Author Topic: Awesome/Archived threads lifespan  (Read 3563 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Awesome/Archived threads lifespan
« on: March 20, 2012, 04:22:25 AM »
So, I came this morning to the forum and saw this thread https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=31507.0 which was archived because of it's awesomness even though it just existed for about two hours and it made me sad that I was not able to participate in the awesomness because I was in bed at the time.

Can I propose that when this kind of great threads are created to leave them be for at least 24 hours before they are locked/archived so that everyone gets a chance to participate in them?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Awesome/Archived threads lifespan
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 04:25:14 AM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. It had really only just started, and hadn't had any chance to run its natural course, and was just arbitrarily archived before it had gone anywhere, and took a lot of potential fun away. I was just about to post in it, but then was very surprised that it had already been locked and moved.

It almost seemed like a case of "oh those few posts were funny, I better quickly archive it before the pesky forum has a chance to ruin it."
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 05:44:54 AM »
It was moved because I was heading to bed and had no idea what course it would take by morning. I wouldn't even have thought to do it had someone else not requested it. And really, in the end, is it really a big deal?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 05:54:57 AM »
No more of a big deal than being on the forum in general. And what's the point of a forum if we're being denied the chance to even participate in threads for no valid reason?

And there are other mods. Why would you preemptively lock a thread just because you won't be around? Sounds like it's a modding issue to me, and not something we should have to miss out for.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 06:20:34 AM »
Well Blob, let's be fair with Nick. He archived it because he made 2 great posts on a row and was probably afraid that he was going to fail and ruin it.  :biggrin:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 06:35:41 AM »
No more of a big deal than being on the forum in general. And what's the point of a forum if we're being denied the chance to even participate in threads for no valid reason?

And there are other mods. Why would you preemptively lock a thread just because you won't be around? Sounds like it's a modding issue to me, and not something we should have to miss out for.

For starters there is nothing that states every poster has to have a chance to participate in every thread at any time. Which sucks, because without that you're right, what's even the point of being here? I mean there's like thousands of other threads, but who wants to participate in those? :p

And there are other mods, but when a thread has been requested by the starter to be locked, has potential to just become chat thread #2, and I was already dealing with it there is no reason to let it slip to the rest of the guys when I have it under control. Once again, I think you're really looking into this waaay too far.

Well Blob, let's be fair with Nick. He archived it because he made 2 great posts on a row and was probably afraid that he was going to fail and ruin it.  :biggrin:

Also a completely valid point.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1