was clear that a team of writers worked to craft good catchy pop tunes. The new one kind of falls flat in that respect and the writing credits seem to fall more on Lzzy and less on the full on team of writers that were attached to the first one.

Live, the band really brings it. I have seen them headline three times (including at two sold out club shows in Baltimore at Ram's Head Live!), once at the afore mentioned in-store and once on 2010's Uproar Festival (I think they were the second best of the four bands on the main stage, with A7X winning that night for me and Stone Sour coming in third and Disturbed fourth). That being said, I am probably going to hold off seeing them again unless they start playing longer. The second headlining show had them on stage for just about 90 minutes. The last time I saw them (November or Decmeber 2011), they played a whopping 65 minutes with no encore. Between the covers, the major label debut and the stuff that was already floating around from the not-yet-released TSCO... they easily could have hit the 90-minute mark, which is what I expect at bare minumum. But for all their hard work (and it seems they are really putting in the effort there), that was a major annoyance. And looking at setlists and commentary, the show I was at was not an anomaly. I will hold off seeing any shows if they headline again for this album until I get a better sense of whether they will play longer.

Offline aparadoxindeed

• Guitarist, Songwriter, All-Around Music Nerd
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 05:59:10 PM »
The Skid Row "Slave to the Grind" cover they did was sick!  She really nailed the right vocal tone for that song.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 11:41:10 PM »
Finally, some more love for Halestorm.  Thanks guys.

My favourite new song is "Beautiful With You" but there's so many great rock'n'roll songs, I even like "American Boys", it's super catchy.  And I didn't think it was possible for Lzzy to sing higher than on the first one but I'm pretty sure she does on this album.

Total eargasm.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 01:36:32 AM »
Three weeks later and the honeymoon is going strong!

I found this recent show they did in Germany:  https://www.wdr.de/tv/rockpalast/extra/videos/2012/0205/halestorm.jsp  What a frontman Lzzy is.

The new album is amazing and shows more versatility in Lzzy's vox and songwriting.  It's funny how I always find "bonus" tracks to be some of the best of an album/band and in this case it's "Hate It When You See Me Cry".

Offline PetFish

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 04:41:32 PM »
Not too many people into Halestorm here, but that's ok, I'm not gonna stop!

I just got the Live in Philly DVD and they are a KILLER live band.  I continue to be blown away by these guys and it looks like they're starting to really take off.  Still no tour dates near me but you can be damn sure I'm going as soon as they get within a 6-hour drive.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 10:32:33 PM »

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 08:46:07 AM »
Bought their new one this weekend, and I'll say far and away Lizzy is the star of the show. The album has a few faults-cheesy lyrics and maybe too many ballads in a row in the middle-but it's otherwise pretty solid hard rock, and I could listen to her sing the phone book, she's amazing.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 06:24:29 PM »
Sometimes cheesy is just what the doctor ordered.

It's such a refreshing splash of fun and a great break from all the seriousness that is Dream Theater.  I love the lyrics but I really love the catchy melodies and cool hooks and riffs.  It's just really great heavy rock and roll.

I'm such a schoolgirl over this band, it's hilarious.  I even joined the fan club.  :)

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 03:08:59 PM »
I went to the article and saw the video and figured I'd check these guys out. I planned to listen to a song and end up watching most of the show. Holy hell does that woman have a voice.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 09:24:05 PM »

So that is the same Halestorm that used to advertise in PA Musician? Never actually heard them. I'll fix that tomorrow.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline PetFish

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 10:37:01 PM »
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Thanks for checking them out, guys, I still can't get over how much Halestorm has taken me over!

Lzzy Hale... what can you say?  She is 100% ass-kickery!

Good work, Nick, that German Rockpalast show is amazing.  That's how they got me... I started watching one Youtube vid and before I knew it it was time to get up and go to work.

2Timer, careful, once you start you can't stop.  You've been warned, but let me know either way what you think. 

I don't know how I didn't hear about them before but it's cool cuz now I get to experience a lot more of their music at once instead of a bit here and there over time.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 10:50:35 PM »
*comes in not thinking much of Halestorm*

*watches whole video*  :omg:
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline PetFish

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 12:34:36 AM »
^^

My job is done... or is it just beginning?  Welcome!

Go Youtube "halestorm fallon" and check out their only TV appearance (so far) playing "A Familiar Taste of Poison".  That song really shows Lzzy's range and the crowd and Jimmy really seemed to like it.

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 05:52:45 AM »
Listening now...really enjoyable stuff! I just listened to Love Bites and Familiar Taste of Poison. Just started I Get Off.
I see they have a cover of Slave to the Grind by Skid Row...I wish they would have picked Wasted Time or something off the 1st album. They do remind of Skid Row. Really good songs.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 07:33:56 AM »
Just ordered the new album.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline PetFish

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 03:48:23 PM »
^^

Awesome.  My current favourite song is still Beautiful With You but if you get the special edition all 3 extra tracks are great, especially Hate It When You See Me Cry.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 04:10:12 PM »
Damn, I thought this was an Alestorm thread.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2012, 06:57:26 PM »
Lzzy got a new signature Gibson Explorer.  Looks pretty sweet!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2012, 09:34:49 PM »
And it has to be said, she's fucking hot.

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2012, 09:59:14 PM »
It also has to be said, she was much hotter when she was younger.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2012, 10:03:01 PM »

So that is the same Halestorm that used to advertise in PA Musician? Never actually heard them. I'll fix that tomorrow.

Same ones. This was around 2000 or so.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2012, 03:09:16 PM »
Big news here at Halestorm HQ: Halestorm has made history!!!!! "Love Bites (And So Do I)" topped the Active Rock radio charts nationwide. That means Halestorm is the first ever female-fronted group to top the format’s airplay ranking!
The band will celebrate its sensational success with an epic summer touring schedule, comprising a U.S. headline trek, high profile festival appearances, a series of much-anticipated European dates, and a number of support slots alongside Avenged Sevenfold! Head over to our Tour Dates page to see those dates!

Awesome job, guys!! We are all so proud of you!

https://www.halestormrocks.com/blog/halestorm-makes-history-39336

Offline PetFish

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2012, 04:03:40 PM »
https://awards.kerrang.com/

Help out and vote for Lzzy as hottest rocker.  Be careful, though, cuz on the CAPTCHA screen the selection reverts back to Hayley Williams so make sure to change it back to Lzzy.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2012, 01:25:33 AM »
Did you vote yet?  Huh?  Huh?  Did you?

I'm such a schoolgirl.  It looks like they're working on a couple of new videos as well.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2012, 04:00:49 PM »
The local rock station has been playing Love Bites a lot recently. Up until a few days ago, I never knew the singer was female. Of course, now that I know otherwise, I don't know what I was hearing. :lol

Good song though. Kitty can scratch.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2012, 06:44:27 PM »
Time for my weekly Halestorm bump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxFQRmjk3rQ

The tour dates are distracting but it's a cool video nonetheless.

And Lzzy scares the shit outta me: