Author Topic: 6 years ago...  (Read 6541 times)

Offline gibbs1245

6 years ago...
« on: April 01, 2012, 10:06:51 AM »
Can you guys believe it's been six years since Score? I remember watching that the first time and having my mind absolutely blown. Lets share our memories with this incredible performance  :metal
“I am not religious, more like a thinking, open-minded individual. Religions and their dogmas are not necessarily bad. Human beings interpreting them are.”
― Tuomas Holopainen

Offline fadetoblackdude7

Re: 6 years ago...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 01:36:09 PM »
Yeah I remember popping it in with one of my best friends and immediately noticing that it's better than Budokan in every way lol

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »
Couldn't agree less about it being better than Budokhan but I think we just had this long argument last year so I won't get into it.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline composure77

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 03:10:37 PM »
It's funny that this thread is about score ...

Cause I'm watching it right now  :D

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 06:10:55 PM »
Wow, that is true, it feels like only a couple years ago when I went to New York to see it. Come to think of it, it was right before I moved away to university. How time flies.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 08:17:37 PM »
Score was still heavily talked about in September when I showed up at DT.net. Ah the memories.... Of me not knowing what anyone was talking about.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 10:26:37 PM »
I will never be able to go back in time and see it live. Makes me sad.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 10:52:09 PM »
Great memories picking this up from Borders the day of release and being blown away by the performance.

Offline MasterLomaxus

• Onion Flakes
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 12:13:28 AM »
Wow, that is true, it feels like only a couple years ago when I went to New York to see it. Come to think of it, it was right before I moved away to university. How time flies.

Neat!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 12:39:30 AM »
Couldn't agree less about it being better than Budokhan but I think we just had this long argument last year so I won't get into it.

Aside from JLB's vocals, I'll take Budokan in every regard.
But I am so glad they captured a good quality recording of JLB in top form for Score. Even though it's not my favourite setlist overall, it was a nice mix of songs from every era, and the orchestra was a wonderful touch despite the small issues.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MasterLomaxus

• Onion Flakes
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 12:43:25 AM »

Aside from JLB's vocals, I'll take Budokan in every regard.
But I am so glad they captured a good quality recording of JLB in top form for Score. Even though it's not my favourite setlist overall, it was a nice mix of songs from every era, and the orchestra was a wonderful touch despite the small issues.

I actually agree with this.  Score was what originally got me in to DT, but I really just  love Budokan.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 01:39:22 AM »
I love Budokan, but it's too (for lack of a better word) dark. Score has a lot of uplifting spiritual moments that are too amazing. Even the 'happier' moments on Budokan are dark.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 05:22:09 AM »
I love Budokan, but it's too (for lack of a better word) dark. Score has a lot of uplifting spiritual moments that are too amazing. Even the 'happier' moments on Budokan are dark.u
I can't agree more. I don't know why but L@B is "dark".
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 06:38:14 AM »
I was underwhelmed with Score.  I liked the idea and how the setlist was chosen...yet I really only like about half of the songs  :-\

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 07:55:44 AM »
time really flys, i was one of the fortunate few to be able to go and watch in person and hearing 8vm live made me fall in love with that song! The orchestra was a nice touch, but it would have been nice to hear some of their more agressive, heavy songs

either way the show was still amazing and hopefully there is more to come until 2092

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 09:22:26 AM »
I was underwhelmed with Score.  I liked the idea and how the setlist was chosen...yet I really only like about half of the songs  :-\

I agree. Aside from Afterlife, Another Won, Under a Glass Moon, and Metropolis, every other song would probably be in my bottom 50% of DT songs with only Innocence Faded and 6DoIT being remotely close to making the cut for top 50%. Raise the Knife ain't bad at all but it's never gripped me enough to listen to it enough to form a conclusive opinion on it.

Performancewise it was totally okay and I have no issues with that. It was just a big disappointment when I got home and popped it in, didn't bother checking the setlist so I could be surprised and kept getting bummed out time after time by the song choices.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 09:40:06 AM »
I was at a conference in August of '06 when it was released.  I blew it off to find a store that had the DVD and watched it all morning.  Loved it.  Agree with some comments of the setlist (would've preferred something than IF and TALW), but otherwise, the overall production and James' performance make it better than L@B for me.

Ironically, I was watched RTK while doing a quick cardio warmup yesterday. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 09:45:38 AM »
I attended the show with two friends.  I am no longer close to either, and am actually not on speaking terms at all with one of them.

:-[
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 04:24:38 PM »
I think the performance was excellent but the setlist could've been better.  On the other hand, the Budokan setlist was better but the performance was somewhat lacking.  Score is my favorite live DT performance.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Cable

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 06:00:18 PM »
I think the performance was excellent but the setlist could've been better.  On the other hand, the Budokan setlist was better but the performance was somewhat lacking.  Score is my favorite live DT performance.

I agree with the performance vs. setlist balance of the two shows.

As a whole, I think it is unfair that Score may get knocked for the setlist (or any DVD). We cannot have the setlist that each person likes the best. There will always be a song or two or more that someone doesn't like (or even the consensus), compared to other DVDs. So if that is the driving factor for an opinion...

I think Score has the best overall sound out of all the DVDs. Now, that is not to say I do not like some other sonic things of the other DVDs. I love how the bass REALLY stands out on LSFNY (as a bassist), and the overall guitar tone of Budokan better.

But as was mentioned by Gibbs the OP, Dublagent66 and others, Score is great as a performance. I dare say it is JLB's finest (assuming the majority of the vocals were actually live). JP's performance was a lot better on Score, and the tempos seemed a little more relaxed vs. Budokan.

Sure, Budokan looks gorgeous and was shot incredibly, 5YIALT & CIM have solid raw feels, LFSNY a great setlist, LiT w/ a young band on fire, and WDADR modernizing in a great way the first album. But the performance captured on tape, and on these songs is probably my favorite on Score.
---

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 08:00:43 PM »
Like some of you have said it already, both Score and the Budokan show were great in their own ways, and I like them both. I just wish Score would come to Bluray sooner than later.  :hat

Oh, by the way, been away for the longest time... this is my first post here since 2009... I think. Good day.  ;)
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 08:15:05 PM »
I kind of enjoy the 'dark' feel to L@B.

However, I enjoy the setlist from Score moore.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 08:24:24 PM »
Score had 4 things wrong with it.

1. The Spirit Carries On. I dunno, just that super long guitar solo intro makes me skip the song every time. It's just a damn boring song that doesn't need to be on anymore DVDs
2. 6DOT. Yes, I know most people here will disagree, but the song is boring and I skip it every time.
3. The super long intro to octavarium. Dunno, just feels pointless and wanky.
4. The orchestra was terrible for the most part. Good on Metropolis and 8vm, but missed some great opportunities on those. However on 6DOIT, the orchestra was very very sub par.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 08:44:33 PM »
wow, six years already!

it was a magical few hours of my life, and Score is the joy of getting to relive it periodically

Offline theGonz

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2012, 10:15:58 AM »
Score is my fave DVD. James' performance is top notch. As for the set I liked that they played innocence faded because it wouldn't have sounded as great vocally on budokan or LSFNY. I like RTK but I would have prefered if they played something from the album (Peruvian skies/jam). I think the ambient intro to TSCO was a nice addition. And I love six degrees with the orchestra.
*epic instrumental section*

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2012, 11:00:04 AM »
Hard to believe it's been 6 years.  :o

I was a stranger in a strange land, having just moved to Germany.  When I listened/watched Score it was like getting a letter from family back home complete with a video of the reunion I missed. 

In my opinion, Score is DT's best live stuff they've ever done.  And 'The Spirit Carries On' from Score is the best version I've heard to date.

:tup 
Signature

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2012, 11:39:39 AM »
I love Score and actually prefer it to L@B in terms of setlist. Endless Sacrifice is a bore live, and I could do without the sections of SDOIT (not because of the replication, I just don't like the WIMH/TTSTA combo).
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Cable

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2012, 04:16:26 PM »
I love Score and actually prefer it to L@B in terms of setlist. Endless Sacrifice is a bore live, and I could do without the sections of SDOIT (not because of the replication, I just don't like the WIMH/TTSTA combo).

Really, Endless Sacrifice a bore live? While I agree the LaB recording is not the best, the three times I have heard the song in person live it has been absolutely incredible. Something about it works really well live, at least for me.

---

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2012, 07:06:47 PM »
The orchestra only Vacant and the pause into Losing Time are the things that annoy me about score.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2012, 04:20:29 PM »
One of my DT trifecta, I.e. top concerts I have attended. The other two are SFAM live, and 6DOIT live.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2012, 09:29:05 PM »
It's incredible that it's now been over six years since my first ever Dream Theater concert. I remember it very clearly, because it was on the 25th anniversary tour and it was in Chicago. Hell, I still remember most of the songs they played that night. Good times.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2012, 10:11:13 PM »
I remember being in the 8th row  :metal

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2012, 10:55:31 PM »
Score had 4 things wrong with it.

1. The Spirit Carries On. I dunno, just that super long guitar solo intro makes me skip the song every time. It's just a damn boring song that doesn't need to be on anymore DVDs
When I listened the crowd sing "If I die tomorrow..." the first time it sent shivers down my spine and I almost cried. The intro could be better, true. But, alas!

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2012, 07:47:20 AM »
I remember buying the CD and DVD.  Long term high school girlfriend had just broken up with me, so I was pretty sad.  This made it better.

Offline Odysseus

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2012, 12:04:03 PM »
Score is a regular in my DVD player.  It was the choice of songs that did it for me.  Well pleased!  :tup