Author Topic: UK plans massive internal expansion  (Read 1782 times)

Offline AndyDT

UK plans massive internal expansion
« on: March 24, 2012, 03:42:19 PM »
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/hands-off-our-land/9165205/Countryside-planning-revolution-new-city-proposed-for-Midlands.html

New cities, high-speed rail, new privatised road network and airports. I can see the purpose but find myself being drawn towards eco-arguments as time goes on: if we're going to expand to keep up with other countries then we should at least do it in harmony with nature (regardless of whether they do, we should lead).

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
Re: UK plans massive internal expansion
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 04:05:43 PM »
Lol new city. Regulate the old City first, pls.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 04:19:52 PM »
Why is the UK population expected to rise that much? Immigration?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 06:12:39 AM »
Mainly birth rates from new immigrants as I understand it but non-immigrant birth rates have risen in the past 2-3 years as well.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 08:23:41 AM »
They haven't run out of room yet?

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 11:16:48 PM »
Birth rates have been rising everywhere in the developed world recently.

Deep recessions = baby booms. Happened in the 30s, 50s and 80s - while in the 20s, 60s, 90s and 00s birth rates fell (going by memory here). Looks like the pattern continues...

Re the policy: should have been the policy response from the UK Government from the get go (I'm talking financial crisis response), rather than this austerity bullshit which is so obviously self-perpetuating and self-defeating that its made things worse. However I note its all well and good to build a city from the ground up, but what are you going to do about jobs, infrastructure and the like around it?
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 12:41:53 AM »
Deep recessions = baby booms. Happened in the 30s, 50s and 80s - while in the 20s, 60s, 90s and 00s birth rates fell (going by memory here). Looks like the pattern continues...

I can only imagine this is due to evolution, becuase this is just irrational in today's world.

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 06:47:05 AM »
I'd say so. I mean, when I'm considering whether to have some little Riceballs I'm not thinking of the environment...I'd say most are the same.
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 01:35:02 PM »
I'd say so. I mean, when I'm considering whether to have some little Riceballs I'm not thinking of the environment...I'd say most are the same.

Something about that phrase... :lol

Relevant contribution: I never noticed that trend before, Riceball. That means bad news bears for the 2020s and 30s, imo. And I'm not just talking environment.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 02:06:24 PM »

Well, if you were, you wouldn't be adding more kids at a time when you can barely make do. It makes sense if you can make your 5 year old go farm and do some work, but when it's just another mouth to feed on an insufficient salary, it just doesn't work.

Offline jsem

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 02:29:29 PM »
Birth rates have been rising everywhere in the developed world recently.

Actually, what you see during booms are higher birth rates. And the opposite during recessions - decreasing birth rates. At least in the US this has been the case always.

For instance, the baby-boomers were born when the Depression had finally ended, and the stock market recovered in the late 40s. They weren't born DURING an economic downturn.

https://www.livescience.com/16513-birthrates-decline-poor-economy.html
https://pewsocialtrends.org/files/2010/10/753-birth-rates-recession.pdf

But whatever, this is just one factor among many. There's also a paradox in this, because the more developed countries generally have lower birth rates than less developed countries.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
And that makes more sense to me.

Also, as for the baby-boomers, that wasn't just the end of a depression, but the coming-home of hundreds of thousands of married men.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 09:15:42 PM »
They need to get ED-209's in there to clean out the crime before they start building Delta City.