Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 308325 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #3500 on: September 06, 2013, 01:30:08 PM »
Not a bad song, but not exactly a fave, either.  I prefer Elton's mellower stuff.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3501 on: September 06, 2013, 02:03:11 PM »
Not a bad song, but not exactly a fave, either.  I prefer Elton's mellower stuff.

It's not every day that you can use the exact same post for two different threads!  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3502 on: September 06, 2013, 02:10:51 PM »

(yeah, I figured you'd probably catch that)

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #3503 on: September 06, 2013, 02:32:43 PM »
Ha, at first I thought it was a mis-post.  Nice one.

I enjoy this song.  It has a funky groove.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3504 on: September 06, 2013, 03:05:27 PM »
I literally copied and pasted my response from the other thread when I realized that I felt exactly the same way about both songs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3505 on: September 07, 2013, 10:10:33 AM »
Asia - Only Time Will Tell

I preferred this song to Heat of the Moment back when I was 9 :lol, but for some reason the video didn't resonate with me.  In fact, I saw it recently and had zero recollection of it (unlike Heat of the Moment, which I remember very well).  Weird.  But seeing the video made me realize now how awful some of those edits were.  A line here, a line there, was taken out to make it more single-friendly, but being so used to the regular version now, the single edit sounded like a mess.  But anyway, this is still a very good tune from an album that is pretty damn good from start to finish.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3506 on: September 10, 2013, 10:24:21 AM »
No Asia chatter? ???

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3507 on: September 10, 2013, 10:28:23 AM »
Steve Howe and chick doing ballet over TV's are not a good fit. :lol  Always liked the song and album.  While there are better songs on the self titled album, this is a very good tune.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3508 on: September 10, 2013, 10:36:46 AM »
No Asia chatter? ???

I started my usual rant about how Asia was a major disappointment, the first prog supergroup turned out to be another powerpop project, blah blah blah, and how because of this I've never really been able to objectively listen to Asia, but I figured no one would even get to that part because the rant is the same one I know I've posted a few times.

Then I started a story about how we actually used to play this song in the band I was in, and our lead singer plays trumpet, so we did the fanfare and the break with a real trumpet, which was cool.  Then I realized that that was just a story and I still had nothing to say about the song itself (for the above mentioned reasons).

So I just didn't post anything.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3509 on: September 10, 2013, 11:53:07 AM »
Fair enough. :lol :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3510 on: September 11, 2013, 11:21:25 AM »
Prince and The Revolution - Kiss

I never got the fascination with the song at all.  Sure, it's got a great dance groove, but the way he sings in that super high voice doesn't do squat for me.  But girls were absolutely bananas over this song, and if you play this song at a club or bar anywhere, girls still go crazy for it.  So, it's not a total loss... :lol :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3511 on: September 11, 2013, 12:17:34 PM »
I wasn't a fan of the song when it first came out. When I witnessed what the song does to my wife I became a huge fan!

Well, maybe not huge...but bigger.

Okay, it's only big to me. But, yes, I love this song now!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #3512 on: September 12, 2013, 03:02:31 PM »
The Asia song is interesting because it was a single version that was just different enough from the album version-a couple of instrumental sections are actually swapped-that to this day the album version makes me turn my head sideways, barely realizing why I am.

The video for Kiss is MADE by Wendy, who sits on her stool playing guitar and barely manages throughout the entire video to not laugh her ass off at Prince's hijinxs. One wonders what the outtakes looked like.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3513 on: September 12, 2013, 06:05:58 PM »
Kiss is pretty cool, and you really need to listen to the extended version to get the full effect.

I'm not all that crazy about that Elton song. It's okay, but nothing special for me 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3514 on: September 12, 2013, 06:08:57 PM »
Good tune but not one I would gravitate from his collection
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3515 on: September 15, 2013, 08:40:40 AM »
Bon Jovi - Born to Be My Baby

This was the other song from New Jersey that I liked a lot (the previously-featured Lay Yours Hands on Me being the other).  Very catchy chorus and a nice 80s-sounding tune.  I enjoyed the parts of the video back in the day where it sounded like they were having trouble with takes.  It gave it that "the video was recorded while recording the song" feel, even if it was probably manufactured. :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3516 on: September 15, 2013, 08:43:12 AM »
One of my favourites off New Jersey. Such a nice big '80s pre-chorus.

Never seen the video though. Off to the Youtube!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #3517 on: September 15, 2013, 08:48:26 AM »
Having already told my story about how the album New Jersey was responsible for ending a teenaged relationship WAY down thread, I have nothing to offer for this song.  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3518 on: September 15, 2013, 08:50:52 AM »
:lol That's disappointing.  >:(  :biggrin:

As for the video again, all I knew was the video version at first, and when I finally heard the real version, I remember being disappointed that the guitar fill at 1:17 of the video was not in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahf2B_eZUc4

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3519 on: September 15, 2013, 08:53:02 AM »
My favorite BJ song. (Mmmmn, I guess to get BJ's as well?! :lol)

But seriously I love this tune and I loved the video with the separation of each instrument.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3520 on: September 17, 2013, 08:29:40 AM »
New Edition - Cool It Now

I had completely forgotten about this song until several weeks ago when I saw it on Totally 80s.  I wish I could return to when I had forgotten about it. :lol  What an awful, awful song.  The 80s are the butt of a lot of jokes for a lot of people, and stupid ass songs like this do not help the cause for those of us who generally like 80s music.  Awful song.  Just awful.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #3521 on: September 17, 2013, 08:31:10 AM »
*cites either the No Story, It Sucks rule, or the Debra BLECCHHHHHH clause, as his comment*

:lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3522 on: September 17, 2013, 08:41:20 AM »
Bon Jovi - Born to Be My Baby

Fave tune from New Jersey.  Otherwise it was a pretty bland album for me.

New Edition - Cool It Now

I had completely forgotten about this song

Thankfully, I still forget it.  Guess this is the token song every few pages where we get to release our pent up hatred of some of the 80s shit we had to endure?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3523 on: September 18, 2013, 10:27:37 AM »
Suzanne Vega - Luka

I never got the fascination with this song.  It's just so bland and boring.  But somehow was hugely popular.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3524 on: September 18, 2013, 11:11:42 AM »
It was the social message, the content, more than the song itself.  It took maybe two or three listens, but once you figure out what she's saying, it's kinda powerful, and this was one of the first pop songs to address the topic.  That's why it was popular.

Also, it's slightly catchy.  Not a lot, but a little.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3525 on: September 18, 2013, 02:29:48 PM »
Prince and The Revolution - Kiss

I never got the fascination with the song at all.  Sure, it's got a great dance groove, but the way he sings in that super high voice doesn't do squat for me.  But girls were absolutely bananas over this song, and if you play this song at a club or bar anywhere, girls still go crazy for it.  So, it's not a total loss... :lol :lol

I like the Tom Jones / Art of Noise version better.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3526 on: September 18, 2013, 02:41:30 PM »
So do I.  It's not unusual.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3527 on: September 18, 2013, 04:19:18 PM »
Suzanne Vega - Luka

I never got the fascination with this song.  It's just so bland and boring.  But somehow was hugely popular.

I have a friend who loves her but I was never a fan of her singing.  The same goes for Natalie Merchant.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3528 on: September 18, 2013, 05:06:59 PM »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3529 on: September 18, 2013, 09:16:13 PM »
Heh heh.  :orbert:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3530 on: September 18, 2013, 09:18:21 PM »
Suzanne Vega - Luka

Wholeheartedly agree.  Couldn't stand this one.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3531 on: September 19, 2013, 08:13:01 AM »
Edie Brickell & New Bohemians - What I Am

Speaking of female-led songs from the late 80s that I never liked, here is another.  For some reason, this song annoyed the living crap out of me at the time.  But my brother Tim liked it a lot, so I was subjected to it more than I wanted to be. :facepalm:  Listening now, it doesn't really annoy me anymore, and I can sort of hear the appeal of it, but I still can't call myself a fan of it.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #3532 on: September 19, 2013, 08:25:28 AM »
What I remember most about this video is Beavis and Butthead watching it and Butthead saying "This chick is deep".

Offline Jaq

« Reply #3533 on: September 19, 2013, 08:47:13 AM »
This album slipped onto the playlist of the manager of the record store I worked at as a seasonal employee right at the tail end of my tenure there, when my hours were cut so low the last time I worked one of the girls who worked there hugged me because she hadn't seen me in ages. Wish I had a story to tell about her, but she was out of even 1980s Jaq's league.  :lol This song was actually one of the "least good" on the album, which makes the success it had all the stranger. And yeah, I remember the Beavis and Butthead episode with this song in it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3534 on: September 19, 2013, 09:53:50 AM »
I like this song.  I love Edie's laid-back style of singing.  Also, I think she's pretty.

Caught her and Steve Martin on TV recently doing their latest song.  Yes, that Steve Martin.  He's a hell of a banjo player.  I have a couple of his albums, and they're awesome.