Author Topic: Zantera's Top 50 Albums v.2.0 (Finished)  (Read 14383 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Zantera's Top 50 Albums v.2.0 (2)
« Reply #140 on: August 22, 2013, 04:42:33 AM »
Well, other people have lists they want to do as well, and there's no reason for me to drag it out. :) I can spare 30 minutes per day on write-ups and so on. This ends tonight!

2. The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (1995)

Genre: Alternative Rock

At number two, here is "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" by The Smashing Pumpkins. It's not easy to make an incredible double album, but there are some who pull it off magnificently, and there have been a few others already on my list, and Mellon Collie is another one. The album feels very fresh because it has a lot of variety in the songwriting, and there are a few songs that are almost progressive, there's also shorter songs that are really heavy, but also a lot of calmer songs as well. The album has many of the band's biggest hit-songs, such as: "Tonight Tonight", "Zero", "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" and "1979", but apart from those obvious hit-songs, I've always appreciated the more 'underrated' songs in a band's category, no matter the band. The hit-songs are often very straight forward in how good they are, and while all these songs I mentioned are fantastic songs, I feel like the true highlights on the album are some of the other songs. The Smashing Pumpkins is mainly alternative rock, though Billy Corgan as a songwriter likes to try out new things, and as a result, you get a two hour album that spans across many genres.

The album starts off with the classic album-theme of Mellon Collie, which leads into "Tonight Tonight" perfectly. With the beautiful use of strings, that song is one of their best hits without a doubt. It's catchy, has great melodies and is just a strong song overall. "Zero" is another classic that has one of the heavier riffs in the band's discography, and it will rock you. While the first half/two thirds of the first disc is really good, I feel like the last third is the big highlight for me. "Cupid De Locke" is a beautiful short little tune with dreamy guitars and melodies, and the kind of song that makes me dream of an island out at sea, somewhere in the pacific. "Porcelina of the Vast Oceans" is my biggest highlight of the first disc. It clocks in at almost 9 ½ minutes and is one of the more progressive songs on the album. With an amazing main riff and chorus "Without a care in this whole world" the song has a really solid foundation. Overall it's a fairly calm song that escalates towards the chorus, but it's just a fantastic and well crafted song, and one of my favorite Pumpkins-songs.

The second disc however is my favorite. It opens with "Where Boys Fear to Tread" which has one of the grooviest riffs in their discography. While they might have riffs that are technically heavier, the groove of this "main"-riff results in that it sounds so heavy. An amazing way of opening the second disc for sure. "1979" is another hit song from the first half of the disc, and I can see why it's such a classic, it's a really amazing song. We soon get to one of my favorite songs on the album, and one of their best songs overall: "Thru the Eyes of a Ruby". The song is over 7 ½ minutes, starts off with a calm piano melody, but soon builds up to the main melody of the song. It's an incredible song, and again, has a little bit of progressive ideas going on. Amazing strong chorus, great melodies and strong verses. "X.Y.U" is another favorite that clocks in at over 7 minutes. I would say this is their heaviest song. It's so groovy, and the main-riff (and the way it is repeated is just amazing), and how it builds up during the song is incredible. Very intense, heavy and how Billy's vocals change during the song is interesting as well. He starts off singing it pretty normally, but by the end when it goes into crazy-mode, he just screams his lungs out. The ending takes it down in tempo but becomes even heavier, and that bass is thick enough to break down walls with. The last song, "Farewell and Goodnight" is probably my favorite song on the album though. It's very easy and simple, with an acoustic guitar and vocals being almost the only thing going on. The whole band sings a few lines each, and it gives you that image of the band sitting around a campfire and just playing the song. While James Iha sings on a few songs in the band's catalog, it's really nice to get to hear D'arcy and Jimmy sing some vocals as well. It's a really emotional, beautiful and sweet ballad, and the simplicity of the song works in it's favor. The song ends with the same piano-theme that opened the album up.

Overall I must say that this is very very close to actually being my number 1. I would consider Smashing Pumpkins to be my favorite -active- band, and this album is their biggest masterpiece for me. If you are into rock music, I highly recommend this album. Even if alternative rock is not your main genre you're interested in, this album has something for everyone musically.

Favorite songs: Thru the Eyes of a Ruby, Farewell and Goodnight, X.Y.U, Where Boys Fear to Tread, 1979, Porcelina and the Vast Oceans, Tonight Tonight,  Cupid De Locke, Muzzle, Love.

Number 1 will be posted tonight!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Zantera's Top 50 Albums v.2.0 (Top3)
« Reply #141 on: August 22, 2013, 05:35:15 AM »
Best Smashing Pumpkins album. No contest.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #142 on: August 22, 2013, 05:44:30 AM »
Everyone seems to rave about Sleep. Storm is where it's at.
Sleep and Storm seem to be the two runaway favourites. Storm was mine at first, but Sleep slowly overtook it.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #143 on: August 22, 2013, 05:47:51 AM »
Can't get too into this band for some reason. I should give them another chance sometime.

Everyone seems to rave about Sleep. Storm is where it's at.
Sleep and Storm seem to be the two runaway favourites. Storm was mine at first, but Sleep slowly overtook it.
Same for me.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #144 on: August 22, 2013, 05:48:37 AM »
F#A#Inf > Lift Yr. But seriously, both are absolutely fantastic. I like the diversity in your list and especially in the top 10, though I can't really say I enjoy every single album in there. Also, everyone knows what #1 is going to be :biggrin:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: Zantera's Top 50 Albums v.2.0 (Top10)
« Reply #145 on: August 22, 2013, 05:49:41 AM »
Well I still am predicting F***** from *******z*  :biggrin: (Censored cause nobody likes spoilers. And yes Zantera,I looked at your Last.Fm at times to decide which bands to get into.  :rollin)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: August 22, 2013, 05:51:28 AM »
Mellon Collie to me is one of the weakest Smashing Pumpkins release. It had maybe one disc's worth of memorable songs.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: August 22, 2013, 06:10:39 AM »
Siamese Dream is my favourite. Mellon Collie is good too though.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #148 on: August 22, 2013, 07:09:09 AM »
I'm trying Converge once again and while a couple of songs is alright, a whole album full of that stuff is too much for me.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #149 on: August 22, 2013, 08:22:38 AM »
Try listening to it when you're pissed right off. It helps imo. :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #150 on: August 22, 2013, 10:03:44 AM »
I'm trying Converge once again and while a couple of songs is alright, a whole album full of that stuff is too much for me.

Same for me. It's incredibly overwhelming.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Zantera's Top 50 Albums v.2.0 (1)
« Reply #151 on: August 22, 2013, 11:57:37 AM »
I think Jane Doe can be a tricky album to start with as it is pretty extreme, but you might have more luck with any of their other albums, like All We Love We Leave Behind, Axe to Fall or You Fail Me. Overall I consider them to be one of my favorite bands, and they have many really strong albums, so might be worth checking out the others.

Also, I would like to thank everyone for following the list and posting comments. Hopefully someone will find some new music they like through the list. I won't drag this out too long, most of you probably already knew it, but here it is:

1. Oceansize - Frames (2007)

Genre: Progressive Rock/Post-Rock/Art Rock

I remember the first time I heard this album, and Oceansize in general. This was back when I was a prog snob and quite a douche, and I quickly dismissed the band as being a "poor man's porcupine tree". Oh boy, if anyone ever invents a way to travel back in time, I would punch my younger self in the face.  :lol This was back in 2008 I believe. But 2 years later the band released a new album, "Self Preserved..." which I checked out, and fell in love with. I checked out the previous albums but left Frames until last, because I remembered not being too crazy about it from the earlier experience, and I was afraid that if I went back, I would still dislike it. After slowly giving the other albums time and falling in love with everything the band had made, it was obviously inevitable to avoid Frames for much longer. I loved the other three albums so much, and maybe this would be that one album that just wasn't as good as the rest. I finally sat down to listen to it again, and boy oh boy was I blown away by it. It was like a final piece of a puzzle, and everything just sort of made sense all of a sudden.

I think what makes Oceansize my favorite band is their unique sound, and how well they balance certain elements from genres. They have progressive elements in their music, they have post-rock elements in their music, and everything from alternative rock to metal thrown into the mix. Their balance of these genres is just a perfect hit for me, and the music appeals to me on many different levels. Some songs are rocking, others are beautifully constructed with some of my favorite music sound landscapes ever made. It's the diversity and the ability to make songs that sounds very different to each other, but in the whole picture they make sense. Frames for me is the band's best album, because it has all the best elements of the band, and even though the other three albums (and the EPs) are incredible as well, this one just stands above them.

The opening-song, "Commemorative 9/11 T-Shirt" is possibly the most progressive song on the album. The rhythm of the intro/main-riff is really sweet, and the song opens up the album in a fantastic way. An incredible song, and it fades into the second song, "Unfamiliar" in a perfect way. This one is a bit shorter, but has a lot of changes and different ideas for a 6 ½ minute song, and it keeps you interested throughout. The third song, "Trail of Fire" is one of the big highlights on the album. With a piano-line that is incredibly beautiful, the song also goes through many different phases and changes, and has a very "natural" way of progressing as a song. The fourth song is another favorite of mine, "Savant". It's a beautiful song filled with emotions, and has an amazing string arrangement towards the end. One song that some people tend to like less than the others is "Sleeping Dogs and Dead Lions", but I love that song to bits. It's the heaviest song on the album and has an almost Meshuggah-sounding riff and a pretty intense chorus/heavy part. To me, it's a song that works perfectly on the place it has on the album, and the way it leads into the last song, "The Frame" is awesome. The Frame is another favorite of mine, and has some incredible lyrics, and is just an emotional journey overall. A lot of really memorable lines like "I am not the picture now, I am the frame" and "Time won't change a thing when I'm gone".

Overall just an incredible album, and every song has it's own special place in my heart. But I guess you already knew that.  :hat

Favorite songs: The Frame, Savant, Trail of Fire, Unfamiliar, Commemorative 9/11 T-Shirt, Only Twin, An Old Friend of the Christy's, Sleeping Dogs and Dead Lions and Voorhees if you have the special edition. (that's all of them!)

So yeah, thanks for following. Was fun.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: Zantera's Top 50 Albums v.2.0 (Finished)
« Reply #152 on: August 22, 2013, 12:02:34 PM »
Great album. Only song that I don't like is the Nu-Metal song.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
Re: Zantera's Top 50 Albums v.2.0 (2)
« Reply #153 on: August 22, 2013, 12:40:05 PM »
Well, other people have lists they want to do as well, and there's no reason for me to drag it out. :) I can spare 30 minutes per day on write-ups and so on. This ends tonight!

2. The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (1995)

Genre: Alternative Rock

At number two, here is "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" by The Smashing Pumpkins. It's not easy to make an incredible double album, but there are some who pull it off magnificently, and there have been a few others already on my list, and Mellon Collie is another one. The album feels very fresh because it has a lot of variety in the songwriting, and there are a few songs that are almost progressive, there's also shorter songs that are really heavy, but also a lot of calmer songs as well. The album has many of the band's biggest hit-songs, such as: "Tonight Tonight", "Zero", "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" and "1979", but apart from those obvious hit-songs, I've always appreciated the more 'underrated' songs in a band's category, no matter the band. The hit-songs are often very straight forward in how good they are, and while all these songs I mentioned are fantastic songs, I feel like the true highlights on the album are some of the other songs. The Smashing Pumpkins is mainly alternative rock, though Billy Corgan as a songwriter likes to try out new things, and as a result, you get a two hour album that spans across many genres.

The album starts off with the classic album-theme of Mellon Collie, which leads into "Tonight Tonight" perfectly. With the beautiful use of strings, that song is one of their best hits without a doubt. It's catchy, has great melodies and is just a strong song overall. "Zero" is another classic that has one of the heavier riffs in the band's discography, and it will rock you. While the first half/two thirds of the first disc is really good, I feel like the last third is the big highlight for me. "Cupid De Locke" is a beautiful short little tune with dreamy guitars and melodies, and the kind of song that makes me dream of an island out at sea, somewhere in the pacific. "Porcelina of the Vast Oceans" is my biggest highlight of the first disc. It clocks in at almost 9 ½ minutes and is one of the more progressive songs on the album. With an amazing main riff and chorus "Without a care in this whole world" the song has a really solid foundation. Overall it's a fairly calm song that escalates towards the chorus, but it's just a fantastic and well crafted song, and one of my favorite Pumpkins-songs.

The second disc however is my favorite. It opens with "Where Boys Fear to Tread" which has one of the grooviest riffs in their discography. While they might have riffs that are technically heavier, the groove of this "main"-riff results in that it sounds so heavy. An amazing way of opening the second disc for sure. "1979" is another hit song from the first half of the disc, and I can see why it's such a classic, it's a really amazing song. We soon get to one of my favorite songs on the album, and one of their best songs overall: "Thru the Eyes of a Ruby". The song is over 7 ½ minutes, starts off with a calm piano melody, but soon builds up to the main melody of the song. It's an incredible song, and again, has a little bit of progressive ideas going on. Amazing strong chorus, great melodies and strong verses. "X.Y.U" is another favorite that clocks in at over 7 minutes. I would say this is their heaviest song. It's so groovy, and the main-riff (and the way it is repeated is just amazing), and how it builds up during the song is incredible. Very intense, heavy and how Billy's vocals change during the song is interesting as well. He starts off singing it pretty normally, but by the end when it goes into crazy-mode, he just screams his lungs out. The ending takes it down in tempo but becomes even heavier, and that bass is thick enough to break down walls with. The last song, "Farewell and Goodnight" is probably my favorite song on the album though. It's very easy and simple, with an acoustic guitar and vocals being almost the only thing going on. The whole band sings a few lines each, and it gives you that image of the band sitting around a campfire and just playing the song. While James Iha sings on a few songs in the band's catalog, it's really nice to get to hear D'arcy and Jimmy sing some vocals as well. It's a really emotional, beautiful and sweet ballad, and the simplicity of the song works in it's favor. The song ends with the same piano-theme that opened the album up.

Overall I must say that this is very very close to actually being my number 1. I would consider Smashing Pumpkins to be my favorite -active- band, and this album is their biggest masterpiece for me. If you are into rock music, I highly recommend this album. Even if alternative rock is not your main genre you're interested in, this album has something for everyone musically.

Favorite songs: Thru the Eyes of a Ruby, Farewell and Goodnight, X.Y.U, Where Boys Fear to Tread, 1979, Porcelina and the Vast Oceans, Tonight Tonight,  Cupid De Locke, Muzzle, Love.

Number 1 will be posted tonight!

Zantera, your list rocks of course! I love so much in your top 50. You did a much better job of describing the awesomeness of Mellon Collie than I did (I had to give in and find someone else's words because the album is so overwhlemingly wonderful to me). Great stuff!  :hefdaddy

Offline adace

« Reply #154 on: August 22, 2013, 02:46:03 PM »
Great finish to your list! I really enjoyed reading it. :tup

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #155 on: August 22, 2013, 02:56:55 PM »
Awesome list, sir.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: August 22, 2013, 03:28:28 PM »
Great list! Working my way through listening to anything I haven't heard already.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #157 on: August 22, 2013, 06:55:57 PM »
Zantera, has the direct (and indirect?) influence of Friday the 13th the motion picture ever meant much to your appreciation for Frames? I seem to always think about that movie and the whole F13 movie series (originals, not the remakes) seem to come into my head when I listen to Frames.

I remember when Frames was released, there were a few people on the Oceansize fans forum who were tracing not only An Old Friend of the Christie's and Voorhees (the bonus track), but the whole record being based on Friday the 13th. I often imagine a scene from F13 Part 2, with that cop running through the woods while listening to the "Sleeping Dogs with Dead Lions" specifically that Meshuggah-like riff.

I dunno, I have always got some kind of cinematic element when listening to Frames. It may seem a bit obsessive/too-much-time-on-my-hands, but I've actually been curious to try watching Friday the 13th with the sound off/subtitles-on and Frames just to see if anything syncs up. I wouldn't be surprised.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #158 on: August 22, 2013, 08:09:31 PM »
Have you heard the vinyl playlist of Mellon Collie? It makes the album miles ahead of the CD release since the songs are grouped in a very specific order.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #159 on: August 22, 2013, 11:18:01 PM »
Really enjoyed this list. I discovered a bunch of new artists and it inspired me to listen to others whose names were familair to me. I've been super busy but I plan on listening to a handful of the albums that are unfamiliar to me sometime soon.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: August 23, 2013, 02:15:25 AM »
@SoundscapeMN - I have actually only seen the original (a long time ago) and the remake that came out a few years ago, and Freddy vs Jason if that one counts. But after reading your post I should probably watch the other Friday the 13th movies as well, and see if I notice any connections. :P

@orcus116 - I haven't actually. I do own Mellon Collie on vinyl, but it's the newly released one that came out recently, and that one has the same tracklisting as the CD I believe. Should probably check the alternative track listing out though.

To everyone else, great that you enjoyed the list, and hopefully found something cool. :)