Author Topic: Church weddings  (Read 3019 times)

Offline AndyDT

Church weddings
« on: March 28, 2012, 07:22:01 AM »
I've never been to a church wedding as an adult until now. What am I supposed to do when I get there and afterwards? Any things to avoid or etiquette to observe?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Re: Church weddings
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 07:50:52 AM »
Just dress nice, show up on time, don't do anything to distract from the ceremony or reception and you should be fine.

Why is this in P/R?

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 07:51:59 AM »
Judging from all your posts here, I am not sure you will be able to do it......

You should relax and have fun.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 07:57:38 AM »
Why is this in P/R?

Because of the username.

I went to a wedding a couple of years ago, and it was just a typical formal social occasion. Just dress well and act normal, and there's really nothing specific to worry about. wtf.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 08:28:35 AM »
Sign the registry.  Mingle outside a bit, if that interests you.  Once you go inside the ushers will seat you on one side or the other, depending on whether or not the bride or groom is who you're there for. 

Afterward, there might be an opportunity where people line up to congratulate the newly deceased.  Congratulations to the groom, best wishes for the bride. 

Following that should be a reception.  Typical formal party.  Drink at the bar.  Snack on some hors d'oeuvres.  Sneak out whenever you wish. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 08:31:41 AM »
Load up on Jager before the ceremony begins and completely exploit the open bar later on.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 09:06:39 AM »
Give the wedding band 50 bucks to play "Mrs. Robinson" closely before the vow.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 09:11:46 AM »
When the priest asks if anyone "objects to them being married or forever hold their peace", you must jump up and yell loudly, "I object on the basis that their union is done for their own ego, and not as a way to get closer to god!"

Please make sure someone is videotaping this, then post it here.

Being naked in front of all the non-spouses would get bonus points as well.

Thx.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 09:21:06 AM »
 :rollin :rollin

/end thread

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 09:58:21 AM »
I've never been to a church wedding as an adult until now. What am I supposed to do when I get there and afterwards? Any things to avoid or etiquette to observe?
Oh come on.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 10:02:30 AM »
Oh come on.

HEY HEY, take that kind of talk to P/R. This is out of control!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 10:06:16 AM »
*Brilliance*

This is awesome on so many levels.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 10:24:49 AM »
Sign the registry.  Mingle outside a bit, if that interests you.  Once you go inside the ushers will seat you on one side or the other, depending on whether or not the bride or groom is who you're there for. 

Afterward, there might be an opportunity where people line up to congratulate the newly deceased.  Congratulations to the groom, best wishes for the bride. 

Following that should be a reception.  Typical formal party.  Drink at the bar.  Snack on some hors d'oeuvres.  Sneak out whenever you wish.
Thanks Barto. I had some confusions about the reception and whether it was presumed you would also go along. I was invited to a wedding reception some years ago with my parents but didn't go as it seemed weird having not been to the wedding itself. Also, is everybody still expected to wear suits?

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 10:28:25 AM »

Too bad he wont go...he might actually have some.....fun.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 10:31:16 AM »

Thanks Barto. I had some confusions about the reception and whether it was presumed you would also go along. I was invited to a wedding reception some years ago with my parents but didn't go as it seemed weird having not been to the wedding itself. Also, is everybody still expected to wear suits?

In all seriousness, yeah, EB laid it all out perfectly.  I generally see guys in slacks and button up shirts.  Maybe a tie.  I personally see no need to wear a suit.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 10:37:17 AM »

In all seriousness, yeah, EB laid it all out perfectly.  I generally see guys in slacks and button up shirts.  Maybe a tie.  I personally see no need to wear a suit.

Better to be over dressed than under dressed.  Wear a suit.  Then you can progressively take off items as required.  First the tie, leaving you with a casual suit and dress shirt look.  Then you can always lose the jacket.

But who are we kidding.  Have you EVER taken advice from this forum and actually used it?

If you actually are willing to take advice, take this.  Seriously...take this advice:

This is a wedding....someone elses special day.  It is a day to celebrate love and familty, and the future.  People (guests) are there to enjoy themselves....do not....I repeat...DO NOT bring up ANY subject you have ever posted about here at DTF PR.  No ego, no god, no nazis, no ANDYDT ANYTHING.  Keep conversations light and simple.  Enjoy yourself, and dont ruin others' experience by being ANDYDT.  Just be Andy the Wedding guest and have fun.  Seriously.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 10:43:24 AM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 10:38:34 AM »
It could be my burning hatred for dressing up that's coming through.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 10:47:30 AM »
Better to be over dressed than under dressed.  Wear a suit.  Then you can progressively take off items as required.  First the tie, leaving you with a casual suit and dress shirt look.  Then you can always lose the jacket.

This is a wedding....someone elses special day.  It is a day to celebrate love and familty, and the future.  People (guests) are there to enjoy themselves....

This.  As with most other events that are important to someone else where you are an invited guest, keep in mind that it is about the bride and groom, and nobody else.  As long as a guest--any guest--isn't a distraction from what the bride and groom are trying to accomplish, the rest is just details.  So just dress up, fade into the background and don't be a distraction, and enjoy.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Vivace

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 02:09:06 PM »
Suits should be mandatory for any formal event.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 02:28:41 PM »
I'm not sure what the etiquette is for attending a reception if you skip the wedding.  My guess is that it's uncool.  I tend to think of the reception as the reward for suffering through the wedding.  Therefore, skipping the hard part and only showing up for the open bar and high-brow food wouldn't be cool.  The opposite is perfectly acceptable.  You can attend the wedding and skip the reception, but that would be foolish.

As for dress, Eric nailed it.  At the reception, things will be slightly more casual, but not much.  You can probably get away with ditching the tie or the jacket, but not both. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 05:38:38 PM »
In my experience, weddings are getting more and more casual these days. There's little reason to wear a suit. Personally, I would still wear a tie, but even that is becoming less common.

I attended four weddings last year, and I'm in line for at least three this year. A snappy ceremony and a reception with some people I can actually interact with is all I really hope for at this point (besides free alcohol, obviously).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 08:11:33 PM »
Dress for success but enjoy the moment by hanging out with people you know or catching up with family and friends.  Take it in.  No over analyzing needed here.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 03:04:21 PM »
It could be my burning hatred for dressing up that's coming through.  :lol

I hear ya man.  I wore a Virginia Tech polo and Khakis to the last wedding I went to - but it wasn't at a church it was outdoors.  But then again I had to drive 4 hours each way and I wasn't going to do that in my suit.  I was definately the most casually dressed person there and didn't give a rats ass.

Offline Odysseus

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2012, 05:33:07 AM »
I tend to think of the reception as the reward for suffering through the wedding.

Hahaha   :tup