Poll

Do you consider Octavarium a top 20 DT song?

No
50 (22.2%)
Yes
175 (77.8%)

Total Members Voted: 221

Voting closed: October 22, 2022, 11:25:59 AM

Author Topic: Who else doesn't consider Octavarium a top 20 DT song?  (Read 15512 times)

Offline Evatallica

Re: Who else doesn't consider Octavarium a top 20 DT song?
« Reply #140 on: February 29, 2012, 04:15:14 PM »
2nd favorite song, behind In The Name Of God (don't hate).   :hefdaddy The only reason it's not my top favorite is because the first part takes too long to finally get started. Medicate Me and Razor's Edge are easily some of, if not THE best DT moments ever  :tup

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #141 on: March 01, 2012, 10:20:11 PM »
I don't think it's top 20. I think it's vastly overrated. Maybe it's the best on the album, but the album, unfortunately, is weak relative to DT's best albums.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #142 on: March 01, 2012, 11:14:50 PM »
I'm beginning to think that the people who don't like the song, don't really know all the thought and detail that went into in (conceptually). And saying that WDADU is better than it.. that's just wrong.. your opinion is wrong.
I know about the nuggets, musical references and the 5/8 thing but they don't make me appreciate the song any more because I don't find the quality of the music itself high enough. And about the WDADU thing - opinions are opinions.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #143 on: March 07, 2012, 11:56:59 AM »
Update: The Count of Tuscany is definitely better than Octavarium.  /fact :biggrin: :hat

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #144 on: March 07, 2012, 12:09:11 PM »
Update: The Count of Tuscany is definitely better than Octavarium.  /fact :biggrin: :hat

FYI, there are some really good rehab programs out there now.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #145 on: March 07, 2012, 12:11:42 PM »

FYI, there are some really good rehab programs out there now.

Cool.  Let me know how you do.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #146 on: March 07, 2012, 12:37:00 PM »
lol, burn

But seriously, The Count of Tuscany is better than Octavarium? Maybe my copy of BCSL cuts off at the end, before all the good stuff happens.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #147 on: March 07, 2012, 01:29:06 PM »
The Count of Tuscany is great, but nowhere as touching as Octavarium. Both have their virtuostic bits, both rock very hard in places, both can get catchy in places, but dang, Octavarium is way more beautiful and emotional.

Offline manticore999

« Reply #148 on: March 07, 2012, 04:07:42 PM »

So if that's really a 'fact', then that just means that TCOT is 2nd from the bottom, just above 8VM!   Ummmm .... fact - both songs suck. At least to me, anyway.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #149 on: March 07, 2012, 04:13:13 PM »
no way tuscany is better, at least for me

Offline chaotic_ripper

« Reply #150 on: March 07, 2012, 04:51:55 PM »

Word.  Then again, I think Another Day is better than Octavarium lol.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #151 on: March 07, 2012, 05:01:45 PM »
I've never really ranked DT songs so while I like Octavarium I'm not sure if it would be in my top 20 or not, but I do know that I also enjoy The Count of Tuscany more.  In fact I'll take that even further and say I like the intro to Count alone, and I'm talking just the acoustic passage w/ JP's lead over it, more than the entire song Octavarium.  Sorry about it.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #152 on: March 07, 2012, 05:23:20 PM »
I don't think either is top 20, but Octavarium is certainly better than Count of Tuscany. The latter is a pretty big disappointment considering how much time on the album it eats up. Octavarium isn't a disappointment, it's just not on the same level as Images, Change of Seasons, etc and it's not even remotely close.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #153 on: March 07, 2012, 10:41:03 PM »
The best bits of TCOT match or even exceed Octavarium, but TCOT doesn't have the consistency of Octavarium, so overall I would have to go with Octavarium. But I don't it at all crazy to choose TCOT over Octavarium, as they're both well written epics.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: March 07, 2012, 10:57:22 PM »
It's kinda funny.  Lots of people talk about how consistent Octavarium is, but to me, it's not at all consistent.  In fact, to me, it's right up there with A Nightmare to Remember and In The Presence of Enemies in terms of having some sections I adore and some sections I don't care as much for. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #155 on: March 07, 2012, 11:10:05 PM »
It's kinda funny.  Lots of people talk about how consistent Octavarium is, but to me, it's not at all consistent.  In fact, to me, it's right up there with A Nightmare to Remember and In The Presence of Enemies in terms of having some sections I adore and some sections I don't care as much for. 

That's understandable. The song goes through a lot of wildly varying sections, and when I first got the album there were aspects that bothered me too, such as the lyrics in Full Circle(?), and I can see why some people don't like the intro (although I think it establishes the perfect mood and builds up at just the right speed).
Obviously if there are parts you don't like, you wouldn't call it consistent. But if you do like every part, well obviously it is consistent. :lol
I think that TCOT is more consistent in style/tone, but less consistent in songwriting quality.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #156 on: March 08, 2012, 01:19:15 AM »
Maybe my copy of BCSL cuts off at the end, before all the good stuff happens.

:tup

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #157 on: March 15, 2012, 12:37:26 PM »
Top 5.   Nuff said.
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline Vivace

« Reply #158 on: March 27, 2012, 11:08:50 AM »
Octavarium for me is below par for Dream Theater, but let's put this into perspective. There isn't a Dream Theater song that I don't like enough to skip over it during a album listen, including the B-sides. None. I can't say that for any other band out there. Maybe Rush and Genesis, but that's about it. That's pretty damn incredible to have that many songs and not a single dud. Because of that, Octavarium has to be rated under the same scale and with that scale it is a below par song for me. I'm not sure where it fits, probably in the bottom 50. It's my lowest rated song on the album if that tells you anything. I'm not sure what my top 20 would end up being but I know for a fact that at least A Chance of Seasons, Scarred, Light Fuse and Get Away and Bridges in the Sky are in my top 20.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"