Author Topic: Pull Me Under still The Greatest Hit.....apparently.  (Read 10957 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Pull Me Under still The Greatest Hit.....apparently.
« on: March 26, 2012, 03:04:23 PM »
Waking up this morning, I heard PMU on the radio.  I don't listen to the radio otherwise, so I don't know how much of the new material is getting played.  It was edited but only about a minute or so (part of the instrumental before the solo and of course the ending faded out).

Anyway, afterward the DJ goes, "That was Dream Theater.  I'm not a huge Dream Theater fan but that song's pretty cool."  :lolpalm:

Had to share...
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
Re: Pull Me Under still The Greatest Hit.....apparently.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 03:13:28 PM »
Unfortunately, I heard PMU once on the radio and this song was the first reason made me huge Dream Theater fan years ago. Pretty bad that I never heard it again on the radio, considering I usually listen to the radio.

As for the new materials, DT has never been radio-friendly group so there aren't many songs can be played. Though I heard many times, Wither, Build Me Up Break Me Down, Through Her Eyes. Funny thing, unlike many I never heard "I Walk Beside You" on the radio.  :lol
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 03:17:47 PM »
I actually heard PMU on the radio just a couple weeks ago.  First and only time I've ever heard any DT on the radio. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 03:18:18 PM »
Never heard any DT on the radio, ever.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 03:24:43 PM »
I don't like Dream Theater much, but I had Pull Me Under and a radio station, so what the fuck?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 03:29:33 PM »
I have heard PMU and LNF on the radio...though, it was satellite radio (Sirius XM) so I suppose you can't really classify that as true "radio"
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 03:31:39 PM »

I heard A Nightmare to Remember in my car around the time BCSL was being released, back in 09. Couldn't believe my ears, that's for sure! I have never caught any DT on the radio since then...
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 03:34:17 PM »
I've heard a lot of songs in the past few years getting their first play on my local stations in probably 10-15 years. And it's because of Rock Band/Guitar Hero. Although PMU stopped getting any real play not too long after it was released, I wouldn't be shocked if it's one of the songs that's getting dusted off on occasion because of those games.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 03:50:39 PM »
Back in 92' when I did listen to the radio, they played mostly PMU and TTT along with a rare occasion of Another Day.

I don't like Dream Theater much, but I had Pull Me Under and a radio station, so what the fuck?

:lol  Yeah, I thought it was odd that the DJ would comment on the air about not being a huge DT fan.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 03:51:25 PM »
I once heard "Through Her Eyes" on the radio way back when, but didn't know who it was and I don't remember hearing it more than that one time.  When I heard SFAM in 2006, I recognized the melody again. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 03:52:20 PM »
One time I heard Another Day on the radio.

It was magical, and it was the only time I ever heard them on the radio  :'(
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 05:13:21 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »
my brother called me one day to tell me a radio station in the bay area had just played PMU. i was all 'wat'?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline DigitalScreams

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 04:06:20 PM »
I heard Voices on SiriusXM's Boneyard the other day. 1st and only time I've heard it on the radio. They also occasionally play PMU and Breaking All Illusions. Otherwise I heard Spirit Carries On many times around Sept. 2001.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 04:09:08 PM »
I was driving home from work one day and was scanning the radio. Well, I scanned full circle about 3 times and was about to turn it off and came back to the station that was playing a Brittany Spears song that was just ended and suddenly, to my surprise, they played DTs a Change of Seasons in its entirety. I couldn't believe my ears! I went to go turn the volume up but accidentally hit the scan button and it jumped to another popular station and on that station was playing The Dance of Eternity! Ok, at this point I was completely freaking out but you guys wont believe what happened next. I pull up to a redlight and next to me is a convertible full of beautiful young girls and they were blasting In the Presence of Enemies! I proceeded to then shit my pants.

Then I woke up.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 04:13:59 PM »
Has anybody heard OTBOA on the radio yet?  You would think since it got nominated for a Grammy and is only slightly longer than PMU, it would get edited for radio play.

Offline voncorn

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 04:16:17 PM »
-
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 04:34:45 PM by voncorn »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 04:29:27 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 04:35:11 PM »
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 04:52:47 PM »
Shortly after 6DOIT was released, my g/f & I heard Solitary Shell on WDHA.  :coolio
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 05:49:32 PM »

Offline ThatcrazyKISSfan

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 07:01:15 PM »
I've heard Pull Me Under a couple times.......Surprised nobody's heard As I Am.........oh well I guess that's why it was called Greatest Hit......

Offline lumpy33

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2012, 07:10:30 PM »
i heard pull me under a few times on the radio when the video was in heavy rotation on headbanger's ball.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2012, 08:22:13 PM »
I've heard Pull me Under and Home, both played full. I was thinking about one day requesting On The Backs of Angels.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 08:48:55 PM »
I remember hearing PMU quite abit back in '92 on the local rock station and Burning My Soul when it first came out.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 09:02:15 PM »
Only time I heard them on the radio was the night before they were going to open for Queensryche in Seattle, they were asking for requests for QR songs to commemorate the gig, and someone called in and asked for a DT song instead.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 11:32:37 PM »
We had/have a metal radio show here on for a few hours every week late at night that played a lot of the metal stuff, and they used to play quite a few DT songs. I've heard TGP, As I Am, UAGM, TROAE, and even a couple of songs from Elements of Persuasion.

Aside from that, you'd never in a million years hear their stuff on the radio here.  :-\
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 11:59:36 PM »
People still have radio?

Offline The Fatal Tragedy

• I'm that "Awesome" guy.
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2012, 12:54:54 AM »
Wow, this topic FINALLY reminds me to say that the broadcasting of one of the Packers vs. Bears games this last season had "The Dance of Eternity" playing in the background between one of the plays. Fittingly enough, the part at 1:45 could be heard faintly during the same time that the referees had to stop the game due to spotting some sort of metal spike sticking out from out of the field. I'm not kidding you, they played the section at the 1:45 mark in the song! I'm trying to find a clip of it on Youtube, but all I'm getting is stupid results of completely unrelated videos.
Embrace the days; don't turn away. Life's true intent needs patience.

Karma starts the signal...

Offline phantom

• Turn the key, walk through the gate...
  • Another Bootlegs Maniac
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2012, 01:10:35 AM »
It's a shame that real artists that work hard to put out fine records don't get attention.
Well, here I never had a chance to listen to anything, not even PMU.
I wonder why Another Day isn't played, it is a "friendly" song and relatively short.
Anyways, last september there were a few DT specials before ADTOE's release.
But, on a regular day there's no DT at all.  :(

The Dreams & The Bricks

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2012, 01:23:31 AM »
Has anybody heard OTBOA on the radio yet?  You would think since it got nominated for a Grammy and is only slightly longer than PMU, it would get edited for radio play.
Yea, on XM radio I heard it once or twice.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2012, 04:09:36 AM »
Haha, I have heard these songs on Finnish radio:
The Glass Prison
Pull Me Under
Constant Motion
A Rite Of Passage
I Walk Beside You
Lifting Shadows Off A Dream
The Mirror
Space Dye Vest
Lines In The Sand
Build me Up, Break Me Down

at least..  ;)

It is always as cool as at the first time, always like "HEY, I know that song!!" feeling  :)
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Ruba

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2012, 06:20:56 AM »
Haha, I have heard these songs on Finnish radio:
The Glass Prison
Pull Me Under
Constant Motion
A Rite Of Passage
I Walk Beside You
Lifting Shadows Off A Dream
The Mirror
Space Dye Vest
Lines In The Sand
Build me Up, Break Me Down

at least..  ;)

It is always as cool as at the first time, always like "HEY, I know that song!!" feeling  :)

I am jealous.

I have heard only Pull Me Under from the radio. Though I don't listen to it much, usually the radio channel that has only Finnish music.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2012, 07:25:58 AM »
I've heard Pull Me Under a couple times.......Surprised nobody's heard As I Am.........oh well I guess that's why it was called Greatest Hit......

Right after Train of Thought came out, I remember hearing As I Am on the radio, once.  It was some kind of thing they did at 10:00 every night where they play a song from a new album, just to give it some air, so to speak.  Cool that they still do things like that, but I don't think it ever made regular rotation.

Basically, everything you hear on the radio nowadays is decided ahead of time by some guy in a suit in an office in New York.  DJs are hired for their voices and personalities, but don't have free reign to just play what they want as in the old days.  For DT to get played on the air for anything other than a one-off or specifically during a time when requests are allowed, someone with real programming power has to decide that they're cool enough to be played on their stations.  Bands used to send their new singles directly to DJs to try to get them play them; today I'm guessing that Roadrunner would have to schmooze execs from the big corporations, which seems like it would be much harder to do.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2012, 07:53:47 AM »
KSHE-95 here in St. Louis played the crap out of Pull Me Under when it was first out, and has never really stopped playing it, although it is usually one of those songs that might get played once or twice a week.  But still.  They also played Take the Time and Another Day to death when they were first out, but I think the shelf life of both of those were pretty short.  I also remember them playing the edit of Home like mad for several months when Scenes was first out.