Author Topic: Do miracles obey the laws of physics ?  (Read 6013 times)

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
Re: Do miracles obey the laws of physics ?
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2012, 10:37:16 PM »

Offline slycordinator

Re: Do miracles obey they Lawson physics ?
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2012, 11:18:13 PM »
Rathma, an explanation doesn't need an explanation to be a good explanation.
Not only that, but there isn't a need for every explanation itself to have an explanation.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2012, 12:38:25 AM »
snip

sup William Lane Craig
:lol Yeah, Omega, that was pretty much verbatim from a youtube video of WLC. Not that it matters, because it's the information that's presented that's important, not who is presenting it.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
Re: Do miracles obey they Lawson physics ?
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2012, 08:46:06 AM »
Rathma, an explanation doesn't need an explanation to be a good explanation. There no good explanation of gravity  that I know of, but gravity itself is a good explanation for why objects behave the way they do.

Then I'd propose that it's really arbitrary exactly at which point we decide something is a good explanation. In every era people think they have good explanations. It's probably only in recent years that people have started to think of some things as actually lacking good explanations.

Offline Omega

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2012, 09:36:48 AM »
snip

sup William Lane Craig
:lol Yeah, Omega, that was pretty much verbatim from a youtube video of WLC. Not that it matters, because it's the information that's presented that's important, not who is presenting it.

Yea, our Philosophy professor seared those words into our minds. Not coincidentally, he too is an admirer of WLC and while WLC states the limitations of science quite elegantly, this is something you typically learn in a beginning level philosophy class.
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2012, 09:55:16 AM »
snip

sup William Lane Craig

Yea, our Philosophy professor seared those words into our minds. Not coincidentally, he too is an admirer of WLC and while WLC states the limitations of science quite elegantly, this is something you typically learn in a beginning level philosophy class.

Skepticism is also taught pretty heavily in philosophy.

Offline Omega

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2012, 10:10:58 AM »
Absolutely
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2012, 10:22:32 AM »
Absolutely

No, because skepticism precludes the acceptance of absolutes.

This is fun. ;D

Also:

The external wold is real
What is reality?
This is not reality...

Is this just fantasy?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2012, 10:59:41 AM »

Is this just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality......

:P

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2012, 11:01:32 AM »
From DT to Queen. Okay.

Offline Omega

« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2012, 11:09:46 AM »
From DT to Queen. Okay.

Open your eyes

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2012, 11:14:32 AM »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2012, 11:28:54 AM »
Tune in, tune out, and drop out.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2012, 12:10:27 PM »
OP:  watch Inherit the Wind.  Not only do they discuss this very problem, but it's a great movie with a great cast.  Gene Kelly as the fake H.L. Mencken was one of my all-time favorite movie characters.

One of the arguments made was something about Joshua stopping the sun (presumably to give him more daylight for slaughtering naughty people).  You get a neat trickle-down effect there, where even if it were possible to stop the Earth's rotation, the result would be cataclysmic due to all of the other laws of nature.   
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Omega

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2012, 12:13:38 PM »
In response to the original post, I'd say that if you believe in an omnipotent God who created the universe and its very laws, there should be no reason why he couldn't bend or ignore the laws He created in the first place.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2012, 01:48:20 PM »
I think, therefore I am wrong (according to my wife).
I just shouldn't think.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2012, 01:59:58 PM »
You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to be the one telling your wife that. Silly.

Offline Omega

« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2012, 02:04:02 PM »
And here I thought it involved saying something about a kitchen...

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2012, 02:05:01 PM »
Absolutely

Well, you don't seem to have taken the lessons about skepticism nearly as seriously as you did lessons about absolutes and Truths.

Offline Omega

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2012, 02:15:52 PM »
Absolutely

Well, you don't seem to have taken the lessons about skepticism nearly as seriously as you did lessons about absolutes and Truths.

Absolutely

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2012, 02:32:31 PM »
You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to be the one telling your wife that. Silly.

YOU haven't met my wife.   :( 

I joke.  She's not like that at all. 
I hope she doesn't see this.
PLEASE, for God's sakes, DON'T tell her what I said!!!

You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2012, 02:43:42 PM »
Absolutely

Absolutely

So how do you logically justify ignoring half of the philosophical tradition, including the accredited Western founder, Socrates?

Offline Omega

« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2012, 02:47:07 PM »
Who ever said I ignore any philosophical tradition?

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2012, 03:02:58 PM »
Not learning from an opposing philosophical traditions viewpoint is tantamount to ignoring that tradition, if you ask me. It ignores one the most basic principles of critical thinking, which is giving the other person the benefit of the doubt.

There's also the lessons to be learned from science, and the scientific method. Science, and the scientific tradition, are inherently skeptical (even if not every scientist is). I'd say you'd have to be ignoring this philosophical tradition (the scientific method) in order to claim absolutes.

Offline Omega

« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2012, 03:06:45 PM »
Not learning from an opposing philosophical traditions viewpoint is tantamount to ignoring that tradition, if you ask me. It ignores one the most basic principles of critical thinking, which is giving the other person the benefit of the doubt.

There's also the lessons to be learned from science, and the scientific method. Science, and the scientific tradition, are inherently skeptical (even if not every scientist is). I'd say you'd have to be ignoring this philosophical tradition (the scientific method) in order to claim absolutes.

And who ever said I'm not learning from opposing philosophical traditions?

I think you're taking what I originally posted too far. I pointed out the limitations of science and the folly of believing it to be the only rational method of acquiring knowledge. No need no stake me on a pitchfork for it. And, if it wasn't obvious enough, when I responded "Absolutely" to your question, I wasn't being entirely serious.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2012, 03:14:33 PM »
Not to butt in or anything, but is not one of science's strong points the fact that, if it does explain a phenomenon correctly, it will allow the practitioner to reproduce those results independently? I mean, how can one cause a phenomenon to occur by one's own devices but with a valid understanding of how said phenomenon works?

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2012, 07:25:20 PM »

And who ever said I'm not learning from opposing philosophical traditions?

Because you keep claiming absolutes, and arguing for a specific Truth. I feel I should put it better, becuase I'm sure you're learning from opposing philosophical traditions, but you aren't searching for how they are True, but responding to them from your own position . Objections are often "non-serious," meaning you're not delving into the logic nor reasons behind the objections.

Offline Omega

« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2012, 07:52:12 PM »
I'm not sure how this conversation started and am not sure where it is going.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2012, 09:23:45 PM »
They obey the laws of physics.  No unexplained events happened on Feb. 22, 1980, the only miracle recorded on video.

Of course I really subscribe to the idea that miracles aren't real, they are either something that we don't have the scientific knowledge to explain, or they are a gross misrepresentation of the facts, with the latter scenario being more common as our knowledge base expands and people willing to go to greater lengths for their 15 minutes of fame.