Author Topic: Top 50 Albums of Chaos - #1 Revealed.  (Read 26428 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Top 50 Albums of Chaos - #1 Revealed.
« Reply #245 on: August 14, 2013, 05:42:05 AM »
Great list and a nice finish DOC!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #246 on: August 14, 2013, 12:39:14 PM »
I'm wondering how someone with your tastes doesn't have a Fates Warning album.  I can't imagine Parallels not being a home run for you.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: August 14, 2013, 01:25:30 PM »
Fun list. Thanks for the work!

On the subject of Systematic Chaos: When it came out I absolutely loved everything about it. It was so refreshing after the disappointment I felt toward Octavarium. I rocked out to the entire album non-stop for months. Not long after their tour started DT cancelled a concert in my town and I started frequenting MP.com to commiserate and be around other fans.

Wow, was I surprised to find out that not only was I supposed to hate nearly everything about SC I was completely daft for having Ministry of Lost Souls as my favorite. If I found myself singing along with the fictional story based lyrics I should consider myself the meanest of rust plagued anchors dragging down the very notion of Dream Theater's nobility. The prevailing attitude from the majority of self-proclaimed 'DT's biggest fans' was shocking. Needless to say, I've had a hard time un-reading these opinions and they have forever tainted my enjoyment of the record. Slightly. I'm not proud of being influenced by others, so...

I applaud your list proudly placing music where you feel it should be. At the time of its release I would have placed SC in exactly the same place you have it now.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #248 on: August 14, 2013, 01:31:45 PM »
Such a great album.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #249 on: August 14, 2013, 01:38:58 PM »
Podaar... I hear what you mean about the chastising you got vis-a-vis MOLS.  I recall the same given my love of Prophets of War.  I remember people here  ::) at how they were envisioning chicks shaking their booty at dance clubs to PoW.  Frankly, I absolutely love the riff in it, don't mind the political nature of JLB's lyrics, and it's one of my fav's off the album.  I too like MOLS.  SC gets more hate than it deserves.  My only dislike of it is TDEN and The Reckoning.  Otherwise, the rest of it is pretty solid.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #250 on: August 14, 2013, 01:39:58 PM »
Podaar... I hear what you mean about the chastising you got vis-a-vis MOLS.  I recall the same given my love of Prophets of War.  I remember people here  ::) at how they were envisioning chicks shaking their booty at dance clubs to PoW. Frankly, I absolutely love the riff in it, don't mind the political nature of JLB's lyrics, and it's one of my fav's off the album.  I too like MOLS.  SC gets more hate than it deserves.  My only dislike of it is TDEN and The Reckoning.  Otherwise, the rest of it is pretty solid.

I don't see how this could possibly be a bad thing. :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: August 14, 2013, 01:58:40 PM »
Whenever I will look up a new prog band that I have yet to listen to, I will come to this list and pick something from here. Amazing list!

Thank you!

Fun list. Thanks for the work!

On the subject of Systematic Chaos: When it came out I absolutely loved everything about it. It was so refreshing after the disappointment I felt toward Octavarium. I rocked out to the entire album non-stop for months. Not long after their tour started DT cancelled a concert in my town and I started frequenting MP.com to commiserate and be around other fans.

Wow, was I surprised to find out that not only was I supposed to hate nearly everything about SC I was completely daft for having Ministry of Lost Souls as my favorite. If I found myself singing along with the fictional story based lyrics I should consider myself the meanest of rust plagued anchors dragging down the very notion of Dream Theater's nobility. The prevailing attitude from the majority of self-proclaimed 'DT's biggest fans' was shocking. Needless to say, I've had a hard time un-reading these opinions and they have forever tainted my enjoyment of the record. Slightly. I'm not proud of being influenced by others, so...

I applaud your list proudly placing music where you feel it should be. At the time of its release I would have placed SC in exactly the same place you have it now.

I know what it's like to have people trying to influence how you enjoy something. Just don't let them and rock on  :metal

Thanks again everyone!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #252 on: August 14, 2013, 02:00:56 PM »
Podaar... I hear what you mean about the chastising you got vis-a-vis MOLS.  I recall the same given my love of Prophets of War.  I remember people here  ::) at how they were envisioning chicks shaking their booty at dance clubs to PoW.  Frankly, I absolutely love the riff in it, don't mind the political nature of JLB's lyrics, and it's one of my fav's off the album.  I too like MOLS.  SC gets more hate than it deserves.  My only dislike of it is TDEN and The Reckoning.  Otherwise, the rest of it is pretty solid.
I love POW too.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #253 on: August 14, 2013, 07:04:19 PM »
MOLS is on the whole a good song, but it is only the addition of an unnecessary instrumental section keeping it from being a great song. I love the atmosphere JR's keys bring to it and JP's thematic guitar line is also very unique and cool, it's just that damn instrumental that rips you out of the moment and leaves you with a bad taste imho.

POW is pretty solid, not really any complaints there.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #254 on: August 14, 2013, 11:34:34 PM »
I don't see how TMOLS' instrumental section is unnecessary or out of place :huh:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #255 on: August 15, 2013, 08:57:58 AM »
Me neither.  It's the usual instrumental wankery we know (and usually love) from DT.  Frankly, I think the song structure of TMOLS is pretty unique - ballad-like for the first 1/2; raging instrumental; return to mellow; guitar outro. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #256 on: August 15, 2013, 09:07:41 AM »
I love Prophets of War.

On the other hand, basically I see a lot of criticisms about DT's longer songs and generally don't agree with them... except for Ministry, in which case I find them to be doubly valid.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1