Author Topic: ESPN Sucks  (Read 15098 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: ESPN Sucks
« Reply #105 on: September 14, 2017, 09:45:56 AM »
I have been trying to get out of going to ESPN.com every time I want an update on the sports world. It is always a headline or two, then clips of what Stephen A. thinks about something, then some article about racial issues. It does have some great reporting, it can just be buried in the muck. And I can't find a good alternative resource for sports news. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2017, 09:50:37 AM »
I have been trying to get out of going to ESPN.com every time I want an update on the sports world. It is always a headline or two, then clips of what Stephen A. thinks about something, then some article about racial issues. It does have some great reporting, it can just be buried in the muck. And I can't find a good alternative resource for sports news.

And they laid off some of the good writers.  I only use the website to check live scores, just like I only use the tv channel to watch live sports.  It's not necessarily about political leanings for me, it's more about:

ESPN hasn't been about "sticking to sports" for a while. Turn on ESPN for an hour, and you'll see a few minutes of sports clips spliced in between talking heads spewing hot takes. Repeat every hour.

And those talking heads are just annoying too, I really don't like most ESPN personalities anymore.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2017, 09:52:47 AM »

And they laid off some of the good writers.  I only use the website to check live scores, just like I only use the tv channel to watch live sports.  It's not necessarily about political leanings for me, it's more about:

ESPN hasn't been about "sticking to sports" for a while. Turn on ESPN for an hour, and you'll see a few minutes of sports clips spliced in between talking heads spewing hot takes. Repeat every hour.

And those talking heads are just annoying too, I really don't like most ESPN personalities anymore.

Yup, I pretty much never watch the actual flagship channel on TV anymore, they lost what I considered to be a lot of their best personalities. I basically just use the ESPN app to check scores and that's about it at this point.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2017, 11:25:51 AM »
She called a white supremacist a white supremacist. Anyone bothered by that is probably harboring some questionable beliefs.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2017, 11:29:54 AM »
She called a white supremacist a white supremacist. Anyone bothered by that is probably harboring some questionable beliefs.

I disagree. I'm not going to stand up for him as a decent human, but I don't believe he is a white supremacist.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2017, 11:59:40 AM »
Everyone's entitled to their opinion but imo he took any tiny shred of eligibility he had to not be considered one and doused it in kerosene and set it on fire the way he "handled" Charlottesville.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: September 14, 2017, 01:56:30 PM »

:rollin :rollin :rollin

:|

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #112 on: September 14, 2017, 06:53:10 PM »

It's sports talk, not news, but I like Cowherd's show on FS1.  He always talk sports, sports and more sports, without all of the other crap 99% of the time.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #113 on: September 14, 2017, 07:47:06 PM »
ESPN hasn't been about "sticking to sports" for a while. Turn on ESPN for an hour, and you'll see a few minutes of sports clips spliced in between talking heads spewing hot takes. Repeat every hour. Jemele Hill made those comments on her personal twitter account, not on espn. She met with executives, and they came to a consensus that she should not have done that. Which IMO is why she deserves at most a suspension.

Right. I think people are calling a double standard because Curt Schilling was fired for political tweeting. But he was clearly warned and ignored it. THAT'S why he was fired. If she received a warning for violating a company policy, fine. If she also ignores it, then if she's not fired, it becomes an issue.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #114 on: September 14, 2017, 08:00:30 PM »
It's not her first time tweeting like that. 

I'm of the mindset that these words, these tweets are not what's going to bring us together.  It separates us and in this day and age of the internet we need to stop this. We need better our communication and work things out not throw barbs at each other.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #115 on: September 14, 2017, 08:12:15 PM »
It's not her first time tweeting like that. 

I did not know that. I pay ZERO attention to ESPN.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #116 on: September 14, 2017, 08:18:53 PM »
I pay ZERO attention to ESPN.

With the exception being the opening segment of PTI, which I DVR and sometimes watch a little of still, the same applies to me.  I didn't even know about this Jemele Hill nonsense until I saw a blurb about it on FB last night. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: September 14, 2017, 08:19:06 PM »

The rock I live under is way, way bigger than yours. Before this story broke, I'd never even heard of this woman.

My last job was for a major cruise line. They told all of us, from the CEO to the lowliest serf (me): If you represent yourself on social media as employee of this company, we expect your presence on the internet to be respectful and mindful of this. You may not be speaking on behalf of the company, but you are affiliated with this company, and (they said it nicer than this) we don't want any PR nightmares because of your bullcrap.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: September 14, 2017, 08:21:46 PM »
Maybe it's because I've seen so many of her Boston is racist tweets. Maybe it's because I'm on Twitter. But I've seen too much of her dialogue say that this kind of dialogue is not healthy. I believe there is racism in America I know it. But this dialogue will not help fix that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #119 on: September 14, 2017, 08:25:06 PM »
She's awful. They used to trot her out on Sports Reporters (which was one of the few ESPN shows I still watched in recent years, before it was cancelled), and it was glaring how bad she was compared to the others on there.  Her opinions were so simple-minded and she is one of the least articulate people I have ever seen on television.  She might be a fine sportswriter (that's what I've heard), but she is a terrible TV personality (similar to Bill Simmons).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2017, 08:28:21 PM »
 I'm just tired of the Boston is racist narrative. That was the 60's narrative, not today.

Racism is everywhere. When's the last time you saw an outbreak and vandalism in Boston?   if it's hired narrative she perpetuates it. Racism is all over, it's not isolated in one area

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2017, 08:30:01 PM »
I'm just tired of the Boston is racist narrative. That was the 60's narrative, not today.

Racism is everywhere. When's the last time you saw an outbreak and vandalism in Boston?  if it's hired narrative she perpetuates it. Racism is all over, it's not isolated in one area

I've never personally seen an outbreak or vandalism in Boston...I try to stay out of racist cities.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2017, 08:35:15 PM »
 :lol

Someday we will ban each other over many beers and man hug in public.

Search your feelings. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #123 on: September 14, 2017, 08:38:16 PM »
I don't drink beer.  :hat

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #124 on: September 14, 2017, 08:38:48 PM »
When's the last time you saw an outbreak and vandalism in Boston?

According the the American history classes that I had to take when I was a kid, that's what Boston is most famous for. Granted, it was a long damn time ago, but...  :biggrin:
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: September 14, 2017, 08:40:08 PM »
I don't drink beer.  :hat

I'd backhand you but food works as well.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: September 14, 2017, 08:42:11 PM »

According the the American history classes that I had to take when I was a kid, that's what Boston is most famous for. Granted, it was a long damn time ago, but...  :biggrin:

I was a young child in the seventies where segregation was a thing of the past. We went to school together I had friends that were Hispanic Dominican and Puerto Rican. Ecuadorian I had friends from Canada I live in a tough town of Lawrence Massachusetts. They were all my friends so the history of for the seventies is a thing of the past.

Obviously there still racism in Boston in the America it is nothing like the past. I reach out to all my friends of the past no matter what their skin color is and give him a big hug. Good people are good people skin doesn't matter.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #127 on: September 14, 2017, 09:51:20 PM »

I was a young child in the seventies where segregation was a thing of the past. We went to school together I had friends that were Hispanic Dominican and Puerto Rican. Ecuadorian I had friends from Canada I live in a tough town of Lawrence Massachusetts. They were all my friends so the history of for the seventies is a thing of the past.

Obviously there still racism in Boston in the America it is nothing like the past. I reach out to all my friends of the past no matter what their skin color is and give him a big hug. Good people are good people skin doesn't matter.

I was actually making an obscure reference to the Boston Tea Party as far as an outbreak of vandalism goes, but I was being too vague. Every place in this fine country of ours, whether it be North or South, has some tale of racism tied to it if you dig deep enough. The people that are singling out Boston are doing so just to try to validate their point.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: September 15, 2017, 05:00:12 AM »
Right over my head. :lol

Offline Cable

« Reply #129 on: September 16, 2017, 10:41:39 AM »

The rock I live under is way, way bigger than yours. Before this story broke, I'd never even heard of this woman.

My last job was for a major cruise line. They told all of us, from the CEO to the lowliest serf (me): If you represent yourself on social media as employee of this company, we expect your presence on the internet to be respectful and mindful of this. You may not be speaking on behalf of the company, but you are affiliated with this company, and (they said it nicer than this) we don't want any PR nightmares because of your bullcrap.

This is a good point CoolChris. I personally don't put my employers on my Facebook, which is tied the most privately to me. One of the many reasons is just this; I don't want anything I say in my private life so to speak to be associated with my professional career. But it goes beyond that too- even the questionable personal photos people post may not reflect well.
---

Offline Cable

---

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #131 on: October 10, 2017, 07:00:17 AM »

This is a good point CoolChris. I personally don't put my employers on my Facebook, which is tied the most privately to me. One of the many reasons is just this; I don't want anything I say in my private life so to speak to be associated with my professional career. But it goes beyond that too- even the questionable personal photos people post may not reflect well.

This is why DTF IS my facebook.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #132 on: October 10, 2017, 07:39:18 AM »

Racism is everywhere. When's the last time you saw an outbreak and vandalism in Boston?   if it's hired narrative she perpetuates it. Racism is all over, it's not isolated in one area

I want to second this.   I have spent and now spend a shit ton of time in Boston, and while there are meatheads there, I can tell you from first hand experience, the "simmering" racism is at least as bad, if not worse, in other cities (including my beloved Philly), and the "scene" at places like Murphy's in Chicago (by Wrigley Field) are as bad as anything I've experienced in Boston. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #133 on: October 10, 2017, 07:44:15 AM »
It just goes to show what assholes Michael Smith and Howard Bryant are. They have no career if they don't perpetuate that belief. Even when Smith was doing a little talk radio here, I just never understood his appeal.
Chris Gaspar is far more thoughtful, and Michael Holley, who has been all over, is easily the most reasonable.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: October 10, 2017, 08:37:05 AM »
https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/10/09/jemele-hill-espn-suspension-legal-analysis

Her new tweets weren't nearly as bad as calling the President a White Supremacist.  I kind of thought these were tame, but Trump is already jumping all over this.  This whole thing feels like a reality TV show.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #135 on: October 10, 2017, 06:44:03 PM »
ESPN host calls for a boycott of NFL advertisers.

ESPN and the NFL work together.

Brilliant.  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: October 10, 2017, 07:00:16 PM »
ESPN host calls for a boycott of NFL advertisers.

ESPN and the NFL work together.

Brilliant.  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Don't forget she was warned all ready.  You and I do this at our work, we are fired.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #137 on: October 10, 2017, 07:34:12 PM »
Exactly. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: October 10, 2017, 08:56:54 PM »
The true irony would be if advertisers started abandoning ESPN due to Jemele's comments.