Author Topic: Why Is America So Isolated?  (Read 15869 times)

Offline the Catfishman

Re: Why Is America So Isolated?
« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2012, 12:40:25 AM »
I don't really think that's a primary reason, it should be easier for you guys to travel, precisely because everybody else speaks English. I had to learn, Dutch, English, German and French in high school, that doesn't mean I only travel to countries where they speak those languages and I don't think that's the case for any of my fellow Dutchmen (+ it's not like I speak any French anymore).

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2012, 01:58:31 AM »
Err, I guess what I agreed with is that we should teach foreign languages.

Offline the Catfishman

« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2012, 03:00:18 AM »
yeah it was more in response to 'MasterShakezula'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2012, 03:57:19 AM »
There's every chance that you, the American reader, having never left your country, have possibly seen more geographical diversity than I will in my lifetime.
Just here in North Carolina, we have beaches and coastline, a large coastal plain, which becomes a section known as the Piedmont as you head west, which includes rolling hills and occasional mountains.  Then when you get into the far west, you hit the subranges of the Appalachian Mountains, including the highest peak east of the Mississippi River, Mount Mitchell, at 6,684 feet (2,037 meters).  So, beaches to mountains.  Also, there is a large wetlands environment in the coastal plain. 

So I could see a plethora of geographical diversity without ever leaving my own state, much less leaving my country.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2012, 01:30:31 PM »
Not just geographical, but zoological. I guess one thing I forget a lot, is that Europe doesn't have too many wild animals left (unless I'm unaware of a very successful re-population?). My example is far from typical, but I mean, within a 20 mile radius of my house, there's probably at least one grizzly bear, some black bears, deer herds, elk herds, beavers, coyotes, and perhaps a couple of wolves, some mountain lions, perhaps lynxes or bobcats (less likely), maybe some wolverines, and more.

But don't get me wrong, if I had the money, I'd probably be on a plane to Europe within a couple of days, and then Asia, Africa, South America.

Offline Omega

« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2012, 01:39:26 PM »
There's every chance that you, the American reader, having never left your country, have possibly seen more geographical diversity than I will in my lifetime.
Just here in North Carolina, we have beaches and coastline, a large coastal plain, which becomes a section known as the Piedmont as you head west, which includes rolling hills and occasional mountains.  Then when you get into the far west, you hit the subranges of the Appalachian Mountains, including the highest peak east of the Mississippi River, Mount Mitchell, at 6,684 feet (2,037 meters).  So, beaches to mountains.  Also, there is a large wetlands environment in the coastal plain. 

So I could see a plethora of geographical diversity without ever leaving my own state, much less leaving my country.

When I first moved to NC, my emotional state regarding the place was somewhere in between "Wow, lots of trees! Pretty!" and "Holy shit! I'm in Narnia!"

While NC is undoubtedly a beautiful state, I also greatly recommend heading out West and taking in the majestic desert vistas. Particularly in Arizona and Southern Utah. Experiencing a desert sunset is just one of those things that cannot be adequately described via text.
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2012, 03:28:03 PM »
Well, I've been to Colorado, so I think I've seen a little bit of that.  I was in Colorado Springs, visited Red Rocks and the Garden of the Gods.  Unbelievably beautiful, nothing like that here in NC.

I would love to visit out west again. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2012, 07:16:46 PM »
Is that anywhere near Steamboat Springs? I used to have an uncle out there.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2012, 08:05:28 PM »
Is that anywhere near Steamboat Springs? I used to have an uncle out there.
I have no idea, that was 10 days, about 22 years ago *shudders*

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #114 on: April 10, 2012, 08:11:58 PM »
Colorado Springs and Steamboat Springs are just over 4 hours away from each other.