Author Topic: Dr. DTVT's 50 Underappriciated bands v. Better than the Loch Ness Monster  (Read 56181 times)

Offline senecadawg2

If it's anything like Eumeria, as you suggested, I'm sure I'll enjoy it!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
I think Vanishing Point is better than Eumeria  ;)

Offline Lowdz

The Eumeria lost its shine very quickly after initially being good. I certainly prefer Myrath. Now their 2nd and 3rd albums are excellent.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I've been waiting for VP to be listed Mason, well done. I'd put them a little higher, but I'm happy they made your top 20.

Vanishing Point are absolutely incredible.  One of my fav bands in general. Check Embrace first, then Tangled then Season, than the debut.  Simply amazing prog and I wish they were able to break through.  I've seen them live too and they put on a decent show, while performing their music quite well compared to the studio albums.  I hope we get another album from them someday.  it's a shame down here in Australia they are completely unknown to the average joe on the street, depressing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I think Vanishing Point is better than Eumeria  ;)

This, by a million miles.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Don't have any VP, but everything I've ever heard from them is top notch.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTVT's 50 Underappriciated bands v. The great disappearing act
« Reply #426 on: June 01, 2012, 11:26:06 PM »
18. Clockwork - Surface Tension

Genre: Progressive metal
For fans of: complex multi-part melodies, 90s Prog metal
What makes this special: Incredibly talented band and frontman that never got a break and shines despite sub-par production

Of all the "one and done" bands (side projects don't count), Clockwork is by far my favorite.  It's also the first progressive metal act I saw live - yes, even before I saw Dream Theater.  Their one full length album (they also had an EP with demos they sold at shows, and I'm damn proud to say I own a copy) showcases their incredible talent as musicians and song writers.  The music ranges from gritty guitar riffs to airy orchestral arrangements, and is chock full of bluesy and jazzy parts, and an energy that few albums have.  Musically, most of the album could stand on two legs as an instrumental album with its complex arrangements and high energy, and the vocals just take things up another level due to the range and energy.  It's a one album masterpiece, and it is a complete shame that none of these guys went on to do more music.  It is an album I recommend to almost everybody, and if you can get past the low production values you'll find an album chock full of goodies that will can enjoy for years on end like I have.  A final word of warning: there are lots of bands named Clockwork.  Only this one (or the EP Search if you can manage to find it) is the real McCoy.

Tracks to try:  Secrets of the Centuries, If These Walls Could Talk, Design of Enlightenment

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #427 on: June 02, 2012, 04:31:25 AM »
Having heard If These Walls Could Talk, I'll certainly vouch for the technical wizardry from these guys.  As you said with your last writeup, if you like Eumeria, you'll probably like these guys.  Very impressive musical skills here.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #428 on: June 02, 2012, 06:40:15 AM »
First time hearing this band and I'm digging your suggested tunes Doc!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #429 on: June 02, 2012, 08:34:41 AM »
Good ones Doc.... Savatage is a Top 10 band in my book.... huge Jon Oliva fan here!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
17. Amaran's Plight - Voice In The Light

For fans of: Spock's Beard, Shadow Gallery, great vocals and vocal harmonies
What makes this special: Superstar lineup drawing on each of the members strengths

This is a super group that is composed of some of my favorite musicians.  It has multi-instrumentalist and fantastic song writer Gary Wehrkamp, Nick D'Virgilio on drums, D.C. Cooper on vocals, and Kurt Barabas handling bass duties.  That lineup is gang busters folks.  The album sounds almost what you would expect if you crossed Shadow Gallery and Spock's Beard, except the nature of the story of the album doesn't lead to as much of the lighthearted side of Spock's Beard.  I don't want to give away the story of the album, but I will say that it is very fleshed out and pretty easy to follow.  Musically, this album is a beast.  It is powerful and moving, with nary a lull in the flow of the story or the music.  Some of the songs are graceful ballads, and others are fast, aggressive powerhouses.

Tracks to try:  Shattered Dreams, Viper, Turning Point

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That's a really great album.  I'd also recommed it for any prog fan.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
FANTASTIC album. Seriously something most people here should investigate.

Although, mine isn't signed like yours is  :sadpanda:

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
AP is a great album, hope they do a follow up at some point.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
16. Beyond the Bridge - The Old Man and the Spirit

For fans of: bands with male and female vocalists, story albums
What makes this special: Strong debut concept albumthat pretty much does everything it tries to do right

This is a late substitution for a band I have since decided to drop because I think most people here know them, and I decided to give this new album some more pub, even though there is a small cache of us that really like this album.  Musically, its gritty parts are aggressive and hard, the melodic sections are beautiful, the solos are well crafted and within the structure of the song, the balance and mix of vocals is great, the story is nice, yet open enough to allow some variance in interpretation.  By the time the chorus rolls around in the first song "The Call", you should realize that these guys came out punching with steel-plated gloves.  Bands like this are why prog metal will never die, as the demonstrate that there are plenty of ways to keep the genre from stagnating.  One of the top three debut albums in the past five years in my opinion.  I had a hard time picking three songs, so I went with the three I appreciated almost immediately.

Tracks to try: The Call, World of Wonders, The Difference Is Human

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
Great album...  Absolutely fantastic... I have to thank RJ to almost forcing me to give it a spin... as he knew it would take me ages since I was busy with other things..
very nice guys too...  seeing them in August... with Flaming Row... and interviews are scheduled   :)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
When I do my top fifty, this album will rank very high.  Very emotional, very personal for me, and executed so well.  I really just get stunned by it still, and I probably gave it over 30 spins in the week I was writing the review for obscure's site.  Just a wonderful piece of music, beginning to end.

/fanboyishness

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, it is fantastic. And I'm so insanely jealous of the BtB and FR concert. What a bill!! 

Curious, who did these guys bump?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Not saying, but the band they bumped isn't unknown, I originally just wanted to give them a spot to pimp them.  The band bumped was not in this spot, I just inserted this and moved everyone below the removed band up a spot.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Since everyone is clamoring for the bumped band, send me up to three guesses by PM.  I will tell you if one of them is right.  I have noticed participation of this thread has been declining (I blame myself for the lack of momentum), so maybe this will get people talking again.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
How many times are we allowed to send three guesses?   :D

I'm always talking (I just rarely say much).

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
Since everyone is clamoring for the bumped band, send me up to three guesses by PM.  I will tell you if one of them is right.  I have noticed participation of this thread has been declining (I blame myself for the lack of momentum), so maybe this will get people talking again.

Been too busy checking out all the awesome music to participate
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
15. Dan Swanö - Moontower

Genre: Melodic death metal
For fans of: people wanting to branch into death metal from progressive metal
What makes this special: Absolute game changer both for me personally and death metal in general.

Let's take a second to thank Ravenheart here.  He sent me a song off this album in the first round of my second roulette and I immediately had to have this album.  While I was familiar with melodic death metal before hearing this album, this album shows what melodic death metal can and should be.  Everything about this album is fantastic:  The music, which sees Dan play all the instruments, the vocals, the lyrical themes, everything.  Once again, I expect some of you to groan about the harsh vocals, but in this case they fit the music and themes.  One of the reasons I love this album so much is that despite the heaviness and growling, it is very obvious how personal the album is to Dan.  The songs on the album are about Dan's thoughts, dreams (nightmares), and personal issues, which give the album a depth that one not familiar with death metal might not expect.  Musically, it's a true work of art.  It's heavy, catchy, features great synth leads and guitar riffs, and captures the spirit of the work.  An album like this can really open people's minds about melodic death metal because this album is so much more than just a genre label.  It's thought provoking, musically intricate, and intensely emotional.  It's an album I challenge you all to at least listen to once regardless of your own taste.

Tracks to try: Patchworks, Uncreation, Add Reality
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 05:49:47 PM by Dr. DTVT »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I really want to try out this album, but I can't seem to buy it anywhere. It sounds very interesting and intriguing and having heard some of Swanö's other stuff, I really want this.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
yeah.. melodic death and melodic prog death deserve better attention than they get from this board.. That album rocks big time... and there are others who've been rocking my world....

3 guesses... mmm... ok that could be fun! I'm game.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 04:14:13 AM by obscure »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I seriously gotta check this album out.  Love Swano, Nightingale and Crimson 1 and 2 from Edge of Sanity are absolutely amazing.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll give it a try sometime, but you know me an' growlie's.  Love Swano's contributions to Star One.  As a part of an ensemble, I can appreciate.  Not sure where I'll stand when he's front and centre.  I suppose if I keep my expectations low, then there's a better chance of me liking it.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
I really want to try out this album, but I can't seem to buy it anywhere. It sounds very interesting and intriguing and having heard some of Swanö's other stuff, I really want this.

Yeah, it's been out of print for a while.  I had to buy the mp3 version on amazon, and I'm keeping my eye open eBay for a physical copy.

You must try it Chad.  You'll get over your growling issues eventually.  You to Nick.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Well, good doctor, most of the stuff that you have posted and that I have had a chance to listen to is pretty awesome. Still a little wary of death metal, even if it is melodic and I couldn't get into the vocals of Pagan's Mind, but the rest is pretty cool.

Oh, and just listening to The Scarecrow. Awesome stuff, the only thing that I knew beforehand though.  :metal

I'll probably be getting Eumeria or Vanishing Point sometime this week.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
MOONTOWER  :metal :metal :metal

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTVT's 50 Underappriciated bands v. Weird, but not too weird
« Reply #450 on: June 06, 2012, 08:15:21 PM »
14. Leprous - Tall Poppy Syndrome & Bilateral

Genre: Progressive metal, with a smattering of avant-garde metal
For fans of: eclectic music
What makes this special: They found a new direction in progressive metal and don't sound like clones of other bands

Leprous is another relatively recent discovery of mine, again aided by my roulette (Metty this time).  Their sound is really kind of their own.  Tall Poppy Syndrome is the more metal of the two albums, and Bilateral being the more experimental of the two, but both albums are worth checking out.  TPS has a much more frantic feel to it, and the reverb on the vocals is just right.  Their sound, while clearly progressive metal, has some avant-garde elements to it that gives their sound a nice edge to it, without being too weird for some people.  I find myself noticing something new to like about these albums with each listen, so there is a lot of music to be mined from this trove, and should keep your ears delighted for more listens than your average album.

Tracks to try:  He Will Kill Again, Tall Poppy Syndrome, White, Bilateral, Forced Entry, Thorn
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 05:50:03 PM by Dr. DTVT »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: June 06, 2012, 11:50:57 PM »
Never heard of this band.

Offline adace

« Reply #452 on: June 06, 2012, 11:52:56 PM »
I've only listened to Bilateralism and that was pretty enjoyable. I'll have to check this one out too.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #453 on: June 07, 2012, 02:51:07 AM »
Leprous are awesome. I'd definitely recommend them as well.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: June 07, 2012, 07:15:37 AM »
When I first picked up my first Leprous album.. I didn't listen to anything else... for at least for three weeks... well that's what happens when I get floored by a band... their sound is absolutely brilliant.. Einar's voice is so beautiful and I love his vocal style...  song-writing is amazing too.. good production .. and very accessible guys to fans as well... I can't think of anything bad about'em....