Author Topic: Bart Ehrman's Did Jesus Exist?  (Read 2092 times)

Offline William Wallace

Bart Ehrman's Did Jesus Exist?
« on: March 20, 2012, 05:20:02 PM »
I just reviewed Ehrman's new book about the Christ-myth. Anybody plan to read it?

Offline Scheavo

Re: Bart Ehrman's Did Jesus Exist?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 05:29:20 PM »
It's hilarious because the amount special pleading required to accept evolution but reject that Christianity was founded by the guy it's named for is monumental.

This sentence doesn't make sense to me.  Are you saying it requires "special pleading" to accept evolution, or that it's hypocritical to say there's more than enough evidence for evolution, but not for someone named Jesus existing?

And no, I won't read it, because like the author, I really don't care if someone named Jesus was alive two thousand years ago, and started a religion, and I've never really questioned that someone of the sorts did exist. I guess I should talk to more people, because I don't really know any who really doubt Jesus did exist.

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 05:55:53 PM »
What is the criteria for Jesus having existed? Exactly which facts have to apply to him? That his name was in fact "Jesus" and not any other name? That he was crucified? That his father was a carpenter? That his mother's name was Mary? That he turned water into wine? That he healed people? That he was John the Baptist's cousin? That he resurrected?

Or what's the alternative to him not having "existed"? The whole idea of Jesus and Christianity being fabrications by conspirators? Now that would be hard to sell, you'd think.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 06:57:28 PM »
It's hilarious because the amount special pleading required to accept evolution but reject that Christianity was founded by the guy it's named for is monumental.

This sentence doesn't make sense to me.  Are you saying it requires "special pleading" to accept evolution, or that it's hypocritical to say there's more than enough evidence for evolution, but not for someone named Jesus existing?
The latter.

And no, I won't read it, because like the author, I really don't care if someone named Jesus was alive two thousand years ago, and started a religion, and I've never really questioned that someone of the sorts did exist. I guess I should talk to more people, because I don't really know any who really doubt Jesus did exist.
Fair enough. The subject appeals to a rather narrow group of people. Even most biblical scholars won't waste time on the idea that Jesus didn't exist.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 08:39:23 PM »
Anybody plan to read it?
Not me.  I liked Ehrman's older stuff, but he has become increasingly repetitive and hostile as the years have gone by.  I much preferred when he stuck to, well, scholarship.  This subject in particular seems unnecessary for him to address.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 09:06:50 PM »
Anybody plan to read it?
Not me.  I liked Ehrman's older stuff, but he has become increasingly repetitive and hostile as the years have gone by.  I much preferred when he stuck to, well, scholarship.  This subject in particular seems unnecessary for him to address.
Certainly true of everything after Misquoting Jesus. Still, I can't blame him for the string of popular books he's written. Everything he publishes sells well and he is the face of biblical scholarship as far as the press is concerned. I think this book, however, is far better than the last few. He went back to educating the public as opposed to writing "omg thers contradictions in the bible!" books.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 04:29:47 AM »
*shrugs*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 11:15:34 AM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 08:14:42 AM »
https://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/07/the-jesus-debate-man-vs-myth/

Kinda ballsy to have it on Easter, probably getting a lot of nasty email.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 11:26:21 AM »
 :yarr
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 11:39:00 AM by comment »
Signature

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 11:34:31 AM »
https://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/07/the-jesus-debate-man-vs-myth/

Kinda ballsy to have it on Easter, probably getting a lot of nasty email.

rumborak

It was a drawing of a third-century amulet depicting a naked man nailed to a cross. The man was born of a virgin, preached about being “born again” and had risen from the dead after crucifixion, Freke says.

But the name on the amulet wasn’t Jesus. It was a pseudonym for Osiris-Dionysus, a pagan god in ancient Mediterranean culture.

Truth?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 12:34:10 PM »
It's of course hard to prove, but with all the bunny hopping and egg eating this weekend, I don't think it's very hard to imagine some Jesus stories having been syncretized from other mythologies. Old habits die very hard.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 12:38:57 PM »
It's of course hard to prove, but with all the bunny hopping and egg eating this weekend, I don't think it's very hard to imagine some Jesus stories having been syncretized from other mythologies. Old habits die very hard.

rumborak

That'd be my assumption as well (as in, it wouldn't mean "Jesus" didn't exist, it just means Christianity is a religion of it's times) - but it does say something about the "divinity" argument.