Author Topic: Trayvon Martin  (Read 47844 times)

Offline Scheavo

Re: Trayvon Martin
« Reply #210 on: March 31, 2012, 12:00:25 PM »
Here's the real question: why is this a national issue?

Well for some of us, it's because there was virtually no investigation.

Regardless of what people think, this is why it's a national issue. The news media latched onto it for this reason. Trayvon's family made a big deal about it for this reason. The Department of Justice got called in for this reason. Once the media got into it, I think some people started to think the troubling aspect were the actual event and crime - and I really don't think that's the issue. The issue is that what we know for sure happened, is enough to warrant an arrest and a trial, and a full investigation. That process is not happening, and for reasons that no one can really understand.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #211 on: March 31, 2012, 12:13:11 PM »
Well, that's why I was asking.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #212 on: March 31, 2012, 01:18:16 PM »
Well, that's why I was asking.

Well, that's why I answered. I think a lot of people, and they seem to be mostly on the right for whatever reason, are fundamentally misunderstanding the outrage, and are thus misunderstanding what people are arguing for, what their point is, etc.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #213 on: March 31, 2012, 02:59:18 PM »
My biggest issue with this whole ordeal is Florida's 'Stand Your Ground' law. When there are no other witnesses, how can law enforcement simply go on the word of the shooter?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #214 on: March 31, 2012, 05:29:49 PM »
My biggest issue with this whole ordeal is Florida's 'Stand Your Ground' law. When there are no other witnesses, how can law enforcement simply go on the word of the shooter?
No kidding.  What moron thought this was a good idea?

"No seriously, guys.  I was defending myself.  Honest."
"OK, that's good enough for me."
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ehra

« Reply #215 on: March 31, 2012, 06:41:37 PM »
It's like in Morrowind when you're just walking by minding your own business and some guy's like "You N'wah!" and you're all "oh no you didn't, lightning to the face!" but then the guards murder you. So you load your saved game and this time you provoke the guy until he punches you then you murder him in the face and this time the guards chill because it was totally self defense. Then we laugh about how silly Elder Scrolls logic is, but the joke's on us because our lawmakers were taking notes the whole time.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #216 on: March 31, 2012, 06:42:12 PM »
It's like in Morrowind when you're just walking by minding your own business and some guy's like "You N'wah!" and you're all "oh no you didn't, lightning to the face!" but then the guards murder you. So you load your saved game and this time you provoke the guy until he punches you then you murder him in the face and this time the guards chill because it was totally self defense. Then we laugh about how silly Elder Scrolls logic is, but the joke's on us because our lawmakers were taking notes the whole time.

Fuck. This just blew my mind.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #217 on: March 31, 2012, 10:43:58 PM »
The best point by point analysis I've seen yet.  And further proof that eye-witnesses aren't worth shit.

What is known, what isn’t about Trayvon Martin’s death

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #218 on: March 31, 2012, 11:03:30 PM »

POTY

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #219 on: April 01, 2012, 01:21:33 AM »
The best point by point analysis I've seen yet.  And further proof that eye-witnesses aren't worth shit.

Is there a way to forensically identify who's screaming in the 911 tapes?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #220 on: April 01, 2012, 08:38:04 AM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/trayvon-martin-nbc-news-editing-911-call-306359

It's shocking that NBC would do something like this. /sarcasm

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #221 on: April 01, 2012, 10:23:09 AM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/trayvon-martin-nbc-news-editing-911-call-306359

It's shocking that NBC would do something like this. /sarcasm

Sensationalism at its best.

I feel sorry for the family, but damn this has gone overboard. Guess we'll have to wait for a famous celebrity scandal or a missing white girl.

Also, this is why I can't stand the media in general, they can easily manipulate and people believe...the devils work at its finest
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #222 on: April 01, 2012, 10:59:27 AM »
I'm not to familiar with neighborhood watch programs because I never lived anywhere where they had one, but here's one thing that sort of bothers me.  Why is an untrained citizen patrolling the streets with a gun?  I don't mean training for using a gun, but training on how to deal with situations involving a suspicious person.  I'm a gun owner myself so I'm not anti-gun, but I bet if GZ isn't packing, he probably backs off Trayvon a bit and doesn't make it so obvious he's following him, which may have prevented the whole thing from escalating the way it did. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #223 on: April 01, 2012, 11:42:21 AM »
He wasn't patrolling the streets.  He was going to the grocery store, and carrying a weapon as per his rights.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: April 01, 2012, 01:19:57 PM »
The media always says he's the watch captain, so I just assumed that he was acting in that capacity.  Even then, I'm still not wild about the idea of people arming themselves to do routine things like go to the grocery store...accidents happen, LIKE THIS.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #225 on: April 01, 2012, 02:06:46 PM »
The media always says he's the watch captain, so I just assumed that he was acting in that capacity.  Even then, I'm still not wild about the idea of people arming themselves to do routine things like go to the grocery store...accidents happen, LIKE THIS.
While I obviously disagree about the accidental part, I generally do agree about arming yourself to go to the store; although I'd consider it more of a personal decision than anything else.  As you know, walking around with a loaded weapon completely changes your mindset.  I don't want to have to tote that mindset around just to pick up a gallon of milk.  I'd rather be able to wander around in a casual state of mind and ogle the SMU chicks shopping.  The other aspect is that I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to carry in most of the grocery stores down here since they sell beer/wine.  Leaving a weapon in your car seems dangerous and counterproductive. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: April 01, 2012, 09:32:06 PM »
I didn't mean accident as in he accidentally shot him, I meant accident in that was preventable outcome if he didn't have a gun.  It's that mindset that you mentioned I don't want people having constantly.  Arguments and misunderstandings can't escalate to someone being shot if the gun isn't there in the first place.  At worst you someone gets there ass kicked, and I'd rather have my ass kicked than be dead or having the guilt of taking someones life.  Damn it I sound like Cole.  :lol  I think we are generally agreeing though.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #227 on: April 01, 2012, 10:47:17 PM »
I didn't mean accident as in he accidentally shot him, I meant accident in that was preventable outcome if he didn't have a gun.  It's that mindset that you mentioned I don't want people having constantly.  Arguments and misunderstandings can't escalate to someone being shot if the gun isn't there in the first place.  At worst you someone gets there ass kicked, and I'd rather have my ass kicked than be dead or having the guilt of taking someones life.  Damn it I sound like Cole.  :lol  I think we are generally agreeing though.
I was gonna rag on you for sounding an awful lot like Cole, but you done pointed out a perspective that I hadn't considered before.  Never considered everybody else feeling like I do when carrying a weapon; not a particularly reassuring prospect.  Still, while I'm inclined to agree that a civilized person should probably take a bit of a beating before killing somebody, the fact remains that there's a point where a beatdown moves from fist-fight to something considerably more serious, and not everybody will agree about where that point is.  A reasonable person should be able to prevent it from moving past that point.

That's actually a damned fascinating consideration.  How much damage should a reasonable person take before using deadly force?  Black eye?  Missing teeth? Broken jaw?  Broken limbs? Head trauma? Internal injuries? 
E.F. Benson

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #228 on: April 02, 2012, 07:44:19 AM »
While I obviously disagree about the accidental part, I generally do agree about arming yourself to go to the store; although I'd consider it more of a personal decision than anything else.  As you know, walking around with a loaded weapon completely changes your mindset.  I don't want to have to tote that mindset around just to pick up a gallon of milk.  I'd rather be able to wander around in a casual state of mind and ogle the SMU chicks shopping.  The other aspect is that I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to carry in most of the grocery stores down here since they sell beer/wine.  Leaving a weapon in your car seems dangerous and counterproductive.
This is interesting to me. I guess I have a different point of view being I do carry a weapon at all times. There is no rhyme or reason to when/where someone is going to decide they are going to rob a convinience store and kill the clerk and customers who are there.....which could be at the exact moment you are down there just to pick up a gallon of milk. The 5 O'clock news doesn't lead with a story that warns you John Smith is going to shoot up the Piggly Wiggly....it's BTW John Smith just shot up the Piggly Wiggly and killed the clerk and 4 customers for no apparent reason.
     People (like me) who carry a weapon are 'confortable' trading the responsibility and mindset required to walk around with a weapon when balanced against the fact I am protecting my life and my families life. El Barto makes a good point when saying leaving a weapon in your car is dangerous and counterproductive. The CCW classes I've taken (1 to get my liscense and 3 more to refresh/re-learn/stay up to date on the laws) have all encouraged the participants that if you aren't carrying your weapon a 100% of the time, then you shouldn't even carry it. Here and there carrying is a bad habit to form because you can confuse if you left it in your car/ is it still home in my safe / did I lock my safe / did I lock it up in the car....etc.
   Even here in MO there are places where carrying is "prohibited", but if you are found to be carrying in/on those locations it is not a 'Criminal Offense'. If you are discovered to have a weapon and are asked to leave and you dont (which why would you not) the police are called and they ask you to leave. If you still refuse(which I can't see anyone doing) you face a fine of $100. From there if you decide to make a ruckus you face revokment of your liscense and so on....but I can't imagine anyone not just leaving IF discovered.
  My point is, I easily take the chance of at most...paying a $100 fine over not being prepared. An example would be you are not 'supposed' to bring your weapon into any sporting event that holds over 5,000 people. Now leaving your gun in you car if you are lets say at the Cardinals game in Downtown St Louis is foolish...even in the lockbox I have it is still open to be stolen. So why even take a weapon to the game then? My reasoning is that when leaving the game, walking back to your vehicle at 10-11 at night....is exactly when you'd want to be protected from the element of society that likes to prey on moments like that. I risk 'being discovered' and being kicked out of the game or at worst a $100 fine everytime to assure that when me, my wife and 3 young boys are walking back to our vehicle that our lives aren't ended or she isn't raped or my kids aren't beaten and so on.....and it doesn't bother me a bit.
   And, at this point having had this liscense to carry for close to 6 years now, I can walk around with a 'casual' mindset even with the knowledge of having a weapon on me and understanding the responsibility / danger that accompanies it. It's just something I'm willing to live with considering everything that goes into that decision. Chances are, I NEVER have to even think about drawing my weapon (I've only begun to consider it once and the moment was handled by the business) ever in my life. I don't want to not have that option though.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: April 02, 2012, 10:10:27 AM »
I wouldn't leave a gun in the car either.  I'd leave it at home.  I've never been afraid to go somewhere because it might get robbed.  When that day comes, I'm moving out of town.  I have a friend who is a cop and he CC's everywhere and I'm still not comfortable with it.  I don't care how responsible someone is (or more likely thinks they are), it is simply an instance of risk far outweighing any reward.  My 45 is sitting at home not posing a threat to anyone other than someone who has no business being there, the only place I take it is to the range.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #230 on: April 02, 2012, 10:13:30 AM »
^That's kinda my sentiment as well.  I simply don't feel the need for CC.  And if our society ever devolved to the point where I felt I needed to carry outside my home, I think we would have devolved to the point where the CC laws would largely be irrelevant anyway.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #231 on: April 02, 2012, 10:15:44 AM »
Yeah, it's the risk/reward part that's the kink.  If you're planning a stroll through Harlem at 2 in the AM, then I can see how it'd make sense.  Arming yourself because somebody might rob the grocery store and shoot all the shoppers at the exact time  you're in there borders on paranoia. 

And in Texas, carrying a weapon where it's prohibited, which includes a ton of places, is a class A misdemeanor; not something to write off as trivial.  I'm not sure what the rate of prosecution is for it, but I think I'd just as soon take a pass. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #232 on: April 02, 2012, 12:08:26 PM »
Just for the record, there's a thread about this on another board I'm on, with similar back and forth, do know/don't know, evidence/no evidence, etc.  It hadn't been posted in all weekend, then someone posted in it again this morning.  Plenty of people are tired of seeing the thread and today someone said

This thread needs to die.

Someone then suggested:

give the thread some skittles, tea, and a hoodie.

then call zimmerman.

too soon?

I lol'd.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #233 on: April 02, 2012, 01:09:32 PM »
Basically this incident Tested the "Stand Your Ground" Law, which proved to be full of flaws.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #234 on: April 02, 2012, 02:38:40 PM »

You are my hero of the day. :lol
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #235 on: April 02, 2012, 06:49:31 PM »

I heard it reported that two forensic audio specialists claimed that the screams on the tape weren't that of Zimmerman with the second claiming it definitely was that of Martin. On the other hand, in the same report I heard an interview with an independent audio forensic specialist (though who hadn't heard the recording prior to the interview) who claimed that analysis of this type of thing is rarely, if ever, use screams as you have to compare to known real samples (that are going to be spoken and not screamed; hence changing a lot of aspects to the waves to look at) and *never* conclude only from audio analysis that the person is who the analysis concludes it is.

And before someone says I might've been listening to some Fox News thing, it was a BBC radio service.

Offline j

« Reply #236 on: April 02, 2012, 07:16:31 PM »
^I heard that too.

Also there's another video out there which is better quality and supposedly shows that Zimmerman has some sort of visible injury.  Haven't seen it though.

-J

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #237 on: April 02, 2012, 08:29:35 PM »
Maybe this has already been discussed previously, as I haven't read through the entire thread, but this really gets me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q3ASKmZ-8A

Basically, we should have the right to bear arms, yet not have the freedom to wear whatever the hell we want to wear without fear of losing our lives.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #238 on: April 02, 2012, 09:02:16 PM »
Maybe this has already been discussed previously, as I haven't read through the entire thread, but this really gets me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q3ASKmZ-8A

Basically, we should have the right to bear arms, yet not have the freedom to wear whatever the hell we want to wear without fear of losing our lives.

Not sure if you object to the message or the reality.  I think Geraldo's right.
Quote from: Geraldo's mustache
You have to recognize that this whole stylizing yourself as a gangster, you're gonna be a gangsta wannabe, well people are going to perceive you as a menace. That's what happens.
I think people should be able to wear whateverthehell they want to wear, but they should also recognize that if they want to wear something that makes them look like a thug, that's how people will see them.  I'd say that the problem isn't about freedom to dress yourself, but the glamorizing of a dangerous lifestyle.  Maybe I'll wear fatigues, body armor and balaclava to the grocery store later on (my Wehrmacht dress uniform is at the cleaners).

That's the first time I've seen what Gerlado got so much flack for.  That's unfortunate.  If Bill Cosby had said it there wouldn't have been any problem. 

As for the right to bear arms, that applied to Trayvon as well.  He had the right to carry a gun to protect himself from damn-fool wannabe cops. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #239 on: April 02, 2012, 09:05:10 PM »
I have no idea what else Martin was wearing. But being black in a hoodie doesn't make you a gangsta wannabe. It was raining, perhaps the hood was to protect his head from the rain?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #240 on: April 02, 2012, 09:08:23 PM »
I have no idea what else Martin was wearing. But being black in a hoodie doesn't make you a gangsta wannabe. It was raining, perhaps the hood was to protect his head from the rain?

This. Everyone my age wears hoodies, myself included. If it is raining, why WOULDN'T he have the hood up?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #241 on: April 02, 2012, 09:21:30 PM »
Fair enough.  I assumed he was dressed like a thug. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #242 on: April 02, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »

He very well may have been. But aside from wearing a hoodie in the rain, I haven't read anything that stated that he was thugged out. Well at least this horrible situation will produce a great new campaign for umbrella companies.

"Umbrellas, they'll save your life"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #243 on: April 02, 2012, 11:14:12 PM »

I heard it reported that two forensic audio specialists claimed that the screams on the tape weren't that of Zimmerman with the second claiming it definitely was that of Martin. On the other hand, in the same report I heard an interview with an independent audio forensic specialist (though who hadn't heard the recording prior to the interview) who claimed that analysis of this type of thing is rarely, if ever, use screams as you have to compare to known real samples (that are going to be spoken and not screamed; hence changing a lot of aspects to the waves to look at) and *never* conclude only from audio analysis that the person is who the analysis concludes it is.

And before someone says I might've been listening to some Fox News thing, it was a BBC radio service.

If experts disagree, are you supposed to go by gut instinct? Can't do the rational thing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #244 on: April 03, 2012, 05:15:04 AM »
No, he was just wearing a hoodie.  I have a few hoodies myself, but I should be OK walking around town, since I'm white.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.