Author Topic: Dr. DTVT's 50 Underappriciated bands v. Better than the Loch Ness Monster  (Read 56186 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: DTVT's 50 Underappriciated bands v. Weird, but not too weird
« Reply #455 on: June 07, 2012, 08:30:34 AM »
Obscure is... Chris Collins.

Directed by M. Night Shyamalan.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
16. Dan Swanö - Moontower

so I just checked this out through nefarious means on youtube.  Holy. crap. this is awesome.

Not a fan of mp3 . . . I really need to find a way to get this cd at a decent price.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #457 on: June 07, 2012, 10:59:11 AM »
whoa!! it's Tor's birthday.... the bass guitarist of Leprous....

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
16. Dan Swanö - Moontower

so I just checked this out through nefarious means on youtube.  Holy. crap. this is awesome.

Not a fan of mp3 . . . I really need to find a way to get this cd at a decent price.

Fat chance.  The guy listing a copy on eBay won't lower it even though he's re-listed it already.  I have an active search for the album that alerts me when anyone lists it, and it doesn't come up often, and when it does expect to pay $25+.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #459 on: June 07, 2012, 12:48:38 PM »
I took a listen of Leprous, and it didn't really strike me as that great at the first listen, but I have to say that the album cover of Bilateral is really badass.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: June 07, 2012, 12:52:17 PM »
hmmmmm... which tracks did you try? whole album?... if not... I'd add Mediocrity Wins and Restless to doc's list.... Thorn should do the trick too...

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #461 on: June 07, 2012, 01:22:50 PM »
OK, I'll have to check them out sometime. Not today, though. I'm not in the mood for discovering stuff at the moment. Definitely noted, though.  :tup

Offline Leprous

• Especially Special
« Reply #462 on: June 07, 2012, 02:28:50 PM »
absolutely LOVE Leprous :D both albums, and their demo CD are just amgad
Til the moment comes around, like I've been here once before, and I'm questioning the truth, no escaping déjà vu...

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #463 on: June 07, 2012, 10:00:42 PM »
absolutely LOVE Leprous :D

No way, wouldn't have seen that coming. :p

:D
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTVT's 50 Underappriciated bands v. Out of nowhere to grab AOTY
« Reply #464 on: June 08, 2012, 07:25:11 PM »
13. Flaming Row - Elinoire

Genre: Symphonic Progressive Metal
For fans of: Shadow Gallery, Ayreon, Avantasia
What makes this special: Concept album featuring a lot of singers.  Great vocal harmonies and great solos as well.

This was my album of the year in 2011, which was an incredibly strong year for music releases.  This is also the highest a single album is getting ranked here, and probably would rank higher if it simply had more than this album.  Honestly, despite the fact that the names attached to this are less impressive than the lineups AAJ lines up for Ayreon, I enjoy this album more than any Ayreon album.  Yes, even more than The Human Equation.  While the individual vocal talent triumphs on THE, the manner in which the vocalists are used on Elinoire is much better in terms.  Musically, Elinoire wins hands down.  Story we'll call a draw.  Regardless, a year later I'm still spinning Elinoire, whereas I can't say the same a year after I got THE, which had a lot less competition from the rest of my collection back then.

Now that I've thoroughly pissed everyone off by trashing THE, time to go back to convincing you to buy this album.  This is probably the only album I paid more than $20 for and not given it a second thought later.  Well worth the money.  There is a lot to love about this album.  The female vocals are graceful and beautiful.  The vocal harmonies and blending of so many voices works is incredible.  The solos are fantastic.  The harmonies and melodies are well constructed and executed.  There is variation between the songs so the entire 74 minute album doesn't sound the same.  It's just a fantastic album that really lacks any flaws other than it's price point compared to other albums, but after a listen you really won't care that you shelled out more than normal.

Tracks to try: I'd love to say the whole album so here's a variety (not necessarily my three favorite) First Day, Rage of Despair, Unearth The Truth

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTVT's 50 Underappriciated bands v. Halftime!!
« Reply #465 on: June 08, 2012, 07:27:05 PM »
Recap:

50. Pinnacle
49. Zero Hour
48. Turisas
47. Eumeria
46. It Bites
45. Kaddisfly
44. Eternity X
43. Vonassi
42. Worlds
41. The Tangent
40. Circle II Circle
39. Intronaut
38. Grayceon
37. Haggard
36. Ice Age
35. Mystery
34. Wuthering Heights
33. The ANABASIS
32. Scar Symmetry
31. Pagan's Mind
30. Cloudscape
29. Ben Folds Five / Ben Folds
28. Pendragon
27. Epica / Mayan
26. Kevin Gilbert / Toy Matinee
25. Alcest
24. Enslaved
23. Avantasia
22. Henning Pauly / Chain / Frameshift
21. Savatage
20. Karmakanic
19. Vanishing Point
18. Clockwork
17. Amaran's Plight
16. Beyond The Bridge
15. Dan Swanö
14. Leprous
13. Flaming Row

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #466 on: June 08, 2012, 08:11:14 PM »
Everything you said I agree with, except it being better than THE - but it's close. I too shelled out $29 directly from the band's website, and it's worth every penny. You really do need the liners notes to get the characters and lyrics, and I still don't think they are online anywhere, this is such open unknown album. I actually checked the price of flights to Frankfurt for the Beyond the Bridge/Flaming Row concert in the 19th of Aug. Alas, work commitments and $1700 price tag prohibit it.

And Rage of Despair, and Unearth the Truth are my top 2 tracks ... Both available on utube. Yes Doc, I even like the growlies.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 04:20:19 AM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Leprous

• Especially Special
« Reply #467 on: June 09, 2012, 01:42:56 AM »
Suh-weet, it's on Spotify :D

Love it so far, really amazing layered vocals!
Til the moment comes around, like I've been here once before, and I'm questioning the truth, no escaping déjà vu...

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #468 on: June 09, 2012, 04:17:58 AM »
I will definitely try that one out, sounds interesting and good :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #469 on: June 10, 2012, 05:53:07 AM »
These guys sound really cool. Damn you Doc, you're making me broke, and I still have to finance my driver's license!!

Oh, and Leprous, your avatar made me  :rollin

Offline weirdo

« Reply #470 on: June 13, 2012, 12:41:56 PM »
Its $16.99 on amazon.com atm, not that expensive after all

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #471 on: June 13, 2012, 01:00:21 PM »
I got this one on jingle's recommendation.  Note to forum, jingle is usually right. Have only given it a few spins, but it is a great album.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: June 13, 2012, 01:18:56 PM »
Quit ass kissing! You're just trying to get rid of the below quote I sig'd.

it might work
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #473 on: June 13, 2012, 03:19:10 PM »
Recap:

50. Pinnacle
49. Zero Hour
46. It Bites
45. Kaddisfly
43. Vonassi
42. Worlds
41. The Tangent
40. Circle II Circle
35. Mystery
33. The ANABASIS
31. Pagan's Mind
30. Cloudscape
28. Pendragon
25. Alcest
23. Avantasia
22. Henning Pauly / Chain / Frameshift
21. Savatage
20. Karmakanic
19. Vanishing Point
17. Amaran's Plight
16. Beyond The Bridge
14. Leprous
13. Flaming Row

23/38 so far of bands I either own something by or am reasonably familiar with.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTVT's 50 Underappriciated bands v. Texas's answer to Queensrÿche
« Reply #474 on: June 13, 2012, 08:30:39 PM »
12. Power of Omens - Eyes of the Oracle & Rooms of Anguish

Genre: Progressive Metal
For fans of: Geoff Tate style vocals
What makes this special: Great Texas prog band that just never got the break it needed before their bassist died.

This is the greatest fluke in my collection.  I bought the album sight unseen based on the name of the band, because my nickname since I was 10 years old was "Omen" or "Bad Omen".  Well, I lucked out on two fronts.  One, they play some great progressive metal, and two, I didn't have to shell out a large sum for a used copy like you do now for Eyes of the Oracle.  Power of Omens also just happens to hit my sweet spot in terms of music, I like complex compositions with a lot of things going on at once, which is why this and Clockwork (#18 on this list) rate so high for me.  But where Clockwork had a brighter tone, Power of Omens has a darker more sinister tone, which they do a great job with blending and complementing Chris Salinas high register vocals.  You might remember we discussed Chris back at #49 when discussing Zero Hour, this is where he got his start.

Musically, Eyes of the Oracle is like a darker, much more complex version of awesome-era Queensrÿche, whereas Rooms of Anguish has a sound that draws more Spanish influence.  Hopefully you guys can find them on spotify or something, because I've always enjoyed this band, and not just for Chris Salinas.  I'd love to see the other guys in the band do something again.

Tracks to try: Word on a Line, The Fall, Test of Wills, My Best to Be..., As Winter Falls, Only a Dream  (yes, I picked some long ass songs.  Deal with it.)

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #475 on: June 13, 2012, 10:01:37 PM »
I have noticed participation of this thread has been declining (I blame myself for the lack of momentum), so maybe this will get people talking again.

been following, but, for the most part, havent heard too many of the more recently listed bands and havent had much chance for checking out new music lately. very much enjoying the thread, though.

When I first picked up my first Leprous album.. I didn't listen to anything else... for at least for three weeks... well that's what happens when I get floored by a band... their sound is absolutely brilliant.. Einar's voice is so beautiful and I love his vocal style...  song-writing is amazing too.. good production .. and very accessible guys to fans as well... I can't think of anything bad about'em....

this. exactly this. cant get enough of these guys after discovering them outta nowhere at the end of last year. now easily one of my top handful of current bands. you know, i dont think ive ever noticed anyone mention it, but i get a strong POS influence outta them...other influences as well, but when i pimp them on people, i often compare em to being a more heavy metal version of POS.

and, hey!, Power of Omens, a POO acronym, just like me username! (interestingly, i actually discussed said acronym with their guitarist on the old DT.org forum back in the day). i believe i guessed these guys to be a future inclusion back on page one, after Zero Hour were listed, but before DTVT gave us/me shit and asked that no one throw out any guesses, unless PM'd. ive been waiting weeks for their arrival, never any less certain than 99.44% of their inclusion.

i dont know that i actually think it, but i used to point out how drummer buddy would, essentilly, play fills for beats...and would kinda play beats for fills. its probly a huge exaggeration, but theres definitely some truth to it.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #476 on: June 14, 2012, 12:11:59 AM »
12. Power of Omens - Eyes of the Oracle & Rooms of Anguish

For fans of: Geoff Tate style vocals
What makes this special: Great Texas prog band that just never got the break it needed before their bassist died.

This is the greatest fluke in my collection.  I bought the album sight unseen based on the name of the band, because my nickname since I was 10 years old was "Omen" or "Bad Omen".  Well, I lucked out on two fronts.  One, they play some great progressive metal, and two, I didn't have to shell out a large sum for a used copy like you do now for Eyes of the Oracle.  Power of Omens also just happens to hit my sweet spot in terms of music, I like complex compositions with a lot of things going on at once, which is why this and Clockwork (#18 on this list) rate so high for me.  But where Clockwork had a brighter tone, Power of Omens has a darker more sinister tone, which they do a great job with blending and complementing Chris Salinas high register vocals.  You might remember we discussed Chris back at #49 when discussing Zero Hour, this is where he got his start.

Musically, Eyes of the Oracle is like a darker, much more complex version of awesome-era Queensrÿche, whereas Rooms of Anguish has a sound that draws more Spanish influence.  Hopefully you guys can find them on spotify or something, because I've always enjoyed this band, and not just for Chris Salinas.  I'd love to see the other guys in the band do something again.

Tracks to try: Word on a Line, The Fall, Test of Wills, My Best to Be..., As Winter Falls, Only a Dream  (yes, I picked some long ass songs.  Deal with it.)

OMG someone else has heard of Power of Omens. God I love this band. Love them love them love them. It's a shame they never got the big break they deserved. Rooms of Anguish is one of my favorite prog metal albums ever-it's just damn brilliant. That they never got on a label like Inside Out is damn tragic. And the first album is nearly as good as Rooms of Anguish. Listen to these guys NOW and consider what might have been. They were AMAZING.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #477 on: June 14, 2012, 04:12:00 AM »
Never ever heard of this band, but it sounds very interesting.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: June 14, 2012, 05:19:03 AM »
Power of Omens does have a few tracks on MySpace. Insanely technical. Very good tunes. I'll be listening to more of them as I can on MS

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: June 14, 2012, 05:32:25 AM »
I vaguely remember coming across this band... will look into their work...

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: June 14, 2012, 09:46:47 AM »
Glad to see other Power of Omens fans.  If I didn't already have my CD's packed, I'd take a picture of myself just to show I actaully do own them.

Definitely check them out on Myspace and Facebook.  They have a bunch of youtube links on their facebook page.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #481 on: June 14, 2012, 10:01:09 AM »
yes, I picked some long ass songs.  Deal with it.

I don't that that's too much of a problem on a prog messageboard.  :lol

Anyway, just listening to Word on a Line. Sounding great so far.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #482 on: June 14, 2012, 10:49:26 AM »
after my post last night, i threw on Test of Wills.  :hefdaddy so good. right up there with amongst my favorite prog metal epics.

rooms of anguish might be more consistent, but i always kinda felt eyes of the oracle had higher highs.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: June 18, 2012, 03:53:30 AM »
Chad gave me a track to listen to from Flaming Row and I really enjoyed it, gotta look into that one.

Also, I am listening to Dan Swano's Moontower.  I purchased the mp3's online as getting a physical copy seems difficult at a reasonable price.  Incredible, I don't expect anything less from this guy.

Mason, if you haven't already, check out Edge of Sanity, mostly Crimson 1 and 2, they are Swano at his absolute best.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: June 18, 2012, 03:59:44 AM »
This thread needs more than once-a-week updates.

Daaaaaaaaaa, what's up doc?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #485 on: June 18, 2012, 05:35:40 AM »
Power Of Omens is almost too busy to enjoy, especially the drumming.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #486 on: June 18, 2012, 06:16:19 AM »
I can see that as being a barrier to entry for listening to Power of Omens, definitely. While I love the band to death, there were occasions where I did wish the band would get, to use your term, a little less busy and just flat out rock.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: July 09, 2012, 02:15:40 PM »
DTVT  ...what happened ?  you become a doctor and can't finish the list
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #488 on: July 09, 2012, 02:20:23 PM »
Dude went on vacation and is moving shortly too I believe.

Hopefully this will get finished... maybe by the end of the summer before he starts his new gig.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #489 on: July 10, 2012, 03:40:05 PM »
I was wondering what happened to this list...

Great to see it back, and looking forward to the top 10!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.