Author Topic: Dr. DTVT's 50 Underappriciated bands v. Better than the Loch Ness Monster  (Read 56569 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
All great albums but Whatever and Ever Amen is a masterpiece.  If you ever have a chance to get the DVD of them playing on Sessions at West 54th, a PBS show.  Do it.  You will not be disappointed.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
Hey not bad at all... I'm pretty sure my ears would look for some electro guitars pretty much in every song but I quite enjoyed some of those rec'd tracks...

Song For the Dumbed is really cool!

And for the fans of this genre, I'd also rec to check out Gowan.  another piano oriented rock project...

Criminal Mind

picks up at the 1:30 mark

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Love Gowan and he is killer in Styx now.  The new Styx Blu-Ray Concert is great.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
King of DVDs!  :laugh:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Hey not bad at all... I'm pretty sure my ears would look for some electro guitars pretty much in every song but I quite enjoyed some of those rec'd tracks...

Song For the Dumbed is really cool!

And for the fans of this genre, I'd also rec to check out Gowan.  another piano oriented rock project...

Criminal Mind

picks up at the 1:30 mark

Love me my 80s Gowan ... Larry Gowan that is, before he got all pompous and went by Laurence :lol.  I think this was the track I gave to Rich in his Roulette.  Strange Animal is a great album.  Great Dirty World has some nice memories for me.  One of the last albums I bought on vinyl.  If I listened to it today for the first time, not sure it would resonate with me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Unexpected but nice, I had a roommate in university that was really into Ben Folds Five.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
My friends bass teacher was in Ben Folds Five.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Yeah, that DVD is great, I have it. 

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
Unexpected but nice, I had a roommate in university that was really into Ben Folds Five.
My friends bass teacher was in Ben Folds Five.

After seeing these two posts back to back, I thought that Mason was gonna say 'I'm the Ben Folds Five'  :lol

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Actually, my brother-in-law is a spitting image of Ben Folds, particularly in the Battle of Who Could Care Less video.  My sister sees it as well, but he doesn't.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
bahahah that's close  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Ben Folds Five were huge in Australia and Ben actually resides here now in Adelaide.  Good band.  Never got any of their albums but all their hits I really enjoy.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
I guess I didn't explicitly say it, but some of my favorite BF5 songs aren't the hits he had, which was one of the big reasons I listed this band.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Sorry for not keeping up with this thread guys.  In two weeks I have my final defense, and on top of preparing for that, I am sending out job applications like crazy, cold calling professors at other schools looking for a post-doc position as a backup plan, and this morning I got a request to do a conference-call preliminary interview, so I anticipate more phone interviews and hopefully on-site interviews soon.  In addition too all of that, I have a potential buyer for my house so I have to start getting that ready as well.  I'm going to try to make it to 26 by the end of the week, call it halftime, and resume once things start to crystallize.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
:tup

Life, important.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
What the hell?!?!  Inexcusable.

Good luck on your final defense, it's not like most of us don't have 20+ new bands we can check out in the meantime thanks to you. :tup

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTVT's 50 Underappriciated bands v. Alduin
« Reply #297 on: April 10, 2012, 10:41:07 PM »
28.  Pendragon - Pure & Passion

Genre: Neo-prog
For fans of:  IQ, Marillion
What makes them unique:  These two albums (their two newest) might be best described as "new neo-prog" as their sound is more modern than what I associate neo-prog with.

If you followed Nick's top 50 list, you know he had two of their early albums in his list.  I don't own those, so I'll talk about the new albums.  When I think of neo-prog, I think of Fish era Marillion (my favorite era), so when I heard these albums, the first thing that really struck me was the guitar work.  It really keeps the sound from sounding dated in a bad way.  These albums are much more raw and aggressive than what I associate with neo-prog - it really comes across in all facets - and I really like it.  Aside from the guitar, the keyboards also deliver, which one would expect when Clive Nolan is involved.  The songwriting is also above reproach on these albums, both in terms of melody and lyrical content.  They are catchy and I've been caught on two occasions belting out choruses at my desk.  These are the only two albums of theirs I own, but that will change, don't worry Nick.

Tracks to try: Indigo, Eraserhead, The Freak Show, Passion, Empathy, This Green and Pleasant Land

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #298 on: April 10, 2012, 11:23:54 PM »
Gee whiz bud, think I'd like them? :P

Actually, I have heard a song or two, just haven't gotten around to digging deep into their stuff.  Didn't you send them to me in my roulette, or was that Jingle?

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 11:29:25 PM by lonestar »

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: April 11, 2012, 12:08:19 AM »
A cyber-friend who has a great grasp of my taste sent me 'This Green and Pleasant Land' some time ago... then I checked'em their other stuff out... good choice!!!  :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: April 11, 2012, 04:42:48 AM »
I picked up Pure on a whim at the record store about a year ago now.  I wanted to just buy something random and see how it goes.  Pure stuck out, and I instantly bought it.  It is simply one of the best prog alums I've ever listened to.  It has everything, I couldn't believe I picked this album up by random.  i still listen to it a lot.  Passion is great too, not as good as Pure but very, very solid.

Their older stuff is lighter and more Marillion style.  I'm slowly working my way back through their discography.  Great band, very underrated.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #301 on: April 11, 2012, 05:10:45 AM »
Gee whiz bud, think I'd like them? :P

Actually, I have heard a song or two, just haven't gotten around to digging deep into their stuff.  Didn't you send them to me in my roulette, or was that Jingle?

Don't think it was me.  But yes, i think youd love these guys RJ.  These are my two favorite albums by them for sure. awesome albums.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #302 on: April 11, 2012, 08:49:15 AM »
I hope you don't mind me asking this here, DTVT.  I'll delete it if you want.

I'm not big into new-prog, and Pendragon has never sounded like something I would want to order before so have ignored them for years.  However, DTVT's description of the latest two intrigues me, and the two songs I just sampled were interesting.  Is there anyone here that doesn't really like earlier Pendragon that can comment on these two albums?  Which is the most unlike earlier Pendragon?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: April 11, 2012, 09:00:45 AM »
I freely accept any discussion - positive or negative - about any choices.  I don't take it personally when someone doesn't like something, and I've been rather free-speaking in other peoples lists.  I'm all about informed customer decisions.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: April 11, 2012, 03:15:21 PM »
I hope you don't mind me asking this here, DTVT.  I'll delete it if you want.

I'm not big into new-prog, and Pendragon has never sounded like something I would want to order before so have ignored them for years.  However, DTVT's description of the latest two intrigues me, and the two songs I just sampled were interesting.  Is there anyone here that doesn't really like earlier Pendragon that can comment on these two albums?  Which is the most unlike earlier Pendragon?

Pure and Passion are totally different to their earlier material.  What songs have you heard before?

I think Believe is more towards this new direction, but I have that on order so I haven't heard it yet.  I like their older stuff, but I can totally see why people would only really prefer these two albums, they are completely different.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #305 on: April 11, 2012, 03:25:22 PM »
Don't remember, heard some of their stuff 5+ years ago and decided they weren't for me.  What you said is what I was interested in, I'll put one of these on my to buy queue.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: April 11, 2012, 03:28:17 PM »
Don't remember, heard some of their stuff 5+ years ago and decided they weren't for me.  What you said is what I was interested in, I'll put one of these on my to buy queue.

Get both of these, but make Pure top priority.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #307 on: April 11, 2012, 03:32:24 PM »
Everyone knows I love me some Pendragon. As far as the two newer albums go definitely go with Passion if you've heard neither.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: April 11, 2012, 04:04:51 PM »
Everyone knows I love me some Pendragon. As far as the two newer albums go definitely go with Passion if you've heard neither.

I can see that Passion may be easier for a new fan to get into, but for me Passion just simply doesn't compare to Pure.  I guess the conflicting opinions shows how strong both the albums are.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #309 on: April 11, 2012, 04:36:35 PM »

One at a time, I make sure to take time between buying albums from the same band.  I make fewer regretted purchases that way.

I'm more interested in the album that is stronger overall, especially if it is more unusual.  Which is the more challenging listen or more rewarding listen?  That appeals to me.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: April 11, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
My opinion on this might be skewed by the fact that I've been listening to Pure more lately, but it has more of that agression I referred to.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #311 on: April 11, 2012, 05:42:23 PM »
I'll definitely check out Pendragon some more. Tried them a year back or so and couldn't really grasp it then, but I'll try it again.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: April 11, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »

One at a time, I make sure to take time between buying albums from the same band.  I make fewer regretted purchases that way.

I'm more interested in the album that is stronger overall, especially if it is more unusual.  Which is the more challenging listen or more rewarding listen?  That appeals to me.

For me, Pure is the only answer.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #313 on: April 11, 2012, 06:41:43 PM »

And I'll still take Passion any day of the week.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: April 11, 2012, 07:38:32 PM »
Holy f%$&ing shit!!