Author Topic: The Friends Appreciation Thread  (Read 35652 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The Friends Appreciation Thread
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2019, 09:16:45 AM »
Jennifer Aniston: "Something is happening"

Yeah....it's called a cash grab  :lol 

Maybe it'd be neat and done well but honestly, no matter what they do it's not going to recapture what Friends was

Wasn't a movie or something announced months ago?

I think that was a hoax
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online pg1067

« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2019, 01:08:18 PM »

:omg: :omg:

AWESOME (if true)!!!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2019, 08:29:45 PM »

Has she landed a decent acting gig for the first time in 15 years?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2019, 09:43:59 PM »

Has she landed a decent acting gig for the first time in 15 years?

I really liked her performance in Derailed.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online faizoff

« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2019, 09:56:11 PM »
I really liked Aniston in Horrible Bosses, I thought she was hilarious. Also she was great in We're the Millers.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2019, 04:38:50 AM »
I mean compared to the rest, Jennifer Aniston is arguably the most relevant out of them in 2019. I've seen Matt appear on some late night show on youtube but I feel like i haven't seen Schwimmer or Perry in a LONG time. I think a new season or movie could be fun, I would have lowered expectations but it would be nice to see where they are all at now and what happened with their lives.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2019, 05:12:12 AM »
Wasn't the OJ series the biggest thing Schwimmer has done?  Both Matt's had sitcoms recently, though I never watched either.  Not sure what Kudrow has done; Cox had Cougartown for a few years, and that was pretty decent.

So yeah... Anniston is definitely the most successful of the bunch.  She delivered a VERY powerful performance in Cake.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2019, 05:57:25 AM »
Wasn't the OJ series the biggest thing Schwimmer has done?  Both Matt's had sitcoms recently, though I never watched either.  Not sure what Kudrow has done; Cox had Cougartown for a few years, and that was pretty decent.

So yeah... Anniston is definitely the most successful of the bunch.  She delivered a VERY powerful performance in Cake.

Leblanc has had great success. He hosted the new Top Gear for a few seasons as well. 

Online faizoff

« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2019, 06:39:25 AM »
Matt LeBlanc was in a show called Episodes and I think he won an Emmy for it too. I enjoyed that show a lot, he's playing 'Matt LeBlanc' and how he's doing post Friends.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online pg1067

« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2019, 10:41:39 AM »
Wasn't the OJ series the biggest thing Schwimmer has done?

Voice acting, but still.

He's also been on the reincarnated Will & Grace, which my wife watches.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2019, 10:49:46 AM »
Schwimmer had a decent, but limited, role in Band of Brothers. I thought he was excellent in that.,

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2019, 11:16:14 AM »
Schwimmer had a decent, but limited, role in Band of Brothers. I thought he was excellent in that.,

Yeah....true. He fit that role pretty well.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #117 on: October 31, 2019, 11:24:05 AM »
My kid went through a Friends phase not long ago, and so I got to revisit a few episodes, and... they didn't really hold up for me.

Favorite characters:
Chandler
Phoebe
Monica (sometimes)
Joey (sometimes)

For me, Rachel and Ross are funny if the situation they are in is funny, but otherwise I find them annoying.   I REALLY do not like Ross (or David Schwimmer, for that matter). I get that the "whiny-ness" is part of the character and part of the funny, but it's still annoying to me.   

Since it's come up, I don't find Jennifer Aniston all that attractive (Phoebe, on the other hand...) so there wasn't that enamored-ness about her.

One guest appearance that I thought funny was Fisher Stevens as the therapist that Phoebe was dating.  "You and your stupid big cups, which, I'm sorry, might as well have nipples on them..." 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2019, 12:59:30 PM »
My favorite character was Chandler before he started dating Monica.
Next was Joey, then Phoebe.

I couldn't really stand any of the other characters.  Other than Paul Rudd's character.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online pg1067

« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2019, 02:57:39 PM »
My kid went through a Friends phase not long ago, and so I got to revisit a few episodes, and... they didn't really hold up for me.

Favorite characters:
Chandler
Phoebe
Monica (sometimes)
Joey (sometimes)

For me, Rachel and Ross are funny if the situation they are in is funny, but otherwise I find them annoying.   I REALLY do not like Ross (or David Schwimmer, for that matter). I get that the "whiny-ness" is part of the character and part of the funny, but it's still annoying to me.   

Since it's come up, I don't find Jennifer Aniston all that attractive (Phoebe, on the other hand...) so there wasn't that enamored-ness about her.

One guest appearance that I thought funny was Fisher Stevens as the therapist that Phoebe was dating.  "You and your stupid big cups, which, I'm sorry, might as well have nipples on them..."

I wasn't around when this thread was started, but I love Friends.  Probably my favorite sitcom of all time.  I watched it from day 1.  I worked with a girl who had "the Rachel" haircut (before Rachel did).

Phoebe is my least favorite of the female characters and, IMO, the least attractive (Kudrow in Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion, on the other hand...).  Aniston's and Cox's early series looks were very 90s.  I generally preferred Cox toward the beginning of the show and Aniston later.  Also not a Ross fan.  He never really recovered after they made him crazy jealous in season 3 (the Mark storyline).  All the other characters range between good and great.

For me, what's lasting about the show is how the characters developed and how the writers harkened back to earlier episodes (also didn't hurt that I'm basically the same age as the characters are supposed to be.  They did a lot of "How I Met Your Mother" type things, but not in such an obvious way.  Although the show was a hit from the beginning, season 1 (from which the Phoebe dates Roger, the shrink episode comes) was fairly uneven, which isn't surprising for a new show.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #120 on: November 01, 2019, 02:19:44 AM »
Chandler would be my favorite but I think Ross would be a close second. Some of the episodes I've laughed the hardest at have been because of Ross, one that comes to mind is the one where Rachel and Phoebe are taking self defense class and Ross goes to their instructor and tries to get tips on how to attack them. The episode when he goes to get a spray tan is another good one. :D

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #121 on: November 01, 2019, 06:01:44 AM »
Chandler would be my favorite but I think Ross would be a close second. Some of the episodes I've laughed the hardest at have been because of Ross, one that comes to mind is the one where Rachel and Phoebe are taking self defense class and Ross goes to their instructor and tries to get tips on how to attack them. The episode when he goes to get a spray tan is another good one. :D

I find Ross to be pretty unbearable for most of the show, but some of my hardest laughs in the series come from him. The super white teeth, holiday armadillo, and "PIVOT!" split my sides every time.

Online pg1067

« Reply #122 on: November 01, 2019, 10:06:30 AM »

I find Ross to be pretty unbearable for most of the show, but some of my hardest laughs in the series come from him. The super white teeth, holiday armadillo, and "PIVOT!" split my sides every time.

Ross was at his best in single-episode storylines (as opposed to multi-episode arcs relating to most of his relationships with women).  The above were all great.  Add to that list the leather pants and spray tan episodes.

On another subject, one of the absolute best Joey moments was in the episode where they watch the video of Ross and Rachel hooking up (when they conceived Emma) (s8:e4).  R&R were arguing about who instigated the sex, and Ross said something like, "we don't need to argue about who came on to who," and Joey responded with "WHOM," at which point everyone else just stopped and looked at him.  After a few seconds, Joey says, with a very smug look on his face, "That's right!"  Well written and perfectly delivered.

The One Where Joey Speaks French (s10:e13) is also an absolute classic.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #123 on: November 01, 2019, 10:14:03 AM »

Ross was at his best in single-episode storylines (as opposed to multi-episode arcs relating to most of his relationships with women).  The above were all great.  Add to that list the leather pants and spray tan episodes.

For sure. .

My favorite Joey moment is when he goes to protect his meatball sub when they think they hear s gunshot during the ride along.

Online pg1067

« Reply #124 on: November 01, 2019, 10:25:12 AM »

For sure. .

My favorite Joey moment is when he goes to protect his meatball sub when they think they hear s gunshot during the ride along.

Another one:

Joey:  "All right, Rach. The big question is, 'does he like you?'  All right?  Because if he doesn't like you, this is all a moo point."
Rachel:  "Huh. A moo point?"
Joey:  "Yeah, it's like a cow's opinion.  It just doesn't matter.  It's moo."
Rachel:  "Have I been living with him for too long, or did that all just make sense?"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: November 01, 2019, 10:26:35 AM »
PG just gave me a thought:   I'm going to have to think about it a little bit, but as I scan down shows I liked, I'm not sure I EVER really liked the "arcs" in ANY show.  It always seemed that that's when the shows jumped the shark, when the story line sort of overwhelmed the funny.  Yeah, I know, "people gotta grow", but I have enough "growth" in my life, I don't need to watch Sheldon Cooper find a soul.  :)

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #126 on: November 01, 2019, 10:53:16 AM »

For sure. .

Another one:

Joey:  "All right, Rach. The big question is, 'does he like you?'  All right?  Because if he doesn't like you, this is all a moo point."
Rachel:  "Huh. A moo point?"
Joey:  "Yeah, it's like a cow's opinion.  It just doesn't matter.  It's moo."
Rachel:  "Have I been living with him for too long, or did that all just make sense?"

That one is excellent  :lol 

I love when Chandler and Rachel are eating cake off the floor in the hallway and when Joey stumbles upon them, he crouches down, pulls a fork out of his inside pocket, and says "alright, what are we having?"  :lol 

The soup commercial audition is good too.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #127 on: November 01, 2019, 10:55:07 AM »
PG just gave me a thought:   I'm going to have to think about it a little bit, but as I scan down shows I liked, I'm not sure I EVER really liked the "arcs" in ANY show.  It always seemed that that's when the shows jumped the shark, when the story line sort of overwhelmed the funny.  Yeah, I know, "people gotta grow", but I have enough "growth" in my life, I don't need to watch Sheldon Cooper find a soul.  :)

I'd say this is the case for me as well, but there are a few that stand out as an exception with little thought.   

I loved pretty much every arch in the show Parks and Recreation, and a lot of the arcs in Curb Your Enthusiasm are what make the show.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: November 01, 2019, 11:36:01 AM »
Seinfeld writing a Pilot for NBC would like a word with you Stads.

Joey was my favorite character.  So many great moments.  Love the time when Chandler gets him to adopt the stage name "Joseph Stalin". 

@ Pg... my favorite moment in that episode of Ross/Rachel conceiving is where Rachel tries to justify the story was told to a friend of hers by Ken Adams, and Joey immediately points to himself.  Not sure why I loved that moment, but I lost my shit.

Online pg1067

« Reply #129 on: November 01, 2019, 12:10:37 PM »
@ Pg... my favorite moment in that episode of Ross/Rachel conceiving is where Rachel tries to justify the story was told to a friend of hers by Ken Adams, and Joey immediately points to himself.  Not sure why I loved that moment, but I lost my shit.

I thought they set that up really well in the prior scenes in that episode.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: November 01, 2019, 08:03:27 PM »
Seinfeld writing a Pilot for NBC would like a word with you Stads.

This is to Chino as well, but in my head I sort of rationalized Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm, because I didn't really consider them having arcs.  The only ones I could think of was George's marriage, and Larry's separation, and those weren't really arcs per se, because nothing really changed.  There wasn't any real growth from any of those characters, and in fact, Seinfeld sort of bragged about that.   Not like Sheldon Cooper who basically redefined himself over the x years of Big Bang Theory.   Hawkeye Pearce went soft, even Archie Bunker went soft at the end (what was the show sans-Edith?) it's like everyone wants to be lovable after a while.   

Online pg1067

« Reply #131 on: January 07, 2020, 05:11:09 PM »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #132 on: January 07, 2020, 10:22:06 PM »
The Brits did it better with Coupling.

....by like a million billion.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #133 on: January 08, 2020, 02:20:21 AM »

Did what? I love coupling, but these shows have almost nothing in common.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online pg1067

« Reply #134 on: January 08, 2020, 03:30:29 PM »

Did what? I love coupling, but these shows have almost nothing in common.

This reminds me of something Rik Emmett has said in relation to the numerous comparisons that journalists and fans used to draw between Triumph and Rush.  Something along the lines of, "we were both 3-piece bands from the Toronto area, but that's about it."  Friends and Coupling were both sitcoms with a 6 member (3M & 3F) ensemble cast of (relatively) young adults.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #135 on: January 09, 2020, 04:06:13 AM »
I think Coupling is funnier and better written but it's also hard to compare the two on a quality level as Coupling's number of episodes amount to just a bit more than 1 season of Friends. And yeah the comparison that its about 3 men, 3 women - all friends (some in relationships) just feels very surface level and they do feel very different I'd say.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #136 on: January 09, 2020, 06:11:12 AM »
And yet, because the premise is the same (6 friends. 3M/3F, same age, hang out in the same pub/coffee house, writing that mostly revolves around their romantic relationships....etc) most of the general public will inevitably make the comparison. But I agree that once you actually watch the show, the differences abound. And those differences show Coupling and a richer and far superior product IMO.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #137 on: January 09, 2020, 06:55:31 AM »
And yet, because the premise is the same (6 friends. 3M/3F, same age, hang out in the same pub/coffee house, writing that mostly revolves around their romantic relationships....etc) most of the general public will inevitably make the comparison. But I agree that once you actually watch the show, the differences abound. And those differences show Coupling and a richer and far superior product IMO.

I mean, I say this as a HUGE coupling fan, but as someone else pointed out, it's really easy to say something with essentially 1 season's worth of episodes is superior to 10 seasons (or whatever Friends had). And, let's be honest here, Coupling's Fourth series was much much weaker than the first three when Jeff left the show. Friends had 236 episodes, which is basically 10 times more than Coupling. Firefly has the same issue. It's really easy to look at something with just a few episodes as amazing since it didn't really have time to fail. You give Coupling 200 more episodes and you'll get a very very mediocre show, as it was heading toward.

Again, giant fan of Coupling.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online pg1067

« Reply #138 on: January 09, 2020, 09:25:44 AM »
Having heard a lot of comments about Coupling along the lines of what Ben wrote, I started watching it.  I think I got through the first to episodes.

My first impression was that the production value was terrible.  It looked like something produced by a college student.

In terms of writing/dialog and acting, it felt like someone said, "hey, let's make a Friends-like porno movie, but without any nudity or actual sex."  The jokes were juvenile (basically a one-trick pony), and the acting was mostly horrible.  I like Gina Bellman from her time on leverage, but she was downright awful.  The best thing about it was Susan, and that's only because she was hot.

Absolutely NOTHING about those two episodes was done "better" than anything Friends did.  Friends took a few episodes to find its groove, so I'll keep watching, but unless things improve significantly, I can't myself making it past four or five episodes.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 11:47:00 AM by pg1067 »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #139 on: January 10, 2020, 07:49:57 AM »
Having heard a lot of comments about Coupling along the lines of what Ben wrote, I started watching it.  I think I got through the first to episodes.

My first impression was that the production value was terrible.  It looked like something produced by a college student.

In terms of writing/dialog and acting, it felt like someone said, "hey, let's make a Friends-like porno movie, but without any nudity or actual sex."  The jokes were juvenile (basically a one-trick pony), and the acting was mostly horrible.  I like Gina Bellman from her time on leverage, but she was downright awful.  The best thing about it was Susan, and that's only because she was hot.

Absolutely NOTHING about those two episodes was done "better" than anything Friends did.  Friends took a few episodes to find its groove, so I'll keep watching, but unless things improve significantly, I can't myself making it past four or five episodes.

The first episodes are more of an introduction of characters. Sex, Death, and Nudity is the first one that made me fall out of my chair. (The giggle loop is still a running gag in my house to this day).

But it’s Steven Moffatt’s writing in seasons 2&3 especially that make it the greatest and funniest show in history to me. In fact it has passed MASH as my all time favorite show.