Author Topic: The Friends Appreciation Thread  (Read 34402 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The Friends Appreciation Thread
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2012, 06:08:49 AM »
Ross "it tastes like feet!"
Joey "I like it."
Ross "Are you kidding?"
Joey "what's not to like?  Custard - good. Jam - good. Meat - GOOOOOOD"

FTFY.

... Yeah, I'm kind of a loser. 

Also, Ross' delivery of 'it tastes like feet' was so excellent.  :lol

Thank you Captain anal.   :lol. You're right, Ross's delivery was GOLD!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2012, 06:27:45 AM »
The ping pong game with Monica and Mike.  First serve, Mike's like "Oh, uh, by the way.  I'm awesome."  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2012, 07:48:44 AM »
You know who was really funny, but rarely gets talked about?  David, Phoebe's scientist boyfriend, played brilliantly by Hank Azaria.  His halting way of talking always killed me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY2BAuFeMdc

"Would you care for my seat as well?"

"Actually, yeah, that'd be great."

*pauses"  "Well, that's fair, you've had a long trip."

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2012, 09:16:28 AM »
You know who was really funny, but rarely gets talked about?  David, Phoebe's scientist boyfriend, played brilliantly by Hank Azaria.  His halting way of talking always killed me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY2BAuFeMdc

"Would you care for my seat as well?"

"Actually, yeah, that'd be great."

*pauses"  "Well, that's fair, you've had a long trip."

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
That scene with Mike is marvelous. The guy is so charming.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2012, 09:19:00 AM »
This scene is win-saturated. So many funny things concentrated in such a short time-span. Ross tries to kiss his cousin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me6Y16NpDug

The way he delivers the "sexiest movie ever" and "forget it, I'm going in" phrases is hilarious.

I think Ross has one of the greatest collections of awkward moments for any character, ever.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2012, 09:28:56 AM »
Ross tries to kiss his cousin

Possibly best Ross scene ever.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2012, 11:48:14 AM »
Cousin or not, who wouldn't try to kiss Denise Richards? :biggrin:

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2012, 12:02:16 PM »
Best part about that one is the slow-mo scene and music whenever somebody stares at her.  And at the end when Phoebe falls under her spell too and thinks to herself "go for it, she's not your cousin" or something like that  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2016, 10:28:32 PM »
Been catching some of the reruns lately again here and there and laughing a lot at them.  I still say that Chandler (for seasons 1-5) is one of the funniest characters ever.  He was still funny later on, but in the early seasons, his delivery was always so on the money. 

In order of funniest (overall, from start to finish):

1. Chandler
2. Joey
3. Phoebe
4. Ross
5. Monica
6. Rachel

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2016, 01:46:53 AM »
Yeah, Chandler is probably my favorite too. But I'd give Ross some love since some of my favorite scenes in the show involves him.

1. The whole UNAGI-episode and especially the ending when Ross (with a straight face) asks the self-defense guy how to best attack women, and tells him that he tried attacking his ex wife and her friend

2. The episode when Rachel's dad finds out she is pregnant and goes to confront Ross about it, and Mona is there. The cherry on the cake is when Joey calls in from Chandler's bachelor party and asks if Ross knows anything about the hooker, in the middle of him trying to calm Mona and Rachel's dad down

3. Ross insisting he is fine with Joey and Rachel going out while getting really drunk

4. Ross having to go all over town to make it in time for his other class at another school, so he wears roller blades.. I love it when he just passes out

I think all of those (or most of them) are from the latter seasons, but for whatever reason the latter seasons are the ones I have the most memories from. I think they might have played those reruns more on TV here.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2016, 03:05:39 AM »
Chandler is quite easily my favorite, then probably Ross. My favorite of the girls is Monica and least favorite is Rachel by far. Joey and Phoebe are funny, but they're not really believable characters, as in I don't really buy that they're really people. More like, ways to get jokes across.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2016, 04:30:24 AM »
Been catching some of the reruns lately again here and there and laughing a lot at them.  I still say that Chandler (for seasons 1-5) is one of the funniest characters ever.  He was still funny later on, but in the early seasons, his delivery was always so on the money. 

1. Chandler
2. Joey
3. Phoebe
4. Ross
5. Monica
6. Rachel

I'd agree with this, but even as good as Chandler was early on, Joey still gets my money as the funniest character. 

Damn I wish I had the time to re-watch these.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2016, 08:02:12 AM »
Yeah, Chandler is probably my favorite too. But I'd give Ross some love since some of my favorite scenes in the show involves him.

Ross was arguably the funniest the last few seasons, but he was so annoying and not really funny at all early on, so when taking it all in as a whole, he just doesn't stack up to the other guys, IMO.

Chandler is quite easily my favorite, then probably Ross. My favorite of the girls is Monica and least favorite is Rachel by far. Joey and Phoebe are funny, but they're not really believable characters, as in I don't really buy that they're really people. More like, ways to get jokes across.

I can see that.  Then again, didn't Lisa Kudrow basically play that same character in almost everything else she has ever done? :lol :lol  Heck, even if Analyze This, she comes across as Phoebe playing the wife of a shrink who inadvertently got connected to the mob.

I'd agree with this, but even as good as Chandler was early on, Joey still gets my money as the funniest character. 

Part of what made both Joey and Chandler so funny were their hilarious facial expressions.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2016, 08:06:29 AM »
One moment which makes me LOL hard every time is around :48 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FToS7j8IvxI

"You're fake laughing, too, right?"

"Oh, the tears are real."

"Okay."

Joey's delivery of that last line while still smiling and laughing in pain is so awesome.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2016, 08:49:44 AM »
Part of what made both Joey and Chandler so funny were their hilarious facial expressions.

Joey's 'shocked' expressions were gold.

I can't find it on YT, but one of my favorite Joey lines was when he was moving out in season 2, and he/Chandler were playing for the foosball table

Chandler - Your men are gonna get scored on more times than your little sister.
Joey... whoa, whoa, WHOA, WHOA!!!!!  .... which sister?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2016, 09:43:09 AM »

1. Chandler
2. Joey
3. Phoebe
4. Ross
5. Monica
6. Rachel

Switch Rachel and Monica, and that would be my list

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2016, 10:19:28 AM »
I thought S5 was the worst. At least any Emily episode.

The scrappy doo of FRIENDS.

I like the later series where it goes more "comedy" and less "sitcom".

The humour is more weird and hilarious IMO.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2016, 10:29:22 AM »
I don't really remember much of the earlier seasons. I've seen it all at least twice, with some of the latter seasons more times, but to me those were more enjoyable. I don't know which season it happened, but Monica and Chandler hooking up was like a turning point, and most of what I remember liking (memorable episodes and such) happened after that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2016, 11:35:54 AM »

Joey's 'shocked' expressions were gold.

For sure.  The one where Ross dates Janice ends up her telling Joey, "Well, Joey, that's two...," before laughing and leaving, leading to Joey giving Ross that big-eyed HOLY SHIT look.

Switch Rachel and Monica, and that would be my list

Monica and Rachel kind of switched places over time.

Early on, Monica was funny, while Rachel was usually a total bitch (albeit a hot as hell one). Just look at how rude she always was to Julie, who had nothing to her ever except date a guy Rachel was secretly in love with.

Later on, Rachel was funny, while Monica became really irritating and completely self-centered.

I thought S5 was the worst. At least any Emily episode.

Emily didn't bother me, and she was in much more of S4 than S5.  She was talked about a lot in 5, due to the marriage being in limbo and then the breakup, but we saw her mostly in 4.

And Season 4 is, for me, hands down the best season of the show by a wide margin.  Everything came together that season.

I don't really remember much of the earlier seasons. I've seen it all at least twice, with some of the latter seasons more times, but to me those were more enjoyable. I don't know which season it happened, but Monica and Chandler hooking up was like a turning point, and most of what I remember liking (memorable episodes and such) happened after that.

I think the turning point was Chandler and Monica getting engaged at the end of S6.  The show was very hit or miss after that, after being mostly hit prior.  Season 7 sure wasn't helped by the character Tag, who was not only an awful character, but was played by a terrible actor.

Plus, the serious moments early on were always done well, while later on, it's like they were too worried about the comedy always being at the forefront.   

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2016, 05:57:49 PM »
Opposite of characters that didn't work, what are some side-characters you guys did like? Personally I always had a soft spot for Paul Rudd as Mike. He just seems like such a normal guy, and his interactions with Phoebe (and her crazy shenanigans) often resulted in some hilarious scenes with him completely baffled over what was happening.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2016, 10:14:55 AM »
Paul Rudd is always great, so yeah, Mike was great. So was David, played brilliantly by Hank Azaria.

Even though she was only in a couple episodes, I thought Reese Witherspoon was great as Rachel's bratty sister Jill.  "The only thing I can't have is dairy!" :lol :lol :lol

The parents were always great, especially Jack.  The scene early in Season 3 when he checks on Monica following her break-up with Richard was one of the most touching of the entire series.

Monica's boyfriend's pre-Chandler were great. Both Richard and Pete were great.

I never much cared for Janice, especially later on when they'd have her pop up randomly out of nowhere, seemingly to get cheap pops out of the live studio audience.

You have to give props to Gunther, who had to have been in nearly every episode (except the vacation ones like Vegas, Barbados, etc.).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2016, 11:37:06 AM »
I liked the episode with Jon Lovitz playing that blind date.

" Don't touch my coat ! "

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2016, 01:11:01 PM »
You have to give props to Gunther, who had to have been in nearly every episode (except the vacation ones like Vegas, Barbados, etc.).

According to IMDB, he was the #7 character - in 150 some odd episodes. 

FYI, Jon Lovitz was a food critic that Monica was cooking for, and showed up completely stoned.  That was a great scene.

Another favorite Joey-ism:

Chandler - Joey, what would you do if you were omnipotent?
Joey - probably kill myself.
Ross - Joey... OM-nipotent.
Joey - Oh Ross, I'm so sorry.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2016, 01:19:17 PM »
You reminded me ... ( i can't remember the exact quote but the gist is the same )...

Joey : Is Staten Island really an island ?

Chandler : Yes.

Joey : Oh, i thought it was like Long Island.

Chandler : ....Also an island.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2016, 05:06:47 PM »
Well, thanks to this discussion, I will now be revisiting the series via Netflix. I hope you are all happy now

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2016, 03:41:36 PM »
Phoebe and Joey are my two favorite characters. About as dumb as they come, but really likable. Every other character goes through periods where I just can't stand them, especially Monica, who toward the end of the show becomes so unbearable that Mrs. TOX and I created a tradition of saying "Monica sucks" every time she does something annoying. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2016, 10:59:51 AM »
My favourite character was Chandler as well, but one of my favourite episodes/scenes is the one in which Phoebe encourages a shy Ross to show his keyboard chops, and his expressions while playing :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLa8Br569gA

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2016, 05:21:50 PM »
Ross playing any kind of instrument is awesome. I always loved the bagpipe-gag. Monica and Chandler's reactions to hearing Ross playing the bagpipe for the first time is spot on. "It sounds like the dying cats parade". Chandler squinting his eyes and saying "I think if you listen really closely... i THINK it's celebration by kool and the gang".  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2016, 05:24:17 PM »
I love the moments when you can tell the laughter is coming from the actors actually laughing uncontrollably.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2016, 05:47:58 PM »
I love the moments when you can tell the laughter is coming from the actors actually laughing uncontrollably.

A good example of that is Ross playing the bagpipe at the end credits and Phoebe (probably not even scripted) starts singing along to the noise and you can just tell Jennifer Aniston cracking up wasn't scripted. It's real tears!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2016, 09:35:34 PM »
Yep, and the outtakes are even funnier, with them all losing it.

The best outtake is still Ross yelling PIVOT over and over. :lol :lol :lol

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2019, 04:18:58 AM »
Jennifer Aniston: "Something is happening"

:omg: :omg:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2019, 05:29:25 AM »
I'm the... HOLIDAY ARMADILLOOOOO

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2019, 08:42:32 AM »

Yeah....it's called a cash grab  :lol 

Maybe it'd be neat and done well but honestly, no matter what they do it's not going to recapture what Friends was
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2019, 09:13:58 AM »

Yeah....it's called a cash grab  :lol 

Maybe it'd be neat and done well but honestly, no matter what they do it's not going to recapture what Friends was

Wasn't a movie or something announced months ago?