Author Topic: How to upgrade Android OS on a smart phone  (Read 510 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
How to upgrade Android OS on a smart phone
« on: March 26, 2012, 09:46:39 AM »
I have an almost-2-year-old Samsung smart phone with Android OS.  I recently downloaded a couple of new apps, and one pointed out that I am running an older OS and should contact my service carrier to upgrade my OS to the most current version.  Rather that spend hours dealing with customer service, I am assuming there is a relatively easy way to do this.  Can anyone help?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: How to upgrade Android OS on a smart phone
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 09:51:57 AM »
If there was an update for your phone, it would have more than likely asked you if would like to install it but you can check for a new version like this:

Settings > About Phone > System Updates

Might automatically check or you might have to manually check in there.

Depending on your phone, you might be able to load a custom ROM onto it with a later version of Android.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 09:57:04 AM »
It does periodically ask for some updates, but never has regarding the OS as far as I can recall.

I tried following the steps you outlined, but there is no "System Updates" option under "About Phone."  Rather than go into "About Phone," there is a "Software Update" option, but nothing happens when I try to open it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 11:10:34 AM »
I guess there isn't any updates available then.

Not sure what else to say other than see if you can load a custom ROM on of a later version of Android. Can cause problems if you don't know what you're doing though.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 11:36:35 AM »
What Samsung do you have?

Most Samsung updates get pushed through the Samsung Kies software.

If you don't have it, download it (it's free) it'll ask you to connect your phone and it'll tell you if there is an available update.

However don't get too excited for any big updates, Samsung is TERRIBLE at putting out updates. I have a vibrant (Galaxy S) phone and the 2.3 android update was never released. You can only get the 2.3 update if you have 4g Galaxy S, their lack of updates is what makes me so hesitant about buying a Galaxy II

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 11:46:28 AM »
What Samsung do you have?

Most Samsung updates get pushed through the Samsung Kies software.

If you don't have it, download it (it's free) it'll ask you to connect your phone and it'll tell you if there is an available update.

However don't get too excited for any big updates, Samsung is TERRIBLE at putting out updates. I have a vibrant (Galaxy S) phone and the 2.3 android update was never released. You can only get the 2.3 update if you have 4g Galaxy S, their lack of updates is what makes me so hesitant about buying a Galaxy II

I also have a Vibrant.  I am currently running 2.1, and the app. says I need 2.2.  So how do I get the update to 2.2?  That's what I couldn't figure out.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni