Author Topic: Dr. DTVT's 50 Underappriciated bands v. Better than the Loch Ness Monster  (Read 56619 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
43.  Vonassi - The Battle of Ego

Genre: Crossover prog rock that's more rock than prog
For fans of:  Muse, late-90s Anathema

This band is one of the major reasons why I'll just take complete flyers on bands I never heard of if they sound interesting.  Back in Thanksgiving 2010, I was placing an order during ProgRock Records annual Black Friday sale.  While getting five albums I knew I wanted, I decided I was going to pick a band I never heard of and just see what I end up with.  My favorite album of that haul is what I ended up with.  The band name is a portmanteau of the two founders last names (Vaughn and Bounassi), and the band is rounded out by vocalist Chase Carter.  At this point they only have this album to their credit, but I sure hope they make more.  This album has some straight up rockers that you want to sing along with in the chorus, a sublime summery ballad, and enough prog to keep your ears happy.  This is one of the most obscure bands I'll have here, and I really hope I can generate some interest in them and sell a few albums for them because not only is this album so very good, but it just oozes with potential as well.  At the time I wrote this, Vonassi only has 708 scrobbles on last.fm, of which 203 of them are mine, making me by far their biggest fan on last.fm.

Tracks to try:  Gini, Strong Arm Welfare, Open Hands, Coiled

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
BTW, thanks j.b and lonestar - I really just wanted a new page to post my next album  ;D

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
So I'm probably going 0 for 50 then.  Do I get a prize for doing that?  Besides 50 bands to check out I mean.

I'm still holding tommy prediction of knowing 9. I'm sure as we get higher, the albums will get less obscure.  I'm pretty sure of at least 3 that I can think of off the top of my head that should (better) show up here.

Nice mug-shot. You should use that as the intro to your CV :rollin. I am sitting by the way.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
You might not own them, but I bet you could guess 3 of my top 4, 4 of my top 6, and 5 of my top 10; but your guess of 9 out of 50 will be pretty darn close I think, especially if we quantify them as stuff you own or plan on owning as of today.

If you want to guess, PM, don't post.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Have I purchased one of your top 50 in the last couple of weeks?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm 1 for 8 at the moment.  My prediction of how many I will know is 11/50.  A big call, but I think I can get there.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Have I purchased one of your top 50 in the last couple of weeks?

Very yes.

I'm 1 for 8 at the moment.  My prediction of how many I will know is 11/50.  A big call, but I think I can get there.

That might be about right, maybe a tad on the low side.  That still leaves alot for you.

BTW, j.b and lonestar, I think you guys would like Vonassi

Offline contest_sanity

DTVT - your list makes me curious like a cat.  I'll have all my friends call me "Whiskers."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Was this forum having a crush on Eternity X about 10 years ago?  Some forum I lurked on back then loved this group, I think it was here.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
As I said somewhere earlier, I'm going cold turkey on any (more) new bands until my roulette. Plus, I've got discogs from Jorn, Masterplan, and a couple of others I won't mention (they might be coming on your list) to still "enjoy". when you're finally done, I'll be taking your list, and working my way thru them. That should hold me thru the end of the year.

Wasn't gonna post my guesses, but will PM you.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
This is possibly the most exciting top 50 list ever.  I love it.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
I'm watching Shawshank Redemption right now for the 50 millionth time, as soon as it's over, I'll start checking stuff out.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
@yorost - the place I was referring to is dead for all intents and purposes.  I even thought about inviting them here.

The day Shawshank gets old is the day I want to die.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Exactly.  Best movie ever.

OK, checked out Pinnacle and Zero Hour.  Pinnacle, on one crappy Youtube video, is a yes.  Zero Hour is a maybe at the moment, but I will investigate further, I listened to Towers of Avarice, and it just ain't clicking for me, but that's only one listen.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 01:17:25 AM by lonestar »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Eternity X has me intrigued! Will definitely check out!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline yorost

• Inactive
@yorost - the place I was referring to is dead for all intents and purposes.  I even thought about inviting them here.

The day Shawshank gets old is the day I want to die.
Yup, great movie.

I didn't read your writeup on Eternity X, since I know them well enough.  Whatever you say about them won't change me at this point.  I seriously think this place may have had a following here back in the beginning.  Somewhere I visited did, they generated discussion the size of Porcupine Tree with the controversy of Vanden Plas.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Vonassi sounds familiar. Other than that, don't know any so far. :o

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've heard of zero hour, but none others.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline senecadawg2

I'm really enjoying the list so far. Haven't heard of any of these bands, and I'm definitely looking to check out Eternity X, Eumeria, and It Bites.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: DTVT's 50 Underappriciated albums/bands v. Starting at the top...
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2012, 08:18:14 PM »
50.  Pinnacle - Meld

Genre:  Heavy Prog
For fans of:  Fish-era Marillion who like more instrumental bits.

Nekov's comment might not be too far off in this first album :)  I'm starting with one of the more obscure artists on this list - because the best way to buy their albums is directly from the band.  I think the best way to describe this band is they sound like a more modern version of Clutching at Straws Marillion.  While the vocals are serviceable, the real highlight of this album is Karl Eisenheart's proggy guitar and synth work that have a Steve Morse flavor I could just groove on and use to block out the rest of the world for a short period of time.  This is one of the more mellow albums I own and I tend to reach for it when life has me frustrated and I need something I can space out on.  I still need to pick up their first album, which I'll probably get when their third album - which they are working on - is completed.

Tracks to try out: Information Overload, Built for Speed (for Eliza Dushku) (instrumental), The Life in a Year

I have a feeling this album will top my list of your list. I've already seen them four or five times already (although not with the new vocalist yet) Much better live band and they have been quiet lately but they ARE working on a new album, though it's taking a while.

So far I'm not learning much, but I expect this will change.

I do know that thanks to DTVT, there will be Zero Hour in my future. 

Somewhat related to this  -- Anyone know anything about a band called Cryptyx?  I'm pretty sure I need to check these guys out too, but I wanted independent verification.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Nick's had them on the show in the past.  Not since Oct though.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
42.  Worlds - Out of the Cold

Genre: Progressive rock
For fans of: 70s prog
What makes them unique:  Great guitar licks, the vocalist

So how rare is this album?  I had to upload my own picture to get a decent album cover :lol  I only know of this band because the vocalist's son is our very own Splent.  That said, the first time I heard a song by Worlds I didn't know it was Splent's dad, and I was immediately scouring Google trying to find out about this new band "Worlds" I was hearing.  So while the first thing I noticed about the band was the uniquely high-pitched singer, it didn't take long for me to realize there was some really nice licks and riffs from the guitar player.  Aside from one weak track in the album, Out of the Cold delivers a sound that any 70s prog enthusiast will appriciate, a guitar that sometimes harkens to late 70s Rush, and some real stand out tracks.  Since the track seems to be uploaded by the band, I'm including a link to my favorite song on the album for everyone to enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSf1_qAjI5A

Tracks to try: The Fifthe Wheel (above), Little Lens, Space Age Hero, Legacy

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTVT's 50 Underappriciated albums/bands v. THE MODS SCREWED ME
« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2012, 08:46:43 PM »
Inb4 DTVT posts bands not even the band members's parents children know of

Fix'd for above post.

Listening now.  Diggin it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Nick's had them on the show in the past.  Not since Oct though.

So my suspicion that Enchant's drummer and some of Zero Hour got together to form this band is correct then?

I think I found out about #42 from Splent himself....

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
No, that's Cynthesis.  Cryptex is a totally different band.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wow, digging the Worlds track!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
0 - 8
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
Finally I could make my way to this thread.... I'll start from the very beginning... go page by page... post by post... thanks for the effort... loads to check out in here...

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
I just got the Cynthesis album yesterday and this is my first listen impression:

It's not Zero Hour, but you can hear pieces of Zero Hour in there.  Definately more melodic, which is why someone (yorost?) said they sound "normal".  Eric Sunvold sounds a lot better than he did on Towers of Avarice.  Pretty decent if you detach expectations of hearing a Zero Hour type of sound.  People who don't like ZH would probably enjoy this.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
"Normal" was me, yeah.  I actually just gave it some listens,  ...I like it better, but it is still hard to shake the feeling that I wish they were doing Zero Hour.  Definitely willing to call it a good album, but I definitely think it might suit prog metal fans not very into Zero Hour better. ...if that makes sense.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Cynthesis sounds very interesting to me. It's the lack of melody that kills Zero Hour for me.
Will check out.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
1 - 7

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
42.  Worlds - Out of the Cold

Genre: Progressive rock
For fans of: 70s prog
What makes them unique:  Great guitar licks, the vocalist

So how rare is this album?  I had to upload my own picture to get a decent album cover :lol  I only know of this band because the vocalist's son is our very own Splent.  That said, the first time I heard a song by Worlds I didn't know it was Splent's dad, and I was immediately scouring Google trying to find out about this new band "Worlds" I was hearing.  So while the first thing I noticed about the band was the uniquely high-pitched singer, it didn't take long for me to realize there was some really nice licks and riffs from the guitar player.  Aside from one weak track in the album, Out of the Cold delivers a sound that any 70s prog enthusiast will appriciate, a guitar that sometimes harkens to late 70s Rush, and some real stand out tracks.  Since the track seems to be uploaded by the band, I'm including a link to my favorite song on the album for everyone to enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSf1_qAjI5A

Tracks to try: The Fifthe Wheel (above), Little Lens, Space Age Hero, Legacy
:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal
 :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup

Best band on this list and will be the best band on this list.  And I'm not biased at all.  ;)

That being said, it sucks that they only made one album.  I have a few demos they made after this album, before the band split up.  First the drummer left, he lives in MN now and I think teaches drums.  They hired a new drummer and keyboardist and were around until around 1986 or so.  The rest of the band wanted to move to LA to try and get a little more press and popularity, but my dad couldn't uproot his family.  I was 3 and my sister was a baby and that would just be hard.  Also, with two kids he realized that doing music full time wasn't worth it anymore (he was gone ALOT when I was really little).  They were around a couple more years in CA, re-released the ablum as Space Age Hero (even rarer!!!!) and then split up.  The Wallace brothers (guitarist, bassist, keyboardist, vocalist on White Mist and a few other tracks) formed another band called Karma Farm... you'd probably dig it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEmN5HJo41g  They are doing their own things now, performing and producing.  My dad still sings in WI, he's a part of a Journey tribute band called Separate Ways.  https://www.myspace.com/separatewayslive  He's also in a classic rock cover band.

Story: when they were recording this album in Oak Lawn, IL, they were in the same studio as Dennis DeYoung from Styx, who was recording a solo album at the time.  He tried to sell my dad his keyboard for $100.  He turned him down cause he couldn't afford it at the time.  But DANG would that be cool.

Also check out the liner notes.  I'm in there in the thanks :)
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Too much on my plate work wise I need to get done tonight.  Double or triple shot tomorrow.  Use the time off to explore the artists already mentioned :)