Author Topic: Dr. DTVT's 50 Underappriciated bands v. Better than the Loch Ness Monster  (Read 56618 times)

Offline Ħ

"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Beowulf

Damn... I've only heard Zero Hour, and that's only because it was mentioned in another thread here!  But I can't wait to see what's next!
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
DTVT, you mind posting a link to your last.fm? I'm very curious to what I'd find there.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Eumeria's Rebel mind is awesome, thanks! Just listened to it for the first time on my way home, a very solid album indeed.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
I just got the Cynthesis album yesterday and this is my first listen impression:

It's not Zero Hour, but you can hear pieces of Zero Hour in there.  Definately more melodic, which is why someone (yorost?) said they sound "normal".  Eric Sunvold sounds a lot better than he did on Towers of Avarice.  Pretty decent if you detach expectations of hearing a Zero Hour type of sound.  People who don't like ZH would probably enjoy this.

Thanks for the review and the clarification.

Too many freaking bands around spinning in my head that I need to do something about.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Eumeria's Rebel mind is awesome, thanks! Just listened to it for the first time on my way home, a very solid album indeed.

I should receive my copy next week, along with Zero Hour!!  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Rebel Mind is out on Grooveshark while you wait - https://grooveshark.com/album/Rebel+Mind/7109867
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll have a listen to that later.  I've checked out another song or two on youtube also, sounds like a killer cd.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
41.  The Tangent - The Music That Died Alone, The World That We Drive Through, A Place In The Queue

Genre:  70s style prog
For fans of:  ELP, Yes
What makes them unique:  Modern take on 70s prog, with Canterberry twinges.  Excellent use of brass and woodwinds.

This is a band that started out great, with their first three albums (the three mentioned) showing the band had a fresh take on 70s style prog and I felt they really could have spearheaded a revival.  But alas, constant lineup changes have plagued what started out as a side project, leading to a steady decline in the last three albums comnpared to their first three.  However, that shouldn't discourage you from checking out their work. 

The Music That Died Alone was a real eye-opener when I heard it for the first time in 2004.  I am admitted not as knowledgeable about 70s prog as I should be, so their first album was a great breath of fresh air in my catalog.  The first song, "In Darkest Dreams" lets you know from the get go you are going to have a colorful musical journey.  Yes, colorful is about the best word I could use to describe this song.  "The Canterberry Sequence" harkens to Canterberry prog, a style they touch on in each album.

The World That We Drive Through is compromised of six long songs (assuming you buy the special edition, and why wouldn't you) that showcase a mixture of writing styles, but still showcase a well paced sound that is has an airy quality that allows the music to breathe and not overwhelm the ears with a barrage of sounds.  This is the ideal album to just lay down in a dark room and relax with.

A Place in the Queue sees them start to experiment with a busier sound and less of the brass and woodwinds that I adore from the first two albums, and also move into songs with a political bend or social commentary.  That said, there is still a lot I love on this album, as the longer songs dominate the album in terms of both quality and quantity.  While I don't think this band will generate as much universal appeal as Eumeria seems to be getting, there are some people here that I think would really dig this band.

Tracks to try: (Warning:  They're all pretty long) In Darkest Dreams, The Music That Died Alone, Photosynthesis, A Gap in the Night, In Earnest, G.P.S. Culture

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Fucking Hell yes on the Tangent.  Their first two albums are absolutely stunning.  I didn't like them as much after that, won't even recommend the third unless someone already has the first two.

Offline Ħ

Okay there's a band I've at least heard of.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
I really could have included all the songs on The World We Drive Through, that album is near perfect.

Offline Ħ

I think I listened to The Music That Died Alone. I remember not liking it much.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
You make me cry inside. :'(

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Doing pretty well, Mason, can you list the bands you've mentioned so far?

And The Tangent has lots of great stuff.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks Nick.  I'll repost the list every 10 bands.

50. Pinnacle
49. Zero Hour
48. Turisas
47. Eumeria
46. It Bites
45. Kaddisfly
44. Eternity X
43. Vonassi
42. Worlds
41. The Tangent

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
The Tangent is good.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
I will probably have to check out 41. I love the Canterbury scene.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm familiar with the band, but have never checked them out or even heard any of their music.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I feel so full of fail and shame.  H knows a band that I don't.

1 for 10 so far, although I know my batting average is on the rise.  Revised estimates - will know 18; will own 12.

Can't wait until after my roulette so I can actually go out and get some of these.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Everyone also needs to listen to album number 42.  ;)

More songs here:  https://www.myspace.com/worldskarma
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
6 out of 10 so far.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline senecadawg2

Great list so far. I'm especially pleased with Eumeria, Eternity X, and The Tangent. I haven't listened too much to the others yet though..
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
I haven't heard the tangent but at least I have heard of them

1-8 Fuck Yeah
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I haven't heard the tangent but at least I have heard of them

1-8 Fuck Yeah

Counting ... you suck at it.   :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
So far, I've heard of 3 (It Bites, Kaddisfly, and The Tangent), and heard 1 (Kaddisfly).
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
I have heard of The Tangent, so let's call it 1-9.  Yes!!!  Not a Total Fucking Loser anymore!!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I have heard of The Tangent, so let's call it 1-9.  Yes!!!  Not a Total Fucking Loser anymore!!!

I'm 3-7 right now.  I need to check out the other 7.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
40.  Circle II Circle - Watching in Silence, The Middle of Nowhere, Burden of Truth

Genre: Prog metal with some power metal tendencies
For fans of: Later Savatage
What makes them special:  They sound just different enough from Savatage to keep you from writing them off as the follow up to Savatage

Circle II Circle started with Zach Stevens (the vocalist on Edge of Thorns -> Wake of Magellan) and originally assisted by Jon Oliva and Chirs Cafferty on the first album, but has the band has just been Zach and his band, forging their own sound.  While they do have some power metal tendencies in their sound, they lack the cheesy lyrics that some people are turned off by.  Even the two albums not mentioned are good, I'm just limiting myself to three albums per artist, as I'm sure you don't have an infinite amount of money to spend right now.  Watching In Silence is the most Savatage like album; but my favorite album is Burden of Truth, which ironically is the first album Jon Oliva didn't have a hand in, which contains most of my favorite Circle II Circle songs.  Much like TSO is a new and different extension of Savatage, Circle II Circle can also be thought of as a different extension of Savatage, just without the commercial appeal.

Tracks to try:  Out of Reach, Into the Wind, Holding On, The Middle of Nowhere, Heal You*, Live As One

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I gave C II C a try a while ago (Delusions of Grandeur), but the vocals were just not something I could stand at all.  Watching in Silence was better, but still didn't wow me.  Got them on my radar... but very far down the line.  Middle of Nowhere and Burden of Truth are worth giving a chance to I guess?

Offline senecadawg2

Hmm... Just listening to Watching in Silence right now. It's not bad, but maybe not my cup of tea. Then again, I'm not too big a fan of power metal.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Alright, here's a band that a household name for me.  Absolutely fantastic band, really love all 5 of their albums.  I've been digging the last one, Consequence of Power a lot, but as Mason said, Burden of Truth is absolute perfection, best C2C album by far.  Also, the guitar work is stellar in this band.

I gave C II C a try a while ago (Delusions of Grandeur), but the vocals were just not something I could stand at all.  Watching in Silence was better, but still didn't wow me.  Got them on my radar... but very far down the line.  Middle of Nowhere and Burden of Truth are worth giving a chance to I guess?

Chad, get Burden of Truth.  Delusions is good but the production kills it, it could have been amazing but otherwise, it's just solid.  The debut is good and is the album that's most like Savatage, I prefer the later albums.  Burden of Truth should be right up your alley.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Alright, their back higher up on the "check-it-out" list.