Author Topic: recent JP interview, says Mangini will be included in writing process for DT12  (Read 7100 times)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
I had to choose, I wouldn't care because I've never seen DT live before.  :loser:

Offline Syzzle

So he confirms that TGD was taken out so they could play both Outcry and BAI from the fans complaining..Cool!

That's weak.  TGD is a MUCH better song than BAI.
Agreed, TGD is around top 10 for me, while BAI isn't even top 30.

Offline Buckethead

• Poopstring
I do love the great debate but maybe I'm just old school. One of the coolest buildups in the dt catologue in that there tune.

Offline Jarlaxle

The Great Debate probably in my top 3 favorite songs, so i was quite glad that I got to see it in Vancouver. Now all I need is Hell's Kitchen.  :heart

Offline Ħ

TGD has awesome moments but it's so long that I'd rather see two or three other songs in it's place.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
If I had to choose between Lost Not Forgotten and The Great Debate, I'd choose Breaking all Illusions. ;)

Now I just need to go to my first DT concert (it's taking too long!)

Well if they actually do come back to the US (assuming you live in the US), you should see this show ASAP.

Well I live in Canada, I guess that counts as another US tour. :P It wouldn't matter which setlist, but I hope they keep The Root of All Evil/The Dark Eternal Night in the setlist. I imagine they would, since it wasn't in the previous NA setlist.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
So he confirms that TGD was taken out so they could play both Outcry and BAI from the fans complaining..Cool!

That's weak.  TGD is a MUCH better song than BAI.

............................................________
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................`:,,...........................`..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_..........._,-%.......`

:p
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline vhguitar009

As much as I'd love to see DT again this year in the states, I'm already ready for a new album

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Dude, grow an attention span.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
Lol. You're not going to get a new album for at least another year. In the meantime, enjoy the tour and the upcoming (I hope) DVD.

Offline Jarlaxle

At the earliest, I could maybe see DT going into the studio in January or February only because of how much attention is on them right now and the fact that they have reportedly been jamming and creating with Mangini. They might just want to run with the momentum they've got going.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
^ And they don't take a year to write one song like TOOL.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
At the earliest, I could maybe see DT going into the studio in January or February only because of how much attention is on them right now and the fact that they have reportedly been jamming and creating with Mangini. They might just want to run with the momentum they've got going.

They have usually released one album every two years, even in the years when they had less attention. Therefore, we can pretty much expect another record by the end of 2013. In order to achieve this, they would need to get some serious writing going by January. This wouldn't be anything extraordinary, they operated like this for the past ten years (except for Train of Thought, when they were even faster).

Assuming they want to push it because of the attention surrounding the Grammy nomination and how the fans love Mangini, they could enter the studio as early as late 2012 and have a record in stores by mid 2013. This would be faster than normal, but still within the boundaries of what they've done before.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
That makes me happy, and guys, he had actually stated the opposite a few months ago. This makes me very happy.

What, he said that Mangini would not be involved in writing the next album?  Source?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

They have usually released one album every two years, even in the years when they had less attention. Therefore, we can pretty much expect another record by the end of 2013. In order to achieve this, they would need to get some serious writing going by January. This wouldn't be anything extraordinary, they operated like this for the past ten years (except for Train of Thought, when they were even faster).

Assuming they want to push it because of the attention surrounding the Grammy nomination and how the fans love Mangini, they could enter the studio as early as late 2012 and have a record in stores by mid 2013. This would be faster than normal, but still within the boundaries of what they've done before.

As I recall, they said they tentatively planned to start writing around the end of this year, which would be almost exactly 2 years after they started writing ADTOE, so the timeline fits.  Given that they do not have the same issues with auditions, breaking in a new member, etc., if they do, it would put them on pace for a summer release if they followed their typical pattern.  I would guess mid-summer to early fall next year unless something changes from what they previously said.

That makes me happy, and guys, he had actually stated the opposite a few months ago. This makes me very happy.

What, he said that Mangini would not be involved in writing the next album?  Source?

Not exactly.  As I recall, it was just a passing comment where JP gave a long detailed description of the writing process this time around, and at the end of that discussion, mentioned that Mangini was not primarily involved while they were doing the initial writing, and then he made the passing comment of, "we'll probably follow a similar pattern next time around."  I don't think he was necessarily saying one way or the other whether Mangini would be involved in the writing, but more just making the general comment that they will generally follow the same writing formula as last time.  But who knows, really?  They'll do what they all think is best when the time comes.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Ah, that makes more sense.

Offline ThatcrazyKISSfan

I'll take Breaking All Illusions over The Great Debate any day of the week.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

The Great Debate is one of my favorite songs but I'd rather see Breaking All Illusions played.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
I've never understood why people care so much about who is involved in the writing process. Some of the best music I've ever heard was by bands with only one writer, and some of the best music I've ever heard was by bands with lots of writers. I really don't care who writes as long as no one is involved that sucks at writing.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
I've never understood why people care so much about who is involved in the writing process. Some of the best music I've ever heard was by bands with only one writer, and some of the best music I've ever heard was by bands with lots of writers. I really don't care who writes as long as no one is involved that sucks at writing.

Because a lot of people want to hear new interesting drum parts in DT?

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Are you implying that ADTOE didn't have any interesting drum parts?

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned

lol...no. Although, I know MM is capable of a LOT more than DT allowed him on this past record. I'm still satisfied by the drums. I'm simply saying that people want to hear what comes out of MM when HE comes up with the first part of a song.

Offline johncal

lol...no. Although, I know MM is capable of a LOT more than DT allowed him on this past record. I'm still satisfied by the drums. I'm simply saying that people want to hear what comes out of MM when HE comes up with the first part of a song.

I don't I costantly hear this "capable of a lot more" stuff. He has repeatedly said that some of the stuff he's doing on this album is incredibly difficult even on OTBOA. It's way harder to play that kind of stuff than it is to play straight timing at blistering speed.

The guy's drumming is far more intricate than what we've had on previous DT albums as it is. It's a different style. Maybe we'll get some additional simultanious multi time signature stuff, but i think if you're expecting more you'll be disappointed. There is a limit to what somone can do. What we had before in DT was admittedly louder but not as difficult. Not saying MP's stuff was bad by any means, he was great. I own all of his drumming vids so obviously I was impressed. Just now not nearly as much as with MM.  So how about somebody tells me what more should be expected of him. Maybe some high speed double pedal in a balad? I'd rather have the guy play within the music like he does now. I appreciate the humility, yet his talent speak loud enough. I mean the guy's doing insane... yet tasty stuff now.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

For me personally, I really want to hear MM in the writing process because I think the writing dynamic of ADTOE really needs that something more, and I'm hoping MM inspires them to break out of the mold a bit.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
That's pretty much how I feel.  I always like to hear what kind of music can come out of different collaborations.  Having him involved from the start will be different from having him come on board with the music basically finished and just waiting for him to add his parts.  Mangini's contributions will not necessarily make everything suddenly amazing, but it's possible that there will be something different and hard to pinpoint about the new album, and it will be his hand in it, the same way MP had a hand in how things sounded that was more than just his writing and playing.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned

For me personally, I really want to hear MM in the writing process because I think the writing dynamic of ADTOE really needs that something more, and I'm hoping MM inspires them to break out of the mold a bit.

I hate to break it to you, but that's not going to happen. DT is an established brand now, with somewhat of a formula (which is sorta weird for a "progressive' band). MM's style is also one that fits perfectly with what they do. If they were going for someone who was going to break the mold, then they would have picked Virgil or Marco.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

I hate to break it to you, but that's not going to happen. DT is an established brand now, with somewhat of a formula (which is sorta weird for a "progressive' band). MM's style is also one that fits perfectly with what they do. If they were going for someone who was going to break the mold, then they would have picked Virgil or Marco.

And I don't expect him to completely shake things up, or perhaps even want that. I just mean add his own "character" to the songwriting dynamic, and be involved in writing beats/rhythms from day 1, instead of coming in after the songs were already written.
Even just that much could add a lot of inspiration to vary the songwriting a bit, using an MM beat as the basis of a section of a song. We'll see. He may not have much influence at all, or maybe we'll notice something a little different. Either way, it's something I'm excited and interested to hear.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned

I don't I costantly hear this "capable of a lot more" stuff. He has repeatedly said that some of the stuff he's doing on this album is incredibly difficult even on OTBOA. It's way harder to play that kind of stuff than it is to play straight timing at blistering speed.

The guy's drumming is far more intricate than what we've had on previous DT albums as it is. It's a different style. Maybe we'll get some additional simultanious multi time signature stuff, but i think if you're expecting more you'll be disappointed. There is a limit to what somone can do. What we had before in DT was admittedly louder but not as difficult. Not saying MP's stuff was bad by any means, he was great. I own all of his drumming vids so obviously I was impressed. Just now not nearly as much as with MM.  So how about somebody tells me what more should be expected of him. Maybe some high speed double pedal in a balad? I'd rather have the guy play within the music like he does now. I appreciate the humility, yet his talent speak loud enough. I mean the guy's doing insane... yet tasty stuff now.
When did MM ever say that it's incredibly difficult? If anything, I remember a couple interviews in which he was asked which songs were the most difficult and either he replied This is the Life or he said none of them were really hard for him. Aside from the one handed single stroke  technique he uses, I don't think any of the parts are really that difficult for an intermediate drummer. That is different from well-thought-out. Some of the parts, which I presume he spiced up, are very melodic.

I said from the beginning that I noticed the drumming on the new album was already more intricate than previous DT albums, and more difficult to play (even though I'm not a drummer).

I simply stated that MM is able to play a LOT more stuff than what was on the album. If you have watched videos of him (not in DT) and payed attention to his solo, it's pretty clear. I'm satisfied with the drum parts on the album, I'm just saying that I've observed he's capable of far more. Outcry is probably the most difficult because of the set up involved, but other than that I don't think any of the songs ventures away from intermediate metal drumming skill, technically (aside from the thing I mentioned earlier). That makes sense since MM is a rock and metal drummer, but he's not just any...he's a classically trained one with amazing technique.

I don't expect the drum parts to change that much in the future, Im just sayin'...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
No actually MM said Outcry was a bitch to play in interviews.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark

Why is a well-tanned Abe Vigoda burning the Constitution?   ???
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
It's definitely going to be interesting to hear how Mangini's drum parts change when he is the one primarily writing them, but at the end of the day... They're drums. :lol I don't think Mangini's involvement is actually going to affect the music that much.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
It's time for me to input my.... input. I suppose.

He's a fucking genie. How could DT12 not be awesome :heart

Offline johncal

OK so I'm full of crap. I take back everything I said about there being limits to what someone can do after seeing this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAuJp7ikZzk    Problem is I don't know how the other guys can holdup to this. If they can however....... :biggrin:

PS must see in HD

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
OK so I'm full of crap. I take back everything I said about there being limits to what someone can do after seeing this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAuJp7ikZzk    Problem is I don't know how the other guys can holdup to this. If they can however....... :biggrin:

PS must see in HD

:hefdaddy