Author Topic: Do miracles obey the laws of physics ?  (Read 6014 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Do miracles obey the laws of physics ?
« on: March 25, 2012, 05:22:29 AM »
I had a random thought whilst on the toilet this morning. Do miracles need to follow the laws of physics? For example, the fish and bread being turned into many. Did the matter that was needed to create the extra food just appear, or did atoms vanish from other substances in order for them to be created?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 03:19:29 PM by Chino »

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
Re: Do miracles obey they Lawson physics ?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 05:27:55 AM »
better obey Lawson

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 05:39:50 AM »
Lawson physics are the worst of all physics.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 05:53:40 AM »
Miracles don't happen.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 06:07:45 AM »
Miracles don't happen.

How do you explain magnets then?

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 09:45:54 AM »
that is a good question, chino.

you have blown my mind  :hefdaddy

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 11:52:38 AM »
Before answering this question, we must give an answer about existence of miracles. To me, they don't happen. I can't accept anything that can't be explained by science. I know it's personal belief so people believe whatever they want.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 12:08:11 PM »
I can't accept anything that can't be explained by science.

Science doesn't "explain" anything. It only provides useful concepts and whatnot to better predict and manipulate our environment.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 12:18:30 PM »
Maybe, maybe not. For example, evolution playing out the way it did in the lifespan of the universe is astronomically improbable, but still possible under nature's laws. But the splitting of the sea, though, doesn't work through nature's laws alone. So it depends.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 12:26:39 PM by Ħ »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 12:23:33 PM »

Science doesn't "explain" anything. It only provides useful concepts and whatnot to better predict and manipulate our environment.

I think I get what your point is, and on some level I agree with it, but this is just wrong as well. Science is extremely helpful in explaining things. Comets and asteroids used to be given supernatural origins. Science and astronomy explained where they come from, and did away with the mystery.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 12:25:27 PM »

Science doesn't "explain" anything.

:facepalm:
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 12:38:50 PM »

I think I get what your point is, and on some level I agree with it, but this is just wrong as well. Science is extremely helpful in explaining things. Comets and asteroids used to be given supernatural origins. Science and astronomy explained where they come from, and did away with the mystery.

My point is that when something is "explained", all that is going on is that a subject believes that it has mentally conquered a mystery. An explanation always demands further explanation, and the point that we decide that we have enough explanations to claim victory seems pretty arbitrary to me. It's not that science is helpful in explaining, it's that its explanations are helpful.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 12:42:14 PM »
Rathma, an explanation doesn't need an explanation to be a good explanation. There no good explanation of gravity  that I know of, but gravity itself is a good explanation for why objects behave the way they do.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 12:44:07 PM »

My point is that when something is "explained", all that is going on is that a subject believes that it has mentally conquered a mystery. An explanation always demands further explanation, and the point that we decide that we have enough explanations to claim victory seems pretty arbitrary to me. It's not that science is helpful in explaining, it's that its explanations are helpful.

Then explain to me why I'm typing this on a computer screen, over the internet, and talking to someone who, I can only imagine, is some sort of monkey/primate. Science may not given final answers, but it does giving worldly power to manipulate, and do things not otherwise possible.

And I still agree with your overall point. Science is one way we have conquered and controlled part of the world. It is not an explanation that fully satisfies our human desire for an explanation, as it simply passes the ball along.

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 01:06:51 PM »
Science may not given final answers

That is all I am saying bro. Anyways, the reason I pointed it out was because SeRoX said he won't accept anything that can't be explained by science, which is silly. We don't know the mechanism of gravity but we still accept it. Perhaps he meant to say he only tolerates explanations provided in scientific lingo, which is fine by me.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 01:14:17 PM »
Perhaps he meant to say he only tolerates explanations provided in scientific lingo, which is fine by me.

Yes. Science may not give you a exact explanation or result but may give you and reasonable and acceptable ways to describe about what they are. So I call "this" as a scientific explanation.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 01:35:32 PM »
Perhaps he meant to say he only tolerates explanations provided in scientific lingo, which is fine by me.

Yes. Science may not give you a exact explanation or result but may give you and reasonable and acceptable ways to describe about what they are. So I call "this" as a scientific explanation.
So what you meant is "I can't accept anything that hasn't been explained by reason."

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 01:40:01 PM »

So what you meant is "I can't accept anything that hasn't been explained by reason."

Yeah, you can tell that. Scientific reasons, of course.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 01:58:39 PM »
My experience so far has been that the "miraculousness" of the event is more a function of the observer.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Omega

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 02:58:57 PM »

Are you kidding? There's a good number of things that cannot be scientifically proven or explained:

1.) Logical and Mathematical truths. Science pre-supposes logic and math. To try to prove them by science would be arguing in a circle.

2.) Metaphysical, Ontological and Epistemological truths (eg The external wold is real, the external world is intelligible, there exist minds other than my own, the past was not created 5 minutes ago with an illusion of age, we can trust our own senses to provide accurate information of the external world, I am not a brain in a vat being shocked with electrodes to induce this reality, etc)

3.) Ethical beliefs and statements of value; Science cannot tell you whether genocide is evil and charity good or that one is morally superior to the other.

4.) Aesthetic judgments. The beautiful, like the good or evil, cannot be scientifically proven.

and

5.) Science itself; science cannot be justified by the scientific method. To do so would be arguing in a circle. Science is also permeated with countless unprovable assumptions (gravity, special relativity, constants, etc).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 03:14:16 PM by Omega »
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 03:07:58 PM »

Are you kidding? There's a good number of things that cannot be scientifically proven or explained:

1.) Logical and Mathematical truths. Science pre-supposes logical and math. To try to prove them by science would be arguing in a circle.

2.) Metaphysical, Ontological and Epistemological truths (eg The external wold is real, the external world is intelligible, there exist minds other than my own, the past was not created 5 minutes ago with an illusion of age, we can trust our own senses to provide accurate information of the external world, I am not a brain in a vat being shocked with electrodes to induce this reality, etc)

3.) Ethical beliefs and statements of value; Science cannot tell you whether genocide is evil and charity good or that one is morally superior to the other.

4.) Aesthetic judgments. The beautiful, like the good or evil, cannot be scientifically proven.

and

5.) Science itself; science cannot be justified by the scientific method. To do so would be arguing in a circle. Science is also permeated with countless unprovable assumptions (gravity, special relativity, constants, etc).

1- I also explained what I mean. Science may not give you the result but reasonable explanations.

2,3,4,: Like I stated: Personal beliefs and metaphysical things. I also have them on my own and they don't need to be proven by science.

5: The way you say is science itself, can't related it with my thought.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline Omega

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 03:16:02 PM »
1- I also explained what I mean. Science may not give you the result but reasonable explanations.

2,3,4,: Like I stated: Personal beliefs and metaphysical things. I also have them on my own and they don't need to be proven by science.

5: The way you say is science itself, can't related it with my thought.

Sorry, but what?
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 03:16:16 PM »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 03:17:03 PM »
Well it was fun while it lasted.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Scheavo

Re: Do miracles obey the laws of physics ?
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2012, 03:21:39 PM »
Omega, notice how your 2-4 have a variety of answers, and depends upon the person you're asking? I'd also point out that many of the "truths" you bring up in number 2 are assumptions as well, and not proven, or provable.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2012, 03:26:18 PM »
^That, obliviously.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline Omega

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2012, 04:03:02 PM »
Omega, notice how your 2-4 have a variety of answers, and depends upon the person you're asking? I'd also point out that many of the "truths" you bring up in number 2 are assumptions as well, and not proven, or provable.

Scheavo, you'd have to either have an incredible poker face or be willing to condemn your entire worldview if you are about to posit that you believe that the world is unintelligible, or that you are a brain in a vat being stimulated by electrodes to have some sort of reality induced upon you, etc.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 04:11:58 PM »

Scheavo, you'd have to either have an incredible poker face or be willing to condemn your entire worldview if you are about to posit that you believe that the world is unintelligible, or that you are a brain in a vat being stimulated by electrodes to have some sort of reality induced upon you, etc.

Not saying that it is is the case, just that we can't know it's not.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jsem

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2012, 05:14:55 PM »
The external wold is real
What is reality?

Offline Omega

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2012, 05:22:26 PM »

Of course. These are properly basic beliefs.

Offline Omega

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2012, 05:22:47 PM »
The external wold is real
What is reality?

I think that's something you should answer for yourself.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2012, 05:33:13 PM »

Fucking Descartes.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2012, 06:39:42 PM »

The world, as a whole, is unintelligible. Only parts of it are intelligible, and when you dig deeper, many of those collapse into intelligibility. Do I take assumptions and prejudices about the world around me? Never denied that, and I never denied that I disagree with all your basic assumptions. However, whereas you call them Truths, and thinks which can be known, I call them beliefs, assumptions, prejudices, and other things which are not the Truth, or known.

Offline Omega

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2012, 06:49:44 PM »
Ok...  :chill

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2012, 07:00:26 PM »
On the OP:

Personally, I've always held the belief that any supernatural activity follows some sort of science, but it is a science either a) we do not yet have the ability to perceive and  understand, or, perhaps, b)it is a science that is simply beyond our ability, as mere mortals, to ever perceive and understand.  So if there are gods, angels, demons, fey, ghosts, spirits, magic and other things out there that defy physics as we currently understand them, it is not because they are beyond science per se, rather, it is simply because they are beyond our current limited understanding of science itself.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 12:32:43 PM by The Dark Master »