Author Topic: Pull Me Under still The Greatest Hit.....apparently.  (Read 10958 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Pull Me Under still The Greatest Hit.....apparently.
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2012, 08:03:03 AM »
Haha, I have heard these songs on Finnish radio:
The Glass Prison
Pull Me Under
Constant Motion
A Rite Of Passage
I Walk Beside You
Lifting Shadows Off A Dream
The Mirror
Space Dye Vest
Lines In The Sand
Build me Up, Break Me Down

at least..  ;)

It is always as cool as at the first time, always like "HEY, I know that song!!" feeling  :)
I've never heard any of those songs on the Finnish radio, but I remember hearing Through Her Eyes back in '09 at a local store where radio was on. Then again, I never listen to radio on my own! :lol According to Soitto.info stats, that show how many times certain songs have been played on Radio Rock, Lie has been played 92 times in total, Constant Motion 54, The Mirror 50, As I Am twice and some others once.

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2012, 09:13:37 AM »
KSHE-95 here in St. Louis played the crap out of Pull Me Under when it was first out, and has never really stopped playing it, although it is usually one of those songs that might get played once or twice a week.  But still.  They also played Take the Time and Another Day to death when they were first out, but I think the shelf life of both of those were pretty short.  I also remember them playing the edit of Home like mad for several months when Scenes was first out.
God I miss KSHE.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2012, 02:18:12 PM »
Wither was played on radio 2 before in the uk. Shortly after bc&sl came out.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2012, 03:41:21 PM »
Whispering Bob Harris' show, I'm guessing? Seems like he'd be open to the idea.

Just before BCSL came out - a matter of days - there was a Dream Theater night on Planet Rock, to celebrate; they had interviews, songs, and I thought "this is for me." I'm a bit of a spoilerphobe, so I'd managed to avoid all leaks, most reviews - listened (extensively!) to A Rite of Passage, but there were only five more songs to hear so I wanted to basically stay a Black Clouds virgin, letting the excitement boil over, waiting for the big day.

Which made it pretty much the worst possible evening to tune in and hear A Nightmare to Remember.

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2012, 06:31:04 PM »
i've never heard dt on the radio, and probably never will as I only listen to NPR

I was at a bar recently and there was Rock Band competition in the back and they played Panic Attack

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2012, 09:26:46 PM »
Back in late-'03/early-'04 I heard As I Am on a local radio station here in Chicago.  That was the one and only time I heard DT on the radio, although admittedly I always preferred to listen to my tape deck/cd player growing up and I pretty much stopped listening to the radio altogether after '04 anyways, so perhaps I am not in the best position to make an objective assessment of how much DT gets airplay.

Offline Jay.Ess

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2012, 10:58:24 PM »
Triple J, a national radio station here in Australia often whips out a Dream Theater track in their metal segment.. I heard The Mirror played once about a year ago :metal

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2012, 05:43:08 AM »
The only DT songs I've ever heard on the radio was Another Day, about 3 years ago.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2012, 10:04:07 AM »
I heard Pull Me Under on Buzzsaw(same as Boneyard pretty much) on Sirius radio before they bought XM, about 2 years ago. That's it.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2012, 10:49:14 AM »
My introduction to DT was PMU on the radio, it was a solid part of the rotation for about six months, along with Another Day.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2012, 10:49:49 AM »
I heard Constant Motion on the radio before Systematic Chaos came out. On Eddie Trunk's show on Q1043 NY. Ive heard Panic Attack in various places, usually involving Rock Band or someone playing it at a bar I went to one time.

Offline ironhead

« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2012, 11:12:35 AM »
I heard an edited version of As I Am once around the time TOT was released.  That's it.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2012, 03:56:01 AM »
Never heard any DT on the radio, ever.
I live in Norway, so I should be excused. This country is musically retarded, and especially the radio. I've never heard anything progressive or metal-ish on the radio, except for Metallica (which I hate). The only thing being played is Bruce Springsteen and pop music +-10% from him, and techno/trance/"R&B" (called pop music in 2012 I guess, but it's all 90's European techno/dance done poorly). Pretty much no real black music (as in African American), no metal and not much else either. I highly doubt that I've heard as much as 5% of the artists I listen to on the radio, I've had to use internet and friends to find it.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline Mind Trail

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2012, 09:04:06 AM »
I live in Norway, so I should be excused. This country is musically retarded, and especially the radio. I've never heard anything progressive or metal-ish on the radio, except for Metallica (which I hate). The only thing being played is Bruce Springsteen and pop music +-10% from him, and techno/trance/"R&B" (called pop music in 2012 I guess, but it's all 90's European techno/dance done poorly). Pretty much no real black music (as in African American), no metal and not much else either. I highly doubt that I've heard as much as 5% of the artists I listen to on the radio, I've had to use internet and friends to find it.

I heard Wither once on P1 (a listener requested the song) and actually saw a music video of Forsaken on NRK! And  that was on the children's channel  :lol
"For thirty years where have I been..."

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2012, 11:07:43 AM »
Haha, I have heard these songs on Finnish radio:
The Glass Prison
Pull Me Under
Constant Motion
A Rite Of Passage
I Walk Beside You
Lifting Shadows Off A Dream
The Mirror
Space Dye Vest
Lines In The Sand
Build me Up, Break Me Down

at least..  ;)

It is always as cool as at the first time, always like "HEY, I know that song!!" feeling  :)
I've never heard any of those songs on the Finnish radio, but I remember hearing Through Her Eyes back in '09 at a local store where radio was on. Then again, I never listen to radio on my own! :lol According to Soitto.info stats, that show how many times certain songs have been played on Radio Rock, Lie has been played 92 times in total, Constant Motion 54, The Mirror 50, As I Am twice and some others once.

Oh, I forgot Lie! You should listen Klaus Flaming's radio programs (at least wednesday evenings) and you can suggest music to be played on the show. And thanks for that link, I had forgotten that site! But that is wrong info. The right site is here: https://soitto.info/kanava.php?kanava=radiorock&eid=8891&kid=49846

Top 10 Radio Rock's DT plays:
558   Constant Motion
536   The Mirror
354   Lie
84   The Shattered Fortress [that is interesting!!]
74   A Rite Of Passage
11   Build Me Up, Break Me Down
10   A Rite Of Passage (album version)
10   Pull Me Under
9   I Walk Beside You
4   Stargazer

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 11:21:05 AM by YtseJamittaja »
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline ibosmiley

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2012, 07:13:16 PM »
The only time I really heard Dream Theater on the radio was back during the Awake-FII era.  When I was wrapping up my senior year in HS the one local college station did a metal show on Friday nights and they would play Lie.  Also, when I went to undergrad at Penn State, the local rock station there played quite a bit of DT.  They played Lie and Caught in a Web quite a bit.  Then when FII came out they played Burning My Soul, You Not Me, and Hollow Years quite a bit.
"Are you listening to the words I say.  In the meadows my thoughts dance and play.  I know now I'm the only one.  Who can convince the rising sun"

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2012, 12:02:20 AM »
Never once heard DT on the radio.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2012, 01:07:16 AM »
Oh, I forgot Lie! You should listen Klaus Flaming's radio programs (at least wednesday evenings) and you can suggest music to be played on the show. And thanks for that link, I had forgotten that site! But that is wrong info. The right site is here: https://soitto.info/kanava.php?kanava=radiorock&eid=8891&kid=49846

Top 10 Radio Rock's DT plays:
558   Constant Motion
536   The Mirror
354   Lie
84   The Shattered Fortress [that is interesting!!]
74   A Rite Of Passage
11   Build Me Up, Break Me Down
10   A Rite Of Passage (album version)
10   Pull Me Under
9   I Walk Beside You
4   Stargazer
Ok, thanks for correcting! :tup The amount of plays for TSF surprised me too! :lol Maybe I should give Klaus' program a listen sometime...

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2012, 01:47:25 AM »

Same here and I never will since the New Orleans area hasn't had a station that plays any non-Metallica metal since 1995 and, barring a radically unforeseen change in the status quo, I really don't see that changing.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2012, 06:27:19 AM »
Back in 1992/93, PMU, TTT, UAGM, and AD were all played with some frequency on our local rock station.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2012, 07:30:12 AM »
Back in 1992/93, PMU, TTT, UAGM, and AD were all played with some frequency on our local rock station.

Yup, but as the songs got longer, they got less airplay.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2012, 10:41:06 AM »

The songs didn't really get longer on Awake.  As grunge and hip-hop/R&B got more airplay, DT got less.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2012, 05:22:39 PM »
I just heard Pull Me Under on XM this morning. I've heard it at least twice before.

Offline deslock

« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2012, 05:17:28 AM »
I heard Pull Me Under on FM back in 1992 while traveling across country (with my wife, before we were married).  I vividly remember saying "woah" and turning the volume up as the song kicked in... it sounded like a cross between Queensryche, Rush, and Iron Maiden. 

After he sang "Watch the sparrow falling gives new meaning to...", I pulled the car over to the road's shoulder, set the parking brake, cranked it up, and closed my eyes so I could listen closely. 

When the song ended, the DJ announced the name of the band, which I'd never heard of.  At the next town, I found the nearest record store and bought the album.

The only other time I heard DT on FM was in the mid-late 1990s: I was also in my car when a college radio station played Metropolis Part 1.

Other than those two instances and a few times on Pandora, I've never heard DT on the radio (though I don't listen to FM anymore, and I've only listened to satellite radio a couple times).

Offline vulcandj

• There's too many notes.
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2012, 05:51:35 PM »
I live in a small town in Southern Oregon where they have 2 radio stations. One promotes itself as classic rock, and every now and then they play Another Day. While that is very cool, I can honestly say that one time I heard it followed up with Janis Joplins Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz. And  I think another time it came after Carly Simons Your so Vain. But still, they play DT, and for that, I am grateful.
So I say to the horse, "why the long face?"....

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2012, 10:13:34 PM »
That is very cool.  Since I wouldn't consider Another Day to actually be classic rock, and wouldn't imagine it finding its way onto some programmer's playlist, the only thing I can think of is that someone at that station either really likes that song, or likes Dream Theater and figures this is a "safe" song by them to play.  Or maybe both.

Kosmo

« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2012, 02:11:56 AM »
I've heard quite a few DT tunes on the radio, even some of the longer songs.

Offline Optimus

• Mr. Bateman
  • I like to dissect girls.
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2012, 03:35:18 AM »
On norwegian radio I've heard Hollow Years and You Not Me ;)
That's a very fine chardonnay you're drinking. I want you to clean your vagina

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2012, 07:13:50 PM »
I only ever heard Pull Me Under on my satellite radio... once.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline champbassist

« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2012, 10:59:06 PM »
I don't like Dream Theater much, but I had Pull Me Under and a radio station, so what the fuck?

I see what you did thar! ;D

Also, from the same video, "is that Dream Theater?" cracks me up every time I watch it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2012, 07:39:45 AM »
Yeah that, and the way JP glances at the camera and says "Yes, yes it is."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2012, 07:42:46 AM »

I don't recall hearing DT on the radio. King, did AAF play them?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mind Trail

« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2012, 08:49:48 AM »
On norwegian radio I've heard Hollow Years and You Not Me ;)

Do you remember which channel? Just curious :)
"For thirty years where have I been..."

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2012, 10:14:44 AM »
I never listened to a lot of raido, but I remember catching PMU in the 90's when I did.  At first I thought it was a Maiden song.

If a radio station did a prog segment in their programming, I'd make a point to tune in.  I guess if it was an hour long, they might be able to play 3-5 songs with dialog and commercials.   :corn
Signature