Author Topic: recent JP interview, says Mangini will be included in writing process for DT12  (Read 7102 times)

Offline Dream Team

My man reason for wanting MM involved from the get-go is that I don't think the majority of the rhythms on ADTOE are as interesting as MP would come up with, and that is JP's fault.

Offline iamtheeviltwin

And I don't expect him to completely shake things up, or perhaps even want that. I just mean add his own "character" to the songwriting dynamic, and be involved in writing beats/rhythms from day 1, instead of coming in after the songs were already written.
Even just that much could add a lot of inspiration to vary the songwriting a bit, using an MM beat as the basis of a section of a song. We'll see. He may not have much influence at all, or maybe we'll notice something a little different. Either way, it's something I'm excited and interested to hear.

Everyone keeps talking about what MM will add to the drums/rhythm like that is the only thing he will contribute to the song writing.  I think people forget that MM is well versed in all manners of music composition and theory and from some of the interviews he has given it is very likely that he will also be adding to the songs in ways that go far beyond the "rhythm/drums".  I don't recall him ever talking about writing lyrics, but he has talked about writing melodies, harmonies, and riffs.

This is why I am excited to hear what MM brings to the music.  Because it will add another voice to the JP/JR (sometimes JMX) team that has written all of the musical elements to their music since SDOIT.  This is something that MP usually didn't do and will be the most unique thing that adding another dedicated and knowledgeable musician to the group, as opposed to just adding (or replacing) a talented and virtuoso drummer.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
My man reason for wanting MM involved from the get-go is that I don't think the majority of the rhythms on ADTOE are as interesting as MP would come up with, and that is JP's fault.

I think Lost Not Forgotten has a lot of cool rhythms that are interesting.

Offline Cable

I am not a drummer, so my knowledge on interesting rhythms extends to what "sounds" cool and different, and odd times.

Looking at scores and listening; I thought ADTOE has a lot of odd times compared to past stuff, and especially the MP metal albums.

I was shocked seeing how OTBOA was noted for time. i took it as PMU-esque as a standard time wrong, minus the obvious post chorus and outro riff.
---