Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 313232 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #3430 on: August 18, 2013, 02:32:30 PM »
The ankh threw you off Jaq. :lol

BTW  Here's the video.

https://vimeo.com/59277429
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3431 on: August 19, 2013, 09:03:05 AM »
Yep, that sort of does look familiar.

Talking Heads - Road to Nowhere

Another one of those great Talking Heads songs, with another great video.  I always got a kick out of the clips of David Byrne running in place in a little box in the lower right hand corner of the screen for most of the video. :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3432 on: August 19, 2013, 10:27:31 AM »
David Byrne seemed to do a lot of weird stuff just to be weird.  It usually works for me because he was good at it, and I like his brand of weird.  Or maybe he really is that weird.  Either way.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #3433 on: August 19, 2013, 10:29:55 AM »
Byrne seemed to be someone who really WAS that weird, but found ways to make it commercially acceptable. He had the advantage of working in the precise decade to be doing that sort of thing in, to be fair-music video seemed to be more accommodating to weirdness than radio was.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3434 on: August 19, 2013, 11:42:28 AM »
Not my favorite Talking Heads song but still a great one at that.

David Byrne seemed to do a lot of weird stuff just to be weird.  It usually works for me because he was good at it, and I like his brand of weird.  Or maybe he really is that weird.  Either way.

^ All of this.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3435 on: August 20, 2013, 10:03:14 AM »
John Mellencamp - Small Town

Not a bad song, but not one I really was ever that crazy about.  It being one that was literally played non-stop didn't help, as I got tired of it real quickly.  Listening to it now, it is still an okay song, but nothing special.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3436 on: August 21, 2013, 08:37:03 AM »
So bland, it warranted no replies.  That's the spirit! :lol :lol

Yes - Leave It

People can say all they want about 80s Yes and Trevor Rabin, but this song is great, and so was the video.  I remember hearing that there were many other versions of the video, but I never saw any of them. 

Online T-ski

« Reply #3437 on: August 21, 2013, 09:00:20 AM »

Yes - Leave It

People can say all they want about 80s Yes and Trevor Rabin, but this song is great, and so was the video.  I remember hearing that there were many other versions of the video, but I never saw any of them.

great song.  don't remember there being different videos, but I do remember there was an acapella version and non-acapella version of the song.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Jaq

« Reply #3438 on: August 21, 2013, 10:21:36 AM »
There were a ridiculous number of versions of the video, some of them with slight differences, some of them sizable-there was one version where five other people did the song. I remember a day when MTV played every version of the video back to back and it took like an hour.  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3439 on: August 21, 2013, 11:07:19 AM »
I don't hate on 80's Yes as much as some Yesfans do, and "Leave It" was indeed a pretty good song.  The a capella version is pretty cool.  You don't realize how much vocal work is going on in that song until they take all the instruments out, which is all that mix really is.

Quote from: KevShmev

Yep.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3440 on: August 21, 2013, 11:08:18 AM »
Awesome song.  Was never in to 70s yes, and 90125 was my first Yes album - and only one for a very long time.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #3441 on: August 21, 2013, 01:56:34 PM »
the a capella version is still a strong song.  I agree with Orbert.  The amount of talent and work that went into that song are incredible once the vocals are isolated. 
If i recall, the videos really weren't really much.  It was the 5 of them standing there, singing.  One had them flipping around and stuff, like cardboard cutouts.  But all i remember is the regular version and the a capella version.  Were there others?  It's so hard to remember that far back when MTV actually played music.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3442 on: August 21, 2013, 03:12:04 PM »

Not a bad song, but not one I really was ever that crazy about.  It being one that was literally played non-stop didn't help, as I got tired of it real quickly.  Listening to it now, it is still an okay song, but nothing special.

Good song just so damn overplayed.

Yes - Leave It

It was so different at the time and the video added to the allure.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #3443 on: August 21, 2013, 10:14:05 PM »
Night Ranger - Don't Tell Me You Love Me

:heart

Meh on Small Town (agree with King), LOVE Leave It.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3444 on: August 21, 2013, 11:49:58 PM »
Might have said it already in the Yes Thread, I love me some Rabin-era Yes. Leave It is such a great song and the vocal work is awesome.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3445 on: August 23, 2013, 09:07:51 AM »
Speaking of great 70s bands that went more of the pop rock route in the 80s...

Genesis - Mama

I believe this was the first song I ever heard by Genesis, and I can safely say that I thought it was pretty awesome.  I loved the eerie nature of it, and I still do.  I think the breaks with Phil Collins doing that evil laugh are a bit corny, but I suppose they work within the context of the song.  But ultimately this song is a great demonstration that, while their sound may have changed over the years, the greatness of Tony Banks always stayed in tact; his keyboard work totally makes this song.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #3446 on: August 23, 2013, 09:31:25 AM »
I've pretty frequently mentioned that, whenever I think about people saying Genesis was a pop band in the 80s, I always remember that Mama debuted on MTV the same night as Heart and Soul by Huey Lewis and the News, which should go a great way towards explaining just how different Genesis was from most pop bands. I always loved how Mama built from being quiet and eerie to thundering and loud. especially around the time the drums come in. Genesis had that huge gated drum sound down to a science by then. Great song.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3447 on: August 23, 2013, 09:52:45 AM »
Mama was such a weird but awesome song to release as your first single from a new album. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3448 on: August 23, 2013, 10:28:03 AM »
One of my favorite Genesis songs.  And yeah, I'm an old-school Genesis fan and this is one of the "later" songs, but I don't care; good music is good music.

I still remember putting this album on for the first time, and "Mama" is the first song.  There was this low hum coming out of my speakers, and I thought that my ancient stereo was finally dying, and I was bummed.  Turns out it was a low E, part of the song, that I'd never heard before, because I'd only ever heard the song on MTV, and our crummy old TV speakers could never reproduce that low E.  Once I figured out what was going on, the song went from good to great.

Trivia: There is exactly one cymbal crash in this song.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3449 on: August 23, 2013, 10:45:26 AM »

Then it is not metal enough.  :tdwn
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3450 on: August 23, 2013, 11:00:53 AM »
Good thing it's not a metal song, then.   :P

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3451 on: August 23, 2013, 12:49:08 PM »

Reading this reminds me od Neil Peart's playing on Grace Under Pressure.  Neil does not use his 6", 8" & 10" concert toms for the album.  I never caught either.  Interesting.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3452 on: August 23, 2013, 12:49:43 PM »
Good thing it's not a metal song, then.   :P

And with only one cymbal crash, it never will be.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3453 on: August 23, 2013, 03:05:41 PM »
Such a unique song from them. I never knew it was made into a video. Will have to check that out

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3454 on: August 23, 2013, 03:13:09 PM »
The video is unfortunately of the "short" version of the song, but still pretty interesting and powerful.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3455 on: August 24, 2013, 12:52:00 PM »
Heart - What About Love

This song was my introduction to Heart, and I was a fan right away.  Nice melodies, and how could you not love that voice of Ann Wilson's? The video wasn't anything special, but being that it was my introduction to the Wilson sisters, it was memorable.  This was probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite of the five hits from that record.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3456 on: August 24, 2013, 03:16:54 PM »
Saw them om the Bad Animals tour.  Ann Wilson is a powerhouse on this song.  Raw and emotional.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3457 on: August 24, 2013, 03:52:18 PM »
A good 80's Heart tune

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3458 on: August 25, 2013, 11:20:38 AM »
  Ann Wilson is a powerhouse on this song.  Raw and emotional.

Well said.  :tup :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3459 on: August 29, 2013, 08:25:54 AM »
Madonna - Who's That Girl

I liked this song a lot back in 1988 at the ripe old age of 15, and I inexplicably enjoyed the movie of the same name. :facepalm:  But hey, I was only 15, so, uh, yeah, that is the only excuse I got.  The movie is laughably cheesy and dumb now, but the song itself ain't bad.  In fact, it is relatively enjoyable, but she has many that are better. 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #3460 on: August 29, 2013, 09:30:40 AM »
It is a surprisingly good song, actually.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3461 on: August 30, 2013, 11:13:24 AM »
Laura Branigan - Gloria

This was a monster hit back in 1982.  It was catchy enough, and I guess I enjoyed it to some extent, but it wasn't a favorite or anything.  All I remember about the video is that it was about as cheesy as cheesy gets; it was like something you would have seen on Solid Gold. :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3462 on: August 30, 2013, 11:32:58 AM »
The refrain was catchy.  So catchy that I couldn't get it out of my head, even though I didn't like it and actually found it annoying.  Thanks.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3463 on: August 30, 2013, 12:26:35 PM »
I've got to stop reading this thread...too many annoying ear worms.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Jaq

« Reply #3464 on: August 30, 2013, 12:30:14 PM »
The video probably WAS something you saw on Solid Gold.  :lol A lot of early promotional videos were shown on shows like that to try to pass them off as performances-I particularly remember Blondie's video for Heart of Glass turning up on more than one music show as a "live" performance. It took a few years of MTV for videos to move away from that format.

Since I'm not discussing the actual song, that should tell you what I thought of it.  :lol