Author Topic: News? What news? Oh thats right, TRANSATLANTIC!  (Read 2813 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: News? What news? Oh thats right, TRANSATLANTIC!
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2013, 10:17:46 AM »
The Whirlwind > SMPTe

Seems like Neal Morse gets more criticism than any other musician ever. I'm always afraid to read anything about Transatlantic, Spock's Beard, or his solo work, because it always becomes a LOL NEAL MORSE fest. I feel bad for the poor guy, since he's a musical genius. A lot of his stuff sounds the same now, admittedly, but he's put out so much material over the years. There are other bands with tons of sameyness that have only released a fraction of what he has.

And I'm pretty sure that The Whirlwind had a lot of input by the other guys. Didn't Pete write the main theme? Maybe their writing sounds too much like Neal's, which of course would be his fault too, right? :P

I don't agree with The Whirlwind being better than SMPTe, but I agree with much of what you said.  I think the problem is that he releases so much material that the sameyness runs together in a much more quantitative way than maybe other musicians who maybe have similar issues but only release something every couple years.  But even if Neal often follows a similar structure when it comes to assembling albums and/or songs, he still is writing awesome melodies left and right, and those just don't fall out of the sky. 

Also, I think the nature of his lyrics since leaving Spock's Beard is a large reason why he gets criticized by some, since a lot of people have issues with hearing lyrics about subjects they aren't comfortable with and/or believe in.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2013, 06:47:10 PM »
Just re-watched all of the whirld tour at shepherd's bush,getting hyped!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2013, 01:13:14 AM »
How about More is Never Enough? I really enjoy that one more. (Maybe partly because I was there  :biggrin: )
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2013, 05:08:15 PM »
I only have they live whirlwind DVD but i know all their songs

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2013, 05:27:53 PM »
How about More is Never Enough? I really enjoy that one more. (Maybe partly because I was there  :biggrin: )

I just bought that one a few weeks ago!  :metal

Kind of wish that The Whirlwind wasn't a single track on its disc, though.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.